• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I've only seen one person compare the shadow to Brawl Ridley so far, but all I have to say that they need to take another look at Brawl Ridley again. He's just so absurdly huge in it.

Though, I think the majority of people do not see Pikachu in the shadow, because I couldn't see Pikachu at first until someone pointed it out (before I thought it was Ridley's leg just looking funny). So embarassing to clearly see Pikachu's lightning tail when it gets pointed out.
The pikachu tail part that was involved of my suspicious why did pikachus tail in the shadow suddenly disapear

I think the shadow gives the illusion that Ridley is so friken huge

And when we saw the tip of his tail the camera was super close so there's no way to tell how big his tail tip was I think the tip of his tail is significantly smaller

Last edited:

Myuutsufan4832

Smash Journeyman
Now that I zoom out to where pikachu looks like his size in brawl Ridley's shadow does look much smaller than in brawl, and looks about a small bit bigger than bowser, which is enough size for a playable character.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'll attempt again to try to learn how some of the neigh-sayers think

From a MARKETING point of view, it does not make sense for Sakurai to be anything but direct about the Ridley situation.
If he cannot be in, he cannot be in, and it would be addressed. Keeping fans in hope of the situation, especially with a SHADOW, is just to build hype. He gains nothing by being a prick about deconfirming Ridley. Bad news is best broken QUICKLY and to the point. A boss does not typically fire an employee by mocking him first, and he certainly wouldnt if he wanted the employee to keep being a customer.

Sure you could say, he DID deconfirm it. But he demonstrated in the direct he is a fan of fakeouts for this game (Zero Suit Samus) and he has been trying to do the unthinkable almost all confirmed characters were not exactly top picks by main fans... the top picks will likely be revealed close to the game release and after, because
-it will please hard core fans; he gains new fans and customers by revealing strange and unthought characters of many franchises before the game,
-he does not get much more from revealing characters for customers who already would buy the game...
-he does get kudos if after the release, they happen to be in the game)
He has also shown he knows the internet plays a part in this games reveal (no subspace because it was ruined in Brawl, not doing too much dojo type of activity), which indicates he is building hype by increasing speculation.
He did not try to highlight the games faults (he just blew threw a bunch of wanted characters as Assists trophies). Ridley is one of the most wanted... why would he tease hard core fans like that?

I just listed too many reasons it not only makes complete sense for him to have teased Ridley, but also many reasons why he obviously could not have been deconfirmed.[/quote]

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
To the argument that Nintendo as a whole doesn't care much for Ridley, I must bring up the fact that during the villain eShop takeover not too long ago, he was right up there with the likes of Bowser and Ganondorf and even had a whole section under his name.

Not a huge point, but it's something.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy

From a MARKETING point of view, it does not make sense for Sakurai to be anything but direct about the Ridley situation.
If he cannot be in, he cannot be in, and it would be addressed. Keeping fans in hope of the situation, especially with a SHADOW, is just to build hype. He gains nothing by being a prick about deconfirming Ridley. Bad news is best broken QUICKLY and to the point. A boss does not typically fire an employee by mocking him first, and he certainly wouldnt if he wanted the employee to keep being a customer.

Sure you could say, he DID deconfirm it. But he demonstrated in the direct he is a fan of fakeouts for this game (Zero Suit Samus) and he has been trying to do the unthinkable almost all confirmed characters were not exactly top picks by main fans... the top picks will likely be revealed close to the game release and after, because
-it will please hard core fans; he gains new fans and customers by revealing strange and unthought characters of many franchises before the game,
-he does not get much more from revealing characters for customers who already would buy the game...
He has also shown he knows the internet plays a part in this games reveal (no subspace because it was ruined in Brawl, not doing too much dojo type of activity), which indicates he is building hype by increasing speculation.
He did not try to highlight the games faults (he just blew threw a bunch of wanted characters as Assists trophies). Ridley is one of the most wanted... why would he tease hard core fans like that?

I just listed too many reasons it not only makes complete sense for him to have teased Ridley, but also many reasons why he obviously could not have been deconfirmed.
Basically, but nay-sayers will undoubtedly say "stop deluding yourselves, it's right there, clear as crystal (except shes not playable either) :troll:

You've got the right idea though. Miiverse is flooded with people asking for his inclusion. Miiverse also is the place where people asked for Lucario to get a mega evolution and for DK to get a roll. I'm near certain they pay attention to us too, as we wouldn't have seen the psuedo Final Destinations being a reality.

Seriously, many need to look through the veil to see the team is putting in work to make this an amazing game. Just little things like reducing Olimars Pikmin count and adding a useful recovery, expanding movesets such as Zeldas and Sheiks, adding new options to old moves (Kirbys Hammer, Dededes Gordos) and removing Pits glide and old recovery but making up for it in his strong new moveset and recovery (Seriously, upon analysis, he has more changes than Bowser!).

