• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

majora_787

Smash Hero
I assume Pragu, or alternatively home-made pasta sauce made from incompetent space pirates and unused creatures they have violently domesticated.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Is Little Birdy even that little.

Little Birdy shown here with IsmaR's other two Pokemon. Samus, Trainer, and Pikachu just because.

EDIT: Actually you need one more Pokemon on here, IsmaR, and I need to know your height.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Metroid is kinda irrelevant.
You're right. Metroid Prime 1-3 along with Xenoblade Chronicles are the only drop dead classic games Nintendo has produced on a home console since the Wind Waker. Therefore, since Nintendo hates good things, it is irrelevant.
Similarly to how star fox is after command (note command came out after brawl) both have horribly butchered story lines now, the extra slot could easilu go to a series that is gaining popularity such as fire emblem. Or a new character that was in a recent game.
Are you talking about Other M=??? Because that was just 1 game made by a crappy studio lead by a bunch of sexists who can't do anything right, hence why they'll probably be bankrupt and closed by the end of the 8th generation of gaming.

That was yet another botched Nintendo idea, or as I call it, the norm for the Wii.
I've seen plenty of people come in here just to discuss a point and you guys seem to get super defensive though, but this thread does get trolled pretty hard so I guess I can understand why some people feel the need to get angry at someone else's opinions.
>Says we don't embrace debate.
>>Pulls out the size argument and pretends it is a real debate.
Is it me, or has the size arguments become highly irrelevant and absurd!? Complain all you want, but the fact is, Sakurai can always find a way to make Ridley work out as a playable character.
Only idiots ever used that argument.

To quote the Project M Clone Engine character addition (voting) thread's original post/character voting entry...
Ridley

Cons
-Some people still think he's too big, which is ********.
In other words, everyone is laughing at you guys who say size is an issue, well, other than your private undersized keepings. :rolleyes:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
You're right. Metroid Prime 1-3 along with Xenoblade Chronicles are the only drop dead classic games Nintendo has produced on a home console since the Wind Waker. Therefore, since Nintendo hates good things, it is irrelevant.
What planet are you from?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
What planet are you from?
The planet where Twilight Princess had no replay value and nothing to do but collect things in the overworld for no apparent reason, Skyward Sword was pretty repetitive and had some awful design/layout/mapping decisions, Galaxy 1 and 2 had no replay value, Mario Party is still rather unmemorable, Wii Sports Resort was good but not a classic by any means, Animal Crossing: City Folk felt inferior to Wild World (and New Leaf), Brawl was produced primarily by Game Arts (along with 8 or 9 other studios), Pokémon Revolution sucked, and DKC Returns wasn't quite a classic (and the 3DS version was vastly superior anyways; that awful Wii control scheme).

Oh, and the Wii didn't get any

Although, to be fair, I was ignoring the Wii Ware, which had quite a few great titles.

Oh, and The Last Story. I still need to play that game (and Xenoblade Chronicles, and Pandora's Tower).

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Those are your tastes then. I live on a planet where Donkey Kong Country Returns was godly!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Oh, and The Last Story. I still need to play that game (and Xenoblade Chronicles, and Pandora's Tower).
Wait...

John, you haven't played Xenoblade?

Then why are you praising it so much?

Play the game first.

And THEN praise it to high heaven.

Also... I love the Wii... So many great games... To each his own I guess....

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Wait...
John, you haven't played Xenoblade?
Then why are you praising it so much?
Play the game first.
And THEN praise it to high heaven.
Also... I love the Wii... So many great games... To each his own I guess....
I've seen several LP's of it and I've gone to friend's pads where they played it, and yes, I have played it technically, but playing 20 minutes of it at a friend's house amounts to nothing to me basically.

As for the game, I'm not going to drop $90 for it new (yes, that's what it costs) from my local Game Stop. I don't have that kind of expendable assets, especially when I can get several other classic games for much cheaper on sales coming up here soon.

That and my back catalog of games is ridiculous. I've got at least 3 dozen games on it. Oh, and that list includes some mammoth games!

Back even 5 years ago I never had a game I never beat (sans Devil May Cry 2!), :laugh: but now thanks to the internet making games super cheap and giving us so much content for games (both digitally and at retail), I can and have bought 10 great games for what 1 consoled game used to cost.

And lastly, as for the Wii, noticed I said Nintendo made games. A lot of the best games (World of Goo, No More Heroes 1+2, MadWorld) weren't made by Nintendo on the Wii. Sadly, the atypical Nintendo crowd will look over these gems. I would at least consider World of Goo a "classic" video game.
Those are your tastes then. I live on a planet where Donkey Kong Country Returns was godly!
DKC Returns was just short of a classic for me. The controls made it frustrating, however. If I ever get a 3DS, though, I'm getting DKC Returns 3DS. That game was incredible. It was definitely worthy of the DKC name, no question about it.

