• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Oh hai everybody, how're you today? Me? Not great, as for some reason this was dropped in my mailbox:

I know we're not exactly super understanding and kind most of the time with Ridley detractors, but my God, this is specifically calling me out, calling me ********, and the comment section is just showing no respect whatsoever.

...thumb it down into oblivion.

(FLAMESHIELD ACTIVATED)

I actually thought in the comments Shokio did a decent job defending his view. He saw in his eyes that Ridley was too big given the source material, and that sizing him down would not work due to the size difference and the anatomy. When not raging in a comedic way, I actually think he can argue his point, and legitimately believes that Ridley is too big.

(FLAMESHIELD DISINGAGED)

However, I do not agree with him in the slightest. As our good friend here who post the best Ridley arguments has shown, Ridley can easily work given how Smash Bros has already dabbled in sizes and how Ridley makes sense. Hell, I was able to show the video, and Shokio's video to a few people I knew, and they stated that Ridley should be in after seeing both.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
(FLAMESHIELD ACTIVATED)

I actually thought in the comments Shokio did a decent job defending his view. He saw in his eyes that Ridley was too big given the source material, and that sizing him down would not work due to the size difference and the anatomy. When not raging in a comedic way, I actually think he can argue his point, and legitimately believes that Ridley is too big.

(FLAMESHIELD DISINGAGED)

However, I do not agree with him in the slightest. As our good friend here who post the best Ridley arguments has shown, Ridley can easily work given how Smash Bros has already dabbled in sizes and how Ridley makes sense. Hell, I was able to show the video, and Shokio's video to a few people I knew, and they stated that Ridley should be in after seeing both.
Out of curiosity, which of the videos did you show them first; the pro-Ridley one or the anti-Ridley one? I would imagine that whichever one they saw first would be the one they'd lean towards.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
:love: What a beautiful gif of Meta Ridley i found
brawlboxanimation2_by_bagansmashbros-d7bg6wh (1).gif

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
SSB4! So hyped to finally be able to main Ridley!
Him and Little Mac should have been in Melee, it's about time Sakurai started adding the big characters.
Feeling somewhat confident on his chances this time around.

Can't believe you guys have been able to discuss enough things to make 468 pages...

(FLAMESHIELD ACTIVATED)

(FLAMESHIELD DISINGAGED)

Watch Hotfeet's Shokio-Groose video on Youtube.
It completely destroys his argument multiple times.
I didn't think he did all that bad until I saw Hotfeet expose him.
Shokio comes off as a smart guy in most of his videos, but this one's an exception.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
(FLAMESHIELD ACTIVATED)

(FLAMESHIELD DISINGAGED)

All of what you said about that one guy would be respectable if he were arguing about why he, personally, doesn't think Ridley would work as a good character. But his entire schtick, his Internet persona, if you will, is to be an ignorant arse and declare from on high that Ridley CANNOT work, ever, before baiting Ridley fans to give him attention and video views. He admitted to as much in the General Discussion Thread about a week ago, along with claiming that "he doesn't need to do research to claim that Ridley can't work, because he's 18 feet in all of his appearances or whatever LOL."

Anyways, I don't think that the Ridley fans in here ought to ignore TooBigotry when they see it, but they do need to work on their messaging to some degree. TooBigots get the traction they do among the masses because "Too Big" is a simplistic slogan, easy to remember and parrot. Rather than posting multiple paragraphs of (admittedly rational) explanation in response to ignorant one-liners, you all ought to try responding through enlightened one-liners of your own whenever possible.

andimidna

Smash Master
I hope that when Ridley is confirmed, all of the detractors cry and whine about it.
Shokio said he'd just shrug and say it made no sense. No. I don't want that.
I hope all of the toobigots are complaining and whining, it would make it that much more enjoyable.

I bet people will still be calling him too big long after he's confirmed.
And then 10 years later he'll be too big for SSB5.
Ridiculous.
Canon size doesn't matter, confirmed.
The argument is done. It died. Why are people trying to bring it back? CAN THEY THINK OF NOTHING ELSE?

silver_blade001

Smash Apprentice
Hey just letting you guys know when Ridley gets in I will make all of us some cake and cookies for every supporter.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hey guys! I would like to recommend not instigating against Ridley detractors. Debating is fine and dandy but try not to call people names or spout ill wishes and what not.

will they be shaped like ridley
Those would be some big cookies!

