• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
It's not magic (or not always). He's alluding to the Big/Giant Bowser ability from Bowser's Inside Story.

I think he was talking about all the times he become giant really, is kinda his signature in mario games.

Olimar is always small. So are Kirby characters, Pokemon (even Charizard is a measly 5'07") and R.O.B.
Meanwhile Ganondorf, who is always huge, has only been playable in Smash and has literally nothing else to go off of yet is just fine.

So? ridley is always double samus height or more since super metroid, he is supposed to be always huge in comparison.
Charizard is a good example but is different, his size is not a priority of the character and there are charizards with different sizes, but i would love if they make him bigger this time.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Sure Bowser shrinks and grows in his games, but what about Charizard and Pikachu? Do they shrink and grow in their games? No? Then explain this.

Yeah I'll keep posting this picture every time a size argument gets brought up. I'd love to hear someone counterargue this.

Anything else I can help you with today mate? ^^

As far as Ganondorf is concerned, take a look:

If they were next to eachother it would look pretty much like this:

They changed his appearance from OoT to Twilight Princess but kept the size accurate to Ocarina of time. So no, in the Smash Bros universe Ganondorf's size is accurate. In both Smash games he's a head taller than Link just about.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Here is pic, I can imagine something like this.

.n_n.
How about this?

btw folks, one thing to be noticed is sakurai never really say something against ganondorf size in TP, charizard, bowser or whatever you want to believe... but he did say it against ridley, because he know is important for the chracter being big, and all those examples really means nothing and you know why? because ridley is too big damnit, melee ridley was big, brawl ridley is big, AND HE NEEDS TO BE BIG IN SMASH4!!!!! ♥

majora_787

Smash Hero
You know I wonder.

Sakurai made an official statement that Ridley was really big, and that it would be difficult but possible to make him playable if he tried to. But wasn't this around the same timeframe when it was said Villager could never work because he just didn't fit in the Smash Bros. universe, and never fought in his own games?

?????????????

Smash Master
Sakurai's Quote on Ridley:

"I think that would probably be impossible. If we had put our best efforts into it, we may have been able to do it. But he might have been a little slow. Would that have been all right?"

Regards NOTHING on Ridley's size. Absolutely nothing.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
btw folks, one thing to be noticed is sakurai never really say something against ganondorf size in TP, charizard, bowser or whatever you want to believe... but he did say it against ridley, because he know is important for the chracter being big, and all those examples really means nothing and you know why? because ridley is too big damnit, melee ridley was big, brawl ridley is big, AND HE NEEDS TO BE BIG IN SMASH4!!!!! ♥
You dun goofed. Firstly, Sakurai has never commented his size. Every time Sakurai has talked about Ridley, which is 5 times iirc (Brawl Dojo: Boss entries, Norfair stage, VS Ridley music. "He'd have to be a little slow" and "An enemy from Samus past..."), he has never once mentioned his size. So you're just plain wrong on that one. Another thing you're dead wrong on is Melee Ridley being big, which he certainly isn't, bigger than Samus yes, but not big, and certainly not too big.

Furthermore, size is really not important to Ridley, either you haven't played Metroid games then, you haven't watched how Ridley fights, or you haven't read up on your history around him. Nothing that Ridley ever does or has done has been dependant on size, it's not even a remarkable part of his character. Kraid is dependant on size, that's his appeal, that's when size matter, when it's a primary function for the character or there isn't any other appeal. For Ridley, it doesn't matter. Ridley is the intelligent leader of the Space Pirates, and the one who killed Samus' parents, thus setting the story of Metroid in motion and also becoming Samus' arch nemesis. Furthermore, what's important for him in terms of fighting is that he is a cunning character who usually strikes seemingly from nowhere (note: Sakurai's comment), his primary weapons being his tail and his fiery breath. Sure he has grabbed Samus a couple of times, but that's where the importance of his size ends. Can you mention any other time other than when he grabs Samus that being humongous is important to his character? No, you can't.

I can stand for opinions, but I can't stand for someone not telling the truth. Research your stuff or don't speak up. Bowser is more dependant on being big, but he is still tiny in Smash Bros. Olimar is way more dependant on his size than any other character in Smash Bros, yet he's taller than Kirby. So if you only like Ridley because he's a big dragon, go herald for Deathwing or Alduin for Smash, because those two are dependant on size, Ridley isn't.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
How about this?

No one is saying Ridley needs to be small. Of course he needs to be bigger than Samus. But a teeny bit bigger than Bowser is a fairly good estimate if you ask me.

