• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Marios like 4 ft tall, and Bowser about 6 ft tall. (according to the Mario Size Chart)

And I hear Samus is at least 7 ft tall, is that right?
Samus is 6'3 in her suit according to previous Metroid games, I think Bowser is at least a bit taller then her on average but like said above it's hard to say since it's inconsistent.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
It's pretty hard to find a "normal" size for Bowser. I believe in the sports games at least, Bowser's size is based on his appearance from SMB3, which is 1.5x the height of Mario. I have reason to believe Mario is supposed to be 1.5m, 4' 11". This would put Bowser around 2.25m, 7' 5". Samus is officially 1.9m, 6' 3". Also Little Mac is 1.7m, 5'7", and Mega Man is officially 1.32m, 4' 4".

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218

I'm pretty sure that this is the "natural" Bowser's size... seems to be compatible with his appearance in SM64, in the Galaxy ending, and now, in Super Mario 3D Land and World.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I miss @ Oasis_S Oasis_S and his obsession for saying how much things would weigh if they were made out of different materials...
How heavy would Ridley be if he was made out of Osmium?!?! Nobody will tell meeeee.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630

I'm pretty sure that this is the "natural" Bowser's size... seems to be compatible with his appearance in SM64, in the Galaxy ending, and now, in Super Mario 3D Land and World.
OH? YOU CHALLENGING ME BRO? YOU WANNA PLAY SOME HARDBALL? LET ME TOSS YOU SOME BALL-SHAPED NUMBERS THEN.

IN THE MARIO HEIGHT CHART EVERYONE HAS SEEN BY NOW BEFORE, MARIO IS 90 PIXELS TALL AND BOWSER'S HEAD IS 70 PIXELS TALL (chin to horn tip). KNOWING MARIO IS SUPPOSEDLY 150CM, THIS WOULD MAKE BOWSER'S HEAD 116.7CM TALL. IN THAT IMAGE THERE, MARIO IS ABOUT 41 PIXELS TALL, AND BOWSER'S HEAD IS ABOUT 57. PROPORTIONATELY, THIS WOULD MEAN BOWSER'S HEAD IS ABOUT 208.5CM TALL. SO THEN HOW BIG DOES THAT MAKE BOWSER IN THAT IMAGE? WELL IF A 116.7CM HEAD MEANS A 225CM BOWSER, THEN A 208.5CM HEAD MEANS A 402CM BOWSER.

IT'S JUST MATH DUDE. YOU CAN'T WIN. WAY TOO STRONG. HOPELESS.

AND YOU WANT TO KNOW THE BEST PART? Previous estimations on the sprites of Super Metroid puts Ridley's height at around 408cm. These are kind of rough estimations, but I believe it's safe to say the least you can gain from it is Bowser now is roughly the size of Ridley then. So y'know, too big.

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
So, there's this guy I'm debating in a comments section on YouTube, and he tried to disprove Ridley's odds on the grounds of a point I've never heard before.

Ridley isn't good at showing emotion (as in, because Ridley's pterodactyl face can't display the emotions that humans can, it would keep him out of Smash).

OKAY EVERYBODY WE GOTTA PACK UP WE CAN'T DO THIS ANY MORE WE LOSE!

On a serious note, I directed the fellow to one of my favorite Nintendo characters: Meta Knight. I also let him know that his point didn't matter in the long run.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
"But Meta Knight's broken! That means if Ridley can't show emotion, he'd be broken, so he can't be playable."

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I love how Super Metroid Ridley isn't even all that big.
Well I mean y'know 4m is like the height of a T-Rex but I mean I get ya I feel ya.

Also I was about to come in here all like "I FINALLY GOT MY HANDS ON THE SUNSHINE BOWSER MODEL AND IT TURNS OUT HE IS 60 METERS TALL THAT'S TALLER THAN GODZILLA BACK IN THE DAY" but it turned out none of the Sunshine models were to scale with one another and, you know, that hurts me. What the hell game designers, get it together.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Ridley = Rodan
DK = King Kong
Bowser = Godzilla
R.O.B = Mecha Kong with his psudeo-flesh burned off

Dairz

Smash Ace
Bowser is MUCH larger than any character in Smash in his most recent canon appearance. He's seemingly adopted a new "standard" size as of Galaxy, one that rivals Ridley in size, or perhaps even surpasses him.

