• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
Mmmh, could be better. The gunship doesn't look bad, but that Ridley is too blocky for my tastes, especially the wings.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
There was another fan-made Lego Metroid set which was based on the Super Metroid opening, that one looked better, especially Ridley.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hmmm.

Is it me, or does Andross look smaller than he was in Brawl ?

If so, I'm kinda surprised no one reported this here already.

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
The villains have taken over the Nintendo eShop. The villains featured are Bowser, Ganondorf, Wario, Ridley and Dr. Willy. Basically each villain is just a category of games they're in.

Could that mean something is coming?

silver_blade001

Smash Apprentice
The villains have taken over the Nintendo eShop. The villains featured are Bowser, Ganondorf, Wario, Ridley and Dr. Willy. Basically each villain is just a category of games they're in.

I only played Super Metroid once and beat, it I thought it was really good; but would you all suggest buying it for the $7.99?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

At first I thought this was some kind of joke, but wow. You're not kidding. Doubt it means much for Ridley being in Smash, but it does nicely reinforce the notion on how well Nintendo still acknowledges him as a main villain. Still kind of a sad reminder though of how lacking Metroid content remains in the e-shops.

@ silver_blade: Guess it depends on how much you plan on replaying it, but I'd probably suggest it still.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

Wow, really? I would have thought that Mother Brain would be used instead of Ridley, TBH.

Maybe this is yet another sign that Ridley is an officially acknowledged Nintendo All-Star.

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
I wasn't joking, you could easily check it going to the eShop.

At least this confirms that Nintendo sees Ridley as one of the important villains.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Villians Rule !.jpg

Serious?

Post pic plz

Villians rule

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Here's a video :

It's nice to see Nintendo giving some attention to Ridley, between that and Nintendoland it makes you wonder if Nintendo want to introduce Ridley to their more casual public before making him playable in Smash 4 ^^
I really hope Ridley is playable in smash and he gets a huge push in popularity and appearences and becomes a full known villian like the others.

A thought i have really hope it happens smash can do alot to a character plus Ridley deserves it.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Who wants to hear my Ridley trailer? :)

So it starts out with Pit beating up the Space Pirates from Uprising (I'm sure you see where I'm going with this).
Then Pit's like: "I'm ready to fight the leader! Bring it on, I'm ready for anything!"
Palutena (given that she is confirmed by then): "Are you sure? He's no pushover!"
Pit: "Bring it on!"
They walk into the chamber and Pit is stunned.
"I've never seen a space pirate like this before!"
Pans out to the battlefield and you see Ridley flying around. Ridley's theme starts to play silently and gets louder.
"Ridley sizes up the competition!" (Lol)
Suddenly a charge shot hits him from behind and you see Samus fighting him.
Pit: "Should we help?"
Palutena: "What do you think?"
Cue gameplay footage of Ridley wrecking Pit, Samus, and Palutena.

Myuutsufan4832

Smash Journeyman
Who wants to hear my Ridley trailer? :)

So it starts out with Pit beating up the Space Pirates from Uprising (I'm sure you see where I'm going with this).
Then Pit's like: "I'm ready to fight the leader! Bring it on, I'm ready for anything!"
Palutena (given that she is confirmed by then): "Are you sure? He's no pushover!"
Pit: "Bring it on!"
They walk into the chamber and Pit is stunned.
"I've never seen a space pirate like this before!"
Pans out to the battlefield and you see Ridley flying around. Ridley's theme starts to play silently and gets louder.
"Ridley sizes up the competition!" (Lol)
Suddenly a charge shot hits him from behind and you see Samus fighting him.
Pit: "Should we help?"
Palutena: "What do you think?"
Cue gameplay footage of Ridley wrecking Pit, Samus, and Palutena.
I can see this happening. I have always thought that Kid Icarus and Metroid were the same universe, but took place in different times.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
SCAN0132.JPG

xD other of my many quick lazy sketches........

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I couldn't stop laughing because of the expression on both bowser and Ridley's face! and if this is really good for a lazy sketch, Ridley's face looks just like it does in Brawl.
:3 glad you liked my lazy sketch.....and i draw Ridley's Brawl/classic version a lot xD

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
What's that Ridley detractors? You say Ridley can't be resized?

