• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
So I've just finished playing through Other M just to get a handle and understanding on anything from the games that might be in Smash 4, especially Ridley.

To avoid spoilers, I'm going to put my thoughts in a thingy. Forewarning, I get a bit ranty.

Alright. So this game. What an...interesting idea to try and explore Samus' past. And then deciding to do that made them come up with this?!

Alright. So I'm gonna start off with how the first 15 minutes was utter bull****, and that whoever did Samus' voiceacting needed to be fired. I'll bet they told her to sound "serious", and she took that for monotone and uninterested, and they were so lazy they decided to roll with it. I mean COME ON. The only time she gets emotional is for *shudder* Adam, and the godawful Ridley reaction (According to Canon, including Metroid, Prime 1 and 3 and Super Metroid that all come before this, although Sakamoto considered Prime a side series to the "Super Metroid" main plot that's continued in this game, so I feel it makes more sense to come AFTER this game, but anyway, according to canon she's already fought Ridley several times. You're a hardened bounty hunter, what the **** are you doing?) so yes, the voice acting for her, and really everyone that wasn't Anthony (and Ridley, LMAO) was godawful. Holy ****.

So there's that. Then there's the biggest problem with the game, and it's the focus on the BACKSTORY rather than the story, which in itself was flawed. So really, the fact that Sakamoto thought this was how you told Samus' backstory baffles me. Everything about the written plot, from the reason she goes in the first place, what with it basically being a "maternal reaction" (What the ****! Do they even KNOW why people love Samus? They need to pay more attention to their goddamn Western audience that even makes Metroid MATTER. What the HELL are you doing?

Then there's Adam's authorization thing. Which they tried to handwave as Samus being respectful to Adam's wishes, which confuses me to no end. Samus, why are you so weak-willed in this game? Why is Adam so stupid to restrict use of even non-lethal things like the Speed Boosters, Grapple Beam, Space Jump, and even if you handwave those, there's no reason to not have the Varia and Gravity suits on. Honestly. I think they were going for something aside from "I lost my powerups" but holy ****, never let anyone but Retro have the series ever again, or you'll just be stepping on Gunpei Yokoi's grave, you miserable monsters.

The space marines have zero characterization, even Adam, with a bit of an exception in Anthony. Adam is the most generic "General" character he could possibly be, and the whole "Thumbs down" thing was so contrived and without emotion I never gave any ****s about any relationship in that game.

The plot thread with the baby, AND the plot thread with the Deleter, abysmally lacking as they were, both got dropped for absolutely no reason and even the Wiki has only guesses as to who the Deleter actually was, the character they THINK it is showed up dead when I played the game with no indication or resolution that it was the case. Good ****ing job. Newsflash Sakomoto, "People not being ready for a female protagonist" (WHAT THE ****?) http://www.nintendolife.com/forums/...s_were_reluctant_to_accept_a_female_character is not the reason it failed. It failed because you gave a strong, silent female protagonist a terrible backstory hinging on other terrible characters in a horribly written scenario with a million plot threads that moved too damn quickly and made me not care about anything in the entire game that wasn't Anthony or Ridley. What's WRONG with you?

Seriously. By the end of the game, I really just wanted everyone but the above two, including Samus, to die and have that Samus turn out to be a soulless clone. Prime Samus wouldn't have given ANY ****s about this. There's just something wrong when I don't care if the main character dies or not.

But enough about that. The positives!

1. I found Anthony a refreshingly cool guy without the blandness or stupidity of the other characters. Despite not doing much, I cared a bit whether he lived or died, and the way he saved himself made him a badass in my eyes, and unlike Adam, his actions didn't make me think he was a chauvinist. Granted, the disrespect to strong female characters I felt from parts of this game didn't actually play out in my criticism, but was just sort of a side note. (The game is about ****ing Motherhood, and stars Samus. Get that **** out of here!) I wouldn't mind if Anthony was the 3rd Metroid character after Ridley, or the Metroid AT now. He's just a badass. (The guy is also ****ing HUGE, like he must be 9 feet tall, what the hell?)