Zynux

Smash Lord
My problem with the too big argument is that not only am I convinced that its pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things (if Ridley does get passed up as a newcomer in SSB4, I'm pretty confident is size had nothing to do with it) but it clearly shows that the main detractors are from people who probably jumped on the Metroid bandwagon when Prime Hunters came out (or just played Brawl and nothing else rofl) and then started with cherry picking their arguments with very obvious and ugly biased that seems for some reason only apply to Ridley.

I bet people will still be calling him too big long after he's confirmed.
And then 10 years later he'll be too big for SSB5.
Ridiculous.
Canon size doesn't matter, confirmed.
The argument is done. It died. Why are people trying to bring it back? CAN THEY THINK OF NOTHING ELSE?
What makes it even weirder for me is that Ridley not only doesn't seem to have a canonical size (his size changes vastly with each game), but his appearance in the most popular Metroid games (Super Metroid and Metroid Prime) show him to be roughly twice the mass of Samus (specifically with metroid Prime's Meta Ridley, his body is actually pretty small. It's his wings that are really huge, which I like actually). Then there are games like Metroid Prime 3, where Ridley was freakishly huge for whatever reason, and in Zero Mission his sprite was maybe around 3 times the size of Samus.

Yet characters that have also been shown to have such widely vast canon size changes, like Bowser and K. Rool, for some reason doesn't apply to them. Let's not forget, that Bowser was added onto the roster long before the official canon sizes documents were released. And let's not forget that K. Rool, another possible newcomer, was depicted to be twice the size of Donkey Kong in DKC, depicted pretty small in DKC2, and then extremely large again in DK64.

This is oddly probably my main problem with the argument, besides the other obvious reasons: lack of consistency. If you going to continue to spout an argument, at least be fair and consistent with it across the board and to make sure it doesn't apply to a character that is already a confirmed character. This just shows to me that you have a very strong bias and thus makes it difficult to take seriously.

Hey guys! I would like to recommend not instigating against Ridley detractors. Debating is fine and dandy but try not to call people names or spout ill wishes and what not.
Oddly enough, this is why I generally try to not use the term toobigot.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Alright guys!

Let's look at this at a different angle.

People want Ridley to be big?

Let's make him big!

I propose we make him this game's Sentinel or Golden Lightan!

For those of you who don't know...

Sentinel and G. Lightan are very large characters and yet they were put in fighting games.

Here is Sentinel for example.

The idea is that yes, Ridley is much much larger than any other character, but he is so because that's his shtick! It's his gimmick.

Now, that may sound all fine and dandy but this idea has been talked about before, has it not?

Well yes! Yes, it has! But never in a lot of detail.

Individuals such as @GoldenYuiitusin have brought it up before.

Still, aside from just saying "yeah, that'd be cool," we've never done anything about it.

So let's stop that!

I'm calling out to all of you Ridley fans out there!

Let's make a whole moveset and playstyle like that!

Let's embrace "DA BIGZ" and show those detractors something that will make their heads spin!

Who's with me?

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Out of curiosity, which of the videos did you show them first; the pro-Ridley one or the anti-Ridley one? I would imagine that whichever one they saw first would be the one they'd lean towards.
I did a 50/50 between them, and they all leaned Pro.

And I was only talking about the comments of that one video. His anti ridley video was flat out bad.

lurxy

Smash Cadet
NNID
lurxylux
Switch FC
SW 7645 5399 8874
Hey guys, I'm new here and I am reading this thread since page 460 or something like that.

While I heard many times that people said, that Ridley would not be as intimidating when he was Samus' Size, his design in general is what makes him the most intimidating Nintendo villain to this point of time and not his size in Metroid games.

And for me the reason why Ridley should be playable is not his moveset, but his relevance for Nintendo and the Metroid series. It is not like the Metroid series is a smaller franchise like Advance Wars or Golden Sun, it is the fifth popular Nintendo series behind Mario, Zelda, Pokemon and Donkey Kong. I would go as far to say that if Ridley and King K. Rool do not get playable, no other character deserves the spot. It is quite a shame that we had to wait three entries in the series in the first place.

Well, I think there is nothing to be said what hasn't been said in 468 pages, but I would love to see Ridley as an unlockable character.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
It'll be a glorious day when at E3, when Rideys confirmed, that he can be seen to work. Actually, he is working, because y'know, they do have the game over in Japan testing and stuff. And to see people like Shokio's reaction will be priceless, because either they'll say nothing, say "this is gonna ruin smash bros" or "he looks ridiculous, I'm disappointed"

Closemindedness never ceases to amaze me. What if at E3 they reveal a new metroid trailer, with a new Ridley model, that is an agreeable size for Smash and an appropriate size for Ridley, and they do a one-two punch like with Rosalina? Did that ever cross their mind? Why is it so hard to think outside the box?

