• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Yeah, the guy I've been chatting with in the comments section wrote back a few minutes ago. Apparently, bringing a Meta Knight to a "Ridley doesn't have any emotion" fight is a bad move because Meta Knight can look around and, therefore, gets the okay to be in Smash Bros. Ridley, on the other hand, has a stone face and can't so much as look at stuff, and that is too detrimental to his chances.

I disagreed with him.
Besides, having an actually expressive Ridley might make the game unplayable.

On account of the trauma such sights would induce in the player.

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
Quite heartily, I hope.

You should just bring up Mr. Game & Watch. :p
I brought G&W and ROB up, while also revisiting Meta Knight. I mentioned how Ridley is shown to have very feint pupils in SSE and that just having remotely human eyes is more of an expressive trait than anything those three can come up with. I also told him that expression - or lack of - shouldn't be an issue as long as a character deserves their slot.

Besides, having an actually expressive Ridley might make the game unplayable.

On account of the trauma such sights would induce in the player.
This comment made me wonder what Ridley would look like if he smiled. I'm coming up with some pretty hilarious imagery.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
xD I don't think having an expressive Ridley would be that traumatic, the clone in other M already caused enough....

AndreaAC

and to be sincere....when i first saw the clone....it became some kind of NIGHTMARE FUEL in my head.....with the evolutionary line it became worst....

seriously....it did....

Last edited:

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
Ladies and gentlemen, I have returned.

It seems there's been a lot of "cute" Ridley art going around, well we can't simply have any of that now can we?!

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Probably the intense sounds he makes, long hair, killer abs, archery skills, tights, and determination.

AndreaAC

Well....i think i will stop with the "cute" Ridley things, i will return him to normal i hope, and make a way more agressive drawing so you don't find it sickeningly sweet....

:/ sorry that another Ridley/Rosalina drawing will take a long while to make...

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
The next Metroid game should have Zamus piecing together one of two suits. Her Chozo suit or a Ridley suit which is made of exoskeleton and technology from his species.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Delving into the history of Ridley and his species would be an interesting way to flesh out both the Metroid universe and Ridley as a character.

Ganondorf could use this treatment as well.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Delving into the history of Ridley and his species would be an interesting way to flesh out both the Metroid universe and Ridley as a character.

No kidding. Would finally make it clear that Ridley's not just an animal.

(And Ganondorf needs to be more fleshed out. Wind Waker tried, but it didn't do enough ;_;)

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord

Well the Space Pirates are known to like using Metroids as pets.

Last edited:

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
The pun that they use in the Ridley trailer, if he is added, has to be: "Ridley Fits In!" Please Nintendo!!

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I was thinking that his legit Intro would be "Ridley Soars into the battle!" or something like that. Maybe something like "Ridley Scorches the competition!"

For more serious and appropriate fare, I think "Ridley Darkens The Skies!" would be a pretty sweet introductory line. :smirk:
That one is pretty cool too.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
Guys, I just thought of the perfect intro line for Ridley's trailer:

"RUN, MOTHER****ERS!!!"
CHANGE YOUR AVATAR.
I'M A SENSITIVE BOY.

As for a Ridley into caption... "RIDLEY IS TOO ****ING NOT TOO BIG SO HE CAN BE IN"

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Wait I've got another one. "Ridley CAN crawl!" Metroid better watch out you guys. Now if only we can figure out how to play as that Penguin in Megaman X. No matter how many times we click on him we just to go some snow area. I bet he could crawl. Unlike Metroid, I wonder what's his problem.

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
"Pic of the Day! Ridley is your God now! Give him your virgins!"

*cue Pyrosphere pic of Ridley standing menacingly before Peach*

Coming up with Ridley reveal captions is my new favourite pastime. XD

Yes. No. Maybe. Define "portal".
You should already know that.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
"Pic of the Day! Ridley is your God now! Give him your virgins!"

*cue Pyrosphere pic of Ridley standing menacingly before Peach*

Coming up with Ridley reveal captions is my new favourite pastime. XD

You should already know that.
If these are Donnie Darko references, they're going over my head.
I don't do movies with scary bunny things Jake Gyllenhal.

I can't really think of a great into caption, but whatever it is, it won't do Ridley justice.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
The next Metroid game should have Zamus piecing together one of two suits. Her Chozo suit or a Ridley suit which is made of exoskeleton and technology from his species.
Holy crap, every game starts off with Samus's equipment getting wrecked... why have we never seen her absolutely start from scratch and have to scavenge armor made from the remains of her enemies?! That'd be completely badass. I want someone to art that up right now.

silver_blade001

Smash Apprentice
Since Dusty hasn't been doing it all week I guess I will have to do it for now.

Has Ridley made his explosive entrance yet?
No, I'll check back tomorrow.

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
Ok ,after all those Ridley's drawings and gifs I decided to make something for our space lord :cool:
When I'll return on Miiverse I'll take many Ridley's drawings and then I'll make a big collage whit them there will be also some of mine
Unfortunately I have to wait many days but you can post some of yours here and if I like them I'll use them for my collage :grin:

PS for Shinru202 :
If you want you don't have to post yours because I can take them from my Miiverse account (when I will return)

Last edited:

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
This guy just isn't giving up...

Here was his response to the spiel I went on about yesterday:

" ROB is a robot and G&W was meant to be unique. Metaknight has always been the cool silent type, but Ridley's a different story. It's not a case of status or size, he's just not as cartoonish as the others. In his recent appearances, he's been fairly detailed and stuff, and it just wouldn't fit. His design doesn't work for Smash's style."

Here's what I said back:

"First, I'd like to point out that you're setting a double-standard. You're making excuses for characters that are already in so that you can tell yourself that Ridley has no chance. Meta Knight is only silent because most Kirby games aren't dialogue driven. In KSS/KSSU and Brawl, it's made very clear through subtitles and voice acting that he does talk, thus putting holes in you "cool,silent type" theory. Also, "ROB is a robot" isn't a legitimate case. Mega Man is also a robot. Should ROB be taken out because he can't meet the standard set by fellow robots? I don't think you understand how little Smash is driven by emotion. Pretty much the only look any character has is "neutral" and "in pain". Ridley can do both of those.

Please understand how little water this "character" argument holds. Have you ever heard Sakurai say anything that indicated the absence of a character based SOLELY around potential facial expressions? That's the least of his worries! I think he's more focused on incorporating characters pivotal to Nintendo's success who can carry an interesting fighting style. "

Top Bottom