• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

JediLink

Smash Ace
Am I the only person on the planet that didn't think that movie was "omgsogoodlieksweetjesusomg"?
You'd be surprised. Frozen actually has a pretty decent number of vocal detractors. And they all crazy.

I went into other m expecting a horrid game, but found out the hatred for it was overblown and it was actually a good game despite the stupidity of the way you unlocked new weapons and abiltiles. I thought her reaction to ridley fit I mean he did kill everyone she new as a child and ate her parents. I liked the older games but it did not give samus much personality other then a emotionless mercenary killing things.
Sure, Ridley is a scary dude who killed Samus' parents, but Samus is an experienced and trained warrior who's beaten and humiliated Ridley several times without ever breaking a sweat. That's why her reaction made no sense.

That scene was least of Other M's problems though.

And still Maridia was the worst part of the Super Metroid for me because of getting lost for hour. And what`s about Super Metroid? Isn`t it the best metroid game?
The only thing I don't like about Maridia is that if you accidentally fall into quicksand it can ages to get back out of it again. Other than that, it's impeccable, just like the rest of the game.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I was hoping for Kraid being a boss in Brawl, and of course I'm doing the same here. Wouldn't be too far-fetched either, since even if Ridley's scaled down Kraid would also need to be scaled down in order to fit on the screen at all. However, due to the mass Other M representation I'm leaning more towards the Queen Metroid being the most likely.

On another note, tomorrow will be 10 years since Zero Mission launched in Europe. Zero Mission was my first Metroid game, thus my introduction to Metroid and its great characters, including Ridley of course, the fact that its 10 year anniversary happens to fall on the day of the Direct makes me very eerie. Of course I don't expect Sakurai to take note of a random game like ZM's european release date of all things, if Ridley is shown tomorrow it'll be a pure coincidence, but the fact that the Direct falls on such an important date to me is still very striking, and Ridley being revealed would be the perfect way for me to celebrate my 10 years as a Metroid fan, considering his appearance in the Melee intro is what dragged me into the franchise to begin with.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Let's hope for the best, the best being Ridley being back, looking more like his Brawl self than Other M self and Nintendo announcing a new WiiU service that dispenses candy from the WiiU's touch screen.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Let's hope for the best, the best being Ridley being back, looking more like his Brawl self than Other M self and Nintendo announcing a new WiiU service that dispenses candy from the WiiU's touch screen.
OR looking more like Meta Ridley...and cookies coming out of the screen would be better.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Hey guys, long time no see. Ridley's day is coming, uh? :'D

Maybe.

Probably not.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I can't help but agree that the Metroid Assist Trophy has me thinking about tomorrow. OOOh man, I'm starting to rethink Ridley and tomorrow. I can't shake the vibe that he could happen.

I'm still not ruling out the possibility of more than one newcomer. But I won't hold my breathe.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Speaking of bosses, Kraid's stage from Melee (Brinstar Depths iirc) could be edited to become a stage for fighting him. Might be a fun boss fight, it wouldn't be limited to just dodging his attacks and attacking him.

silver_blade001

Smash Apprentice
Man, I swear this pic of the day is messing with me the day before the direct and it has a Metroid on it.

But also another boss that some of you guys forgot about is the Omega Metroid, you had to fight a couple of them in Metroid 2 and was the final fight in fusion (although immensely easy though).

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Man, I swear this pic of the day is messing with me the day before the direct and it has a Metroid on it.

But also another boss that some of you guys forgot about is the Omega Metroid, you had to fight a couple of them in Metroid 2 and was the final fight in fusion (although immensely easy though).
Yeah...Metroid PotD...many hints on the "size doesn`t matters"...a lot of Pyrosphere pics without Ridley...and ESPECIALLY METROID PotD! Thats a lot of hints...
And i doubt he will work really well because M2 version is too small while Fusion version`s core armor/skin/covering is invincible against everything other than Ice/Wave/Plasma beam...so...i can`t see him working really well...

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Guys I would not think the Potd hints ridley it's just a metroid

Besides if you overthink and ridley is not shown tomorrow we are looking at disapointment (until E3 anyway)

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
God ****in dammit sakurai. Here I was, properly convinced myself that if there was a character reveal tomorrow it probably wouldn't be Ridley, and he has to go and SHOWBOAT his fancy new HD metroid in our faces.

SAKURAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Blah, Internet DCed for one day, and I miss a bunch of conversations I wanted to say something to. This thread grows so fast.

Seeing Ridley VS Kraid sounds neat though. Even if it'll be one-sided because Ridley will be a player.

@ the emotionless Samus convo
Only games I've played through were Super Metroid, Metroid Prime 1&2 (want to play more of course). Only got a little to play of the original. In those games she seems pretty emotionless. I don't remember Samus getting emotional over the Metroid either, she just sells it to some scientists.
Samus doesn't have to be an emotionless being.... Just being a stoic character that feels the need to be told what to do when she's used to working alone, and being afraid of someone she's killed plenty of times before.... It just doesn't go well together. Of course, they could have made it worse, they could have made Samus a female Kratos/Hulk. Just adding a wimpy personality to one of gaming's strongest female individuals is a bit strange.
That's just my opinion on the matter though.
I've watched a playthrough for most of Other M. Didn't finish it though, it made me want to play the game so badly, so I might be missing something at the end that justifies her being a wimp....It also made me want to borrow/buy some of team ninja's Ninja Gaiden games. Even if those Ninja Gaiden Games are cheesy and broken like crazy.

Can`t imagine it? TOO BAD! RIDLEY DANCE TIME!

Maybe Gangnam Style Ridley will be next...but i don`t know how exactly he should move.

And Other M isn`t THAT bad of course. It has good graphics, good gameplay (it has few flaws/issues, but for the most part is good enough), but lacks music outside of escape theme/music and boss themes (as far as i know), bad story (can be ignored, but still is bad) and awful excuse for not allowing you to use upgrades...at least those that can`t damage someone (Varia and Gravity suits and Space Jump, other upgrades can kill weak enemies and humans of course). Why not blame hyper beam for overriding beams and Mother Brain for destroying all of the power bombs, missiles and super missiles? That would be a bit better.

And i REALLY want Ridley to be revealed at Nintendo Direct. Or at least at E3...but i hope he will be revealed at Direct. I just can`t wait for it.
Thanks a whole ton. So funny and I think it's my favorite out of the 3.

Also, I generally try to avoid hype, especially since most of the time people get hyped up they end up being wrong...... But gosh darnit guys you've hit me so hard with the hype train it's hard for me to believe that Ridley won't be revealed tomorrow.

OdangoKnight

Smash Cadet
Not the greatest theory but still one I have. Back during Rosalina's reveal, during the CGI segment, all five (DK) other Mario characters appeared. I always found it odd that Luigi and Peach were revealed so quickly and seemingly in time for production for her cinematic (now that I think about it there was a few months apart but I guess it helped make her reveal happen). I have a feeling today's Metroid reveal and the Mother Brain reveal, are likely to appear in his cinematic (i.e Samus contemplates past encounters then it gets to Ridley). It goes hand in hand with all the galaxy stage reveals in comparison with all the heavy teasing in the recent PotD.

Maybe I'm brain farting because we all know Sakurai doesn't really work in trends, ech.

silver_blade001

Smash Apprentice
And i doubt he will work really well because M2 version is too small while Fusion version`s core armor/skin/covering is invincible against everything other than Ice/Wave/Plasma beam...so...i can`t see him working really well...
Well if you want to take that into consideration why was Meta-Ridley a boss in Brawl he was only weak to the plasma beam by hitting him in the chest plate. It doesn't matter if they are weak to only one thing they can get around that.

fill

20EggsEggs
maybe i'm wrong but i'm not sure he would hint at anything right before. I think we gets a bigger reaction out of "didn't expect that" reveal

