• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
He has kinda high dash speed though from what I've read. That was the only thing I disagreed with so far though, so it's no big deal whatsoever. Agree that he should be sluggish on the ground. And extremly true to his character is: he's taking hits, he doesn't like it but he keeps attacking. That could be reflected in his relatively light weight, but good super armor moves with slow set up yet fast execution, and great recovery. You'd really wanna projectile spam against him though! Should be his main weakness. Though now I see you got that covered with his Reflector special. Suits him well. It's a great moveset dude.

HE'S FINALLY GONE DOWN! Whoa, my first match against Ridley in Super Metroid and he 4 stocked me. :embarrass:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
HMMM, I see. I think I said he'd be that fast just because Donkey Kong and Charizard are also large and fast. I believe a large character would naturally move faster because their larger frame. If they move slower, it either wouldn't match up with their stride or just FEEL weird.

Something like that.

But yeah, I agree with your post.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I see him personally as a little slower as Mewtwo's dash in Melee. Which still wouldn't look all too slow. Donkey Kong and Charizard have some more reason to be fast though. Especially DK.

And I feel Charizard should also be a bit more aerial based, much like Ridley. Meaining, it'd be possible to breath fire while flying and such. Would make Charizard and Ridley even more awesome. Kinda like the comparision between Shadow Ball and Charge Shot perhaps?

Speaking of, I REALLY want to see Mewtwo vs Ridley in HD. Can't think of a more epic matchup as of yet.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I just remembered, Super Metroid Ridley was occasionally able to swat away missiles/super missiles with his tail. Maybe that's something a playable Ridley could do with his tail against projectiles as an aerial attack? Could work as an alternate way in which he can have a reflector type move, if you will, but of course requires good timing like reflecting with Mewtwo's Confusion.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
That works too I guess.

Super Metroid Rids is also one of the only versions that's actually able to damage Samus while she's in screw attack mode with his tail which cancels it out, though that would be cheap to have in Smash with it being her recovery move and all. :awesome:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
People might disagree with me on this but, I felt Super Metroid wasn't even THAT great. Maybe it's cause I emulated it, but I think it's about the same quality as Metroid Fusion. Which is a game I enjoyed immensely, mind you. It was my first Metroid game, but I don't view it as the best Metroid yet.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
People who play a legacy game like Super Metroid only just now often don't have as high an opinion on it as those who played it back in the day, regardless of how good it actually is. Doubt emulating it had much to do with it. To Super Metroid's credit though, it was the first game to have some of the more iconic powerups like the Grapple Beam, Plasma Beam, Spazer/Wide Beam, Gravity Suit, and Speed Booster. Also the first to have actual Space Pirates and a dragon-esque Ridley, and still the only game to this day to have Mother Brain in her true form (excluding the cutscene cameo at the beginning of Other M), and the ability to turn power-ups on or off, as well as other things like secret charge combos and the crystal flash.

Despite all that though, Fusion's still up there with Super for me too, and is probably even more my favorite to speedrun out of the two, but Super will likely always have the most unique things about it.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
People who play a legacy game like Super Metroid only just now often don't have as high an opinion on it as those who played it back in the day, regardless of how good it actually is. Doubt emulating it had much to do with it. To Super Metroid's credit though, it was the first game to have some of the more iconic powerups like the Grapple Beam, Plasma Beam, Spazer/Wide Beam, Gravity Suit, and Speed Booster. Also the first to have actual Space Pirates and a dragon-esque Ridley, and still the only game to this day to have Mother Brain in her true form (excluding the cutscene cameo at the beginning of Other M), and the ability to turn power-ups on or off, as well as other things like secret charge combos and the crystal flash.

Despite all that though, Fusion's still up there with Super for me too, and is probably even more my favorite to speedrun out of the two, but Super will likely always have the most unique things about it.
While I didn't grow up with Super Metroid, it was the first Metroid game I've played. I won't say it's the best, though, because I've only played 3 others(the original, Prime, and Other M). I will say it's easily the best of those 4.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Felt it was a little short though. Don't know why, but Fusion felt longer. But damn, some stuff is really really hard to find in Super Metroid. Even with the X Ray vision (which needs a return) a lot still remains hidden from the eye. Grapple Beam usage was really awesome though.

