• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
You know who else was "Little" before? Ridley.
Regular Ridley will still probably make Giga Mac look adorable and fun-sized.

I presume that was an innuendo...
What isn't innuendo? Hell we're always on about "too big" this and "fits in just fine" that.

With all this discussion on size, I don't know which I'm more motivated to play: A Metroid game or a Punch-Out game.
The only acceptable solution is both.

D

Deleted member

Regular Ridley will still probably make Giga Mac look adorable and fun-sized.
.....Giga Ridley.

*opens the floodgates*

EDIT:
Umm....Angelglory....is there something you haven't told us?

Last edited by a moderator:

Groose

Smash Champion
It's true though.

Ridley and Little Mac were the two characters who really only had popularity in the west.

Japan's like "meh."
Now wait just a second! My observations of the Japanese fanbase are limited and may not represent the full picture, but they do contradict one of your statements.

In Japan, Little Mac was actually somewhat expected. He'd often be listed aside Takamaru in lists of "other" or "older" characters that were likely to be included. In addition, he had some small level of support. Overall, I'd compare Japan's Little Mac to our Takamaru--someone that most kind of expect because faraway people demand him. Both characters are rather unknown to the general audience of the region, but have developed an acceptable level of support among the more speculative community.

Ridley, on the other hand, gets a mention every now and again, but most people don't really express much interest or expectation like they did with Mac.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Question: If Ridley isn't that good of a character, will any of you guys still main him?
I play Captain Falcon, Samus, Jigglypuff and Mario in Brawl. I've always chosen my characters based on how much I like them, not how good they are (which ironically led me to play MK in Brawl,) so Ridley would be my main no matter what.

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
what's going on here

oh right japan fanbase

I would make a sarcastic response but I don't feel in the mood for it, but a character can still be stimulated by western popularity. Believe it or not, in brawl days after the trailer, the only character to score higher than Ridley was Sonic. I'd like to think that counts for something even if the west is alone.

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
when I will return to Miiverse I'll post here the link of the conversation where 2 toobigots blocked me for 2 weeks and you will have to judje if I was wrong or not .

btw here there are some good alts ;)

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
when I will return to Miiverse I'll post here the link of the conversation where 2 toobigots blocked me for 2 weeks and you will have
Now wait just a second! My observations of the Japanese fanbase are limited and may not represent the full picture, but they do contradict one of your statements.

In Japan, Little Mac was actually somewhat expected. He'd often be listed aside Takamaru in lists of "other" or "older" characters that were likely to be included. In addition, he had some small level of support. Overall, I'd compare Japan's Little Mac to our Takamaru--someone that most kind of expect because faraway people demand him. Both characters are rather unknown to the general audience of the region, but have developed an acceptable level of support among the more speculative community.

Ridley, on the other hand, gets a mention every now and again, but most people don't really express much interest or expectation like they did with Mac.
Well, thanks for dashing some of our hopes and expectations after Little Mac's reveal. Now that we know that Little Mac was decently popular in Japan while Ridley isn't expected, I've gone back to being pessimistic again. :/

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Just sort of depends in the end on how much weight regional appeal plays in the role of character choices. When Marth and Roy were placed in Melee, only a handful of people in the west at the time were aware of their existance.

Though I will admit at the same time we live in a slightly different world then we did during Melee's time and that kind of unawareness about a character's existance is less common then it once was thanks to increase communication. Which makes Japanense showing little to no interest in Ridley is not paritcularly a helping point.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Was this before or after the Boxing Ring was revealed?

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
No wonder Ridley hasn't been in Smash Yet. He can't find his invitation in this pile of presents!

EDIT: Um, I hope Gifs are ok. I'll remove it if it's not, I just found it to be hilarious.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
GIFs are okay provided they don't break any of the other rules, and pertain to said topic on hand. Though hilarious, that one gets posted here all too often.

Anyway from what I recall, both Mac and Ridley are/were "noted" in Japan for their overseas popularity. Ridley isn't unknown at all, considering even with diminished popularity he still managed to warrant the aforementioned (2nd) most mentions by Sakurai in that pre-Brawl poll thingy/two boss fights and trophies in Brawl. Metroid does have less popularity over there, but not to the extent people imagine (Prime sold less because the Japanese aren't as big on First Person Shooters/Adventures as we are here, not to mention the whole deal with handheld gaming being preferred to home consoles). Basically they view him how we view most additional reps to older series (as in they would be cool additions, but aren't necessary). Granted this is just assumption and speculation, but I'm almost positive they'd be just as hyped as we would to see him anyway. Just not before the likes of Mewtwo, Roy, Dixie/K. Rool, etc..

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
@ IsmaR IsmaR
Really sorry, IsmaR, I hadn't seen it Before and did the mistake to not look it up. I promise to not do it again.

