• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Zynux

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure the manga is, without a doubt, canon, and it doesn't help that Other M Samus was supposedly based on her appearance/personality in the manga.
Some scenario and events portrayed are canon in some sense, sure, but is it's entirety canon? Like those two dumb sidekicks she has (Forget their names)? Ridley speaking (admittingly, I always assumed Ridley spoke in some sort of Space Pirate language along with his screeches and roars. But the same language as Samus and Chozo? They could communicate freely if I recall correctly) Either way, I say debatable only because the main canon will always be the games. Everything else is pretty secondary to that IMO. I take the Metroid Manga with a huge grain of salt.

Though there's a difference between being emotional and timid when you've literally only fought in training, and being emotional and timid after you've blown up two planets and eradicated two or three entire alien races and killed the dude who killed your parents four or so times.
Something I'll give the manga credit for, it handled the PTSD much better then Other M did.

Speaking of which, I find it absolutely hilarious that most controversial scene in Other M depends on referencing a plot point that was featured in a only Japanese, unofficially translated manga that was never officially released in the west (to my knowledge, anyway). Not good for a franchise that's really only relevant to the west and was specifically stated to try and appeal more to the masses.

Welp,

Can I ask why whoever was in charge decided to make Samus substantially shorter in Other M? If anyone can give me a straight answer that doesn't involve sexism, I'll give you a cookie*.
More importantly, why was Anthony such a Goliath? Seriously, he was huge. Talk about too big for Smash.

So after browsing the Bowser thread I just realized Little Mac's trailer showed us that even more of Bowser's move set has become "civilized." Claw swipe jab is now a double punch jab. Dash is a single kick and no longer a bite or horn strike. Forward smash is no longer a hammer head but a double drop kick, he can be seen charging it in the trailer as well before WFT grabs him(developer direct I think). And of course he no longer glides across the ground like a wingless Charizard or Metaknight.

I know it was only a page or two ago but once again I honestly think some of Bowser's old assets are being used for Ridley. Bowser is more upright and strikes like a wrestle mania wrestler, he's more man like than monster now. Ridley is going to be the new wild beast of the bunch. Count on it.
I really hope it turns out to be true. I hope Ridley is a bit more hunched over then his Other M model counterpart that we've been comparing sizes too.

Last edited:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I had never factored in that Samus wears heels in Other M for some Sexist reason, so she's like, actually 1.56m (5' 1").

This is hard to Stomach.

D

Deleted member

Well to be fair, both models are based off of different games/sizes in mind. in the original Mac was only 4'8", while in the reboot we got scaled up to 5'7".

Then there's the whole vague size change Samus went through in Other M (supposedly she was 6'3" according to the Super Metroid manual, but Other M had her around mid-5'-ish. This is further muddled by the cutscenes of the latter game, where apparently every male in the GF towers over Samus, while later in their power suits they're a bit more even bar Manthony's huge ***).

I miss Oasis being our size reference guide.
That may be true, but I'm not sure the size change affected Smash's incarnation of Samus. Where did she stand to Peach? We can at least compare Brawl and Wii U in regards to the height difference between them using that one PotD with Peach, WFT, and Samus.

Samus definitely looks bigger than Little Mac in that Brawl pic. See how she's crouched down compared to Little Mac, whereas in the SSB4 pic she's standing upright? Then again, it might be because of the angle. He doesn't look that sized up, so I could be wrong.
I do believe Ridley would be somewhat sized down for his playable fighter status, but not extremely so. The only thing that might need a major overhaul are his wings.
She's not really crouched down. It appears that way probably because of Other M's design being more slender in comparison to Super Metroid/Zero Mission hybrid's design.
I guess another (non-Samus) pic that can help show emphasis on him being quite small (though not be useful for an overall comparison to Brawl) is this one:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Some scenario and events portrayed are canon in some sense, sure, but is it's entirety canon?
I agree with pretty much all of your points, but I'm fairly sure it's been stated to be canon. Not sure where or when I read that, though. It's been a long while, so I could just be an idiot wrong.

Last edited:

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
-_- I want to draw something....but again, i ran out of ideas...someone has one?? :/ or i could try Omega Ridley again and see how i fail....or...Roidley.....maybe both? i don't know.... :V
An angered ridley or roidley compared to omega.
Another good idea try to make your own design on him.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Kinda upset that Shokio didn't stop over here for a good ol' spin on the grinder, but his general demeanor made it seem like it'd be a fairly unrewarding endeavor in any case. He's the sort who plays everything off as a joke, then laughs about how much others get angry over his "jokes". So, essentially, we'd tear him apart and he'd just be all "Why you guys so serious lol?".