They paid attention to the faults of Brawl. If you think the man is truly evil who teases the most wanted character in North America with a shadow to deconfirm him, you're silly. I still believe he's a hazard, but mark my words it's most likely turning out to be like the Toon Link/Alfonzo complex.

Last edited:

GAMERG0D

Smash Rookie
It pains me to say this but Ridley might be playable as a stage hazard. 3DS has Smash Run and what will the Wii U Gamepad do in U? Controlling bosses so a 5th person can "play". I REALLY want to be wrong and have Roidley be a hazard and Ridley/Meta be playable. Some of you may be aware of Yellow Devil having a " 2P" on his eye during the segment. That is because Mario dealt the final blow which creates the explosion and he has "2P" above him. Some people were confused and thought there were 5 players there, but my Gamepad speculation is not related to that.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai is trying to hype Ridley as a stage boss, thinking that we would be happy just to see Ridley in the game regardless of his role.

And you know what the worst part is ? It's going to work, look at all the videos, Miiverse posts and forum posts thanking Sakurai for adding Ridley as a boss rather than as a playable character.

Not that I'm surprised, I mean from one side we have the Too bigots laughing at our despair and on the other side we have the smash fans who accept everything that Sakurai does, I mean these last couple days, I've seen so many people thanking Sakurai for cutting Squirtle and Ivysaur and so many people thanking Sakurai for adding Greninja because it would mean than Mewtwo would not be back, that I'm pretty much sick with any smash forum not called Smashboards.

Anyway to go back to Ridley, my problem right now is the numbers of jumps Ridley seems to have and the fact that his theme, who would be his reveal theme if he were to be announced playable have already been heard =/

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I keep reading about Pikachu's shadow and Ridley grabbing him, can someone point this out to me I just can't see it.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I did have a rather amusing story in my head, involving Ridley.

The story starts with Yoshi and Ridley getting done with their jobs, and wanting to have dinner with someone. Yoshi goes on a date with Rosalina, while Ridley chooses Samus. However, it turns out that Ridley has had problems with Samus outside of his job too.

Ridley asks Yoshi for advice, and Yoshi simply tells him to offer your date some gifts, and order the same meal as her. Dinnertime then arrives, and coincidentally, Yoshi and Ridley end up having dinner at the same location.

Yoshi and Ridley meet up with their dates, and are surprisingly seated next to each other. Yoshi's date with Rosalina is working perfectly, but Ridley's date with Samus is still quite sour.

Soon, Yoshi offers Rosalina some gifts that she happily accepts, and Ridley decided to follow Yoshi's lead. However, every one of Ridley's gifts to Samus got rejected, leaving him even more disturbed.

Not long after that, the two groups begin to order their meal. Yoshi orders the exact same meal as Rosalina, but with Ridley, he finds out the Samus is ordering a meal that he hates to eat. Reluctantly, he decides to order the same meal as Samus, which briefly manages to get Samus's attention.

Dinner gets served, and as usual, Yoshi and Rosalina are in perfect sync, but with Samus and Ridley, upon taking the first bite of his meal, Ridley feels a painful aftermath. Ridley's painful experience has Samus feeling quite amused, but knowing that he's getting somewhere, Ridley eats his other hated meals.

One after another, each of Ridley's meals leave him in horrendous pain, amusing Samus more and more. Eventually, Ridley collapses while feeling very nauseous. Samus then comments to Ridley that he always looked good while in pain.

Ridley then sees the results with Yoshi's date with Rosalina, and nothing bad ever happened between them. Realizing that Samus only appreciates him while he's feeling pain, Ridley gets very upset that his date will always be sour in one way or another.

The next day, Yoshi encounters Ridley at the hospital, feeling very sick, and asks how his date went. The only comment that Ridley said was "chillingly bad".

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Now that I zoom out to where pikachu looks like his size in brawl Ridley's shadow does look much smaller than in brawl, and looks about a small bit bigger than bowser, which is enough size for a playable character.
I think the shadow from the angle and pikachu in his foot

I think his size is a few inches taller than angelglorys ridley which is even better because that's definatly playable size and taller than bowser

I just listed too many reasons it not only makes complete sense for him to have teased Ridley, but also many reasons why he obviously could not have been deconfirmed.
The fake out ZZS thing he did it with palutena as well with that trophy and not to mention in the trophy quiz one of them was Ridleys battle music but it was not ridley

Last edited by a moderator:

Staarih

Smash Master
At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai is trying to hype Ridley as a stage boss, thinking that we would be happy just to see Ridley in the game regardless of his role.
I never really thought of it like that and that point of view is sort of worrying. What if Sakurai truly believes Ridley as a stage hazard/boss is such a "cool" thing, and best for the character, that he is doing all this building up just to reveal him in that specific role?