Also, Samus is only like 6' 2''.
Okay, then switch Samus and Bowser while also making him larger. The point is, Ridleys size can be changed, because almost everybody is. Olimar was made 30x bigger for Brawl, why cant Ridley be made smaller?

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Okay, then switch Samus and Bowser while also making him larger. The point is, Ridleys size can be changed, because almost everybody is. Olimar was made 30x bigger for Brawl, why cant Ridley be made smaller?
Because I want to play as a goddamn purple space dragon, not a goddamn purple space dragon. :mad:

Last edited:

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
This needs to be said:

Can we stop r u n n i n g to smaller characters that have been scaled UP to prove that Ridley can be scaled DOWN? It's been said often enough that scaling up and scaling down aren't mutually exclusive. It makes us look weak to keep going that route again and again.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Sakurai said Ridley could be done if his team puts in their best effort. Seems like he challenged his future self (which is now present self) to make Ridley playable.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
So, there's this guy I'm debating in a comments section on YouTube, and he tried to disprove Ridley's odds on the grounds of a point I've never heard before.

Ridley isn't good at showing emotion (as in, because Ridley's pterodactyl face can't display the emotions that humans can, it would keep him out of Smash).

On a serious note, I directed the fellow to one of my favorite Nintendo characters: Meta Knight. I also let him know that his point didn't matter in the long run.
AndreaAC has already proven that statement wrong. :smash:

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
AndreaAC has already proven that statement wrong. :smash:
I'm a little surprised that it was even conceived as an actual counterargument. It seems less like a legitimate point and more like a desperate grasp for straws from someone who doesn't feel like throwing up their hands and saying," I just don't like Ridley, okay?!!!"

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Hmm. I can't say I've gotten that response a lot.
>8D

Sakurai said Ridley could be done if his team puts in their best effort. Seems like he challenged his future self (which is now present self) to make Ridley playable.
What if his future self left a message to his past self, who is now his present self? :crazy:

Sakurai is the 13th Doctor

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist

O2A571_0D54EA215D648_000.gif

"sniff.....who says that i can't show emotions?....sniff...C-can't you see how a tear comes out of my eye in SADNESS?....sniff..."

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
>8D

What if his future self left a message to his past self, who is now his present self? :crazy:

Sakurai is the 13th Doctor
Well, then Ridley confirmed. (I don't even know what number doctor we are on anymore)

Last edited:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
The hilarious part is that characters' faces have never been very expressive in Smash, outside of "blank" and "ouch."

And then you have R.O.B. over there with ONLY EYES.

Obviously there's more than conveying personality than facial expressions, which Smash has been pretty good about. Ridley would be no exception.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
View attachment 10147

"sniff.....who says that i can't show emotions?....sniff...C-can't you see how a tear comes out of my eye in SADNESS?....sniff..."
I assume those tears are highly acidic.

Even in his moments of vulnerability, Ridley continues to be dangerous.

Well, then Ridley confirmed. (I don't even know what number doctor we are on anymore)
12th Doctor, with Peter Capaldi (whose adventures resume later this year).

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
Woah, woah! Wait, you guys! Emotion has always been an important part of Smash Bros! Just look at Dedede in Brawl! the way that he always looks spaced out no matter what he's doing is the exact reason he got in in the first place!

And, according to this guy on YouTube who shall remain anonymous, Meta Knight is an exception to this rule because he can look around! So, technically, he's showing emotion because, through his eyes, he can tell people," Hey, I'm looking over here", or, "Hey, I'm looking over there". BUT RIDLEY CAN'T DO THAT SO DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT HIM GETTING IN.

You guys are being silly!

:troll:

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, the guy I've been chatting with in the comments section wrote back a few minutes ago. Apparently, bringing a Meta Knight to a "Ridley doesn't have any emotion" fight is a bad move because Meta Knight can look around and, therefore, gets the okay to be in Smash Bros. Ridley, on the other hand, has a stone face and can't so much as look at stuff, and that is too detrimental to his chances.

I disagreed with him.

Top Bottom