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Well if you want to take that into consideration why was Meta-Ridley a boss in Brawl he was only weak to the plasma beam by hitting him in the chest plate. It doesn't matter if they are weak to only one thing they can get around that.
Good point...i forgot about tha- wait, Meta RIDLEY being weak to Plasma Beam?! Shouldn`t that be the weakest beam against him if he can survive temperatures of Lower Norfair? Then i can imagine Omega Metroid jumping from one side of the stage to another, swiping with his claws, drooling/spitting acid while jumping/when someone gets too close, etc.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I think Kraid would work extremely well as a Smash boss. Thought that since Brawl. I mean Ridley was sort of like another Master Hand fight, but I think Kraid could offer something pretty unique among the cast of bosses. The way he shoots out platforms from his belly, making players have to jump up from them to his head, just works seamlessly with the way Smash plays and is pretty interesting compared to the rather dull boss fights presented in Brawl. GRANTED it may be a little weird making a boss, tailored to a character with projectiles, work for the close combat sorts of characters.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I think Kraid would work extremely well as a Smash boss. Thought that since Brawl. I mean Ridley was sort of like another Master Hand fight, but I think Kraid could offer something pretty unique among the cast of bosses. The way he shoots out platforms from his belly, making players have to jump up from them to his head, just works seamlessly with the way Smash plays and is pretty interesting compared to the rather dull boss fights presented in Brawl. GRANTED it may be a little weird making a boss, tailored to a character with projectiles, work for the close combat sorts of characters.
Or like, that stage in melee, but like, but you have to hit him.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I barely made it through the night with some sleep because the hype has been slowly getting to me. Then Sakurai had to pull this little stunt and smack my brain into hype overdrive.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
THE HYPE IS REAL, GENTLEMEN

I MEAN, IT'LL PROBABLY JUST LEAD TO DISAPPOINTMENT, BUT WE'RE RIDLEY FANS. IF THERE'S ANYTHING WE KNOW, IT'S DISAPPOINTMENT.

-hands out hype guns and pushes you all out of those Space Pirate carriers from Prime 3- GIVE EM HELL, BOYS AND GIRLS

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I'm surprised at the lack of Metroid Prime love. Given that it could be split up into 2 boss fights and for that battle music alone, it would make a great successor to the Ridley fights in Brawl.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
THE HYPE IS REAL, GENTLEMEN

I MEAN, IT'LL PROBABLY JUST LEAD TO DISAPPOINTMENT, BUT WE'RE RIDLEY FANS. IF THERE'S ANYTHING WE KNOW, IT'S DISAPPOINTMENT.

-hands out hype guns and pushes you all out of those Space Pirate carriers from Prime 3- GIVE EM HELL, BOYS
:3 and GIRLS, please

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Sorry, ma'am. :laugh:

I'm surprised at the lack of Metroid Prime love. Given that it could be split up into 2 boss fights and for that battle music alone, it would make a great successor to the Ridley fights in Brawl.
Well, the Metroid Prime could still be playable. :smirk:

Seriously, I know it's probably greedy (no it isn't, those Mario fellows still want another newcomer), but Dark Samus and Ridley would blow my mind. Coupled with King K. Rool and Mewtwo, I'd probably just die from Sakurai's sudden hyper-competence.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
If ridley is confirmed playable and it's tomorrow the reaction gifs are going to be like for 123 pages of reaction gifs and videos of celebration

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I'm not sure if Ridley is in Smash bros..

BUT MY NEW NEIGHBOR SAYS MAYBE, BABY
also it's sucking my brains out, please help

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
As long as it's Butterfingers... I'll be happy.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
If ridley is confirmed playable and it's tomorrow the reaction gifs are going to be like for 123 pages of reaction gifs and videos of celebration
And i will make a message with spoiler that, when opened, will FLOOD the page with reaction gifs from Roidley, Ridley and Meta Ridley. I promise.
And isn`t it a bit suspicious why METROID was revealed 1 day before Nintendo Direct? Not earlier or later...don`t ya think so?
Wait...you are...well, that is as surprising for me as when i realized that samus is "she", not "he"...
What's terrifying funny to think about is that a single Metroid could probably level modern civilization.
And do that while looking CUTE!..just like a lot of animals in Australia!

Keeshu

Smash Ace
I really think they should put more Metroids as an early Mini-boss just so you get to feel how powerful they are. I never felt any threat from them because by the time you see them, you can just kick their butts.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
4_4_by_alyxcaptor-d35wb6j.jpg

"THE TIME HAS FINALLY COME!"

Geez...im not going to be able to sleep tonight.... :D I HAVE ALL MY HOPES UP!

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I really think they should put more Metroids as an early Mini-boss just so you get to feel how powerful they are. I never felt any threat from them because by the time you see them, you can just kick their butts.
Pretty much any situation where

A.) You don't have the Ice Beam and
B.) there are Metroids

is terrifying. Metroids have massive potential to be Xenomorph-esque nightmare fuel, they just never get properly used.

Top Bottom