Also, what you say makes sense. I just hope Sakurai agrees with us on why Ridley may be a good idea. Not just for Metroid, but for the bad guys as a whole.
Also add Medusa, King K. Rool and Ghirahim, and the bad guys are much better~

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
I have a funny trivia to say ;)
In my language there is the word "sciocco" which means "silly" ... the funny thing is that its pronunciation is very similar to the name "shokio"'s pronunciation
:awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
when I will return to Miiverse I'll post here the link of the conversation where 2 toobigots blocked me for 2 weeks and you will have to judje if I was wrong or not .

btw here there are some good alts ;)

Orange and black ones look legit. love/10

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Well, thanks for dashing some of our hopes and expectations after Little Mac's reveal. Now that we know that Little Mac was decently popular in Japan while Ridley isn't expected, I've gone back to being pessimistic again. :/
I wouldn't go as far as to say Mac was that popular in Japan too. Groose was just kinda pointing out the fact he at least had some small level of support/expectations there (where some of us liked to think or pretend he didn't), which isn't all that much more than can be said for Ridley when you think about it.

Your will is weakmust be stronger than that.

I see.

Well, the guy that did that did a damn good job working with Brawl's Ridley for MUGEN and it reminded me of the PSA you were working on.
Yeah, whoever the user is did a good job on incorporating that Ridley model. Normally not entertained by Mugen anymore, but I have to admit I got a kick out of seeing that Ridley beat some characters... like her.

That Dark Samus model is amazing too, but thought she'd at least put up more of a fight. Ah well, it's Mugen; what do you expect?

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
N2A571_0D486E429C146_000.gif

"....z..Z..z...."

:3 My DSi is alive again.....should i make more of those Ridley gifs?...and yes....that's Rid on PJs.....

Last edited:

Glyphoscythe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Glyphoscythe
3DS FC
0834-0985-0680
I'm envisioning those baby metroids are all purring and scree-ing with content.

Also, yes, you should make more Ridley gifs.

AndreaAC

I'm envisioning those baby metroids are all purring and scree-ing with content.

Also, yes, you should make more Ridley gifs.
:3 Then i will! :) i just need to get me some more ideas.....and i wish i could do more complex animations...but it is a little bit hard.....so for now i will be still doing various gifs with Ridley's expressions.....

Last edited:

ZanZero

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if this has been posted yet, but this is the image I use to put every TooBiggot naysayer in their place.
I feel this size coupled with the Other M design is a perfect fit for Ridley in Sm4sh, much more than a purple malnourished charizard.

Edit: Not that anything is wrong with his classic design. This is just the design I would see them using. Especially since Ridley is once again back to a decent size.
I think now more than ever is Ridley's time to shine.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Y2A571_0D4884C3C7DD2_000.gif

"Oh yeah....I'm so AWESOME that you can't stop drawing me....."

xD more random gifs with Ridley......and actually, i can't stop drawing/making gifs of him....it is so much fun! :3

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I don't know if this has been posted yet, but this is the image I use to put every TooBiggot naysayer in their place.
I feel this size coupled with the Other M design is a perfect fit for Ridley in Sm4sh, much more than a purple malnourished charizard.

Edit: Not that anything is wrong with his classic design. This is just the design I would see them using. Especially since Ridley is once again back to a decent size.
I think now more than ever is Ridley's time to shine.
Err.... Hate to say this, but you're a bit late to the party...

That picture originated from this thread. We've been using it for quite some time now. Although it is nice to see people recognizing it's quality.

ZanZero

Smash Apprentice
Err.... Hate to say this, but you're a bit late to the party...

That picture originated from this thread. We've been using it for quite some time now. Although it is nice to see people recognizing it's quality.
Ha! Yeah, I almost figured. Nice work, to whoever made that. It's quite the cornerstone when it comes to Ridley debates.
Honestly in the biggest arguement I had with someone about his size, this image turned it from a flamewar into an actually decent conversation.
So thanks for that.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
View attachment 8923

"Oh yeah....I'm so AWESOME that you can't stop drawing me....."

xD more random gifs with Ridley......and actually, i can't stop drawing/making gifs of him....it is so much fun! :3
That reminds that someone on this thread has suggested me to draw Ridley drinking from a mug that says "Your Tears" in it.

Still working on it. It's kind of hard to draw a dragon with a long snout drinking from a straw. :/

Last edited:

AndreaAC

That reminds that someone on this thread has suggested me to draw Ridley drinking from a mug that says "Your Tears" in it.

Still working on it. It's kind of hard to draw a dragon with a long snout drinking from a straw. :/
oh, I will try that....and good luck with it! and yes....it is hard,definitely...

@SchAlternate I tried.....I wish i could have done it in paper (and better...), but im a little tired....

52A571_0D48926FEFE96_001.gif

"They are DELICIOUS...."

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392