2. Ridley, despite Little Birdy and whatever the hell the other form was, turned out to be just as much Ridley as he ever was in this snoozefest. It was the highlight of the game for me when we actually fought him, and the fight was at least interesting and felt like Ridley, as did the character. So that's good at least. I also find the tail spike a good addition to his anatomy, and won't feel bad at all if his duckface form shows up playable in Smash now.

3. The gameplay, although it lost points for not being able to use a classic controller or even a nunchuck in a 3D game (like, what? why?) felt like a Metroid game, and was pretty great overall. Also, I felt better learning that it's pretty much the only aspect of the game Team Ninja can be blamed for, and I commend them, because it's pretty good overall, and giving Samus sweet ass melee moves was a nice touch. They got a little happy with the walljumping, and moving around curves was a nightmare with the stupid dpad, but overall it was nice.

Honestly, I rate it the following, and am while I'm upset Other M (there's still gonna be some Prime, Corruption was on the Wii and it was a hit.) will be the majority of Smash 4 Metroid, I at least will understand it all. Anyway, ratings:

Gameplay: 8/10. Once again, lost points for clunky 3D movement, lack of stick controls, and first person transition was pretty stupid. Nice level design, fight mechanics overall. "Authorization" also removes a point. So stupid, pointless, and there was no need to change the "Find this upgrade" formula without making Samus look like she's too stupid to recognize a life or death situation until Adam is dead.

Story: 1/10. It's just horrible. Ridley actually being close to real Ridley saved it from 0. The story feels empty, has so many dead and unfinished plots, and follows a stupid theme they beat you over the head with, and seems to work towards ruining or treading very close to ruining Samus' character. The focus on the military was a poor choice when they could've focused on the Chozo background. Samus going back for ADAM'S ****ING HELMET in the Epilogue dropped it to a 1 for me, which otherwise got a 2 because I don't know anymore, but they focused WAY too hard on the Adam thing, and Adam was terrible and I'm glad he died.

Overall, while it had a couple cool elements, and the gameplay was solid, I hope Retro takes the reins for Metroid again, and we never hear of this ever again after Smash. I'm glad Sakamoto knows people hated it, but I'm sorry he doesn't really understand why.

Sorry, that got a bit ranty, but that's pretty much my feels. (I'm sure I'm not alone, but I really wanted to get in-depth about it.)

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
@ Banjodorf Banjodorf Samus' voice actor isn't really to blame for her poor performance. Sakamoto pretty much kept her in a leash so she'd sound exactly like he envisioned. That's how it was with the entire project though, and that can be all fine and dandy at times (Sakurai and Miyamoto does it well), but when you're as nuts as Sakamoto is it simply doesn't go over well.

Other than that, I agree with everything else. I'm all for a game that focuses on Samus' past, but if they want to do that then keep the story in the past instead of ping ponging back and forth, and most importantly focus on how Samus became who she is, show us her past with the Chozo.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
@ MasterOfKnees MasterOfKnees

Well alright then. God damn it Sakamoto...

Just...I don't even know what to say here. I guess it makes sense though, that guy's response to the mass hate was "Maybe it'll be better if the next game is about Adam."

Are you ****ing kidding me.

Typs

Smash Cadet
(English isn't my first language, sorry if i make a mistake )
Hello everyone, i'm new to this forum and i'd like to use my first post to show my support to my favorite purple space dragon,i came here daily to see if we had any news on ridley inclusion and i finally decided to participate in the discussion, i'm just hopping that the "Arts and Crafts and Fanfics" part isn't a requirement because i'm terrible at both.

@ Banjodorf Banjodorf
The article you linked is fake, just check the site where the article is. But i still agree with you on Other M: decent gameplay, really bad story.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
(English isn't my first language, sorry if i make a mistake )
Hello everyone, i'm new to this forum and i'd to use my first post to show my support to my favorite space purple dragon,i came here daily to see if we had any news on ridley inclusion and i finally decided to participate the discussion, i'm just hopping that the "Arts and Crafts and Fanfics" part isn't a requirement because i'm terrible at both.
Welcome, it's always nice to see a new Ridley supporting face around here.

