• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Kamiko

Smash Ace
On the eighth day of Christmas, Nintendo gave to me.... 8 crates of phazon,
7 Sidehoppers hopping,
6 baby metroids,
A Nintendo Land with two puppet robot Miis, . . . ?!?!?! What this part is all messed up.
4 zoomers crawling,
3 different beam types,
2 missile tanks,
And a hunter in a pear tree!

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
On the ninth day of Christmas, Nintendo gave to me...
9 cans of Zebesian acid,
8 crates of phazon,
7 Sidehoppers hopping,
6 baby Metroids,
A Nintendo Land with two puppet robot Miis... wait wha-
4 Zoomers crawling,
3 different beam types,
2 missile tanks
And a hunter in a pear tree!

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Some people just want the world to burn, Metroid to be removed as a series, and to see Waluigi and 10 additional Mother characters.
Aint that.....

somerealtalk.jpg

PS: Anything new? Been some time....

Ugh.....seeing Skull Kid was sooo deep.....but ugh....Assist Trophy....damn those brawl hacks when he drops the moon on his enemies as his Final Smash.........too deep for words.........

@SchAlternate - Did someone say Phazon? Hehehehe

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
On the tenth day of Christmas, Nintendo gave to me:

Ten Omega Pirates,
nine cans of Zebesian acid,
eight crates of Phazon,
seven Sidehoppers hopping,
six baby Metroids,
five big retcons, (see what I did there :awesome: )
four Zoomers crawling,
three different beam types,
two missile tanks,
and a Hunter in a pear tree!

D

Deleted member

On the eleventh day of Christmas, Nintendo gave to me:
Eleven Little Birdies
Ten Omega Pirates
Nine cans of Zebesian acid
Eight crates of Phazon
Seven Sidehoppers hopping
Six baby Metroids
FIIIIIIIIVE BIIIIIIIIIG RETCONNNNNS!!!!
Four Zoomers crawling
Three different beam types
Two missile tanks
and a Hunter in a pear tree!

EDIT: I forgot to put Ten; I can't count for jack. :laugh:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
In a Ridley Too Big debate on Miiverse.

DOING WORK!

IT'S ACTUALLY SUCCEEDING!

Groose

Smash Champion
Down here in Philly, we had a snowstorm that lasted about three days with a few brief breaks. I went outside a couple of times to watch the snow fall. It's such a nice, relaxing thing to do, you know? The snow gently falling from the sky... quiet, absolute quiet. So I'm sitting on a bench, just looking up at the clouds, watching the snow fall from the heaven.

I could see Ridley in the clouds.

Lostimos

Smash Rookie
Down here in Philly, we had a snowstorm that lasted about three days with a few brief breaks. I went outside a couple of times to watch the snow fall. It's such a nice, relaxing thing to do, you know? The snow gently falling from the sky... quiet, absolute quiet. So I'm sitting on a bench, just looking up at the clouds, watching the snow fall from the heaven.

Snow whats snow? Also seeing Ridley in the clouds must have been a sign!

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

Lucky you. I didn't have so much snow, but just ice that made going out anywhere too dangerous for awhile.

On the twelfth day of Christmas Nintendo gave to...

Nah I'll do more of that later.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I'll do it then

On the twelfth day of Christmas, Nintendo gave to me:
Twelve Ridley pictures on Smash bros website (BEST PRESENT EVA!)
Eleven Little Birdies
Ten Omega Pirates
Eight crates of Phazon
Six baby Metroids
Four Zoomers crawling
Two missile tanks
and a Hunter in a pear tree.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
I hope I did that well:

On the twelfth day of Christmas, Nintendo gave to me:
Thirteen Krikens
Twelve Ridley pictures on Smash bros website
Eleven Little Birdies
Ten Omega Pirates
Eight crates of Phazon
Six baby Metroids
Four Zoomers crawling
Two missile tanks
and a Hunter in a pear tree.

.n_n.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I'm not sure if I'm the only one who thinks this, but one of the reasons why I like Ridley so much as a Metroid villain is, ironically enough given the Smash Bros. "debates" over his inclusion, because how small he is compared to the other bosses. He felt like such a breath of fresh air after battling hulking fifty foot tall monstrosities.

True, he got enormous at some points in the series like Metroid Prime 3 Corruption in the beginning, but remember that before Dark Samus's debut, he was supposed to be the smallest major boss character! In Super Metroid, he was only just slightly taller than the Torizo! As someone who grew up playing Super Metroid all the time, I was amazed to find out how inexplicably huge Ridley was in Brawl, when I remembered him to be only somewhat larger than Samus.