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord

First off, you shouldn't cite the ZSS incident as a reason why this doesn't confirm ridley. ZSS was literally confirmed 2 seconds after he said she wouldn't return. That is a completely different scenario than the one with ridley.
And Sakurai made it pretty obvious that Ridley would be a boss but hes withholding specifics just as he does with nearly every other aspect of this game. When yellow devil was first shown, he didn't say a word about it. The character customization and cross platform interactivity was kept completely in the dark. Even some stages like pilot wings have not been revealed instantly. Not revealing everything at once has been the biggest common theme with releasing smashbros information.
At this point sakurai expects you to know Ridleys a boss, but hes not showing him off yet. The visuals, attacks, and other details such as killing benefits will be something he'll share later.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Here's one you guys did not catch

After the shadow he never showed ridley again after that shadow in the direct if he was a boss hazard woulden't he have ben shown in another footage of the pyrosphere

And second in the shadow footage why wasen't the hole shown either because he used that hole to escape but that one is just a coincidence

Last edited:

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
CAN SOMEONE CHANGE THE NAME OF THE THREAD ? RIDLEY CAN BE PLAYABLE !

btw on Miiverse all the toobigots I have defeated in the past appeared to tell me I'm an idiot and things like that ... they are so childish ...

however did you notice that Masahiro chosed exactly the King Kihunter's trophy ?
If you don't know much about the Metroid series let me explain
the Kihunters are NOT only normal enemies or animals ... they are another type of space pirates as the Zebesians
and Masahiro showed exactly their leader's trophy ... the leader of a type of space pirates ... LIKE SOMEONE WE KNOW VERY WELL

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Here's one you guys did not catch

After the shadow he never showed ridley again after that shadow in the direct if he was a boss hazard woulden't he have ben shown in another footage of the pyrosphere

And second in the shadow footage why wasen't the hole shown either because he used that hole to escape but that one is just a coincidence
Ridley was also in none of those hundreds of published pictures which showed everything covered in the direct and some things that weren't.

EDIT: Also, I doubt Sakurai would tease Ridley being in a non-playable role. He didn't tease Ridley in Brawl like this. We got an up-front boss announcement and the only disappointment came from seeing his picture on the front page and scrolling down slightly to "Ridley is a boss and not playable".

Last edited:

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I think the shadow from the angle and pikachu in his foot

I think his size is a few inches taller than angelglorys ridley which is even better because that's definatly playable size and taller than bowser
At what point in the video does this happen? Where should I pause it?

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I never really thought of it like that and that point of view is sort of worrying. What if Sakurai truly believes Ridley as a stage hazard/boss is such a "cool" thing, and best for the character, that he is doing all this building up just to reveal him in that specific role?
As I've mentioned before, Ridley was a boss (more then once) in the SSE. Now he'll be a measly stage hazard. Why would Sakurai go through all this hyping for what can only be considered as a character's downgrade?

CAN SOMEONE CHANGE THE NAME OF THE THREAD ? RIDLEY CAN BE PLAYABLE !
We do not know that and as of now, all we know is that he was shown with the tag line "Other boss appearance" so as of now (And I bold "As of now") Ridley is confirmed as a "Boss appearance"

We feed other users the correct and updated information. Not something that's pulled out of theories and conspiracies.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Sorry, Ridley supporters. I think any look for hope at this point is just wishful thinking or denialism. It's still "possible" that Pokemon Trainer is playable, but at this point it's almost impossible to justify entertaining.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
We do not know that and as of now, all we know is that he was shown with the tag line "Other boss appearance" so as of now (And I bold "As of now") Ridley is confirmed as a "Boss appearance"

We feed other users the correct and updated information. Not something that's pulled out of theories and conspiracies.
You mean like

Bowser
Dark samus
Mother brain
The shadow phantom (find mii)
Yellow devil
Chain chomp (boss in mario party 9)
Viridi
Master hand and his brother crazy hand (final destination is a dead give away)
And a few of the trophys

Explanation
They're were all bosses in other games he said other bosses make appearances he diden't say ridley is a boss hazard and these are characters that were/are bosses that appears in the game

Last edited:

Keeshu

Smash Ace

And you know what the worst part is ? It's going to work, look at all the videos, Miiverse posts and forum posts thanking Sakurai for adding Ridley as a boss rather than as a playable character.

Not that I'm surprised, I mean from one side we have the Too bigots laughing at our despair and on the other side we have the smash fans who accept everything that Sakurai does, I mean these last couple days, I've seen so many people thanking Sakurai for cutting Squirtle and Ivysaur and so many people thanking Sakurai for adding Greninja because it would mean than Mewtwo would not be back, that I'm pretty much sick with any smash forum not called Smashboards.

