• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I've been thinking about that RidleyXRosalina fanfic. I've got nothing else to do later today, so screw it, I'm gonna hit the keyboard and see what I come up with.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Wow, I know there has been no news as of late for Ridley but this thread recently... lol I can't even really find words for it.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Does anyone think Ridley would be a secret character? Y'know, provided he actually is in the game?

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I keep saying it and i'll say it again- E3. Ridley has all "dat Westurn hype-u." Why would Sakurai reveal a primarily western hyped character when he could use E3 for that? Argue Little Mac against me all you want, but we knew he was going to be in there because of the boxing ring stage. Ridley is different. The fact that we don't know his fate yet bodes well for him to be playable.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
When was Ridley revealed to be a boss in Brawl though? We're all pointing to the fact that his fate hasn't been shown yet, but if Ridley wasn't revealed to be a boss until near/at launch during the Brawl era, then such an argument doesn't hold as much ground as we'd like.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
When was Ridley revealed to be a boss in Brawl though? We're all pointing to the fact that his fate hasn't been shown yet, but if Ridley wasn't revealed to be a boss until near/at launch during the Brawl era, then such an argument doesn't hold as much ground as we'd like.
Very true. I want to say it was revealed he was a boss post-launch on the Dojo, so it was leaked ahead of time he wasn't playable.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I keep saying it and i'll say it again- E3. Ridley has all "dat Westurn hype-u." Why would Sakurai reveal a primarily western hyped character when he could use E3 for that? Argue Little Mac against me all you want, but we knew he was going to be in there because of the boxing ring stage. Ridley is different. The fact that we don't know his fate yet bodes well for him to be playable.
We have the Pyrosphere. That, along with the cryptic comment referencing the events of Other M, seems to be leading in the direction of a playable Ridley. It makes even more sense if you compare it with the reveal of Palutena's Temple, where he makes a comment about Palutena that's just as cryptic as Ridley's.

I have my doubts that boss battles will return. It's already been confirmed that the SSE won't be in SSB4, and I find it hard to believe that the next adventure mode will be almost identical to it. If they do return, there are much better alternatives this time around, like the Queen Metroid or Phantoon.

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664

The Metroid series needs to step outside it's comfort zone and MAKE AN RPG SPIN-OFF.
We could have Samus and Ridley TEAM UP to fight an intergalactical threat.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:charizard: <- (Yes, I know that this is Charizard. Just imagine him Purple)
Ridley - Class: Dragon/Pirate
Ridley would be a heavy hitter and have a high HP/STR. His attacks could be draconic-themed (Fangs, Talons, Tail, Breath, etc...)

As a Pirate, Ridley would use skills such as stealing items (while attacking), rally himself and Samus, or even summon Space Pirates to provide various supports (Cover Fire, Medic, Throw poison/blind/sleep-inducing/paralysis gas bombs)

Ridley's Hi-Ougi (Final Smash) could be the following:
Meta Ridley Transformation: Ridley transforms into Meta Ridley; raining bombs, missiles and finish it with a POWEFUL body slam descent.

Ridley's Equipment
Weapons:
Main: Claws
Sub: SpearHead (for Ridley's Tail)

Armor: Breasplates
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:samus2:
Samus - Class: Human?/Bounty Hunter
Samus is more suited to the backline, providing cover-fire and heavy ranged attacks (Missiles, Beams, etc...) and have a high STR (not as high as Ridley) and AGI but low DEF.

Samus's Power Suit and Chozo DNA can have also perform auxiliary support like Scan (Prime) and SenseMove (Other M), respectively.
Samus would have find powerups (again) to learn new moves and stronger attacks. For example: Beam -> Charge Beam -> Ice Beam -> Plasma Beam.
Another example is turning into Morph ball and roll around, placing Bombs

As a Bounty Hunter, Samus would be able to scan the enemy, exploit enemy weakness and score critical hits easier.
Another skill is the Concentration from Other M. If Samus remains still for a while during a fight, her HP and TP will slowly recover.

Unlike Ridley, Samus has TWO Hi-Ougi (Final Smash), taken from Smash Brawl:
1) Zero Beam Discharge: Samus charges her blaster and shoots a POWERFUL beam, ignoring enemy's defenses. Samus reverts to Zero Suit
2) Re-Equip: Samus equips her Power Suit, damaging surrounding enemies (best used close to enemies)

As Zero Suit, Samus's stats are severly lowered except for AGI and LUCK, but the Zero Suit has other advantages.
Zero Suit Samus is more nimble; relying on acrobatics and her emergency weapon - the Paralyzer Gun.

