• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
As much as the facepalms are amusing, let's please not post too many pictures here. This is the Ridley thread, so discuss Ridley. Enough with the pictures guys.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if most of these people just don't want Ridley in Smash and/or don't want to be wrong about Ridley being unable to be playable in Smash. Now they have to leave the "too big" argument behind and thus they bring up some other stupid arguments in it's place.

People just refuse to admit they were wrong sometimes, a typical situation on the internet.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hey... I know that this is a cause for celebration, but lets not mock Shokio or any other youtuber here.

Lets not start wars here. Be the bigger man.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
So, for more Ridley talk, we need to design what he'd look like using different items. I think it'd be nice if he held blaster weapons in his feet ALA Super Metroid holding the Baby Metroid

Xhampi

Smash Lord
I wonder if Little Birdie and the Mystery Creature are going to appear in some way in Smash 4.

Any idea for how they could be represented ?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Hey... I know that this is a cause for celebration, but lets not mock Shokio or any other youtuber here.

Lets not start wars here. Be the bigger man.
Agreed. As terrible as his Ridley arguments are, Shokio certainly doesn't deserve to be mocked or insulted.

I am however hoping to enjoy a delicious rage fit from Nin10doUltra if Ridley gets confirmed.

I wonder if Little Birdie and the Mystery Creature are going to appear in some way in Smash 4.

Any idea for how they could be represented ?
I can see them being trophies, not sure what else they could be used for.

Last edited:

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
I see that miiverse is as devoid of the most basic intelligence as ever, personally I only venture there to look at/post awesome pictures.
And on that note, here's some more fanart:

(Tried to give him some facial expressions, which isn't easy considering how nonhuman his face is)

And here's some Samus too, because where there's a purple space-dragon, a familiar hunter is certainly nearby.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
There is no video as far as I know. A reporter from Nintendo World Report asked him during E3. You'll have to do a little digging or google Sakurai considers Mewtwo Nintendoworldreport.
Im not lying.....there is a video of it...someone recording behind the mewtwo guy most probly camera phone....really wanna watch it again...cant find it....maybe removed or something...

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I see that miiverse is as devoid of the most basic intelligence as ever, personally I only venture there to look at/post awesome pictures.
And on that note, here's some more fanart:

(Tried to give him some facial expressions, which isn't easy considering how nonhuman his face is)

And here's some Samus too, because where there's a purple space-dragon, a familiar hunter is certainly nearby.
:3 Awesome drawings! you get Other Ridley so well.....

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
:3 Awesome drawings! you get Other Ridley so well.....
Thanks, the more I draw him, the more Other-Ridley is becoming my favourite design. The spikes, the sharp edges, that dark and feral look that hides his true intelligence. It all just makes him that more awesome.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Whenever I see one of Crocovile's drawings it just makes me more certain that the problem with Other Ridley isn't the design choices, but rather the 3D model.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Thanks, the more I draw him, the more Other-Ridley is becoming my favourite design. The spikes, the sharp edges, that dark and feral look that hides his true intelligence. It all just makes him that more awesome.
You and many others here had inpired me....maybe someday i will draw Other Ridley too...indeed....i need it for other of my many Ridley future proyects...... ;3

Last edited:

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Whenever I see one of Crocovile's drawings it just makes me more certain that the problem with Other Ridley isn't the design choices, but rather the 3D model.
I agree with this. The Other M concept art looks fine. His model isn't very good though.

andimidna

Smash Master
-I like how Sakurai is like "size doesn't matter you guys!" And everyone is like "I'll just use the size argument even more!"

-There isn't really a argument you can use against Ridley now. Too big? Sakurai admitted Smash isn't canon to size. Moveset? He has claws, fire breath, and complete control of his tail.

-Obviously a game about a sentient flying glove giving toys life and making them fight for it's own amusement is canon.

-I believe Ridley has a very high chance of being playable now. He is the only first party Nintendo character I have seen mass groups of people asking for since Rosalina's reveal.

-I don't think it can just be a coincidence that Sakurai has hinted at our favorite purple space dragon multiple times.

-This is probably gonna sound very fanboyish but Ridley is the perfect villain. He's a evil purple space dragon . He has also been a cyborg. If you don't think a cyborg dragon is awesome. Get help.

All quotes from Lord Goomy on Miiverse.
Lord Goomy is a bamf.

Also, I found a pretty convincing size comparison on Miiverse too:

Much pretty. Such accurate.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Meanwhile on Miiverse...
I like how one person who is completely reasonable managed to sneak in here. And also that the only reasonable person when it comes to Ridley is Samus.
There's probably some irony in that.

wildvine47

Smash Ace
In all honesty I cheered late last night seeing today's pic. This is exactly what we Ridley supporters have been waiting for. Unadulterated Sakurai confirmation that size doesn't matter at all in Smash Bros. It won't make the TooBigots stop, but it'll make arguing against them that much easier.

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
Didn't intend on any resemblance to JJBA, but hey, JJBA is awesome (I have almost all volumes of Stardust Crusaders, only missing vol. 6. Problem is that sh*ts ridiculously overpriced on Amazon, and I prefer my copies fresh, not used)

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Gotta say, r/smashbros is pretty much a balanced combination between Ridley supporters and Too Bigots. Thing is, a lot of the users are way, way too accepting of Too Bigot arguments.

One of the guys I was arguing with this morning kept on talking about how "Ridley fans say he should be in because he's important, Ridley haters say he's too big, so both sides have valid points." Um, no they don't? Not only are those two statements comparing apples and oranges, but there is and will never be definitive proof that Ridley is inherently impossible to make playable. The most that can ever be proven is that a given developer, like Sakurai, doesn't view Ridley as a character that could or should be added.

I hate the phrase "both sides" in general, because it's such an easy window with which to let in false equivalence, but it's especially inapplicable here. Such an approach would be openly mocked in the real world, or at least you'd hope it would. "Opponents of pedophilia say that child-buggering should be a jailable offense, while NAMBLA members say they should be able to love boys in peace. BOTH SIDES ARE VALID, GUYS." "Some people believe that humans are humans, other people believe that humans are secretly alien mole people with lizard tendencies. BOTH SIDES ARE VALID!"

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well, who knew that a picture of a puppy could possibly foreshadow the appearance of a killer space dragon?

Then again, this is Smash Bros...

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Gotta say, r/smashbros is pretty much a balanced combination between Ridley supporters and Too Bigots. Thing is, a lot of the users are way, way too accepting of Too Bigot arguments.

One of the guys I was arguing with this morning kept on talking about how "Ridley fans say he should be in because he's important, Ridley haters say he's too big, so both sides have valid points." Um, no they don't? Not only are those two statements comparing apples and oranges, but there is and will never be definitive proof that Ridley is inherently impossible to make playable. The most that can ever be proven is that a given developer, like Sakurai, doesn't view Ridley as a character that could or should be added.

I hate the phrase "both sides" in general, because it's such an easy window with which to let in false equivalence, but it's especially inapplicable here. Such an approach would be openly mocked in the real world, or at least you'd hope it would. "Opponents of pedophilia say that child-buggering should be a jailable offense, while NAMBLA members say they should be able to love boys in peace. BOTH SIDES ARE VALID, GUYS." "Some people believe that humans are humans, other people believe that humans are secretly alien mole people with lizard tendencies. BOTH SIDES ARE VALID!"
Reddit in general has an odd Metroid community. A very good portion of them made their anti-Ridley posts when Mother Brain was confirmed as an AT, and instead wanted very minor characters like Rundas and Sylux in instead. Nope, didn't even see a mention of Dark Samus. On top of that, their Smash community is more about competitive Melee than anything else, so they aren't very knowledgeable in the speculation department at all.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Reddit in general has an odd Metroid community. A very good portion of them made their anti-Ridley posts when Mother Brain was confirmed as an AT, and instead wanted very minor characters like Rundas and Sylux in instead. Nope, didn't even see a mention of Dark Samus. On top of that, their Smash community is more about competitive Melee than anything else, so they aren't very knowledgeable in the speculation department at all.
There was one exchange in the Pic of the Day thread that I found rather hilarious.

Guy #1: *in response to "Can't wait for this to turn into a Ridley circlejerk" comment* This. There are other, more logical choices for characters to choose from than Ridley with Metroid, in question. The other bounty hunters or hell, even a common enemy like the Ing from Prime 2 Echoes would be cool.

Guy #2: You mean the characters that people on Nintendo forums can hardly remember the names of? Weird how everybody doesn't want them in instead of a character that is in almost every Metroid game.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
There was one exchange in the Pic of the Day thread that I found rather hilarious.

Guy #1: *in response to "Can't wait for this to turn into a Ridley circlejerk" comment* This. There are other, more logical choices for characters to choose from than Ridley with Metroid, in question. The other bounty hunters or hell, even a common enemy like the Ing from Prime 2 Echoes would be cool.

Guy #2: You mean the characters that people on Nintendo forums can hardly remember the names of? Weird how everybody doesn't want them in instead of a character that is in almost every Metroid game.
There are more people like Guy #1 than there needs to be. The Hunters are such minor characters to Metroid, the franchise wouldn't have been any different today if they never existed. Then there's sadly also the guys who believe in standard enemies like the Ing or a regular Space Pirate. The last one really gnaws at my bones, why would you want a regular Space Pirate when you can get their leader? It's like wanting a Koopa over Bowser.

It's a good thing we have people like Guy #2 around.

Last edited:

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Oh definitely. Even the Other M Ridley official concept art doesn't look that bad by any means. Frankly, the final product hardly resembles the concept and looks like a hot mess that got approved anyway for some odd reason.

Top Bottom