OR what if his reveal trailer actually plays to him being big, causing Mario to give him a Poison Mushroom? Or something of that nature to adknowledge the situation (play the comedy card like with the WFTs obvious awareness of itself)

Or what if he IS big, like Swamp said above? Why can't that be a thing? I think it would be grand. And the only reason people say it wouldn't work is because he'd be OP.... and thus the ignorance loops in of and itself.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Just throwing it out there, I came up with the term 'TooBigot' as a joke. It's a fitting joke label for people who argue using an old joke...which makes them a massive joke in and of themselves. It's also amusing to watch some of the reactions to the term...a lot of detractors have no problem whatsoever calling Ridley fans "fools...idiots...delusional" with 100% seriousness, but the moment anyone calls them on being a TooBigot, they lose their minds and play the victim.

Contrary to what certain TooBigots whose YouTube views give them inflated senses of self will have you believe, Ridley fans don't "hate" the detractors, they just rightly view them as laughable and enjoy pointing out the many holes in their claims. That being said, I don't think we should bring up specific users as the butts of jokes unless they strike first, in which case, by all means, go to town.

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Honestly, if Ridley was huge, like the size of his boss encounter, I'd be fine. But he'd have to be extremely slow and easy to hit, and an awful flier to boot. Bu I would prefer a more... conservative size,

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Anymore pics/videos of smaller Ridley in action! :)

Oh what if sakurai decides to add in this funny gimmick for Ridley.

Ridley always starts the battle off as Little Birdie. As he gains enough experience and time passes he becomes teen Ridley. Little birdie is very weak, frail and light.
-smallest character in the game
-spam able weak projectiles
-super fast
-lightest character in the game
-great runaway tactics to stall time and gain points to evolve faster
-good recovery

Teen Ridley is very good and fast but has a decent projectile. As time and enough experience is earned he evolves I to the high wanted Ridley.
-fast
-great melee moves
-decent projectile
-bad recovery
-great on land
-horrible in the air
-good KO potential
-Lucarios weight

Ridley is suppose to be the Dark Phoenix of Smash bros. He's overpowered, long range, fast and very huge. Not brawl huge but still huge. He's kinda broken for a reason because you had to work hard to get Ridley to this evolution.
-R.O.B's weight
-fast
-spam able great projectiles
-aerial fighter
-decent land fighter
-very powerful moves
-long range

Can be a fun evolution gimmick but I know this would piss the majority of fans.

I just thought about if sakurai did want to make Ridley broken without having to make him slow and Cluny but you would have to work your way up to achieve the power of Ridley! :)

Last edited:

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Just going to leave this here. :p

Ridley-Alt01_zps116c0468.png

Size: 10/10 (Ridley’s size is basically the largest character in the game in terms of overall size, closely followed by Bowser, Rosalina and K.Rool. However, Ridley’s weight is much less than that of Bowser and K.Rool, which acts against him in both single player and multiplayer matches. Ridley isn’t overly light, but he’s much lighter than you’d expect of a character his size.)
Strength: 7.5/10 (Ridley’s strength is definitely above average, but as with his thin frame, Ridley isn’t able to hit as hard as say Bowser and K.Rool. However, while he can’t hit as hard as said heavyweights, Ridley’s combo potential is MUCH higher than theirs, as his gameplay ability, the Dragon flight, makes him quite the combo-strong character. He’s no Meta Knight, but he can hold his own)

Speed: 6/10 (Ridley’s speed varies on how he fights, as he’s quite the sluggish character on the ground while he’s faster in the air. Ridley’s overall range on attacks also varies, as his range can go anywhere from very short to very long, most of the long attacks coming from his tail.)

Recovery: 10/10 (Ridley is a character with a total of four initial jumps and a special recovery that lets you fly around while launching fireballs, which gives him incredible abilities to not only recover, but protect himself from edge guards.)

Uniqueness: 8.5/10 (Ridley’s overall style of play is one not seen in Super Smash Bros, as he’s a character who can connect his attacks into aerial floating abilities and back into more attacks in the air. His overall style of play is inspired by Firebrand’s playstyle of Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, in which he can use a lot of airborne abilities to keep up combos, which Ridley can as well.)