Samus's Equipment
Weapons:
Main: BAUs (Blaster Auxiliary Units - Detachable cyber parts that enhance the Power Suit Blaster)
Sub: Paralyzer Gun (The Paralyzer Gun can turn to a whip, dishing out melee damage to close enemies)

Armor: Power Suit Sockets (Energy Sockets that mainly improve defense and may boost other stats)
Zero Suit (The Zero Suit is pretty defenseless so be careful when fighting hordes of enemies)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If Mario and Bowser joined forces in the Mario RPG series (Super Mario RPG, Super Paper Mario and Bowser's Inside Story), then I see no objectives not to have Samus and Ridley join forces in a Metroid RPG Spin-Off.

Yes, yes, I know that Ridley killed Samus's parents but as I stated, there is a MORE DANGEROUS THREAT and the unwilling duo would have to team up.

METROID RPG MUST HAPPEN, NINTENDO.:)

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
We have the Pyrosphere. That, along with the cryptic comment referencing the events of Other M, seems to be leading in the direction of a playable Ridley. It makes even more sense if you compare it with the reveal of Palutena's Temple, where he makes a comment about Palutena that's just as cryptic as Ridley's.
Exactly! We had the Galaxy stage before Rosalina and the boxing ring before Little Mac. And with the Mii rumor showing up everywhere and Pilotwings stage plus Find Mii 2 AND Tomodachi collection, this could certainly help Ridley's case.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I'm bored and there's nothing Ridleyvant (yeah I just combined Ridley and relevant deal with it). I am now an anti-Ridley person and I'm smarter than all of you because I don't think he can work because I'm too stupid and proud to think outside the box or change my line of thinking from my preconceived notion of what Ridley should be. Put down your pencils and come at me.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
He was revealed to be a boss from one of the few early Japanese copies floating around, so technically it was from a leak. He wasn't revealed on the Dojo until after the Japanese launch, where Sakurai in no way alluded to people wanting him to be playable, but just handled him as if he was on the same level as guys like Petey Piranha and Rayquaza. I'm expecting him to be treated the same if he's a stage hazard, being put on level with guys like Yellow Devil, Viridi and the Dark Emperor.

This is the exact image which deconfirmed him:

The difference between our current situation and the one pre-Brawl is that Ridley is speculated to be on a stage which we've seen a **** ton of times. We didn't get any SSE footage besides the Petey Piranha and Rayquaza cutscenes until Brawl released.

Last edited:

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
GOOD NEWS SPACE PIRATES !!!
the Ridley-Miiverse's collage is complete
There are also some my drawings :D

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
A certain individual has apparently returned to the forums via the Social - SSB4 Thread (I will not name names, but it should be self-evident as to who I am referring to), so I would advise the utmost caution if he (perhaps inevitably) betakes himself within this particular message board. A warning, if you will.

I like the one were he's eating CD-i Link in front of CD-i King.
As do I. It is just so arbitrarily random.

Does anyone think Ridley would be a secret character? Y'know, provided he actually is in the game?
That would be an improvident waste of resources, considering the hype-inducing excitement Ridley would generate if he were to be announced at the massive commercial advertisement that is E3 2014. If Ridley were to be a secretive character (who would more-than-likely be leaked in advance, anyhow), I would find it highly questionable, although particularly relieved he is even playable.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
A certain individual has apparently returned to the forums via the Social - SSB4 Thread (I will not name names, but it should be self-evident as to who I am referring to), so I would advise the utmost caution if he (perhaps inevitably) betakes himself within this particular message board. A warning, if you will..
Believe it or not, the leader status the greasy, unwashed masses have bestowed that fool with don't actually make his arguments any more competent. :laugh:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
He was revealed to be a boss from one of the few early Japanese copies floating around, so technically it was from a leak. He wasn't revealed on the Dojo until after the Japanese launch, where Sakurai in no way alluded to people wanting him to be playable, but just handled him as if he was on the same level as guys like Petey Piranha and Rayquaza. I'm expecting him to be treated the same if he's a stage hazard, being put on level with guys like Yellow Devil, Viridi and the Dark Emperor.

The difference between our current situation and the one pre-Brawl is that Ridley is speculated to be on a stage which we've seen a **** ton of times. We didn't get any SSE footage besides the Petey Piranha and Rayquaza cutscenes until Brawl released.
Seeing that image of Boss!Ridley makes me wonder: how big is that model compared to Angelglory's modifications of Ridley? We know that Little Mac was made larger as a playable character, compared to his rather small stature as an Assist Trophy, so I'm trying to imagine just how small Ridley would have to be made as a fighter.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

That would be an improvident waste of resources, considering the hype-inducing excitement Ridley would generate if he were to be announced at the massive commercial advertisement that is E3 2014. If Ridley were to be a secret character, I would find it highly questionable (although particularly relieved he is even playable).
I would agree to an extent. Some popular characters can afford to be kept secret, provided some of the other popular choices are still prevalent in the game as well. I would like to think Ridley would be shown off at E3, if he is playable. But I'm not banking on that being a 100% guarantee. If anything, Mewtwo's return seems like the most ideal thing for E3, funnily enough. Since, despite being an older character, he'd bring the most hype of them all. But who knows, they both could end up being shown at E3. That'd be cool.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

This one was actually leaked/posted first, but without context/confirmation of anything.