Again, they're all toys.

Anything else I can help you with today mate? ^^

As far as Ganondorf is concerned, take a look:

If they were next to eachother it would look pretty much like this:

They changed his appearance from OoT to Twilight Princess but kept the size accurate to Ocarina of time. So no, in the Smash Bros universe Ganondorf's size is accurate. In both Smash games he's a head taller than Link just about.
Uh, no.

If that's the case, then why not take Ridley's size from the Melee intro, or from the original Metroid? Let's just use that size but change the model. Being the same size in Smash Bros. doesn't really matter.

I'll break this up step by step.

1) By looking at these sizes, Ganondorf changes size between Zelda games. Regardless of what he looks like in Smash, he is almost TWICE THE SIZE of Link in Twilight Princess. Therefore, it we're going by canon size, Ganondorf should have been twice as tall as Link, making him the tallest in the game.

2) Now look at Ridley. He's big in Metroid games, no one is disputing that. But what you're saying is, that because he's big, there is no way to make him smaller and work, even though Ganondorf had the EXACT SAME THING done to him?

3) Ok. Maybe Ridley has a strange body, but it's definitely workable. Make him roughly the size of Bowser's height in Smash 4, and the width of Charizard in Brawl. He would essentially be the largest character in the game, while being a decent size nonetheless. His body isn't nearly as bony now with theh Other M model, so the neck could be similar to Charizard. Fold his wings up besides when gliding, and have him curl his tail, there you go. He's condensed and smaller while making sense.

?????????????

Smash Master
To me, the size argument is just incredibly strange. Why does anybody ever even consider it in a game where plenty of characters and objects have already OBVIOUSLY been changed from their "regular" size?

What makes it even stranger for Ridley is:

a.) As Wariofan1 has so elegantly laid out, a size change does nothing to hinder Ridley's character because Ridley's character IS NOT dependent on his size.

b.) We have already seen Ridley not only resized, but at reasonable sizes.

Now, if you want to quote Sakurai, size is not even on the dude's mind. He says that Ridley might have to be slowed down.

Now honestly, I don't see how that's any real issue either. Yes, Ridley is fast, but he has never been faster than Sonic the Hedgehog.

What the bigger issue here, though, is that this is the same exact scenario with ANY boss that's become playable, like Bowser and Ganondorf.

Example? Both Bowser and Ganondorf have shown the ability to jump much higher than Mario or Link respectively, yet in SSB, their jumping ability is crap.

What's the difference?

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
You dun goofed. Firstly, Sakurai has never commented his size. Every time Sakurai has talked about Ridley, which is 5 times iirc (Brawl Dojo: Boss entries, Norfair stage, VS Ridley music. "He'd have to be a little slow" and "An enemy from Samus past..."), he has never once mentioned his size. So you're just plain wrong on that one.
After some minutes of google i guess you are right, sorry.

Another thing you're dead wrong on is Melee Ridley being big, which he certainly isn't, bigger than Samus yes, but not big, and certainly not too big.
No im not, and yes he is "wrong on melee ridley being big... bigger than samus yes, but not big" what? thats what im saying xD im not thinking in the huge ridley X from fusion, just super metroid size is enough, and he was close to that scale.

either you haven't played Metroid games then, you haven't watched how Ridley fights, or you haven't read up on your history around him.
I read the manga, played the games, read all the info and study his artworks, sprites and models... he is big, not giant like kraid, but still big compared to samus, and he is always portrayed like that. That cool image with ridley and the adorable young samus is just legendary for me...

Sure he has grabbed Samus a couple of times, but that's where the importance of his size ends.
Im not following you there...you say is important but then you just dont care?
Ridley grabing samus and flying with her like a doll is a signature move, he always does that and they even make an animation about it in brawl.
Grab, fire balls, the tail pogo stick and stationary fly... those are ridley main moves and you cant just skip one and say is not relevant, of course it is.

I can stand for opinions, but I can't stand for someone not telling the truth. Research your stuff or don't speak up. Bowser is more dependant on being big, but he is still tiny in Smash Bros. Olimar is way more dependant on his size than any other character in Smash Bros, yet he's taller than Kirby. So if you only like Ridley because he's a big dragon, go herald for Deathwing or Alduin for Smash, because those two are dependant on size, Ridley isn't.

I like ridley because he can expand meta game and character inclusions, if size truly doesnt matter and we can have a big foe runing and flying around then we can pretty much have everybody in the game, dont you think so?