No worries, the thread title spawned from people posting tons of artwork and story outlines in here, it's not really a thread specifically for that, it's still all about showing support for everyone's favorite purple space dragon, whether it's just discussing his potential moveset or whatever you feel like.

Typs

Smash Cadet
Welcome, it's always nice to see a new Ridley supporting face around here.

No worries, the thread title spawned from people posting tons of artwork and story outlines in here, it's not really a thread specifically for that, it's still all about showing support for everyone's favorite purple space dragon, whether it's just discussing his potential moveset or whatever you feel like.
Don't worry i was just joking :bee:, i know all about the talented people who post here.
Thanks for your welcome.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Does anyone know Angelglory here? I think someone should tell him his size comparison of Mario and Bowser in his Ridley images might be a little off.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
"Clearly, the most interesting thing about Metroid is the military aspect that literally every ****ing sci-fi world has. Let's focus on that instead of the rich lore this series is known for."

Why.

Last edited:

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
Hey, your signature has my miiverse drawing in the center :3
are you Rijark ?
I love your drawings on Miiverse and your Youtube account
btw we often help each other on Miiverse against Toobigots

I love this thread !!! here there are all my favourite Ridley's defenders : Rijark ,Felicia Fan444 ,Pizzadudemanguy ,Cp Ganondorf etc.....

Last edited:

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529

Here's the list of pictures in better visual detail shown in the video, and might I say...I don't appreciate the fact that you say my designs of Other M Ridley aren't that great Oasis. :c

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist

Here's the list of pictures in better visual detail shown in the video, and might I say...I don't appreciate the fact that you say my designs of Other M Ridley aren't that great Oasis. :c
:3 your comparisons, videos and drawings are great!

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
RUDE MUCH? MY RUDENESS IS APLENTY. BOUNTIFUL RUDES SUSTAINING MANY VILLAGES. MY OPINION? IT'S THE STRONGEST, REACHING FAR BEYOND THIS WORLD TO MANY OTHERS, EACH ONE WEAKER THAN THE LAST, UNITING THE GALAXY IN PATHEticity.

Mostly I felt bad saying I didn't remember your drawings so I decided the best thing to do would be to insult you far worse, to such absurd levels you would question if that pain could possibly be real.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
RUDE MUCH? MY RUDENESS IS APLENTY. BOUNTIFUL RUDES SUSTAINING MANY VILLAGES. MY OPINION? IT'S THE STRONGEST, REACHING FAR BEYOND THIS WORLD TO MANY OTHERS, EACH ONE WEAKER THAN THE LAST, UNITING THE GALAXY IN PATHEticity.

Mostly I felt bad saying I didn't remember your drawings so I decided the best thing to do would be to insult you far worse, to such absurd levels you would question if that pain could possibly be real.
A simple "I forgot" would've sufficed. I mean, not even I myself have remembered everything I've drawn to this day.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Regardless of all that, what's the popular vote on Ridley's reveal date? Do you guys think Ridley would be best suited for E3? Or do you think that August, being a huge Metroid month, is the best choice?

And what best suits his reveal trailer style? We've so far had a big build-up reveal with MegaMan, Villager getting his invitation in the mail, everyone playing Wii Fit to then get shot off-screen by the Wii Fit Trainer, A redirection trailer featuring Kirby and Mario Kart to reveal Rosalina, and a Jojo-esque training montage for Little Mac. Some are easier to think of than others, as K.Rool's could feature the pirates from Wind Waker, Shulk's could be a Smash Bros reenactment of the Xenoblade intro, Palutena's could feature some witty and hilarious dialogue in the same kind of vein shown in Uprising, Ridley's is different. I personally think a mock-up of the beginning of Super Metroid would be the best idea, but considering Other M Ridley's most likely, I don't see how that would make any sense.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

:3 i think it would be awesome at E3....but it really does not matter to me when he is revealed....the reveal itself will be the best day ever

edit: also, your new AVI is so cute :3

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
E3, a HUGE Western gaming event, viewed by millions, seems like the best choice to reveal the most popular newcomer in the West at this point.