Ironically from that angle, he seemed like he was a decent/playable size. We literally held on hope until the end.

D

Deleted member

We know that Little Mac was made larger as a playable character, compared to his rather small stature as an Assist Trophy
Do we?

Seems about the same to me.
Which is why I feel Ridley's going to be around the same size as his boss fight. So yeah, I feel he'll be big. But I don't see it as an issue; I see it as his main selling point.

Staarih

Smash Master
Which is why I feel Ridley's going to be around the same size as his boss fight. So yeah, I feel he'll be big. But I don't see it as an issue; I see it as his main selling point.
Exactly. I personally wouldn't mind if Ridley was indeed BIG, it would definitely be his selling point being considered as the largest playable character ever - and he'd probably stay that way too in the future further maintaining being "big" as one if his "things", and also setting the limit as to how big a character can be.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
How's it going, Ridley fellow brethren? I believe Shokio just spoke to me earlier about calling him a sexist too bigot.

Having Ridley slightly bigger than SSB4 Bowser with his Other M proportions, shorter tail at default, and sideways wings at default would be the best option.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Having Ridley slightly bigger than SSB4 Bowser with his Other M proportions, shorter tail at default, and sideways wings at default would be the best option.
I like this idea. Ridley's tail should be shortened whenever he's not attacking with it (considering it can shrink and stretch at will), and, since his tail is, legendarily, often the only part of him that you can't hurt, it would have no hitbox while idle, and be disjointed while attacking.

I don't think his wings will be an issue, though. Hell, they could even be smaller on the ground (reference to his 2-D appearances), then expand when he takes to the air and create a damaging effect when he performs a secondary jump to emphasize his aerial prowess. Essentially, Ridley will be more compact, slower, and weaker (basically a big, bright purple target with a kick-me sign on it) on the ground, but gains his frightening range, power, and speed in the air.

Any character that has good anti-air tactics will be strong contender against Ridley. A lot of Ridley's attacks would either knock you into the air (if he's on the ground) or pull you up with him (if he's in the air), so staying on the ground and keeping Ridley down there with you would be vital to beating him. Basically, Snake's Up Smash would completely wreck Ridley's **** if the user was good (or essentially any surface-to-air projectile).

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
This one was actually leaked/posted first, but without context/confirmation of anything.

Ironically from that angle, he seemed like he was a decent/playable size. We literally held on hope until the end.
The first one I saw was the one I linked. Kind of glad that my hopes were crushed at an instant now.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Do we?

Samus definitely looks bigger than Little Mac in that Brawl pic. See how she's crouched down compared to Little Mac, whereas in the SSB4 pic she's standing upright? Then again, it might be because of the angle. He doesn't look that sized up, so I could be wrong.

I do believe Ridley would be somewhat sized down for his playable fighter status, but not extremely so. The only thing that might need a major overhaul are his wings.

Last edited:

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
So, there's something I've been thinking about for a few days that has been really curious to me.

The whole "too big" argument, as we all know, is pretty foolish. But what I've been thinking about is the fact that we've been arguing back with more canon size changes, when the biggest argument we have has nothing to do with Nintendo size charts, or anything of the sort.

Back when Sakurai was interviewed by Nintendo Power, if my memory serves correct, his response to the question of Ridley's consideration was a bit of joking shock that the character had so much of a fan base in the West. However, he ultimately said that, should his team put their best efforts into it, Ridley could very well be possible. In other words, the developer, himself, thinks Ridley is possible.

Sakurai then went on to talk about how Nintendo hadn't given him very many new characters to work with, post-Pikmin, specifically citing Animal Crossing as being too peaceful a series to represent via playability in a fighting game. We all know how that story goes.

The reason I became a Ridley supporter was because Sakurai went back on his word in that article. I've always loved Ridley, but was also skeptical about the possibility of him being playable. But when I found out that the Villager made it in, I knew that Ridley's chances weren't as bad as I thought. After all, an impossible character had been given a way to work. Why can't a character who was thought possible?

On top of that, Sakurai has said before that he bases his inclusions on very basic principles, such as whether or not a character's inclusion would make someone want to buy the game, or if they offer something that no other character can, and the like. His criteria has never stemmed from aesthetic characteristics, only how enjoyable a character's inclusion would be in the long run.