As for my standards of "classic", they're pretty high. I don't get all willy-nilly about it. I'm not IGN! :laugh:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Personally I love replaying Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess.

Although I must say Skyward Sword could've done a lot better when it comes to overworld exploration. There were hardly any hidden locations on the surface areas, in dungeons, there aren't even that many islands in the Sky, and there are no hidden grottos or caves whatsoever.

Back on the topic of Ridley, I'd like his palette swaps to be based on the colors of the space pirates from Super Metroid. (green, red, pink, yellow and silver)

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
The planet where Twilight Princess had no replay value and nothing to do but collect things in the overworld for no apparent reason, Skyward Sword was pretty repetitive and had some awful design/layout/mapping decisions, Galaxy 1 and 2 had no replay value, Mario Party is still rather unmemorable, Wii Sports Resort was good but not a classic by any means, Animal Crossing: City Folk felt inferior to Wild World (and New Leaf), Brawl was produced primarily by Game Arts (along with 8 or 9 other studios), Pokémon Revolution sucked, and DKC Returns wasn't quite a classic (and the 3DS version was vastly superior anyways; that awful Wii control scheme).

Oh, and the Wii didn't get any

Although, to be fair, I was ignoring the Wii Ware, which had quite a few great titles.

Speak for yourself. I've played through Galaxy 1 and 2 a few times each, I thought Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword were both great and I still go back and blast through DKC Returns from time to time. I think the Wii had plenty of stone cold classics.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Is this guy a troll or just have really bad taste? hmm

Well obviously Ridley is too big to fit in his net, deconfirmed :c

Keeshu

Smash Ace
I'm just wondering how Villager's net would work when he's using the Mini mushroom and his enemies are using Super Mushrooms. I assume you can still grab people like that, like you could in melee.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I'm just wondering how Villager's net would work when he's using the Mini mushroom and his enemies are using Super Mushrooms.
Because it is Smash Brothers and it is unrealistic as crap, and nothing in it is realistic.

I could make a list of almost a thousand things in Smash Brothers that are unrealistic.

Seriously, the most realistic playable character we have in Smash Brothers is a clone. A. Clone!

And yet, morons still bring up "Ridley is too big".

This kind of idiocy makes me hope such people never have children.

?????????????

Smash Master
The difference is, that the Net still shows the character model, whereas the enemy just dissappears when entering kirby/dedede's mouth. I would assume the Net expands/shrinks to properly fit each character.
Yeah, but it probably won't be anything fancy. Like the egg size of Yoshi eating a character.

I mean, just going off the Pic of the Day, the net looks pretty large. And round. Especially if he's holding Link in a crouched position like that.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
With all the hubub of Rosalina in Mario 3d World I nalmost for got the other most arguing-ist place in Smashboards.

I guess today's topic is whether the villager will need the gold net to grab Ridley?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
If Ridley's not playable again I guess it was because Sakurai figured the sharp tail and pointy wings would automatically break the net which would be unfair. :troll:

But really, if Yoshi can contain characters of all sizes in one of his eggs for a few seconds, then I know the same holds true for the Villager's net.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Should Ridley grab with his mouth like Yoshi? Or just use his hands like everyone else? Either one, I can see his pummel have him just gnaw the crap out of an opponent.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
They'd have to cartoonize Ridley quite a lot to make him put people in his mouth like Yoshi, since his mouth looks like it's not flexible in the slightest. Yes he has a very big head, but it's mostly just really long, it's not really wide enough to hide a body. Possibly he could grab enemies with his mouth by tilting his head sideways.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
It'd have to be the stretchy tail grab for that to work probably, considering he does that in the 2D games that might not be a problem. Unless he's going to go around impaling his enemies. Which I'd love to see on some of the more "innocent" character just because it amuses me, but I don't think they'd add that in smash.
Gotta take into consideration when mini+super mushrooms are involved. :)

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I wish I had some of those silly screenshots as an example, but Wario is actually a better example than Yoshi or Kirby regarding the net thing. Wario has even more to worry about than the net, since his head is a static size (well it doesn't have to be I guess, but they chose for it to be). Anyway, when Wario bites someone, the opponent's model deforms in strange ways to make them fit. Mostly just the arms and head since the rest of the body has to remain visible (similar to the net).

As for mushrooms and how to grab people effected by them, y'know sometimes you just CAN'T grab them. That's already a thing so what is there to worry about.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I wish I had some of those silly screenshots as an example, but Wario is actually a better example than Yoshi or Kirby regarding the net thing. Wario has even more to worry about than the net, since his head is a static size (well it doesn't have to be I guess, but they chose for it to be). Anyway, when Wario bites someone, the opponent's model deforms in strange ways to make them fit. Mostly just the arms and head since the rest of the body has to remain visible (similar to the net).

As for mushrooms and how to grab people effected by them, y'know sometimes you just CAN'T grab them. That's already a thing so what is there to worry about.
So what you're saying is ridley would be immune to grabs

Top Bottom