• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
So, they got cut because of the system budget space limitations? Oh well, i still can`t wait for the final version of this picture...if its not the final version of course

And just my attempt #1 at animating Roidley:
xD the funny thing is that i used that exact same gif for reference....and it is just me or you got his beak downwards?

oh, it is the final version....my sketches always stay like that....as sketches...

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
xD the funny thing is that i used that exact same gif for reference....and it is just me or you got his beak downwards?
oh, it is the final version....my sketches always stay like that....as sketches...
Yes, because of what i heard about him (Duckley and other things like that), i edited both of his jaws. Does it makes him less duck-ish?..and you found this anim in Google or..?

Still, they are pretty good and better than my sketches/drawings.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Yes, because of what i heard about him (Duckley and other things like that), i edited both of his jaws. Does it makes him less duck-ish?

Still, they are pretty good and better than my sketches/drawings.
:3 thanks...i hope to see your drawings!

xD and yes, it looks less duck-faced.....but even, it doesn't match the awesome designs of the Classic Ridley, Meta and Omega..... :3

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
:3 thanks...i hope to see your drawings!

xD and yes, it looks less duck-faced.....but even, it doesn't mach the awesome designs of the Classic Ridley, Meta and Omega..... :3
I think i had at least one somewhere...
Well, no one matches awesomeness of classic ridley and meta ridley! I hope if he will appear in Smash 4, they will either combine Roidley and Classic designs or just make organic version of Meta Ridley.

Edit: looks like i found something, but it was done in MS Paint and isn`t as good as hand-drawn pictures of course:
And something not drawn, but more like put together:

Last edited:

AndreaAC

I think i had at least one somewhere...
Well, no one matches awesomeness of classic ridley and meta ridley! I hope if he will appear in Smash 4, they will either combine Roidley and Classic designs or just make organic version of Meta Ridley.
Oh, and i found the animation on Deviantart....i have some of your Ridley animations that i use for reference actually :) those animations are awesome!

:3 nice drawing by the way! and nice Spore..um...Ridley! (i don't know how they are called)

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
So, they got cut because of the system budget space limitations? Oh well, i still can`t wait for the final version of this picture...if its not the final version of course

And just my attempt #1 at animating Roidley:
That looks amazing! Just looking at that makes me think about how good Ridley is going to look in SSB4, after months of seeing models created by Angelglory and Mario & Sonic guy.

My one complaint is that the tail is moving back and forth too rapidly, which is distracting from the space dragon himself.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
My one complaint is that the tail is moving back and forth too rapidly, which is distracting from the space dragon himself.
I tried to replicate his tail animation from GBA games. Yeah...it kinda goes up too high...

Oh, and i found the animation on Deviantart....i have some of your Ridley animations that i use for reference actually :) those animations are awesome!

:3 nice drawing by the way! and nice Spore..um...Ridley! (i don't know how they are called)
Then im glad someone uses them, especialy for such drawings. If you will need more references - then just ask me.
You can call them just spore creatures. Does they look close enough to the original sprites?

3 days before Nintendo Direct. Maybe it took them so long because they were working on a new Ridley model?.....Hey, a man can dream, right?

Last edited:

AndreaAC

I tried to replicate his tail animation from GBA games. Yeah...it kinda goes up too high...

Then im glad someone uses them, especialy for such drawings. If you will need more references - then just ask me.
You can call them just spore creatures. Does they look close enough to the original sprites?

3 days before Nintendo Direct. Maybe it took them so long because they were working on a new Ridley model?.....Hey, a man can dream, right?
:3 THANK YOU SO MUCH! they have been really helpful for me to draw Ridley....even, im still looking one with Omega like the animation i have on my signature (maybe turning 360 grades)...since it it the hardest design of Ridley for me to draw....and maybe Roidley turning 360 grades, since i want to focus on those two designs since im planning future proyects with those....(sorry for asking for too much...)

And of course! they look REALLY good! and the colors are perfect!