I just felt like bringing that up. It's something that always interested me, the way that fans of a video game literally made up their own argument against a character that the developer of said game has never even given reason to bicker over.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
So would playable Ridley be portrayed as a brute monster who makes roars and screeches or a brute who can speak English/Japanese/human language.? In the manga he talks but in the games he just makes a bunch of sounds. Hmm

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
So would playable Ridley be portrayed as a brute monster who makes roars and screeches or a brute who can speak English/Japanese/human language.? In the manga he talks but in the games he just makes a bunch of sounds. Hmm
Wishful thinking says a combination of the two.

Realism points to the former.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Do we?

Well to be fair, both models are based off of different games/sizes in mind. in the original Mac was only 4'8", while in the reboot we got scaled up to 5'7".

Then there's the whole vague size change Samus went through in Other M (supposedly she was 6'3" according to the Super Metroid manual, but Other M had her around mid-5'-ish. This is further muddled by the cutscenes of the latter game, where apparently every male in the GF towers over Samus, while later in their power suits they're a bit more even bar Manthony's huge ass).

I miss Oasis being our size reference guide.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
-_- I want to draw something....but again, i ran out of ideas...someone has one?? :/ or i could try Omega Ridley again and see how i fail....or...Roidley.....maybe both? i don't know.... :V

Last edited:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Well to be fair, both models are based off of different games/sizes in mind. in the original Mac was only 4'8", while in the reboot we got scaled up to 5'7".

Then there's the whole vague size change Samus went through in Other M (supposedly she was 6'3" according to the Super Metroid manual, but Other M had her around mid-5'-ish. This is further muddled by the cutscenes of the latter game, where apparently every male in the GF towers over Samus, while later in their power suits they're a bit more even bar Manthony's huge ***).

I miss Oasis being our size reference guide.
Strangely, the Other M Zamus model is scaled to be around 1.64m while the Power Suit model is 1.9m.

Zynux

Smash Lord
Aww man, I missed the Shokio hype (damn him from posting right after I went to bed rofl). I wanted him to drop by this thread (I'm actually not kidding, would have been interesting to see if he was willing for a legit discussion)

Anyways:

And I complain and moan about Pyrosphere comments. That must have been agonizing.

I just felt like bringing that up. It's something that always interested me, the way that fans of a video game literally made up their own argument against a character that the developer of said game has never even given reason to bicker over.
Yup, in fact I'm actually pretty confident that Sakurai himself is mostly unaware of the arguments that take place. Unlike some people, I don't Sakurai would give second thought on resizing Ridley if he truly wanted him playable :laugh:

The main obstacle is pretty simple: it's all of matter if Sakurai truly feels that Metroid needs a another rep. Could honestly go either way with him it seems.

Obviously monster noises, as speech would be down-right silly IMO. Mangas can usually get away with it since it's only text, but actual voiced over Ridley would be pretty laughable to be honest. Not to mention the fact that the illusion of him being an alien species would be somewhat muffled with English voicing. Besides, Ridley will without a doubt be based on his appearances in the games, not the debatable canon status of the manga (which, besides maybe Ridley's characterization and the Chozo, isn't all that good anyway IMO)

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Can I ask why whoever was in charge decided to make Samus substantially shorter in Other M? If anyone can give me a straight answer that doesn't involve sexism, I'll give you a cookie*.

*You're not getting a cookie, these are mine.

Besides, Ridley will without a doubt be based on his appearances in the games, not the debatable canon status of the manga (
which, besides maybe Ridley's characterization and the Chozo, isn't all that good anyway IMO)
I'm pretty sure the manga is, without a doubt, canon, and it doesn't help that Other M Samus was supposedly based on her appearance/personality in the manga. Though there's a difference between being emotional and timid when you've literally only fought in training, and being emotional and timid after you've blown up two planets and eradicated two or three entire alien races and killed the dude who killed your parents four or so times.

Last edited:

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
So after browsing the Bowser thread I just realized Little Mac's trailer showed us that even more of Bowser's move set has become "civilized." Claw swipe jab is now a double punch jab. Dash is a single kick and no longer a bite or horn strike. Forward smash is no longer a hammer head but a double drop kick, he can be seen charging it in the trailer as well before WFT grabs him(developer direct I think). And of course he no longer glides across the ground like a wingless Charizard or Metaknight.

I know it was only a page or two ago but once again I honestly think some of Bowser's old assets are being used for Ridley. Bowser is more upright and strikes like a wrestle mania wrestler, he's more man like than monster now. Ridley is going to be the new wild beast of the bunch. Count on it.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Also, all GF soldiers share between them two models. They're labelled with an L and an M, so I'm guess that means LARGE and MEDIUM. The LARGE GF soldiers, like Anthony, are 2.06m (6' 9") in their suit. Medium ones, like Adam, are 1.87m (6' 2") in their suit. Individual GF characters are only modeled as a face to be used with the base models (which makes lazy sense, since you only see them when the visors are lifted up).

Top Bottom