Plus Ridley is ****in awesome, and would be a smash hit at E3. Puns.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Ridley is probably following the same footsteps as Dedede, Sonic and Olimar by being a highly requested but late-revealed newcomer, or maybe even an unlockable saved for post-release.

E3 is possible I suppose, but for that I'm expecting a character who'd possibly need a bit more explaining than a regular Direct can give, like Mii, or simply Pac-Man since he's a 3rd party with a big name.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
No offense Hotfeet, but I think, even in his OM form, Ridley literally being the same exact size as Samus is a bit absurd. Same problem I have with that one Ridley Brawl hack. He definitely needs to tower over her, like how he does in Angelglory's size comparison.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
ooh ooh are we doing fanfics now?

here's min: Ridley is playable in smash

I know it's unorthodox and a bit large but please don't hate on it guys

AndreaAC

The most awesome fanfic i have ever read.....better than Other M's story.... :3

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer

I'll go ahead and do a quick editing pass of your story:

[collapse=Revised excerpt]
Ridley is playable in Super Smash Bros. for the Wii U and 3DS.
[/collapse]

There, much better. Took a bit of work, but I think I managed to bring out the sheen in your prose.

You're welcome in advance. ;)

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I'll go ahead and do a quick editing pass of your story:

[collapse=Revised excerpt]
Ridley is playable in Super Smash Bros. for the Wii U and 3DS.
[/collapse]

There, much better. Took a bit of work, but I think I managed to bring out the sheen in your prose.

You're welcome in advance. ;)
Thanks I'm new to the whole writing thing I'm trying to get better but I need to work on length I guess. True narrative is a little more than simple description of events.

AndreaAC

Thanks I'm new to the whole writing thing I'm trying to get better but I need to work on length I guess. True narrative is a little more than simple description of events.
But you can write way better than what i could ever do :3

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
But you can write way better than what i could ever do :3
Literature isn't my strong suit, but if you ever want to sound learned, just read a lot. That's what I do. I'm addicted to it. The more you read, even fiction and novels, you inevitably pick up on new words, and eventually sound smarter.

I gotta say, you have quite the imagination.
Yes, if my instructors have reprimanded me for one thing more than anything else, this would be the cause

AndreaAC

Literature isn't my strong suit, but if you ever want to sound learned, just read a lot. That's what I do. I'm addicted to it. The more you read, even fiction and novels, you inevitably pick up on new words, and eventually sound smarter.
:3 yeah. i have read some stuff, even fics when im bored...but since english is not my first language, it is hard for me to do it, and i cant write in spanish because i got too used to read things in english, that when i try to write in spanish it sounds akward...

:) But one day i will be able to write that Ridley story i have in my head...and hopely make it a comic

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
:3 yeah. i have read some stuff, even fics when im bored...but since english is not my first language, it is hard for me to do it, and i cant write in spanish because i got too used to read things in english, that when i try to write in spanish it sounds akward...

:) But one day i will be able to write that Ridley story i have in my head...and hopely make it a comic
Yeah. I guess bi-lingual-ness is an issue I hadn't considered, weaving words can be difficult enough in just one tongue.

But, if it's a comic, you don't need nearly as much writing as a novel, I'm sure you could pull it off. And then post it here in the art/fanfic thread for us to read.

AndreaAC

Yeah. I guess bi-lingual-ness is an issue I hadn't considered, weaving words can be difficult enough in just one tongue.

But, if it's a comic, you don't need nearly as much writing as a novel, I'm sure you could pull it off. And then post it here in the art/fanfic thread for us to read.
:3 of course! I hope the story itself doesn't come out wierd...

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

I'm thinking you could get away with making him just a teeny bit bigger. Like he could get away with clipping through the platforms. I'm pretty sure Bowser clips through them, and that Ganondorf would too.

silver_blade001

Smash Apprentice
The only thing that I feel that is off on the Battlefield pics that Hotfeet444 put up is that bowers clips through the lower platforms.
upload_2014-3-22_22-49-48.png

This could be an issue considering that Ridley would be a bit larger than him so he might clip entirely through the platform here and in other places.
So even with the scales that are put down, which is a good reach size for him, the people in the pics need to be a bit larger.

Top Bottom