So now if Ridley is going to be a playable character, he's going to stand out as one of the largest playable characters? The poor guy just can't blend in anywhere.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm not sure if I'm the only one who thinks this, but one of the reasons why I like Ridley so much as a Metroid villain is, ironically enough given the Smash Bros. "debates" over his inclusion, because how small he is compared to the other bosses. He felt like such a breath of fresh air after battling hulking fifty foot tall monstrosities.

True, he got enormous at some points in the series like Metroid Prime 3 Corruption in the beginning, but remember that before Dark Samus's debut, he was supposed to be the smallest major boss character! In Super Metroid, he was only just slightly taller than the Torizo! As someone who grew up playing Super Metroid all the time, I was amazed to find out how inexplicably huge Ridley was in Brawl, when I remembered him to be only somewhat larger than Samus.

So now if Ridley is going to be a playable character, he's going to stand out as one of the largest playable characters? The poor guy just can't blend in anywhere.

Why can I only like this once?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Yeah, snowstorms really suck.

Anyways, does anyone else picture Ridley with a Command Grab? I don't know why, I can see one of his special moves being a Command Grab. Like his Side B, where he'd dash at the opponent, grab them, and then slam them down. Could be a good mid-air finisher.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am sorry to say but I just don't see Sakurai being capable of making Ridley work. I have nothing against Ridley, and think he'd be cool if he made it, just am not seeing it happen...

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Am sorry to say but I just don't see Sakurai being capable of making Ridley work. I have nothing against Ridley, and think he'd be cool if he made it, just am not seeing it happen...
The fact that you continuously come here and make posts like these makes it hard to believe the last statement, especially since you've been spotted bashing him in the K. Rool thread too.

And Sakurai has been capable of making a character like Pokémon Trainer. Ridley is far from as hard to make as a 3 in 1 character (including Charizard who is very comparable to Ridley) or a duo character. Only thing that might be challenging with Ridley is proportions, and that's far from impossible.

Keeshu

Smash Ace

I never thought of Ridley as big because of that. I only noticed how big he and other enemies are when coming to these boards. Even then I kinda already knew because it's a common thing for enemies to be bigger than the character you play, since it makes it easier to hit the enemy and makes them more intimidating. You'd be surprised how often large characters have been scaled down to be playable, and no one notices because they love the character so much (or want to beat it up).

So no, you're not the only one who thinks that. To me, Ridley was always the fast+intimidating boss.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
That's also one of the reasons I need to call bull**** on the people who think that his size is a big part of Ridley's character. Ridley is clearly one of the smaller Metroid bosses and rarely ever depends on his size, if you want someone who thrives only on size you gotta look at Kraid.

D

Deleted member

The idea that Ridley was the "fast" boss as you stated Keeshu is probably why Sakurai said what he had said; Ridley would likely be unbalanced if fast, so he has to be "a little slow".

In essence, that would be the effort in making him work; keeping him true to what he's known for as much as possible without making him unbalanced.
Nothing to do with size, but rather his statistics; speed, strength, flight capability, etc. One wrong move, and Ridley is a Meta Knight that's even harder to kill.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The idea that Ridley was the "fast" boss as you stated Keeshu is probably why Sakurai said what he had said; Ridley would likely be unbalanced if fast, so he has to be "a little slow".

In essence, that would be the effort in making him work; keeping him true to what he's known for as much as possible without making him unbalanced.
Nothing to do with size, but rather his statistics; speed, strength, flight capability, etc. One wrong move, and Ridley is a Meta Knight that's even harder to kill.

Now that's an argument I can take seriously. I can think of several fixes that could make him fast but still balanced.

1. Make him lighter than he looks: It's common knowledge that pterodactyls had hollow bones so it stand to reaso Ridley would be lighter than his frame suggests.
2. Make his fast movement dependent on a special attack:
3. Multiple jumps, crap air speed: Kinda what they did with Dedede.
4. Slow ground speed: When Ridley is on his feet in teh games he seems to move slowly until he pounces.

Keeshu

Smash Ace

One wrong move can make any character OP. It's something that happens when you include/change a character (or even just a gameplay mechanic).

It doesn't take that much imagination to make Ridley big+fast, but at the same time make him totally underpowered, should be easy to make him balanced. It just requires a little imagination. There are always ways to balance things.
With that said, I wouldn't be complaining if Ridley was a bit slow, since there are some other characters in smash that kind of go away from what they are usually like. I just want Ridley in.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Ridley should take double damage if an attack lands in his mouth. :awesome:

To me that seriously sounds like the kind of bull**** way Sakurai thinks of balancing, lol.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Ridley should take double damage if an attack lands in his mouth. :awesome:

To me that seriously sounds like the kind of bull**** way Sakurai thinks of balancing, lol.
Inb4, the mechanics of being able to use powerful projectiles, you must leave your mouth open longer (but cannot hold onto projectiles like samus/mewtwo). High risk, high reward. :p

Top Bottom