• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
This guy just isn't giving up...

Here was his response to the spiel I went on about yesterday:

" ROB is a robot and G&W was meant to be unique. Metaknight has always been the cool silent type, but Ridley's a different story. It's not a case of status or size, he's just not as cartoonish as the others. In his recent appearances, he's been fairly detailed and stuff, and it just wouldn't fit. His design doesn't work for Smash's style."

Here's what I said back:

"First, I'd like to point out that you're setting a double-standard. You're making excuses for characters that are already in so that you can tell yourself that Ridley has no chance. Meta Knight is only silent because most Kirby games aren't dialogue driven. In KSS/KSSU and Brawl, it's made very clear through subtitles and voice acting that he does talk, thus putting holes in you "cool,silent type" theory. Also, "ROB is a robot" isn't a legitimate case. Mega Man is also a robot. Should ROB be taken out because he can't meet the standard set by fellow robots? I don't think you understand how little Smash is driven by emotion. Pretty much the only look any character has is "neutral" and "in pain". Ridley can do both of those.

Please understand how little water this "character" argument holds. Have you ever heard Sakurai say anything that indicated the absence of a character based SOLELY around potential facial expressions? That's the least of his worries! I think he's more focused on incorporating characters pivotal to Nintendo's success who can carry an interesting fighting style. "
I'm more surprised you're still talking to this guy. The thick skull he likely possesses cannot be bypassed by any amount of logic.

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
I'm more surprised you're still talking to this guy. The thick skull he likely possesses cannot be bypassed by any amount of logic.
I have a lot of time on my hands. I do classes online, so I'm on YouTube all the time, anyway. I decided an easy way to pass the time would be to debate people online about Smash Bros (completely aware that they may never change their minds because they showed up to be entertained, not to socialize with people about common interests). But since I'm starting to vocalize about how he doesn't have a leg to stand on, I'll probably eventually just end the conversation if he keeps coming back as if I never addressed the issue.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
But since I'm starting to vocalize about how he doesn't have a leg to stand on, I'll probably eventually just end the conversation if he keeps coming back as if I never addressed the issue.
Ah, the old anti-Ridley standby: ignoring the evidence and continuing to make an idiot out of yourself.

You know, it's people like this that are bringing our literacy rate down.

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664

Here's how Ridley's STATS would be in an Etrian Odyssey game.
Atlus, PLEASE BRING THE DRAGON CLASS in the next Etrian Odyssey game so I can name the purple dragon as Ridley.:)

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I actually do think Doc Louis will comment on his size.

"Maaaaaan, and I thought King Hippo was big! Go for the shins, Mac baby!"

Alternatively him just making this face

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I actually do think Doc Louis will comment on his size.

"Maaaaaan, and I thought King Hippo was big! Go for the shins, Mac baby!"

Alternatively him just making this face

You know, that face would also be appropriate if Doc accidentally gets a glimpse of what lies up Rosalina's gown. :troll:

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
You know, that face would also be appropriate if Doc accidentally gets a glimpse of what lies up Rosalina's gown. :troll:
Ah, to know the cosmos~
But seeing the truth of the universe can do crazy things to a man.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
i think he will flap his wings and scream ''it's a livin''
i don't know why, but i thought that every time he was in the "helpless" state falling he would scream " STILL FALLIN' "....Yeah, i got that from Retsupurae's Ridley voice....

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Ok when people bring up the NES limitations "fact" where is the source to that? I am absolutely certain that originated here on these very boards from nothing more than an assumption. If there is a source can someone please show me. Even the less technical Metroid 2 on Gameboy has Metroids in there different stages bigger than Ridley.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Ok when people bring up the NES limitations "fact" where is the source to that? I am absolutely certain that originated here on these very boards from nothing more than an assumption. If there is a source can someone please show me. Even the less technical Metroid 2 on Gameboy has Metroids in there different stages bigger than Ridley.
I have no idea, but I suppose that it's because the bosses were bigger in the remake : Metroid Zero Mission.

What baffles me tough is the fact that we have to act like the original Metroid never happened since it has a remake if we were to listen to the Too bigots.

Also there have been bosses and playable characters on the NES that were way bigger than Ridley, here's some exemples :

And then again, even if were to be true and that yes, Ridley was indeed small because of technical limitations, he still doesn't change the fact that Ridley was that size back then.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
And then again, even if were to be true and that yes, Ridley was indeed small because of technical limitations, he still doesn't change the fact that Ridley was that size back then.
Rayman didn't have arms due to technical limitations, and they kept that cannon...

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Rayman didn't have arms due to technical limitations, and they kept that cannon...
Mega Man was blue because of technical limitations and they kept that canon...

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I have no idea, but I suppose that it's because the bosses were bigger in the remake : Metroid Zero Mission.

What baffles me tough is the fact that we have to act like the original Metroid never happened since it has a remake if we were to listen to the Too bigots.

Also there have been bosses and playable characters on the NES that were way bigger than Ridley, here's some exemples :

I like how one's Godzilla, and another's some Xenomorph... thing? Guess it kinda makes me reevaluate how much weight the whole technical limitations excuse has for the NES Metroid, not that it matters that much anyway because of Zero Mission, and the NES Ridley has always been one of the least effective ways of defending him far as size goes.

Accursed

Smash Journeyman
I drew this picture a few days ago, and I thought, "Why not? I'll show off my drawing here!"

So here it is!

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I didn't know that Other M Ridley could look so good!

he still doesn't, but hey, at least that drawing is well-drawn and good in aspects other than the subject matter!

Top Bottom