Still, what i said is true, it doesnt matter how characters of different universe interact in smash, the only thing that matter is how characters of the same universe interact, because thats how they represent the saga they came from.

With that said, i use the "ridley too big" as a joke, i dont see how being double samus size is too much, i really think doshin the giant could be an interesting idea but is too early for think in that.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
After some minutes of google i guess you are right, sorry.

No im not, and yes he is "wrong on melee ridley being big... bigger than samus yes, but not big" what? thats what im saying xD im not thinking in the huge ridley X from fusion, just super metroid size is enough, and he was close to that scale.

I read the manga, played the games, read all the info and study his artworks, sprites and models... he is big, not giant like kraid, but still big compared to samus, and he is always portrayed like that. That cool image with ridley and the adorable young samus is just legendary for me...

Ridley grabing samus and flying with her like a doll is a signature move, he always does that and they even make an animation about it in brawl.
Grab, fire balls, the tail pogo stick and stationary fly... those are ridley main moves and you cant just skip one and say is not relevant, of course it is.

I like ridley because he can expand meta game and character inclusions, if size truly doesnt matter and we can have a big foe runing and flying around then we can pretty much have everybody in the game, dont you think so?

Still, what i said is true, it doesnt matter how characters of different universe interact in smash, the only thing that matter is how characters of the same universe interact, because thats how they represent the saga they came from.

With that said, i use the "ridley too big" as a joke, i dont see how being double samus size is too much, i really think doshin the giant could be an interesting idea but is too early for think in that.
The Melee Ridley isn't Super Metroid size, it's quite a bit smaller, which is also quite clear. My point with it was that it's perfect for a playable size.

Yeah, the Ridley and Young Samus picture is usually the first image that springs to my mind whenever I think of the Metroid manga, it really is pretty cool.

As for the moves. Ridley uses his tail and fireballs as his signature moves. Many bosses grab Samus, Draygoon does it in Super Metroid for example, it's something Ridley does often yes, but not really something that's as unique to him as his fireball barrage or tail stabbing. Even then, there's a reason we often suggest Ridley having a very limited aerial grab, and all characters can also grab in Smash Bros obviously, so while he wouldn't be able to fling Samus around in the same manner, he'd still be able to lift her up. Think Bowser's Koopa Claw in Melee where he lifts the character up, something like that as a standard grab for Ridley would suit him. So you can still represent it, my point was, though not clear, that he doesn't need to scrape her against a wall.

Ridley can be the biggest character in Smash Bros, but it'd be atrocious to have him run around being 2 times bigger than Bowser. In a game like Smash Bros, it doesn't really work. He'd be too easy of a target, he'd get plummeted everywhere, just imagine playing a Giga Bowser who can be knocked back in a 4 player free for all match, it just doesn't work. Size doesn't matter for Ridley because there's more to him, and it's perfectly viable to scale him down because he has been varying in size before. You can't do it with everybody, because to some characters, like Kraid, it's their everything, they don't have anything to them besides being big. Size doesn't matter if it's okay to scale them down, but you can't have a character who'd be enormous compared to everyone else, it doesn't work properly in a game like Smash Bros, and it'd especially be a slap in the face to Ridley fans since that isn't what we have been demanding for such a long time.

Being double of Samus' size is fine, that's about what the AngelGlory mock-up I posted yesterday is anyways.

I do agree that keeping characters in universe is somewhat important, but it's a shallow line that's easy to cross. For example, Peach can kick Bowser's butt in Smash Bros, and that's totally fine, and Ganondorf can be half the height he is in Twilight Princess too, because otherwise they wouldn't be able to be playable characters. What's important is just keeping their basic nature towards their counterparts (which they didn't do well with Ganon btw, but that's not because of size, that's because of his moveset), and you can easily do that with Ridley even when he's scaled down, he just needs to be able to stare Samus down, as long as he can do that he can keep his personality and nature intact.

Anyways, excuse me if some of this comes off a little hazy, I'm hungry and I need some food, so I probably won't respond for some time. I do believe I get my point across regardless.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I'm not saying he couldn't work if he was shrunk, just like that melee intro scene.

What I'm saying is...wait for it...in my opinion, I'd rather have him be that huge badass boss then some playable ****** version, cuz I like Ridley as he should be, huge and scary, not Bowser's size. Which is why I keep saying if he is playable I want him to be alot bigger than Bowser and be Smash Bros first HUGE playable character.

