• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
I don't know if this has been posted yet, but this is the image I use to put every TooBiggot naysayer in their place.
I feel this size coupled with the Other M design is a perfect fit for Ridley in Sm4sh, much more than a purple malnourished charizard.

Edit: Not that anything is wrong with his classic design. This is just the design I would see them using. Especially since Ridley is once again back to a decent size.
I think now more than ever is Ridley's time to shine.
I want Ridley to have an original smash design like a mix of the classic and this one but if Other M Ridley is playable I hope Sakurai gives him a touch-up like he did with samus. At least get rid of the flat duck mouth.

Zynux

Smash Lord
Do you actually mean hitboxes (area where Ridley's moves land) or do you mean hurtboxes (area where Ridley can be hit)?
Meant Hurtboxes.

I'd presume that the tail would wrap around itself, maybe also shrinking it a bit for static poses and elongating for attacks. As for the wings, maybe shrink them down a bit and pull a Charizard where they don't count towards his hurtbox.
Hm, seems like that is a safe bet, having it elongate when attacking but otherwise not nearly as long.

Ridley could always have his wings folded and tail curled up, except when jumping or attacking.
At first I thought that would be awkward, which is why I ignored it, but I don't know why I did rofl. Now that I think about it having his wings folded while on the ground would probably work fine.

Last edited:

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
Ridley will probably have his wings folded when on the ground, his tail I'm not so sure about; he could probably keep it bent/curled around to the side. But from a gameplay-perspective I'd think he wouldn't have any hurtboxes on his wings or tail, I'd just make him too large of a target. And besides, his tail has always been the one part of him that's invulnerable in the 2D Metroid games.

So what I believe, is that his hurtbox would mainly be centered on his body, limbs and head. But not his wings and tail, as that would make a large target even unnecessarily larger.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Awesome Ridley gifs. Would make my own, but Flipnote 3D is apparantly doomed to never come here, so, yeah...

Anyways... um... forgot what I was gonna say.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
So what I believe, is that his hurtbox would mainly be centered on his body, limbs and head. But not his wings and tail, as that would make a large target even unnecessarily larger.
Yeah, something like this would be best. If the tail takes damage at all, it shouldn't cause flinching or knockback. I'd hate for Ridley to give up cool poses just to keep the tail curled up all the time.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Hey guys I think we can look at usa dates for metroid stuff now

Diddy kong got revealed for the usa/Europe release of donkey kong country tropical freeze

MasterofMonster

Smash Master

Diddy kong got revealed for the usa/Europe release of donkey kong country tropical freeze
Just a shame there's nothing Metroid known now coming out way. :/ I am sure Retro is working on Another FPA Metroid, but I expect it to be far away. And I have faith that there's a game like Super Metroid in the works (like how they did a 'retro Zelda' with ALBW), but with none announced, there's no releases to look for. Ugh, I miss Metroid.

And Ridley better be in the next one. He's the best 'almost final' boss there is.

BoxedCookies

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5370-0875-8652
Just a shame there's nothing Metroid known now coming out way. :/ I am sure Retro is working on Another FPA Metroid, but I expect it to be far away. And I have faith that there's a game like Super Metroid in the works (like how they did a 'retro Zelda' with ALBW), but with none announced, there's no releases to look for. Ugh, I miss Metroid.

And Ridley better be in the next one. He's the best 'almost final' boss there is.
I believe Super Metroid Anniversary for America is in April and Europe is somewhere in June/July, not entirely sure. Maybe a Nintendo Direct in April for the reveal? Plus me too, I needs me some Metroid.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I believe Super Metroid Anniversary for America is in April and Europe is somewhere in June/July, not entirely sure. Maybe a Nintendo Direct in April for the reveal? Plus me too, I needs me some Metroid.
I'm going to gag and breathe into a bag if a direct is in April and its on the same day on the anniversary of super metroid and sakurai tweets about the direct

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
A 2D Metroid game on the 3DS would be sick. Plus, Zero Mission is comng to Wii U VC, so we could get Zamus and Ridley in April. We will call it: Metroid Month.

BoxedCookies

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5370-0875-8652
A 2D Metroid game on the 3DS would be sick. Plus, Zero Mission is comng to Wii U VC, so we could get Zamus and Ridley in April. We will call it: Metroid Month.
Is Metroid Fusion coming to the VC as well? Also, looks like April will be my favourite month. :D Metroid Month.....I like it.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
My guess right now is september for the Metroid : Other M anniversary since it's the game represented in Smash 4.

Last edited:

Dairz

Smash Ace
All the other newcomers were shown randomly, (Rosalina for no reason, Mac for no reason) so I'm expecting just a random date for Ridley to be revealed, or E3.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Good morning all, hope you're all doing well. Well, I have nothing on Ridley today, but I DO have something on Mother Brain. :p

It's basically my custom design of canon for a playable Mother Brain using a mobile command base. :p If Ridley gets in, Mother Brain will be my next requested Metroid character for the next game.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Might as well support Wispy Woods. They'll be surely included in Smash Bros. For Wii 20XX.

After Ridley, K. Rool and Mewtwo are in, I won't care about what characters are added.