Anyway to go back to Ridley, my problem right now is the numbers of jumps Ridley seems to have and the fact that his theme, who would be his reveal theme if he were to be announced playable have already been heard =/
Greninja being added doesn't mean Mewtwo won't show, just saiyan. Afterall, SSB4 only has 4 Pokemon characters right now, Brawl had 6.

At what point in the video does this happen? Where should I pause it?
Segment starts at 7:19. Pikachu is picked up at 7:22. you see it until he decides to move again at 7:25.
I'd rather outline it and upload it (but too lazy to find a free image site, imgur and imageshack require you to pay now it seems). But Lilt made an image so you can see where pikachu easily by placing some silly pika picture over the shadow. =/ It's something though
http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2..._2014_04_10_um_23_35_45_by_lilt92-d7dxcjy.png
Here's the clip of the shadow if you dont wanna bring up the direct. It can be paused too.
http://gfycat.com/ComfortableIncompatibleAzurewingedmagpie

majora_787

Smash Hero
Yeah the tail is pretty obvious once you realize it's there. Ridley flies off to the left to grab Pikachu in his foot, and then does something (?). Probably throws him.

Also I still find it funny when people come in here to go, "You're all in denial when you point out the obvious suspicious components that make it possible, no matter how likely or unlikely, that Ridley could still be playable". And you know. Deny all of the evidence provided supporting the possibility. I swear, my ignore list is going to get full fast if that keeps up.

majora_787

Smash Hero
That's Ridley's LEGS overlapping and his TAIL swaying back and forth....Blame the ridiculous camera angle.
I'm not so sure. That looks pretty distinctly like Pikachu, and you can see his tail going down behind... whatever is happening.

Man, has anyone tried unskewing the shadow? I can only imagine how difficult that could be, but things are weird to figure out as it is.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
To the argument that Nintendo as a whole doesn't care much for Ridley, I must bring up the fact that during the villain eShop takeover not too long ago, he was right up there with the likes of Bowser and Ganondorf and even had a whole section under his name.

Not a huge point, but it's something.
I found that particularly odd.

Especially considering the Ridley section had a whopping one game (NES Metroid) and used the Ridley sprite over more modern designs.

Ya know, the one that was Samus's height.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Yeah the tail is pretty obvious once you realize it's there. Ridley flies off to the left to grab Pikachu in his foot, and then does something (?). Probably throws him.

Also I still find it funny when people come in here to go, "You're all in denial when you point out the obvious suspicious components that make it possible, no matter how likely or unlikely, that Ridley could still be playable". And you know. Deny all of the evidence provided supporting the possibility. I swear, my ignore list is going to get full fast if that keeps up.
Here one if you don't blink when he exactly moves again his tail instantaneously rises to moving form I think all of the playable characters threw the series with tails they're tails do the same thing

Keeshu

Smash Ace

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
As I've mentioned before, Ridley was a boss (more then once) in the SSE. Now he'll be a measly stage hazard. Why would Sakurai go through all this hyping for what can only be considered as a character's downgrade?
I'd say stage bosses are more than "measly stage hazards". Plus in all honesty, you probably see king bulblin more often than you see ridley in brawl as stages are closer to the core of the game than boss battles.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Let's be real, I am pretty sure Ridley would eat a toad. And then he would significantly increase in size.

... That's how mushrooms work, right? :p

Keeshu

Smash Ace
I just noticed that this might be not his Other M Model

Can't help, but I immediately thought of the toads like snacks for the travel.. :/

Please tell me exactly why you think it's not the Other M model.... I think it's impossible to think otherwise because the swordlike-tip of Other M's Ridley is there. Though I'm curious what you have to say on the matter. :bubblebobble:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I took the liberty of getting a Charizard last night in my copy of Y (I breed perfect Pokemon, so he will be seeing some competitive action).

As a sort of symbolism, I named him Ridley so that I will remember that Direct, be the end result good or bad. I even have the X Mega Stone so he will in fact be a dragon like his namesake.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
That's not what he meant by "Other bosses"
The quote was other bosses make appearances other bosses make appearances alright but not all of them are bosses

I'm doing morly like a loop hole of what his quote was. Is what I mean't

Oh by the way I think people saying your in denial they're the ones In denial. I mean suspicious stuff about Ridleys appearance on the stage they are not taking it literally just like with some people with OMG greninja deconfirmed mewtwo

But I'm on both sides accually 75% checking evidence that he could have trolled us yet again 25% saying I'm not getting my hopes up of ridley being playable

Last edited:
Top Bottom