• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
That animation is perfect! Where did you get this?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Also, Sorry for Snatching the 2000th post Strong One.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
TBH, I imagine Ridley on all 4's moving more like a giant ape for some reason

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
That animation is perfect!

I <3 it so much! Although I still like the "hovering" they use in SSBC for his run animation, although with that model it might look a little awkward.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Think I agree with Oasis on this one. Cool as that animation is, something about the flow, style, or somethin of it just seems like it would not translate too well into a Smash walking animation.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Think I agree with Oasis on this one. Cool as that animation is, something about the flow, style, or somethin of it just seems like it would not translate too well into a Smash walking animation.
I know, it should be his crawl animation. Would be useless though, like bowser's.

:phone:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I ASSUME he's going to stand while idle. If he's going to go on all-fours, then immediately going down from a standing positionwould look unnatural. Doesn't... transition well? Pikachu is a good example of this. His slower walk would need to be walking bipedally. But that walking animation also looks too slow for a fast walk. Speeding it up would look silly. I envision a sort of... three-legged gallop? With one arm raised ready to attack. But that's just been my way to work in a more blood-thirsty personality into Smash.

Getting him to crawl on all-fours could definitely work I think. For walking though, I just don't think it would work well. ALSO MAY JUST BE BIAS BECAUSE I THINK IT LOOKS DUMB REALLY.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I ASSUME he's going to stand while idle. If he's going to go on all-fours, then immediately going down from a standing positionwould look unnatural. Doesn't... transition well? Pikachu is a good example of this. His slower walk would need to be walking bipedally. But that walking animation also looks too slow for a fast walk. Speeding it up would look silly. I envision a sort of... three-legged gallop? With one arm raised ready to attack. But that's just been my way to work in a more blood-thirsty personality into Smash.

Getting him to crawl on all-fours could definitely work I think. For walking though, I just don't think it would work well. ALSO MAY JUST BE BIAS BECAUSE I THINK IT LOOKS DUMB REALLY.
I totally agree with the gallop part.

But I don't envision Ridley standing straight up. Kind of hunched over. His slow walk would be him walking on his hind legs, while his normal walk would look kind of like the animation. If he's already hunched over, the transition wouldn't look very weird. Finally his dash would be a gallop like you suggested.

That's what I imagine anyways.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I know, it should be his crawl animation. Would be useless though, like bowser's.

seeing how trying to imagine ridley crawl is awkward, that could be a fitting crawl animation. I'm among the strain that thinks it wouldn't be could for a walk, though, because of aforementioned awkwardness.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I always thought Ridley would be best-suited with his menacing walk from Prime 3's Omega Ridley fight.

Being unfamiliar with the Metroid series, I only remember that particular video because it was linked pre-Brawl to prove that "Ridley could walk," since "him always flying" was a common talking point of the anti-Ridley goon squad way back when. :troll:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Oh my goodness that's an embarrassing memory. Literally having to get people to observe what those two large dangling appendages at the bottom of Ridley's torso are, and also identify what action it was they were doing when they were wiggling around in rhythm.

And yeah, that walk from the video should be his slow walk, a sort of gallop as his fast walk, and a glide as his dash.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
That walk is perfect for his slow walk.

Were people honestly saying he couldn't walk?

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
The one they would make for this game would definitely be much more refined and cohesive with its transition than the one i posted a page back. I think making him much more feral with some of the on all fours running and what not would give him something all his own among the other fighters. The omega ridley walk animation is ok, but it comes off a bit like a monster in a suit just based on the way he carried himself.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
That walk is perfect for his slow walk.

Were people honestly saying he couldn't walk?
Pretty much.

"He only flies. He never walks. You can't have a character that only flies."

I don't specifically remember someone saying he "can not" walk, but for people to be dense enough to not imagine him actually using his legs is ridiculous.

Phyvo

Smash Journeyman
It's funny reading through this thread and seeing basically the same discussion we had in the pre-brawl days. TBH though I'll always like Ridley as a character my fervor from back then is actually embarrassing in retrospect, I can't possibly work myself up about it now like I used to back in the day. Did I really bother to post all those things?

I hope he makes it, I guess. You can pretty much put any character you want into a video game, the only limitations that matter are development time and resources which limit the pool to well-known characters. Arguing about anything else is pretty pedantic.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It's funny reading through this thread and seeing basically the same discussion we had in the pre-brawl days. TBH though I'll always like Ridley as a character my fervor from back then is actually embarrassing in retrospect, I can't possibly work myself up about it now like I used to back in the day. Did I really bother to post all those things?

I hope he makes it, I guess. You can pretty much put any character you want into a video game, the only limitations that matter are development time and resources which limit the pool to well-known characters. Arguing about anything else is pretty pedantic.
I can definitely relate to that.

What would you guys do if he was a boss again? :awesome:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
What if he's a boss first, and then when you beat him you actually unlock him as a surprise?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
He's going to be the first DLC, but the file size is larger than the wii u can hold

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
And then you get a patch update for Smash which makes Ridley the stage. :smirk:

Top Bottom