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
Good morning all, hope you're all doing well. Well, I have nothing on Ridley today, but I DO have something on Mother Brain. :p

It's basically my custom design of canon for a playable Mother Brain using a mobile command base. :p If Ridley gets in, Mother Brain will be my next requested Metroid character for the next game.
I prefer her as a boss or an assist trophy (sorry)
Maybe ,after Ridley , the Zebesian or Anthony could be some good choices

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I'm very late for this but, i like how Sakurai just said that character's size doesn't matter in two pics in a row (the nintendog one and the one comparing Samus and Li'l Mac)
So it's already said that, if a characters like Ridley don't make it in, it wont be because a size issue.

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
I'm very late for this but, i like how Sakurai just said that character's size doesn't matter in two pics in a row (the nintendog one and the one comparing Samus and Li'l Mac)
So it's already said that, if a characters like Ridley don't make it in, it wont be because a size issue.
yes you're right but if he won't be playable the toobigots will say that his size was the motivation :facepalm:

the only good end to this arguement is that he will be playable

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Rosalina was for 3D world
Mac was for the punch-out anniversary

research before talking...
Rosalina was more than a month away from 3D World's release, I doubt it was to support the game. If anything it was just extra fodder for Mario Kart 8 hype.

I don't think it'll be a necessity for newcomer trailers to fall on specific dates in order for them to appear when they do, it'll probably just be a veteran's thing. If a character like K. Rool or Takamaru is in the game, they'll have a hard time fitting them in anywhere.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Is Zero Mission really coming to the VC? I thought it was only Fusion. Zero Mission also has its 10 years anniversary in May, which would be quite an obvious date to show off Zero Suit Samus, since that's where her design and everything comes from.

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
Until his confirmation ... here you are a very good SSBB hack ... shokio: "there are NO good Ridley's hack" :awesome:

Dairz

Smash Ace
Rosalina was for 3D world
Mac was for the punch-out anniversary

research before talking...
Rosalina was for 3D world, a month after its release? Thats a stretch. I didn't think Little Mac was revealed for the anniversary because he wasn't in the original arcade version, but I guess he is the symbol of Punch-Out!!, whoops.

D

Deleted member

Even if he wasn't in the original arcade game, his promotional material heavily uses that game as a point of reference, with an arcade cabinet of the game being in his trailer and his "poster" on the site being based a parody of a typical screenshot of the game.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
You i just relized something I forgot to do this on wendsday

Here's a song for you shokio

That's right shokio

(Again there are still a few people still argueing about Ridleys size is too big they get the song too but it's pretty much a defeated con of Ridley at this point)

Last edited:

Shaking//very

Smash Apprentice
You i just relized something I forgot to do this on wendsday

Here's a song for you shokio

That's right shokio

(Again there are still a few people still argueing about Ridleys size is too big they get the song too but it's pretty much a defeated con of Ridley at this point)
ridley and the flaming lips

a connection i thought i would never lay

imabeast78

Smash Apprentice

Well Super Metroid was released March 19, 1994 in Japan.
GDC 2014 is March 17 - 21.
I don't think they would have a Nintendo direct for GDC but those are some interesting dates.

If we just go by bimonthly directs then we will probably have one in April then the next one would be during E3. A lot of people are leaning towards a Fire Emblem newcomer in April because of the FE Anniversary. Who knows though.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
If we're talking about something too big, I want everyone to know that this is too big for Smash (you'll know it when you see it)...

Yeah... Ridley's not as big in comparison to that. :rotfl:

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
You know, I find it funny how all the Too Big argument target Ridley almost exclusively, yet there's no mention of the equally requested K. Rool, a character that, like Ridley, is about twice as large as his nemesis, who also happens to be among the largest characters of the current cast. It's also worth noting that K. Rool is far more massive than Ridley, given his noticeable girth in contrast to the pterosaur's lankiness.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
You know, I find it funny how all the Too Big argument target Ridley almost exclusively, yet there's no mention of the equally requested K. Rool, a character that, like Ridley, is about twice as large as his nemesis, who also happens to be among the largest characters of the current cast. It's also worth noting that K. Rool is far more massive than Ridley, given his noticeable girth in contrast to the pterosaur's lankiness.
I have seen the "Too Big" argument used against King K. Rool, believe it or not. It was used mostly on GameFAQs, but I've also seen it on Youtube whenever people brought up "valid points" against his inclusion beyond "muh relevance"

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Bowser is too big as well and yet they've managed to incorporate him into the ssb games so I can see them doing the same with both Ridley and K. Rool.

Dairz

Smash Ace
Rosalina was for 3D world for sure. They know a lot of people have their eyes on smash bros, and they used that to advertise a little.
A month after release? There cant be anybody out there that bought Mario 3D World because Rosalina was announced for Smash Brothers, those people would've bought 3D world when Rosalina was announced for, y'know, Mario 3D World.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So, how likely do you guys think it is for Ridley to get some kind of transformation Final Smash? I wouldn't be too surprised to see him turn into Meta Ridley. But I suppose a giant Fireball would be effective too.

Top Bottom