And yeah, that's possible...! i hope sakurai fixes that design...or makes a better one....

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
:3 THANK YOU SO MUCH! they have been really helpful for me to draw Ridley....even, im still looking one with Omega like the animation i have on my signature (maybe turning 360 grades)...since it it the hardest design of Ridley for me to draw....and maybe Roidley turning 360 grades, since i want to focus on those two designs since im planning future proyects with those....

And of course! they look REALLY good! and the colors are perfect!

And yeah, that's possible...! i hope sakurai fixes that design...or makes a better one....
Then i will edit this post and add animation of T-posed Roidley rotating 360 degree/grades in 3 directions (horizontaly, verticaly and diagonaly) soon if you don`t need him in normal poses. Then just use something that can view animations frame-by-frame.
and thanks, Armlesspuppeteer09 and AndreaAC.

And i think i found 2nd argument why Ridley can`t be in SSB4!
He will bring too much fanservice into SSB4 and he is just too awesome

Edit: attempt #2:

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Back to the topic/thread, why does anyone thinks he should be bad on the ground when he is clearly capable of being bada$$ on the ground in Metroid Other M (try to fight him without using sense move and he will kick Samus` suit hard unless you are THAT bada$$)? Yes, he isn`t as fast as he is while in the air, but he can go through the entire arena in 1 or 2 claw swipes without really moving his legs.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Back to the topic/thread, why does anyone thinks he should be bad on the ground when he is clearly capable of being bada$$ on the ground in Metroid Other M (try to fight him without using sense move and he will kick Samus` suit hard unless you are THAT bada$$)? Yes, he isn`t as fast as he is while in the air, but he can go through the entire arena in 1 or 2 claw swipes without really moving his legs.
Ridley usually isn't all that agile while on the ground, for example the whole Meta Ridley ground phase is based on getting him to stand too tall on his hind legs where he can't properly control himself. Furthermore, he walks around very clumsily unless he's on all four, as shown in the Omega Ridley fight. Even in Other M he is quite slow on the ground, but is shown to have so much more freedom while in the air. It's a neat way to integrate it into his playstyle, and would also establish some automatic balance given that he'll already have a lot of range and a great air-game to boot. His ground game doesn't need to be incredibly awful, but it should still be clunky enough to make you want to take off into the air whenever possible.

Falco865

Smash Apprentice
Would Ridley really work as a Smash Bros character?

It's not that he's too big, it's that he likes really weird scaled down unlike Bowser. Like, all the Ridley brawl hacks just look really awkward.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

It's not that he's too big, it's that he likes really weird scaled down unlike Bowser. Like, all the Ridley brawl hacks just look really awkward.
DID YOU EVER SAW RIDLEY HACK THAT DOESN`T USES CHARIZARD`S RIG? Calm down, calm down...Does that looks weird (ignore the problem with his feet being in the floor...just ignore that part) for you:

THIS is how Ridley really looks in Brawl and its just Charizard`s rig that ruins PSA hack. And that model may or may not be used in Smash 4 and may have different proportions. Any objections?
Hope i wasn`t harsh/rude...

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Considering Angelglory showed that Ridley even when scaled down a bit in his comparisons is still able to grab Samus in one hand, I thought of something: What if Ridley's grab system worked differently from other characters?

What I mean is, when a character grabs an enemy, they can usually only throw them upward, downward, or horizontally, but what if with Ridley, he could just pick someone up just like a mere item, and fly and move around with the character stuck in his hand, and is able to throw them anywhere at will?

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
What I mean is, when a character grabs an enemy, they can usually only throw them upward, downward, or horizontally, but what if with Ridley, he could just pick someone up just like a mere item, and fly and move around with the character stuck in his hand, and is able to throw them anywhere at will?
Thats OP unless opponent can break out of the grab just like during DK`s fwd throw. Even then it is still OP at other hand because thats means he will be able to go close to a blast line then throw opponent.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Considering Angelglory showed that Ridley even when scaled down a bit in his comparisons is still able to grab Samus in one hand, I thought of something: What if Ridley's grab system worked differently from other characters?

That'd be pretty cool. I mean, just make it easier to break out at lower percentages (so that you have to EARN a good pick up n' throw), and it would be another way Ridley could be unique. It seems silly to me that so many people just dismiss Ridley as a "boring dragon" when he has so much glaring gameplay potential. You don't even have to dig for it. It's just right there in front of you.

There are so many cool new gimmicks that would fit perfectly with Ridley: aerial Smash attacks, air grabs, unique item/character carrying, bombing-run projectiles, and, of course, the "Large and In-Charge in the Air" style so many of us attribute him with. I'm excited to play as Ridley because, obviously, he's Ridley, but also because I want to see what they do with him.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

By far the majority of Brawl hacks which uses model imports look weird as hell, the only really good Brawl hacks are modifications of existing models, small or big ones. A single guy trying to hack in Ridley can't accomplish what Sakurai and a whole team of dedicated developers can.

AndreaAC

@BaganSmashBros Thank you so much! and how i could forgot that the word is degree (english is not my first language....) and i wish i could reply sooner but i fell asleep....

Q2A571_0D6523AD4430A_001.gif

Last edited:

AndreaAC

I wish I could draw Ridley better...
Practice, lots of practice...that's all you need....and patience...because even if i love to draw him a lot....sometimes he gets on my nerves and does not come out like i want him to come out....

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I think Ridley's complex design, one that's hard to commit to memory, is one of the reasons people have such trouble seeing him in Smash and believing he'd be more awkward than any other weirdo character we already have in Smash. They literally can't see him in Smash because they don't know what he looks like. The idea of Ridley in Smash just doesn't cross their mind very often at all, unlike us who think of it day and night, so they never have a chance to correct it.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
@BaganSmashBros Thank you so much! and how i could forgot that the word is degree (english is not my first language....) and i wish i could reply sooner but i fell asleep....

View attachment 11440
Aw...he looks so cute when sleeping!
Anywhooze, here is all angles required for Roidley:
I hope you don`t need to see his tail in all angles.

Now, lets just hope Ridley will be revealed at Nintendo Direct...

AndreaAC

Aw...he looks so cute when sleeping!
Anywhooze, here is all angles required for Roidley:
I hope you don`t need to see his tail in all angles.

Now, lets just hope Ridley will be revealed at Nintendo Direct...
THANK YOU SO MUCH! This is really helpful!

xD when i saw Roidley spining i think he is all like "Weeeee!"

:facepalm: oh, i forgot to ask...could you do the same spining with Brawl Ridley and Meta? SORRY...!

AndreaAC

SCAN0139.JPG

xD i was listening to "Taming Epona" theme from Zelda Twilight Princess after a long time and this idea came to my mind....

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I don't think I've seen this concept art before, but it's pretty cool. Some of it is also pretty goofy. It's a real one stop shop. Just like your local Walmart save money live better.

Ridley has a rather pained expression there. Poor thing. Feel sorry for him.

Last edited:

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664

Samus and Yoshi are having a SERIOUS CONVERSATION.
Everyone is constantly bringing up Ridley's "size" in Miiverse.....couldn't help myself....:chuckle:

AndreaAC

I2A571_0D6544E638A5E_002.gif

Really...Roidley deserved it...

God, i love putting expressions on the Classic Ridley....how i can change him from his aparently "normal" self to his "tainted with blood, insane murderer" self...and i was bored

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Wii Fit Trainer could be helping Roidley learn some stretching positions, placing his hands all over Roidley's body, and during a particular intimate stretching position, Wii Fit Trainer's bulge accidentally brushes against Roidley. And it's through his yoga pants so like I mean y'know Roidley would feel every little (or big) mouth-watering (or butt-watering) detail. They both look away blushing and nervously laugh.

Later is when the riding begins.
Wow....man...........Wa Da Hell!!!

Top Bottom