• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
@ Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei
I feel like he'll make the Bowser Challenge have a huge successor.
As for Sentinel-esque, he'd likely be similar to Sentinel.
-Both can "fly" (Ridley would likely have 3/4 jumps to accomodate Smash's engine)
-Both have slow walks or crawls
-Ridley is a good comparison to Sentinel's size. He'd be bigger than the cast, with a few exceptions.
As for other qualities..
-No armor. Ridley doesn't exactly have armor.
-Limited Projectiles. Have one or two projectile moves that are slow.
-Long reach.

Hopefully that starts some discussion?

Welshy91

Smash Ace
You mean like those who say "Sonic was only included to pander to the Sega fanboys?"

Those people are going to say stuff regardless of what happens.

And if Ridley is a playable character than will we really care in the end? We'll be too busy playing as him.

I see where you're coming from but entertain the thought for a bit.
Oh! You meant hypothetically, not for srs. If Ridley were gonna be in a big class of his own then I would be somewhat disappointed but I would get over it as soon as I played as him. He would need over the top stupid crazy power behind his attacks to make it worth being a huge target. Something like that seems like it'd be hard to balance but satisfying if done correctly.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Oh yeah. I just want to make a moveset and playstyle with you guys and see what we can come up with.
I can give out a few things for attacks and the like if so desired. I love working on movesets, especially detailed ones. And even more especially, collab movesets!

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I can give out a few things for attacks and the like if so desired. I love working on movesets, especially detailed ones. And even more especially, collab movesets!
Let's do it.

So first things first I guess....

How can a large character work and how large would we consider "large?"

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei , Large characters are typically assorted with slow walk speeds, heavy weight, a large size, and sometimes slow yet powerful attacks.
In Smash, it's also similar in this way.
Large characters in Brawl, for example, are...
-Bowser (fits three of the four typical aspects)
-Ganondorf (all four)
Usually a fighting game has a handful of characters that are considered "large" (In UMVC3, they can be considered characters such as Hulk, Haggar, Sentinel and Dormammu)
In the case of Ridley, he fits the slow walking speed (Though his run is different), the heavy weight is likely, he's big, and he has had some slow yet devastating attacks.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Alright guys!

Let's look at this at a different angle.

People want Ridley to be big?

Let's make him big!

I propose we make him this game's Sentinel or Golden Lightan!

For those of you who don't know...

Sentinel and G. Lightan are very large characters and yet they were put in fighting games.

Here is Sentinel for example.

The idea is that yes, Ridley is much much larger than any other character, but he is so because that's his shtick! It's his gimmick.

Now, that may sound all fine and dandy but this idea has been talked about before, has it not?

Well yes! Yes, it has! But never in a lot of detail.

Individuals such as @GoldenYuiitusin have brought it up before.

Still, aside from just saying "yeah, that'd be cool," we've never done anything about it.

So let's stop that!

I'm calling out to all of you Ridley fans out there!

Let's make a whole moveset and playstyle like that!

Let's embrace "DA BIGZ" and show those detractors something that will make their heads spin!

Who's with me?

Are you truly suggesting that Ridley should, or rather could possibly be big in smash bros? And still be playable?

That's a strange concept, even for you, Herr Forehead. but I'll give it a go.

Maybe he could look... about this big?

if this is about the size you are suggesting, sure it could work....

...however, it would be completely impractical! creating a character of that size would create major balancing issues!
It's hard enough to balance a character like that in games like UMvC3, but smash is an entirely different factor entirely!
many more things need to be taken into account than a natural 2D fighter! for all it's worth, I think it would be far simpler
to scale Ridley down than the hassle of making a huge charater!

Even you should be able to see my logic, Herr Forehead.​

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Actually, the characters that are generally far less balanced are smaller/middle weight in UMVC3.
Zero, Wesker, Vergil, Dante...
In MVC2 they threw away balance, that's only when we've seen a large and very broken character. Which was Sentinel. Which wasn't scaled down.
Size doesn't always matter with balance. We can perfectly see a new level of size in Smash 4 without too much worry on balance.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
The way I see it, Ridley should be the biggest character, but his stance puts him on an equal sizing as the rest of the cast. His wings are folded tightly and he's hunched over in a crawling position. His walking speed is slow and menacing, but his run is a very fast bounding movement. You really see his size when he's aerial. Part of his gimmick is that he's a bigger target in the air than on the ground, but his air game is among the best (if he isn't shot down first).