Gameplay Ability: Dragon Flight (A float ability that is used by holding up on the analog stick during a jump. This float lasts longer than Peach’s, and is Ridley’s main way of combo attacking. All attacks that have connections to this gameplay ability are marked with a “$” on the end.)

Standard A Combo: Pirate Combo (x3, 14% total, attacks twice with two attacks from his claws and then one from his tail)

Forward + A: Dragon Crunch (Neck reaches forward and bites at the opponent, 14%)

Up + A: Cutter Wings (Strikes upward with his wings, doing a small hop into the air, which can trigger dragon flight, 12%) $

Down + A: Tail poke (Tail reaches around and strikes opponent with its pointed end, then retracts behind Ridley. (10%)

Dash Attack: Talon Pincer (While dashing, Ridley will pull back his body and raise up his feet with his talons out, hitting the opponent away. If you hold the button, you can sometimes even grab the opponent and toss them away at the end of the dash, 8%)

Aerial Attacks:

Neutral A: Double Talon Kick (While in the air, Ridley will do a kick with both his legs, 16% total, can connect into Dragon Dash) $

Forward + A: Swooping Beast (Ridley will swoop in a downward arc then back up into the air, now facing the other way, one of the main attacks used with the dragon float ability. 14%) $

Up + A: Wing Gust (Uses the force of his wings to blow wind upward, which creates a wind effect. This attack can connect into Dragon flight. 12% + Air effect) $

Down + A: Fire Breath (Tilts his head down and shoots a blast of fire downwards, can hit opponents for a meteor smash or create a carpet of fire on the ground upon contact, 13%)

Backward + A: Tail Slash (Ridley’s tail will do a slashing motion upward, knocking the opponent up even farther, 14%)

Smash Attacks:

Forward Smash: Supernova Breath (With his head tilted down, will launch a large fireball at the ground in front of him, creating a small explosion. 29%)

Up Smash: Dragon Coil (Ridley’s tail will coil around him then shoot straight up, launching the opponent upward. 24%)

Down Smash: Tail Spear (This unique smash attack allows Ridley to hit hard in front of him with minimal range but have long range behind him but lower damage and knockback as his tail swings around his body. 21-24%)

Grab/Throws:
Grab: Grabs the opponent with both hands, holding them in place

Pummel: Bites the opponent (4%)

Front Throw: Like DK’s unique moving throw, will be able to move forward with opponent then toss them away (10%)

Up Throw: Throws the opponent upward then hits them in midair with a fireball (10%)

Down Throw: Steps on his opponent with his talon and cackles (11%)

Backward Throw: Crunches the opponent in the grip of his tail then tosses them away (12%)

Standard Special: Phazon Breath (By holding the B button, will launch out a maximum of four phazon fireballs from his mouth in a stream-like pattern. This attack has three charge stages, the first launching one fireball, the second launching two, and the third launching four. All four fireballs aim towards the ground, causing a small carpet of fire to ignite on the ground once the fireballs hit it. 7% per fireball)

Side Special: Dragon Toss (Ridley will do a small dash grab in front of him, then fly up into the air with his opponent in his talons. At a certain height, Ridley will crunch the opponent in his talons and throw the opponent downward. Ridley is incapable of using Dragon Flight or other special attacks on the way back down to the ground. Cannot continue to jump after attack finishes. 19% total)

Up Special: Space Turbulence (Ridley be able to fly around freely like in his battle in Super Metroid, being able to launch small fireballs from his mouth through the air to protect his ascent. These small fireballs do minimal damage, but can stop edge guards from stopping Ridley’s return. Ridley will not go into a helpless state once the attack finishes, but he will be unable to use special moves on the return to the ground, or the abyss if he doesn’t make it back to the stage. 5% per fireball)

Down Special: Tail Grinder (Ridley will do a small hop into the air and let his tail grind along the ground, causing sparks to go flying. An opponent caught up in this attack will take multiple hits in a row before the final hit knocks them away. Ridley will drop back down to the ground once the attack is used. In the air, this attack will cause Ridley’s tail to spin around his body in one quick succession. 17% total on the ground, 15% in the air)

Final Smash: Omega Ridley (Ridley will tap into the phazon and transform into the ultimate beast of the Space Pirates, Omega Ridley. With Omega Ridley, you get three extra jumps and every attack is increased in power, as well as an increase in overall size. However, the overall speed of Ridley is the exact same. All Attacks x1.5 damage)

