• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Did I mess up the term? Is it Giant or Mega Mushroom? XS

I also dread the sight of Ridley on Mushrooms.
W2A571_0D47CEEE66DF4_000.gif

"Mushrooms?.....I think I'm more in the mood for a cookie..."

xD Sorry....I NEED COOKIES....

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You mean saying Ridley is all but confirmed now because of this update doesn't make you look balantly stupid?

D

Deleted member

If people can get away with saying the statement on Pyrosphere's reveal means Ridley is all but confirmed to be a hazard, don't see how this update makes the opposite side any more stupid. :p

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You mean saying Ridley is all but confirmed now because of this update doesn't make you look balantly stupid?
Yeah.

It's just like the people who insist that the picture of the Phantom means no Sheik!

Wait a minute....

:troll:

#sorrynotsorry

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Those who subscribe to this notion are certainly jumping the gun.

For the record, I see Sakurai's caption merely as one further piece of information that can be used to argue in favour of Ridley's case (in addition to all existing arguments in his favour).

If people are excited, however, it is only because Ridley's case is already fairly strong, and Sakurai has only aided to make it stronger. The question being bandied about is how can Ridley possibly not get in at this point, with all the merits backing him?

At this point, only technical/developmental limitations - or Sakurai's opinions on Ridley's playable feasibility being vastly different from that of the Smash (/Ridley) fanbase - could serve to prevent Ridley from making the cut.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
At least Phantom is / could be related to Zelda's specials. Also, all other Specials outside Down B have been shown.

Here, Sakurai was just staying the obvious: characters are small, dogs are big.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
At least Phantom is / could be related to Zelda's specials. Also, all other Specials outside Down B have been shown.

I'm offical concluding your one of the people who refuse to surrender that the war of the ridley is too big. That just got ended by the man himself today

At this point Ridley will be in but at what category is the question (assist trophy/stage hazard on the pyrosphere/or the one everyone is hoping for playable)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am not saying too big. Never did. Ridley has enough issues aside from size, and people who overlook this, too bigots and Ridley supporters alike, are just not seeing things objectively.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Am not saying too big. Never did. Ridley has enough issues aside from size, and people who overlook this, too bigots and Ridley supporters alike, are just not seeing things objectively.
What issues does Ridley have that could prevent his playable inclusion, with or without size concerns? I'd be interested to know.

Not to speak for others, but I would prefer not to be overlooking something important.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Balance issues. Hardly any Japanese support. Metroid's controversiality in Japan. The newcomer of choice for the Metroid series being Zero Suit Samus in Brawl.

Then there's Cracks & Holes.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Never heard about Punch Out being less popular in Japan, or Little Mac being less requested.

Grimnir

Smash Apprentice
Balance issues. Hardly any Japanese support. Metroid's controversiality in Japan. The newcomer of choice for the Metroid series being Zero Suit Samus in Brawl.

This is a misconception that will just not die.

Metroid is LESS popular in Japan than the west. The idea that nobody likes Metroid in Japan is silly. Metroid games still sell in the 10,000 to 100,000 figures there. It's really only the Prime series that sold significantly less than in NA/EU and even then it still did decent.

As for "controversiality", could someone explain?

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Never heard about Punch Out being less popular in Japan, or Little Mac being less requested.
It's true though.

Ridley and Little Mac were the two characters who really only had popularity in the west.

Japan's like "meh."

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hey now. I don't agree with Diddy either, but let's not start anything.

Plus, he's half trolling you.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer

I see. If I may, I would like to comment on these points with some broad observations:

-Balance issues. I take this to mean that on account of Ridley's properties (bulk, aerial supremacy, strength, etc.), making him a balanced fighter in the roster poses several hurdles. And well it should. But is the task too daunting for a sizeable team of professional game developers? So far, and especially in the treatment and conception of the known Newcomers, Sora and Namco-Bandai have not yet given me reason to doubt that if they find Ridley worthy of inclusion, that they would be incapable of finding a way to make him work (scaling, balance, design, etc.).

-Japanese support. The inclusion of Little Mac seems to put this notion in question. To my understanding, Little Mac (and by extension, Punch-Out!!) is not very well known and/or very popular in Japan. Conversely, it seems his support in the West is much larger (as is Ridley's, allegedly). This seems to suggest, therefore, that for Smash 4, Sakurai and Co. are weighing Western, as well as Eastern, popularity/requests/etc. when it comes to Newcomer possibilities.

I cannot source or cite any of this information, as I'm essentially repeating what I've read. Perhaps other users can chime in, either to link to sources or to correct any of my mistakes.

-Metroid is controversial in Japan? I wasn't aware. In what way is Metroid controversial in the East?

-Zero Suit Samus as the Brawl Metroid Newcomer. Samus and Zero Suit Samus are the same person, much as Zelda and Sheik. These are all four playable fighters, but they are each two takes on the same character.

Sakurai may find Samus and ZSS sufficient for playable Metroid characters, true. I think we can both agree, however, that if there is to be a "third" Metroid character, Ridley is at the front of the waiting line. And ZSS's presence is not necessarily an obstacle for Ridley, especially since Ridley represents a Newcomer with a unique playstyle potential.

-If by Holes and Cracks, you refer to the layout of Pyrosphere, then that is a fair point. However, while I have not played Other M, it appears that the damage done in the Pyrosphere occurred during the Samus-Ridley battle.

It is doubtful that a Ridley Stage Hazard's role would be to mess up the Pyrosphere in this way (since he could only do so once). So, as far as the Smashverse is concerned, the Other M battle has already happened.

Does this mean that Stage Hazard Ridley will periodically come out (from the Holes and Cracks or elsewhere) and interfere in the battle on the stage? Does it mean that a playable Ridley will have his chance to get revenge on Samus in the Pyrosphere, after his defeat in their last Pyrosphere encounter?

The presence of the Holes and Cracks, to me, seems to work for both interpretations - and is therefore useful to neither.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I see. If I may, I would like to comment on these points with some broad observations:

-Balance issues. I take this to mean that on account of Ridley's properties (bulk, aerial supremacy, strength, etc.), making him a balanced fighter in the roster poses several hurdles. And well it should. But is the task too daunting for a sizeable team of professional game developers? So far, and especially in the treatment and conception of the known Newcomers, Sora and Namco-Bandai have not yet given me reason to doubt that if they find Ridley worthy of inclusion, that they would be incapable of finding a way to make him work (scaling, balance, design, etc.).

-Japanese support. The inclusion of Little Mac seems to put this notion in question. To my understanding, Little Mac (and by extension, Punch-Out!!) is not very well known and/or very popular in Japan. Conversely, it seems his support in the West is much larger (as is Ridley's, allegedly). This seems to suggest, therefore, that for Smash 4, Sakurai and Co. are weighing Western, as well as Eastern, popularity/requests/etc. when it comes to Newcomer possibilities.

I cannot source or cite any of this information, as I'm essentially repeating what I've read. Perhaps other users can chime in, either to link to sources or to correct any of my mistakes.

-Metroid is controversial in Japan? I wasn't aware. In what way is Metroid controversial in the East?

-Zero Suit Samus as the Brawl Metroid Newcomer. Samus and Zero Suit Samus are the same person, much as Zelda and Sheik. These are all four playable fighters, but they are each two takes on the same character.

Sakurai may find Samus and ZSS sufficient for playable Metroid characters, true. I think we can both agree, however, that if there is to be a "third" Metroid character, Ridley is at the front of the waiting line. And ZSS's presence is not necessarily an obstacle for Ridley, especially since Ridley represents a Newcomer with a unique playstyle potential.

-If by Holes and Cracks, you refer to the layout of Pyrosphere, then that is a fair point. However, while I have not played Other M, it appears that the damage done in the Pyrosphere occurred during the Samus-Ridley battle.

It is doubtful that a Ridley Stage Hazard's role would be to mess up the Pyrosphere in this way (since he could only do so once). So, as far as the Smashverse is concerned, the Other M battle has already happened.

Does this mean that Stage Hazard Ridley will periodically come out (from the Holes and Cracks or elsewhere) and interfere in the battle on the stage? Does it mean that a playable Ridley will have his chance to get revenge on Samus in the Pyrosphere, after his defeat in their last Pyrosphere encounter?

The presence of the Holes and Cracks, to me, seems to work for both interpretations - and is therefore useful to neither.
Agree with all

And the controversial is the same thing little mac disproves this theory he's probably equalling out western and eastern wants for smash 4

And that is because the western was controversial on ROB playable in brawl (ps he is still coming back easily)
And now he became loved so if Ridley is playable it could happen with Ridley at first hated in japan but then loved a little bit latter

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master

1. We have yet to see Nayru's Love.

2. The fire from Din's Fire actually wasn't shown, but was proven returned with a pose of a pic posted on the UK Facebook page.

3. Farore's Wind was the only one seen in action, also on the UK Facebook page.

In Conclusion: Sakurai and the Website have never posted a picture with any of Zelda's Specials. Only half have been proven to return all because of the UK facebook page.
And in Brawl, Sheik was the final special confirmed, months after Zelda.
Can't you just root for Impa AND Sheik? C'mon...

Felicafan444 made a video about this historical sakurai quote

Can I delete my posts? So I can just edit what's in this one to my first post? I don't think I can and I don't know why... sure would make things easier.

Last edited by a moderator:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
@ Angelglory Angelglory
I hope you don't mind if I request something from you, but when discussing Ridley in Smash with someone they brought up something that I think would be interesting to see.

May I ask of you to make another render of Ridley and Samus, but with Ridley grabbing Samus? He does that a lot in the Metroid franchise so I think it would be helpful to have that type of comparison.

Welshy91

Smash Ace

I was wondering what would spur you out of hiding. I've missed your antics, kinda. Not really though.

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
@ Angelglory Angelglory
I hope you don't mind if I request something from you, but when discussing Ridley in Smash with someone they brought up something that I think would be interesting to see.

May I ask of you to make another render of Ridley and Samus, but with Ridley grabbing Samus? He does that a lot in the Metroid franchise so I think it would be helpful to have that type of comparison.

(Ridley and Samus are the same sizes as my size comparison.)

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
@ Angelglory Angelglory

Quick question.

How long does it take you to make these poses?

It seems like it should take you hours but you do it in minutes.

Are you just that good?

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Now I just want to see Ridley with Charizard sized wings and a shorter tail, so people will stop complaining about them being to big.

Top Bottom