Look! It's Optimus Prime at roughly the size of a bipedal wolf.

He's a ****ing semi-truck.

Last edited:

socandrewcer

Smash Lord
NNID
socandrewcer
3DS FC
1220-8504-8308
After reading the op, I'm now a believer that ridley can happen. I never thought I'd say that

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Stop talking about Shokio I don't even know who that is but he's surely not better than my really funny joke up there so if you're not using your fingertips for typing "lol" then stick them in your butt and be like "well this really isn't all that bad" OKAY?

silver_blade001

Smash Apprentice
Huh. So apparently, I haven't been recieving any alerts from this thread lately.

Huh.

So, what shenanigans were you guys up to?
Well you know making cookies/cakes, coming up with intro movies for Ridley, AndreaAC making awesome drawings, plotting to take over the world; you know the usual stuff, how about you.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I wonder if that E-Shop villains thing is something thats more than meets the eye? I wouldn't be surprised if it ultimately was created for some sort of cross promotion for Smash Bros.

When I really think about it, this is like the first time I can recall Nintendo putting Ridley side by side with Nintendo's other characters in the lime light like that. I mean it's certainly not a bad thing for him to be up there with those other guys.

Last edited:

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664

Ridley with a sword/katana.
You gotta admit, Ridley looks cooler.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

Zynux

Smash Lord
when Ridley does join what model do you think sakurai will be using? its hard to tell with sakurai since he can really be unpredictable.
I suspect that the model will be heavily based on the Other M Ridley, since Ridley has a bulkier exterior in that one, which admittingly works much better in a fighting game (same reason why I honestly don't push for Meta Ridley). Personally? I hope for more of a Zero Mission/Super/Other M hyrbid.

Either way though, he is definitely in much need of a new model. I still very much despise the Other M Ridley model and the Super Metroid model that is currently in Brawl does not work well at all. Despite all the size comparison shenanigans going on in this thread, he's going need to be reworked to fit seamlessly in Smash. In fact, I am 100% confident that detractors would really warm up to Ridley if he got a model that would work well within the game.

I think the Other M Ridley would be the logical choice because he looks more humanoid to me.
Just look at this artwork and tell me that he does not in fact look like a purple man with wings.

I know he is quite bulky in game, but if we get to see Ridley, I'm afraid it would be something like the Other M proportions because they are easier to implement for a 2D fighting game.

I also prefer the original design over the Other M design but I think this one would be easier for the developers. A mix between these two would be the best tough.
Oh man, I completely forgot about this. I don't think I could even write a scholarly thesis on why this concept art is lightyears ahead of the model we actually got in the game. I seriously would like to know what happened.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
3DS eShop: Metroid
Odd, for some reason they're missing Metroid 2. Granted, it's not as groundbreaking as Metroid or Super, but at least it would bulk up the 3DS roster a bit and get that game recognition.

That does kind of reminds me a bit of how Rosalina was treated (getting more attention before the debut), but it is just the promotion deal at the moment, so unless we get more on him it doesn't mean too much.

Last edited:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Is it just me or does the Dead or Alive version of Other Ridley look much better than the actual Other M Ridley. Since Team Ninja worked on both games, I get the feeling Sakamoto, which I assume carried more authority on Other M, told Team Ninja "Ridley has to be purple. REALLY purple. And what's with those skinny arms? That's not scary enough. Make his muscles HUGE!" So without Sakamoto around, Team Ninja was able to tone that down on their own game.

Zynux

Smash Lord
@ Oasis_S Oasis_S
Never played the game, but from watching Youtube videos the Dead or Alive Dimensions Ridley seems to have darker shades of purple, which would have greatly benefited the Other M model.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Odd, for some reason they're missing Metroid 2. Granted, it's not as groundbreaking as Metroid or Super, but at least it would bulk up the 3DS roster a bit and get that game recognition.
It's probably because because Ridley wasn't in Metroid II.

Top Bottom