Colors:
#1: Purple (Standard Ridley)

#2: Red (Super Metroid Art Ridley)
#3: Black (Metroid Zero Mission Ridley)
#4: Blue (Original Artwork Ridley)

#5: Bright Purple/Green (Original Metroid Ridley)

#6: Meta Ridley (Metroid Prime)

Taunts:
#1: Ridley will raise his head up and roar

#2: Stretches his wings out, extending his claws

#3: Cackles as his tail smacks against the ground

Winners Circle:
#1: Ridley will fly in from the top of the screen and crash onto the floor

#2: Ridley will have the baby Metroid in his grip, taking off and flying off-screen

#3: Ridley will roar as two space pirates drop in with their guns out, posing and aiming around

Last edited:

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
Oh hai everybody, how're you today? Me? Not great, as for some reason this was dropped in my mailbox:

I know we're not exactly super understanding and kind most of the time with Ridley detractors, but my God, this is specifically calling me out, calling me ********, and the comment section is just showing no respect whatsoever.

this video is the worst thing I have ever seen ,it's clear that he didn't see your video because in it you said Ridley is crouch

and ... I'm Italian but I think I write English a lot better than those stupid people in the comments

xD i know....but i felt kind of lazy to add more..and i needed to do some homework so i did it really quick
yes ... yes .... but .... NOW DRAW MORE CUCCOS MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
sorry ... Cuccos make me crazy ....

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
Hidy-Ho guys. To celebrate my birthday (wich was yesterday, actually) I have made this JoJo-tastic piece of Metroid fanart for your viewing pleasure.

I hope you like it.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
whelp, bionic called me retarted.

I really don't like hypocrites.

anyways what's going on here?

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer

And THIS is why any anti-Ridley arguement fails to be even relateable.
Yelling and calling names because of one's arguement is quite idiotic and ridiculous. It makes said person less credible and results in a lack of ethos.
Furthermore, I see a very large lack of logos from this video. Seriously, this... just no...
If someone's gonna make a valid counterpoint, why can't they be methodical or sensible?! :facepalm:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
At this point, I honestly believe that no matter what the hardcore detractors won't listen. It's basically like trying to talk to a brick wall, they don't want to understand so they refuse to listen to any points anyone brings up for him, no matter how good they are or how they refute their arguments. The best we can do at this point is keep making the arguments we're making because our points still stand strong, and we can still convey our opinions to those who want to listen. If those detractors still refuse to even bother to try and understand, then they can remain in their own little bubble.
Are they so arragont that even Sakurai cant shut up em you think?

I mean if Ridley is revealed playable?

What you think? Serious

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hey guys....

If we're gonna do the Sentinel Ridley thing, then you should do more than just like my post....

So... If Ridley was going to be this games Sentinel...

1. How big should he be?
2. How would a super large character work?

Welshy91

Smash Ace
Alright guys!

Let's look at this at a different angle.

People want Ridley to be big?

Let's make him big!

I propose we make him this game's Sentinel or Golden Lightan!

For those of you who don't know...

Sentinel and G. Lightan are very large characters and yet they were put in fighting games.

Here is Sentinel for example.

The idea is that yes, Ridley is much much larger than any other character, but he is so because that's his shtick! It's his gimmick.

Now, that may sound all fine and dandy but this idea has been talked about before, has it not?

Well yes! Yes, it has! But never in a lot of detail.

Individuals such as @GoldenYuiitusin have brought it up before.

Still, aside from just saying "yeah, that'd be cool," we've never done anything about it.

So let's stop that!

I'm calling out to all of you Ridley fans out there!

Let's make a whole moveset and playstyle like that!

Let's embrace "DA BIGZ" and show those detractors something that will make their heads spin!

Who's with me?
I admire your passion but respectfully disagree. If Ridley were made to be bigger than everyone else then the toobigots win. It would be "proof" that Ridley couldn't work and was only made playable to pander to the "idiot masses of Ridley supporters".

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I admire your passion but respectfully disagree. If Ridley were made to be bigger than everyone else then the toobigots win. It would be "proof" that Ridley couldn't work and was only made playable to pander to the "idiot masses of Ridley supporters".
You mean like those who say "Sonic was only included to pander to the Sega fanboys?"

Those people are going to say stuff regardless of what happens.

And if Ridley is a playable character than will we really care in the end? We'll be too busy playing as him.

I see where you're coming from but entertain the thought for a bit.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

And how does the video disprove ridley

Its a really bad video

Top Bottom