Though it irks me to no end when people act like Ridley getting in is the least likely thing on the face of the planet. It's as stupid as people who say K. Rool won't get in because relevancy. Such people will comment on rosters and the like, "reminding" their creators that Ridley is a pipe dream and that they're ignorant for even thinking that he has a chance.

-rubs the bridge of his nose, frustrated-

@ AndreaAC AndreaAC , you should draw Ridley carrying the Infant Metroid Pod, but with a Luma inside it instead. :laugh:

Last edited:

Zynux

Smash Lord
I agree with pretty much all of your points, but I'm fairly sure it's been stated to be canon. Not sure where or when I read that, though. It's been a long while, so I could just be an idiot wrong.
While Sakamoto had creative input into the story, 99% confident is hasn't been stated either way. I just see it that creative liberties were taken with Metroid in order to make the manga more appealing to the masses (Ridley given speech for example), but otherwise I see it as more of an adaption then anything, not on the level of the games.

Who knows? ¯\(°_o)/¯

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Can I ask why whoever was in charge decided to make Samus substantially shorter in Other M? If anyone can give me a straight answer that doesn't involve sexism, I'll give you a cookie*.

*You're not getting a cookie, these are mine.
So that Anthony Higgs could be more memorable, and so the sized down Ridley did not look wrong...
lol

D

Deleted member

@ AndreaAC AndreaAC
Do you take requests?

If so, you should totally do an image with Ridley yelling at Samus to "Wash your hands, *****! I want a cheese sandwich!" :laugh:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
One with two Mugens?
I see K Rool as Mugen, and Ridley as Jin. The former is unruly and temperamental, whereas the latter is stoic and reserved, yet very deadly. And of course, the two hardly ever get along, and both consistently resent Palutena for somehow dragging them along on this quest of hers. :laugh:

D

Deleted member

I see K Rool as Mugen, and Ridley as Jin. The former is unruly and temperamental, whereas the latter is stoic and reserved, yet very deadly. And of course, the two hardly ever get along, and both consistently resent Palutena for somehow dragging them along on this quest of hers. :laugh:
To find the Sakurai that Smells of Sunflowers? :troll:

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
Guess what guys!? More Ridley art!

Looks like the good ol' flying-purple-people-eater is ready for a carnival of carnage. Gotta admit he's looking sharp.

Three different types of Ridley:
1. A more streamlined and spikier version of Other-M Ridley.
2. Classic Ridley.
3. Bulky Ridley inspired by Omega-Ridley and X-Ridley

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
You guys are all wrong. Palutena is Mugen, K. Rool is Fu.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
@ AndreaAC AndreaAC
Do you take requests?

If so, you should totally do an image with Ridley yelling at Samus to "Wash your hands, *****! I want a cheese sandwich!" :laugh:
xD i need to picture that out....but after playing Brawl at school, i need to drink some coffee....im feeling kind of sleepy.... :3 Thank goodness its Friday, i will have more time to draw more Ridley stuff....

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Well she does the Super Ridley mostly and wouldn't you say she does it more CUTE than COOL I mean really I'm pretty Strong I dunno if you wanna get in a Semantic battle.

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
Thanks Oasis_S.

Andrea does nice art but I'm not really a big fan of the whole "cute Ridley" thing, and especially not the shipping that goes around.
I prefer Ridley being a lean'n mean killing machine.

AndreaAC

OH you broke my heart! :cry:...

OF COURSE NOT...

H2A571_0D5B84E6F5F92_000.gif

I draw him in the way i want...if i want to change that, i will

Last edited:

AndreaAC

@GoldenYuiitusin sorry that i couldn't get your request today....right now im not feeling in the mood anymore...i will be out of here for a while so i can clear my mind...

AndreaAC

SCAN0127.JPG

because i can make a crossover with whatever i want and ship the characters whatever i want....IT IS MY IMAGINATION AND I CAN DO WHATEVER I WANT TO DO WITH IT

Last edited:

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I wonder if Ridley would hypothetically be able to pick up crates, barrels, characters and other things and carry them around like the Baby Metroid.

And fly/shoot fireballs at the same time.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I wonder if Ridley would hypothetically be able to pick up crates, barrels, characters and other things and carry them around like the Baby Metroid.
I've heard a few people suggest that he get a unique "heavy carry" animation where he grips the item with his talons and flies overhead (with the item about an inch off the ground). I think it'd be a cool, interesting touch, although one that would ultimately pointless and probably cause a lot of trouble.

Also, knowing Sakurai, he would likely consider that an "advantage" (what with being able to carry the items quickly and "safely" and all) and nerf some other aspect of Ridley in exchange for it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom