• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
So, how likely do you guys think it is for Ridley to get some kind of transformation Final Smash? I wouldn't be too surprised to see him turn into Meta Ridley. But I suppose a giant Fireball would be effective too.
Transformation Final Smashes are overplayed in my opinion, whenever people make movesets for potential newcomers they end up with transformation Final Smashes way too often imo, ranging from Mega Evolutions to K. Rool equipping his blunderbuss to the actually confirmed Giga Mac. They're only cool because they're so unique, giving too many characters them would make them less cool.

I'd be more happy with a FS where Ridley simply wrecks the target completely, the Other M mega-fireball, or even a Space Pirate raid. It's not like his Meta Ridley form is that much stronger than his regular form anyways, it's merely equipped with new weapons.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Transformation Final Smashes are overplayed in my opinion, whenever people make movesets for potential newcomers they end up with transformation Final Smashes way too often imo, ranging from Mega Evolutions to K. Rool equipping his blunderbuss to the actually confirmed Giga Mac. They're only cool because they're so unique, giving too many characters them would make them less cool.

I'd be more happy with a FS where Ridley simply wrecks the target completely, the Other M mega-fireball, or even a Space Pirate raid. It's not like his Meta Ridley form is that much stronger than his regular form anyways, it's merely equipped with new weapons.
I personally like them. So I can't say I completely agree. But I do understand that having too many of them would be stagnant. It seems kind of plausible to have some characters like Megaman or Little Mac have these transformations, since they have some sort of source material. I wouldn't worry too much about Lucario having his Mega form. He's already got Aura Storm, which is a unique attack as it is. Not sure why anyone would want that for K. Rool though, the Blunderbuss seems like it would fare much better as a normal weapon for him to use.

As for Ridley, while his Meta form isn't too much stronger than before, the added weapons could stand out enough on their own. Instead of a Fireball, he can use the Kinetic beams from Metroid Prime, or the homing missiles.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I want him to absorb Phazon and turn into Omega Ridley, then fly into the background and start firing Kintetic Beams all over the place.
c: i would love to see his Meta and Omega forms like i said before.....but the problem is....how would he be able to transform into these, if he is going to be based after his other m incarnation? I definitely would NOT like to see a other m-fied Meta/Omega Ridley.....:crying:....and I do not care what design use for him now, obviously they are going to use the Other M one.....but even if i do not care that much any more about his design after seeing many cool pics here...that doesn't mean i like it, i still don't like his design and random evolutionary line...

The one from Brawl/SM, ZM and Mike Sneath's designs of Ridley are outstanding....

You may all say, why im still ranting about it when many of you have accepted it.....i can't help it...im sorry, but im still wanting Ridley with whatever designs they choose for him....

I needed to get all that out of my mouth....

Last edited:

Groose

Smash Champion
You know, I find it funny how all the Too Big argument target Ridley almost exclusively, yet there's no mention of the equally requested K. Rool, a character that, like Ridley, is about twice as large as his nemesis, who also happens to be among the largest characters of the current cast. It's also worth noting that K. Rool is far more massive than Ridley, given his noticeable girth in contrast to the pterosaur's lankiness.
K. Rool is a crocodile. Crocodiles come in all shapes and sizes. Ridley is a dragon. Dragon anatomy dictates that they're freaking huge! People, Ridley is too big to be in Smash!

No disrespect, Shokio. Most of your videos are good, but your first Ridley one has a few too many logical fallacies for me.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
K. Rool is a crocodile. Crocodiles come in all shapes and sizes. Ridley is a dragon. Dragon anatomy dictates that they're freaking huge! People, Ridley is too big to be in Smash!

No disrespect, Shokio. Most of your videos are good, but your first Ridley one has a few too many logical fallacies for me.
Especially when we have :charizard:.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Especially when we have :charizard:.
but charizard isn't a dragon type!!!

In all seriousness, I often look at all these arguments over Ridley, all these technicalities of why these characters work and Ridley doesn't, and I have to wonder... aren't we over thinking this?

I mean, I think some arguments such as tricky anatomy to program and the need for a proper scale would certainly be considered, but all this stuff about what Ridley's key characteristics are, why Bowser and Olimar could be resized and why Ridley can't, Ridley's "fear factor"... I really wonder if Sakurai even takes these sort of things into question. I, nor anyone else, can claim to know how Sakurai thinks, but if I were in his place, I would instead focus on whether or not this character is worthy of the title "Nintendo All-Star." I would like to think that that is the most important part of adding any character to the roster.

domriver

Smash Lord
So, how likely do you guys think it is for Ridley to get some kind of transformation Final Smash? I wouldn't be too surprised to see him turn into Meta Ridley. But I suppose a giant Fireball would be effective too.
I was hoping a Final Smash like calling Mother Brain from Super Metroid to help! Firing her lasers and what not. Meta Ridley or Omega Ridley also not sure.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I love how people are now shifting from "Ridley's too big" to "Ridley doesn't have a personality". Because you know. That matters in a crossover game about nintendo characters punching the crap out of each other.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I love how people are now shifting from "Ridley's too big" to "Ridley doesn't have a personality". Because you know. That matters in a crossover game about nintendo characters punching the crap out of each other.
Wii Fit Trainer could have been said to not have a personality prior to her inclusion, yet she's currently the femme fatale of the SSB4 cast.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Wii Fit Trainer could have been said to not have a personality prior to her inclusion, yet she's currently the femme fatale of the SSB4 cast.
To be totally honest, in general Mario and Link don't have personalities. But hey, they made it in the first game. And really, Pokemon don't have personalities considering they're generic members of prolific fictional animal species.

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Let's all be real here: Ridley couldn't work as anything besides a Charizard clone. You know, because dragons can't do anything other than breath fire and smash rocks. I mean, do they even pogo stick?

He would work even better as a 1:1 Bowser clone. Do I even need to elaborate? Clearly big-ass turtles look and behave very similarly to freaking space dragons, so the laws of physics dictate that they should and shall have the exact same moveset and properties.

If you disagree, then I'm afraid it's high time you reconsider your status as a human being, and know that imagination is for scrubs only.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Yeah y'know, with all the abundance of personality Mario has, Ridley's just going to bring him down.

When will it end!?!

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace

I can see Meta Ridley being an alt costume more than a FS, thats is if alt costumes are a thing in this game.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
ridley and the flaming lips

a connection i thought i would never lay
The point of the post is shokio kept saying in the video that Ridley is too big for smash and on wendsday sakurai just destory he's whole theory with words not all characters are up to size check the quote on feburary 19th

And the song is call your invisible now saying to shokio on that video your invisible now

AndreaAC

Sorry for my rant from before....well, i did not did a Ridley expression gif....i tried to practice movement....

L2A571_0D49316D9C29C_003.gif

I know his movements are erractic and bad.....but it was my first try and that damned tiny DSi screen doesn't help.....i hope i learn to animate better than that....

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Not to be a downer, but I just can't see him as a workable smash fighter. Trust me I've tried to...
Well, just wait for now. If he does get made into a playable character it will be made by people who have had MONTHS to look it over, so it would probably end up good.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Sorry for my rant from before....well, i did not did a Ridley expression gif....i tried to practice movement....

View attachment 8991

I know his movements are erractic and bad.....but it was my first try and that damned tiny DSi screen doesn't help.....i hope i learn to animate better than that....
He walks like a cat. :3

EDIT:
MEOWDLEY.png

idk

Last edited:

AndreaAC

He walks like a cat. :3

EDIT:
View attachment 8995

idk
X2A571_0D493BC832104_001.gif

"*eyetwitch* You....turned me into a WHAT?!"

I'm sorry, it was the fault of my bad animating skills.....but don't worry, I will do it better sooner or later :3

xD i think i will be still doing the Ridley expressions gifs...they are more fun to make!

Last edited:

Glyphoscythe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Glyphoscythe
3DS FC
0834-0985-0680
Since the characters are getting more detailed facial expressions this time around, I wonder what kinds of goofy faces Ridley might make.

Of course, if Ridley does something silly, that might ruin his image. Best not put him in the game. People would never take Metroid games seriously again if they saw him do something out of character. /s

But seriously tho, I'm excited for this game.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'd say we turn "Bunny Hood Ridley Matches" into a recurring thing, just to rub it in how we're "ruining his character" or whatever.

"Oh noes! People are having fun with an awesome character! That's some end-of-times s*** right there!"

Last edited:

AndreaAC

oh...well i will stop for a while with the gifs....I will show you 2 drawings i forgot to post

425907_237558869659023_1337495015_n.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom