• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Ridley should at least have some agility in order to actually take advantage of his power.

If there is one problem I have with grapplers in general in Super Smash Bros. series is that there seems to be weird mentality that you must have only power and have all of the attributes suck. Which is actually bad mentality because you at least need one or two options to take advantage of the power, otherwise the character will be dead weight.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Also, would be good if Ridley had hitboxes in his tail like Mewtwo? considering that Ridley's tail is longer it could be a problem.
They could do it like in Other M, where Ridley's tail isn't terribly long in a standard pose, but it extents a lot when he uses it to attack.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I'd say that's better.
Smash doesn't have a "true" grappler yet.

If only someone would join the roster and pose for the fans cover that archetype....:p

Though that's a little off-topic for Ridley, unless Sakurai gave him the grappler archetype. Which I wouldn't oppose given Ridley LOVES to get grabby.....

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I think it was more of a joke. However, there are some Ridley fights where you have to wait for him to open his big mouth to be able to hurt him.
Mainly during the Meta/Omega Ridley fights. In the Prime games though his chest is the main weak point, whereas shots to the mouth merely stun him (barring the LOTR style fight with Meta-Ridley near the beginning of MP3).

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ridley could work as a grappler.

That actually coincides with my idea for his Side B.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Given that Ridley's big entrance in SSE was to grab Samus and run her across a wall like a piece of cheese on a grater, that could work.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
See, that's why I asked if anyone imagined him with a Command Grab. I'd like to see Ridley have some really powerful air attacks, he does tend to stay in the air in a lot of fights. Not to say he should be garbage on land or anything. But I guess being mostly aerial and a heavy hitter might not mesh too well. Maybe it won't be a big deal if he's still overall slow. But he'd likely have to be one or the other.

If that's the case, I'd go for physical power. Aerial characters are better off as lightweights.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Man, Smashboards really likes to not let me know this thread has updated. This thread specifically. -_-

If we wanted Ridley to stay true to how he is in the Metroid games, he'd be decently quick. Now he'd also be one of the largest characters in the game, and when you put those two things together it automatically makes a playstyle we've never had before. Balancing would be interesting. I've always liked the idea of him being a very aerial character and not great on the ground. In addition, perhaps he could be lighter than you'd think--frankly, if he can fly (especially with those tiny wings), he's gotta have some pretty lightweight bones.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Man, Smashboards really likes to not let me know this thread has updated. This thread specifically. -_-

If we wanted Ridley to stay true to how he is in the Metroid games, he'd be decently quick. Now he'd also be one of the largest characters in the game, and when you put those two things together it automatically makes a playstyle we've never had before. Balancing would be interesting. I've always liked the idea of him being a very aerial character and not great on the ground. In addition, perhaps he could be lighter than you'd think--frankly, if he can fly (especially with those tiny wings), he's gotta have some pretty lightweight bones.

Not to mention how skinny most of his incarnations are. But are you sure a large, yet quick character would be done in Smash? It's hardly ever done in any fighting game franchises. And the reason is that it gives these characters good range and speed, making it really easy to rushdown the opponent.

I think that's why smaller characters are fast, their smaller limbs complement their speed in a way that keep them balanced. Then you have larger characters, they can get in pokes on the opponent without much work, but are slow as a means to keep balance.

So I think that you'd have to choose between speed and size.

The only way I can see both being able to coexist is that Ridley would have really low damage output, which might work in the eyes of some.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Not to mention how skinny most of his incarnations are. But are you sure a large, yet quick character would be done in Smash? It's hardly ever done in any fighting game franchises. And the reason is that it gives these characters good range and speed, making it really easy to rushdown the opponent.

I think that's why smaller characters are fast, their smaller limbs complement their speed in a way that keep them balanced. Then you have larger characters, they can get in pokes on the opponent without much work, but are slow as a means to keep balance.

So I think that you'd have to choose between speed and size.

The only way I can see both being able to coexist is that Ridley would have really low damage output, which might work in the eyes of some.
I'm just saying it's an interesting thought. Honestly I don't care if he's fast or slow as long as he's playable, but the concept is interesting to me.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm just saying it's an interesting thought. Honestly I don't care if he's fast or slow as long as he's playable, but the concept is interesting to me.

Fair enough point, I guess. It is interesting, since it is so rare in a fighting game.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
What do you think about the idea of Ridley being fast, but being incredibly akward to control to do so?

What about the only fast things he has is a glide (that has a slow startup, and gradually gets faster), and the pogo tail?

Also, can we get some examples of fast + large characters in a balanced fighting game?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
What do you think about the idea of Ridley being fast, but being incredibly akward to control to do so?

What about the only fast things he has is a glide (that has a slow startup, and gradually gets faster), and the pogo tail?

Also, can we get some examples of fast + large characters in a balanced fighting game?

A fast glide would be cool. Same with the Pogo tail being fast too.

Eh, the only one I can kind of think of is Nightmare from Soul Calibur. He's a powerhouse character, but has some decent speed on him. Granted most of his largeness comes from Soul Edge and his Demon arm.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
I could easily see a fast Ridley with weak-medium attack power except for some of his moves, while given an explanation such as :
"He likes to toy with his foes before finishing them off with devasting moves, no one should ever be considered a threat by the mighty space pirates".

Or in Ridley's words :
"Kill as much as you want! Have fun!".

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Ridley being pretty fast in the air and somewhat clumsy on the ground would work really well for me. Maybe it's because DK and Bowser are my mains and my brother is such a good Dedede user I always viewed Dedede as a fast heavy. In the air anyway. He doesn't jump fast or too high but hie mid air attacks do strike pretty quickly in my eyes and I'd be cool with Ridley moving at a speed similar to that.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Okay, so I didn't intend for this post to be this long, but it happened so I may as well share it.

Firstly, he would have an amazing aerial game. 3/5 are quick, one is a damage builder (i.e. Mario Dair in Melee and Lucas' Nair), and one has a longer buildup for the stinger, generally that'd be his kill move. If he can get them into the air, opponents would be in for a lot of damage buildup. His issue would be HOW to get his opponents in the air.This would mean pretty weak ground attacks with poor knockback, maybe one of his smash attacks are good for KOs while the rest are for spacing. I guess he could have his up tilt and down tilt (i'm thinking tail swipe) to get them into the air, and his side tilt would be for spacing. Because he's large, he would be an easy target to gimp and spike. Perhaps to also account for the amazing air game, godly reach and size he would have a lot of lag from grabs (similar to Lucas) and (unfortunately) he'd have a crappy grab himself. I guess one of his grabs would also help get his opponents in the air to make up for it being laggy.

Don't ask me about specific Special moves because I am not as familiar with his canon as the rest of you. I guess he could get in a weak projectile for his neutral b to assist in surviving on the ground. His recovery wouldn't be glorious; maybe just a vertical path with invincibility so he can actually make it back. If he had a command grab (aerial too) then it would have to be high risk high reward. I make this sound very bad for him, but it's alot to account for so I hope you understand why I make him sound like a crappy character. I just don't want another MK. And when you think about it he isn't all that bad, it's just he is such an extreme character to implement that such extreme sides of the spectrum are presented (i.e. Mario is all around while Ridley is sex in the air and lackluster on the ground).

I really hope they give us Ridley. They could totally make him work ... just maybe have to find the perfect compromise in size. NOT saying he's too big, just that they model him so that he LOOKS big but isn't at the same time. It's like the idea of having a set amount of food on your plate. If the plate is smaller, it looks as if you have more, while if you have a too big plate, it looks like a smaller meal. They'd need to work out good models so they don't clip through stages (I imagine the wings would be the guiltiest party for that).

Note that if he was in the game, to balance the game as a whole, he would be one extreme side of the spectrum, or the stats list lets say. I'm not saying that the rest of the roster would be weakened, just some characters will need to be balanced in other ways so Ridley would not be dominated on ground AND air. Ofcourse this is smash we're talking about so I guess this is just an aside.

So, refer to this if anyone says he wouldn't be able to be playable without being true to his character.
This is my first post in here, I have made a roster without Ridley on it not because I don't want him, but because I fear Sakurai won't put the time in for him, which is sad.

(I write this after my description; as a Lucas main, this description kind of reminds me of him in a few aspects)

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Not that anyone's heard of it, but I think there's a lot Ridley can borrow from Utsuho's playstyle in Touhou 12.3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXgjAlqITls

Basically, she's a larger character with a lot of range and power. Her attacks are slow to start up and easy to punish, but come out pretty quickly. Although I can't find a video with it, there's a move that lets her rocket through the whole length of the stage faster then almost any other character despite her overall sluggishness. Moves like that seem like they would fit well for Smash Ridley.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Ridley would be slow on the ground but fast in the air. His back aerial would be amazing due to his tail. Like others have said, Ridley's size would be his greatest weakness, making him an easy target. Luckily he great range and good movement in the air, however once he's on the ground he's more vulnerable due to his movement being slower.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I can't even say anything negative about the thought because I want it to be true just to spite all the idiots on Miiverse preaching that Yellow Devil entering the stage from the background confirms Ridley as a hazard.

On that note, in yesterday's pic, further behind Yellow Devil, in the clouds.

D

Deleted member

Tomorrow, we will see a trailer where Samus, DK, Mario, and Bowser are all on Pyrosphere. Suddenly, a looming shadow appears over them. They turn to look. Samus is frozen in place. DK and Mario look afraid. Bowser has a look on disbelief on his face. You see a figure of a dragon in the blinding light of the lava behind it. It moves forward. It slowly disfigures into that of a hunched elderly simian.

Cranky Kong Still Has It!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Character reveal a la Luigi's is still possible though.

So Ridley will SURELY appear!

Top Bottom