Now attempting an Other M playthrough. Really, people give this game way too much **** I feel.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Felt it was a little short though. Don't know why, but Fusion felt longer. But damn, some stuff is really really hard to find in Super Metroid. Even with the X Ray vision (which needs a return) a lot still remains hidden from the eye. Grapple Beam usage was really awesome though.
Agreed, hunting for missiles and stuff is my least favorite part of the series. It's one of the reasons why IMO Symphony of the Night is my favorite Metroidvania, since there's less of searching for random stuff like that.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No it's probably one of the best parts I think, as it adds so much challenge and knowing of the game. Especially in Super Metroid's case. Just had 20 Super Missiles, and damn would it have helped if I had 20 more. Only collected about 50% in my first playthrough. SAMUS DIDN'T EVEN TOOK HER HELMET OFF FOR ME! :c

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
While I didn't grow up with Super Metroid, it was the first Metroid game I've played. I won't say it's the best, though, because I've only played 3 others(the original, Prime, and Other M). I will say it's easily the best of those 4.
I was mainly referring to those who played other Metroids first and THEN only now played Super who are usually like "Eh, it's not all that great", which was why I was kinda expecting Diddy to have that sort of opinion on it even before he made that post. :p

But yeah, those who played Super first before other Metroids regardless of when are usually the one exception.

Now attempting an Other M playthrough. Really, people give this game way too much **** I feel.
Fusion definitely felt shorter for me, which may have contributed to me speedrunning or replaying it more. Agreed though that Super probably had the most ridiculous to find extra items, and on that last bit too.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, people called Super Metroid even 'the best SNES game' a lot of times, and since I myself have Donkey Kong Country 2 as absolute best game ever, I had to give Super Metroid a try. There's a lot of things Super Metroid did extremely well, especially for it's time, but for me it definitely doesn't top DKC2.

Endings are based on time? How much faster do I need to complete it then? I though 5 and a half hours was rather quick already, so blamed my lack of items. Am I supposed to Speed Boost through this game or something? :laugh: Speaking of, I can't Spinespark for ****.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Comparing Super Metroid to the DKCs isn't really a good comparison. It's like apples and oranges, though I can see why plenty would see it as the best SNES game. Many also call Zelda OoT the best thing on the N64 and I definitely don't agree to that, even if I can see why they think it is.

Super was one of the only Metroids that was based on time instead of completion from what I remember. Kinda wish it had stayed that way if anything, but I've always been a completionist at heart so eh...

Super's best ending is if you beat it under 3 hours, which isn't as hard as you'd think once you're better at knowing where to go. As for Shinesparking, just takes a little practice in Super like with any game that has it. Run a bit, then duck, and jump in whatever direction you want to Shinespark in.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Super was one of the only Metroids that was based on time instead of completion from what I remember. Kinda wish it had stayed that way if anything, but I've always been a completionist at heart so eh...

Super's best ending is if you beat it under 3 hours, which isn't as hard as you'd think once you're better at knowing where to go. As for Shinesparking, just takes a little practice in Super like with any game that has it. Run a bit, then duck, and jump in whatever direction you want to Shinespark in.
I don't like rushing through games. I prefer playing at my own pace, and playing to completion, than rushing to finish as quickly as possible.

Are the rewards in other Metroids really based more on completion? I figured that with the ever-increasing linearity of the series, I thought that speed running would have been emphasized more, but I guess I was wrong.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Well, it depends on which games it is really, but more of the recent ones (namely the Prime games, which were not linear with the exception of Corruption) were more based on completion.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Maybe that's also part of the charm of the game? It really encourages speed running.

vicgur

Smash Ace
Well, people called Super Metroid even 'the best SNES game' a lot of times, and since I myself have Donkey Kong Country 2 as absolute best game ever, I had to give Super Metroid a try. There's a lot of things Super Metroid did extremely well, especially for it's time, but for me it definitely doesn't top DKC2.
Metroid is my favorite franchise. Not only by Nintendo. It's my favorite franchise overall.
But I agree with you. Nothing is better than DKC2. :embarrass:

Also, last year I finally beat Super Metroid in under 3 hours. Now I can finally say I saw Samus in her undies. :cool:
Sweet 16-bit hawtness.
Disclaimer: I don't feel any sexual attraction to characters that are anything less real than live-action.
But I can and WILL imagine Charlize Theron in a Zero Suit.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
Cant help but feel this is a little off topic, so to prevent someone from coming in and correcting us, lets switch to which game you liked him the most in, as this fills the requirement of talking about him directly while still letting you talk about the other games.
I thought he was most difficult, out of all his 2D appearances, in fusion, as Neo Ridley

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Oranges are far more rich in vitamin C however, and clearly make better juice.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Oranges are far more rich in vitamin C however, and clearly make better juice.
I disagree with you there.

