• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Kinda..? 8 hours of quietness is almost like the fans are giving up or something.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
O D I N + samsrules93 + Diddy Kong + Johnknight1 + ChronoBound + PsychoIncarnate = 2007 status Ridley supporters.
So hating melee makes me stupid? Reread what you just said.idiotic at best.
Hating on Melee at a fansite created because of how amazing a game Melee (which Sakurai considers to be the best smash ever) is looks quite stupid on paper, and sounds stupider out loud! :laugh:
Let me also say that when Ridley doesn't make it, I'll come back and laugh at you all.
Good sportsmanship; laughing as the victor. But for real, I'll laugh at you like I laughed at the Diddy, Ike, and Dedede doubters, including the one I won a $50 bet with that Diddy would get in Brawl (which he still hasn't honored, and left SmashBoards over).
Everyone but diddy kong.his head is screwed on right.
WAHHHH!!!! MOMMMMMEEEEE!!!! PEOPLE HAVE OPINIONS CONFLICTING WITH MINE THAT SAYS MINE IS WRONG!!! :rotfl:
Yeah, it's understandable though, and you know it won't be like this forever, or at least I would think this place would be kept more of an eye on by the higher ups once the first Sm4sh trailer is revealed.
Yeah, plus there is a new owner of SmashBoards since MLG sold it to AZ's company means it will take a while for us to get some new leaders, on top of the current ones.
Do people even use the too big argument anymore? Or have they finally realized its pointless and weak.
The argument is so small and weak, we don't even see it anymore. Basically, it's like a tiny little city-state nation that's more of a town-state nation small, like Nauru.
How were the pre-brawl days?
Most people just say chaotic, but anything else
Lots of young 12 year olds, arguing with us smart 17 year olds! :awesome: But really, chaotic and a mess to keep track of. After the 1st trailer and the 2nd Dojo, it was a mess. You guys got a much better experience with the hype in Smash WiiU/3DS than we did, although the wait for these games will be about twice as long from the announcement.
I try to play brawl every week with friends
Project M re-energized the game for me
Project M is the only Brawl I've played since Brawl Minus. I have played maybe 6 unmodded Brawl matches in about 2 1/2 years. But boy oh boy, is Project M incredible!

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
Lots of young 12 year olds, arguing with us smart 17 year olds! :awesome: But really, chaotic and a mess to keep track of. After the 1st trailer and the 2nd Dojo, it was a mess. You guys got a much better experience with the hype in Smash WiiU/3DS than we did, although the wait for these games will be about twice as long from the announcement.
And one cranky, old, wise man. :glare:

I was... 20 something at the time? 21? Maybe 22.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859

wowzas, that's me now haha. you must be like, bald already.

So, Nintendo direct anyone? Sm4sh is now confirmed to appear at E3 guys!

What are Ridley's chances of appearing there, doya think?

I'm thinking super low, because I think he'll be a secret character. gonna go 1.83% chance.

also

HAI JOHNKNIGHT

too many johns here hard to find you

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Quite pleased with a decent amount of things revealed this morning, but what was the Ridley evolution thing I was seeing talk about shortly beforehand? Something linked to some rumor that was speculated as likely? Kinda out of the loop on that.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Seeing as how Sakurai said he plans on topping what he did in the Brawl debut trailer (which I consider the greatest trailer of all-time, bar none), I think that would be a PERFECT OPPORTUNITY to reveal Ridley! C'mon people, start a chant with me! RIDLEY! RIDLEY! ALL HAIL RIDLEY!!! (that should be his Smash Bros. fan chant!) :chuckle:

Wow, that's how old samusrules and I are now! :laugh:
HAI JOHNKNIGHT
Hey bro man.
too many johns here hard to find you
You do not find Johnknight1, Johnknight1 finds YOU!!!! :awesome:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Seeing as how Sakurai said he plans on topping what he did in the Brawl debut trailer (which I consider the greatest trailer of all-time, bar none), I think that would be a PERFECT OPPORTUNITY to reveal Ridley! C'mon people, start a chant with me! RIDLEY! RIDLEY! ALL HAIL RIDLEY!!! (that should be his Smash Bros. fan chant!) :chuckle:
He said the bolded portion??

:phone:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
He said the bolded portion??
Roughly translating what he posted on Twitter (via Google Translate):
Masahiro Sakurai said:
"WiiU, the 3DS" Nintendo Direct only just in Smash Bros. "for the latest work, published in the E3 video of the year" that was announced. Ordinary game is an announcement from the video and be equal, making this announcement because it has reached its destination, but to have kept you waiting. However, I will put a better one!
Basically, that is what he was leading to...

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Sakurai hinted at making the Smash 4 trailer even better than the Brawl one. Lets hope that is true.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Oasis is far more of a Ridley Supporter than me indeed. I just wanna see Ridley to see wether Sakurai actually gives a **** about what fans want lol

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
@Diddy

Well, we DID get Sonic in Brawl.

And as I recall, or at least understand, Sakurai puts up a poll on the Japanese site to test character popularity.

Given that at least one of my three most supported characters (Ridley, K. Rool and Takamaru) are high in Japanese popularity right now, I expect we'll be able to see based on that, if a poll does go up.

ALSO! It's important to remember that Twitter and the like wasn't so big (Did Twitter even exist?) back in 2007-2008. Sakurai has a bit more exposure to the fans nowadays, and to what they hope for.

In addition, we are sort of reaching the bottom of the barrel for Nintendo characters, after the obvious ones are chosen.

....GO RIDLEY!