Shalashaska

Banned via Warnings
I, like others on here, think that Ridley should be the largest character in the game, but I don't think that he should be so large that his whole playstyle is based around the fact that he towers over everyone else.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Make him a little bit bigger height wise than Bowser, and about Charizard's width, and there you go. Working off of HotFeet's pic of Ridley on Battlefield, if he's clipping through the platforms, then he's good. Bowser clips them, as will Ganondorf.

andimidna

Smash Master
Ridley vs Charizard vs Tiki would make me cry tears of joy.
Smash needs moar dragonsss

On a more related note, somebody on Miiverse tried to tell me Tiki was too big last week.
No, seriously. They said because Ridley is too big, all Manaketes are also too big.
I remember a few people saying Rosalina was too big... and have seen it said once about K Rool.

You can't give nonsense/ obviously invalid arguments about certain characters just because you don't like them/ want them in Smash.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Something special I've made for Ridley's loyal Space Pirate army and supporters. Getting the wings and proportions right were the most challenging parts of this piece.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I wonder what pose he will take when he falls asleep by Jigglypuff's singing....i would like to see him wrapping his wings around himself like this
Untitled.png

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I wounder what pose he will take when he falls asleep by Jigglypuff's singing....i would like to see him wrapping his wings around himself like this
View attachment 10926
That would be adorable and cool at the same time if that were to happen. Unless Sakurai would just have him lying on the ground and sleeping like the average dragon.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
That would be adorable and cool at the same time if that were to happen. Unless Sakurai would just have him lying on the ground and sleeping like the average dragon.
:3 yeah, and i think he also wraps his tail around his feet in that cinematic... but i think Sakurai would find a pose for him to sleep that makes him look peaceful, cool, and also adorable

Last edited:

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664

According to the Japanese August Pyrosphere, Samus "trauma" might appear.....
We all know that Ridley is the only person to make Samus undergo PTSD (In the Metroid Manga and Other M)...
In all Metroid games and in Brawl, Samus confronted her "trauma" a.k.a Ridley IN A FIGHT and I have a feeling that would be the same in SSB4.

Besides, having Ridley as a stage hazard (shooting fireballs from a distance) would make Ridley look like a coward.

I think I know where the "Ridley will be a stage hazard" Rumor came from
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gy0gLQEyPg&feature=player_detailpage

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I really want Ridley to have his stupid tongue hanging out most of the time, ESPECIALLY when he's put to sleep. Just kind of lolling out the side there. Maybe he'd twitch his claws too, like he's dreaming up ripping enemies apart. Adorable.

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664

Sakurai would probably use the Other M Ridley to make him playable...but there is the size issue....I got a solution for that.
Look at the left image....There is the NES SIZES of Samus and Ridley...Ridley could have the SAME SCALE as the NES for SSB4...

Since Samus is clearly the tallest character in SSB4 (emphasized in a POTD of the ladies and Little Mac's Trailer)...I think Ridley would not look so big now if he gets the SIZE SCALE from the NES.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman

Sakurai would probably use the Other M Ridley to make him playable...but there is the size issue....I got a solution for that.
Look at the left image....There is the NES SIZES of Samus and Ridley...Ridley could have the SAME SCALE as the NES for SSB4...

Since Samus is clearly the tallest character in SSB4 (emphasized in a POTD of the ladies and Little Mac's Trailer)...I think Ridley would not look so big now if he gets the SIZE SCALE from the NES.
Please NOT the Other M model, something about his head seems disproportionate. I'd be happiest with the one that appeared in SSE.

lurxy

Smash Cadet
NNID
lurxylux
Switch FC
SW 7645 5399 8874
I think the Other M Ridley would be the logical choice because he looks more humanoid to me.
Just look at this artwork and tell me that he does not in fact look like a purple man with wings.