I hate orange juice. I love apple juice though

Orange juice has pulp in it, and has a more bitter flavor. Yuck

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's the bitter part that makes you a man! ORANGE JUICE! The pulp is good for when you have throat ache or slime in your throat. Also, you can eat all parts of the orange outside of the skin, and everything tastes awesome. Unlike apples, where the core tastes much worse than the overall apple. Plus, the seeds of the apple are actually POISONOUS! Bet you didn't know! :reverse:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
As one of the few original Ridley supporters for Brawl (when that whole fiasco happened), I have but one thing to say:

RIDLEY FOR BRAWL SSB4!!

Not that I've said my piece, carry on.
Thank you for your blessings, ODIN.

I bet Ridley hates both apples and oranges.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
As one of the few original Ridley supporters for Brawl (when that whole fiasco happened), I have but one thing to say:

RIDLEY FOR BRAWL SSB4!!

I keep writing Geno for Brawl, etc. on things myself

It's the bitter part that makes you a man! ORANGE JUICE! The pulp is good for when you have throat ache or slime in your throat. Also, you can eat all parts of the orange outside of the skin, and everything tastes awesome. Unlike apples, where the core tastes much worse than the overall apple. Plus, the seeds of the apple are actually POISONOUS! Bet you didn't know! :reverse:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/176867-medicinal-uses-of-apple-seed/

Eating apple seeds fights off cancer

vicgur

Smash Ace
Cant help but feel this is a little off topic, so to prevent someone from coming in and correcting us, lets switch to which game you liked him the most in, as this fills the requirement of talking about him directly while still letting you talk about the other games.
I thought he was most difficult, out of all his 2D appearances, in fusion, as Neo Ridley
That is easy. My favorite fight against Ridley[actually, my favorite boss fight in Metroid overall] is the Meta Ridley fight in Metroid Prime. :cool:
But my favorite design for him is the one of Smash Bros. Brawl.
I do like the color purple a lot.

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
How were the pre-brawl days?
Most people just say chaotic, but anything else
It was...

...A different time...

A forum torn asunder... By jests and insults...

Also, I did a lot more Photoshop/sig making stuff back then, so that was cool.

Also, there was that AlphaNoob guy who kept ****ting in everyone's oatmeal.

But I'd say we were all younger and stupider then.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
No, I meant the explosive oranges from DK 64. :troll:

.. Did not intend that one simple analogy to be taken that far.

Charged shots did an obscene amount of damage to Neo Ridley compared to his other appearances. Other M Ridley on hard mode was no doubt the most difficult, as well as the hardest boss in the whole game on that difficulty.

As for games liked him the most in, Super Metroid for 2D and Meta-Ridley in the first Prime for 3D, and Other M Ridley for 2.5D. :troll: Favorite designs go to the first two mentioned as well of course.

RIDLEY FOR BRAWL SSB4!!

Oh hey, it's you!

JhMS

Smash Journeyman
Lol Pre Day Brawl Days were just crazy (especially the week before the Hong Kong release).
I dont know, we Ridley supporters thought he was definitely in. Then came the theories, the leaks, Serebii and the infamous forbidden 35 charachter leak.
I just couldnt believe that leaks were the real deal (Ridley and King. K. Rool were my most requested newcomers). I still had hopes for both of them.
Then the firts photo came of Ridley as a boss, the confirmation of Wolf as the final character, etc etc. The 35 leak was real...it really shocked this forum (lol some people even said that they werent going to buy brawl haha)
Anyway, I do think Ridley now has a lot of chances of being in this time. Then again, i thought that about Brawl....Im just not being overly optimistic like last time.
To sum this up: Ridley for Smash 4!....Please Sakurai, make it happen.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Suddenly I'm reminded of Aryman and how I could never kick his bumtush. I think ODIN did a lot though.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
This'll be crazy.

Just fought Ridley's second evolution in Other M btw. Yeah, I know I said I would want some inspiration coming from this game's Ridley boss fight (mainly ground attacks and a slightly buffer appearance) but damn, hope they don't go as far as use that design... That'd be terrible.

Top Bottom