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Quite pleased with a decent amount of things revealed this morning, but what was the Ridley evolution thing I was seeing talk about shortly beforehand? Something linked to some rumor that was speculated as likely? Kinda out of the loop on that.
So no one has an answer to my question?

don't be forgetting Oasis, of course
And me, and lanky who was kinda here earlier.

@Diddy

Well, we DID get Sonic in Brawl.

And as I recall, or at least understand, Sakurai puts up a poll on the Japanese site to test character popularity.

Given that at least one of my three most supported characters (Ridley, K. Rool and Takamaru) are high in Japanese popularity right now, I expect we'll be able to see based on that, if a poll does go up.

ALSO! It's important to remember that Twitter and the like wasn't so big (Did Twitter even exist?) back in 2007-2008. Sakurai has a bit more exposure to the fans nowadays, and to what they hope for.

In addition, we are sort of reaching the bottom of the barrel for Nintendo characters, after the obvious ones are chosen.

....GO RIDLEY!
Ridley high in Japanese popularity? I've always heard it was the other way around, and that it was mostly in the West (which comes with the territory since that's where Metroid itself is mostly popular in), unless that changed recently.

And I don't think he'll likely appear in the first trailer, for the same reasons as basket boy.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Maybe they also like Anthony Higgs in Japan? :) But yeah, pre-Brawl it was very apparent that Ridley was mostly suggested outside of Japan.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Wasn't he one of the 2nd highest voted characters on some Brawl Japanese poll? Not that it's relevant now, but eh.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, depending on who the other characters are, I think it could really help.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859

And me, and lanky who was kinda here earlier.

And I don't think he'll likely appear in the first trailer, for the same reasons as basket boy.
oh yeah, of course you.

lanky and gypsy and grim lizard were all before me, but I'm pretty sure they're all banned. same with legolastom haha

its been a while since I've been called that xD

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I was wondering about that Ridley rumor too. I saw some people discussing something...

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Ridley high in Japanese popularity? I've always heard it was the other way around, and that it was mostly in the West (which comes with the territory since that's where Metroid itself is mostly popular in), unless that changed recently.
Well I was actually referring to K. Rool, but I guess I should've clarified, my bad!

Either way, I remember after Brawl's release Sakurai responded directly to the playable Ridley idea with "Really? I mean I'd have to change the size, but..." something like that, anyway. So I'm sure Ridley's been on his mind this whole time as a playable choice.

D

Deleted member

Nintendo Power said:
Nintendo Power: There was a rumor at one point about Ridley being playable. Was that ever a consideration?

Sakurai: I think that would probably be pretty impossible. [Laughs] If we had put our best efforts into it, we may have been able to do it. But he might have been a little slow. Would that be all right? [Laughs]
This is what was said. NOTHING to do with size.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
'We might be able to do it, when we put all effort in it. But he would be kind of slow though.'.

NINJA'D. ****, Imma post it anyway!!

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
That was it. Hah, couldn't remember.

Still neat, though!

This is just a great example of how he's such a strange person...

I'm reminded of why he didn't put Balloon Fighter in Melee.

"I couldn't find a way to re-inflate the balloons!"

Up-B didn't work?

D

Deleted member

It wasn't that, either.
It was more or less the BF would be "useless" without his balloons.
And for all we know, he could have been just making up excuses for why the Ice Climbers were better choices without just fessing up the obvious: He simply wanted to introduce a 2-as-1 fighting style.
For all we know, he could have just not WANTED BF, Excitebiker, Bubbles, or Urban Champion to begin with.

This is especially more obvious due to the addition of Olimar in Brawl, who is relatively useless without his Pikmin.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ O D I N
1. Snake will, in all likelihood, return. After all, Sakurai and Kojima are friends, and Smash isn't limited by the rules of other fighting games (because Smash is far more unique).
2. Snake vs. Ridley would be an amazingly epic battle.
don't be forgetting Oasis, of course
[COLLAPSE="My response..."]
[/COLLAPSE]
And also, that trailer is probably going to be life changing.
If this trailer is what Sakurai is hyping it to be, it will change the world, and it will do nothing short of bring people together, cure people of illness, healing illnesses and diseases, families will be reunited, and wars will end. After that, all sisters, aunts, uncles, parents, grandparents, ancestors, children, cousins, friends, neighbors, bosses, co-workers, employees, etc. will all become SMASH BROTHAHS!!!
Wasn't he one of the 2nd highest voted characters on some Brawl Japanese poll? Not that it's relevant now, but eh.
We don't know. All Sakurai said is Sonic got way more votes than anyone else. All we know is how often he mentioned characters in regard to being playable in Brawl. Despite that, you can find the results for the Melee (Japan-only) poll, though. Charizard got a lot of votes in that, and James Bond got a few votes, lol.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The James Bond votes got us the Cloaking Device and Proxy Mines I guess.

Maybe they'll make Little Birdie an item, similar to Mr.Saturn?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The James Bond votes got us the Cloaking Device and Proxy Mines I guess.
One or both of them came from Perfect Dark. At least one of those said that it came from there on the Japanese Melee trophy description; in other versions, it says "TOP SECRET".
Sakurai hinted at making the Smash 4 trailer even better than the Brawl one. Lets hope that is true.
Let us hope to our Holy God the Father Sakurai that he delivers us from our ignorance and walks us into the Promise Land of Milk, Honey, and GIANT PURPLE DRAAAAAGONS!!! :awesome:
I don't understand that evolution talk at all, either.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'd like to think that if the trailer is better, there will be more characters revealed. Of course just thinking about that is getting me excited!

Top Bottom