I know he is quite bulky in game, but if we get to see Ridley, I'm afraid it would be something like the Other M proportions because they are easier to implement for a 2D fighting game.

I also prefer the original design over the Other M design but I think this one would be easier for the developers. A mix between these two would be the best tough.

silver_blade001

Smash Apprentice
According to the Japanese August Pyrosphere, Samus "trauma" might appear.....
I hear this quite a bit, but seeing the fact that I can't read Japanese nor can I find the original quote for it, where can I find said quote and what does the whole thing translate too.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

Am I the only one who thinks that Other M Ridley isn't huge at all? Oh he's larger than Samus but all right, but not to the point that changing his size would make a huge difference. The difference in height seems to be similar to that of Ganondorf's and Link's in Twilight Princess:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I think the Other M Ridley would be the logical choice because he looks more humanoid to me.
Just look at this artwork and tell me that he does not in fact look like a purple man with wings.

I know he is quite bulky in game, but if we get to see Ridley, I'm afraid it would be something like the Other M proportions because they are easier to implement for a 2D fighting game.

I also prefer the original design over the Other M design but I think this one would be easier for the developers. A mix between these two would be the best tough.
I'd genuinely cry tears of joy if we saw this design being used for Ridley. Why they changed it so much when modeling it is something that I'll never understand.

Typs

Smash Cadet

Wait, that's the concept art for other m ridley?... This looks 10 times better than the ridley in the game! How did this happend? Still not a fan of the skipes and the beak but this looks...good.
Of course super metroid/prime/zero mission ridley all look better, but if this is the design they chose for smash4 i wont be too mad (Prime ridley is best ridley!).

Hold on a second... Why does ridley have a such a...good looking...hum...behind?
Stupid sexy ridley...

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

It's funny, you can see in the lower left corner that they actually planned on bringing back the snapping neck. Not to mention that the side view of the head shows he was supposed to have a bigger upper jaw, as opposed to his in-game appearance where his lower jaw is just as long as the upper one. His jaws also end in a much more natural manner, instead of going outwards like a rubber duck's beak. If Smash at least has this design I'll be incredibly happy, here's hoping that this is the concept art they send Sakurai if he asks for it from the original designers.

Last edited:

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664
I hear this quite a bit, but seeing the fact that I can't read Japanese nor can I find the original quote for it, where can I find said quote and what does the whole thing translate too.
Go to Sakurai's Japanese Profile in Miiverse and search for the FIRST Pyrosphere Pic (Somewhere in August 2013)...You will find the Quote there.
Use Google Translate (Copy&Paste the Text)

Please NOT the Other M model, something about his head seems disproportionate. I'd be happiest with the one that appeared in SSE.
Be prepared to be disappointed...Since Samus is having her Other M Suit design and with the inclusion of the Pyrosphere, It is highly likely Ridley would have his Other M design....
I could be wrong, though...but for consistency, Other M Ridley is most likely.

Last edited by a moderator:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Be prepared to be disappointed...Since Samus is having her Other M Suit design and with the inclusion of the Pyrosphere, It is highly likely Ridley would have his Other M design....
Perhaps, but that doesn't necessarily mean he'll look exactly like OM Ridley. Samus still retains some of her old design such as the shoulder armor after getting the makeover.

For example, Ridley could have his classic mouth instead of the duck beak thing and not have a blade on his tail while keeping the overall OM look.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Who the hell modeled Other Ridley? They should seriously be fired. That concept, besides looking a little too human for my taste (and the awful tail-sword thing), deals with pretty much every single one of my problems with Roidley's design.

Ugh. Incompetence.

Last edited:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
To be fair, Brawl had Samus use her Zero Mission design, likely due to having Zero Suit Samus as well, while Ridley was seen with his Super Metroid design instead of using his Zero Mission design alongside Samus.

I would think he would once again resemble his Brawl self, since it's more compact and lends itself more to fighting and fits the style of Smash more, but who knows.

Top Bottom