I only keep talking about sizes because people are arguing against that point with weak images and arguments. Pokemon of any species can be different sizes, see my images above. Bowser is a little wobbly sure, but he's way more stable than Ridley in this regard. As for Ganondorf, the Smash Bros team took Ganondorf and kept him at his Ocarina of Time size, so ofc he isn't twice as tall as Link in Brawl, they picked a size from the Zelda games and stuck with it, and Olimar being blown up is a completely different case, no one will admit to it but making him bigger to fit the cast, yeah it's weird but it works, no one even talked about it before it had to be used as a weak argument against the whole shrinking Ridley stuff started.

And now anime and manga are being brought into this discussion, lol.

Just sayin'.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm not saying he couldn't work if he was shrunk, just like that melee intro scene.

What I'm saying is...wait for it...in my opinion, I'd rather have him be that huge badass boss then some playable ****** version, cuz I like Ridley as he should be, huge and scary, not Bowser's size. Which is why I keep saying if he is playable I want him to be alot bigger than Bowser and be Smash Bros first HUGE playable character.

I only keep talking about sizes because people are arguing against that point with weak images and arguments. Pokemon of any species can be different sizes, see my images above. Bowser is a little wobbly sure, but he's way more stable than Ridley in this regard. As for Ganondorf, the Smash Bros team took Ganondorf and kept him at his Ocarina of Time size, so ofc he isn't twice as tall as Link in Brawl, they picked a size from the Zelda games and stuck with it, and Olimar being blown up is a completely different case, no one will admit to it but making him bigger to fit the cast, yeah it's weird but it works, no one even talked about it before it had to be used as a weak argument against the whole shrinking Ridley stuff started.

And now anime and manga are being brought into this discussion, lol.

Just sayin'.
And like I've mentioned before, you have no intends on changing your opinion. You're not convincing anyone either. So I'm not sure why you keep coming back here, because no one gains anything from it other than arguing.

And yes, Olimar's size was actually a counter-argument towards him pre-Brawl. I distinctly remember him and Ridley being in the opposite ends of the same boat.

It's weird, but it works. If that's how you view Olimar, just live with the thought of that's how we view Ridley if you don't understand otherwise.

Plus, if you're going to try and make a subjective post, don't use phrases like "cuz I like Ridley as he should be", because then you're straying away from being subjective since you're speaking of it as if it was objective. Just a tip.

Anyways, I see no reason to keep the argument going, because I stopped keeping count of how many times I've had this discussion back in 2006, and nobody has gained anything from it ever. So I'd say it's best to just shake hands and call it that.

Just sayin'.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm actually really really hungry right now, so I think that food should be my top priority right now.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I think the only thing everyone is throwing a tantrum over is the selective "knowledge/ignorance" that only seems to matter to Ridley and no one else.

I'd gladly admit he's too big if people admitted Bowser, Ganondorf and etc. are too big. No amount of favoritism or opinionated "logic" (such as "it wouldn't look right/natural/isn't as fitting as ____") changes the fact that Sakurai knew and acknowledged this in regards to both characters, and still found a way to make them playable.

RODO

Smash Ace
There are only so many "yeah but..." defenses you are allowed to make for characters that have already been resized before sounding like a hypocrite when saying that Ridley cannot.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
We are pretty much agree then.

The Melee Ridley isn't Super Metroid size, it's quite a bit smaller, which is also quite clear. My point with it was that it's perfect for a playable size.
Which is also my point, i said close to that scale.

that he doesn't need to scrape her against a wall.
He can do it on the floor like this guy.

Ridley can be the biggest character in Smash Bros, but it'd be atrocious to have him run around being 2 times bigger than Bowser. In a game like Smash Bros, it doesn't really work. He'd be too easy of a target, he'd get plummeted everywhere, just imagine playing a Giga Bowser who can be knocked back in a 4 player free for all match, it just doesn't work.
He can be immune to knockback like this guy.
Size doesn't matter for Ridley ...
Being double of Samus' size is fine, that's about what the AngelGlory mock-up I posted yesterday is anyways.
I think you know is important for him, but you just dont want to take it too serious... which is fine.

Im not going to say anything about gany falcons moveset because i know everyone who complain about it is wrong and deserve a flame chuck in da face, so dont worry, debate ends here.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
@SmashBro99
I thought you were saying you didn't want Ridley in before. I wouldn't be opposed to Ridley being the first huge character. However, with that said, I would assume there would be balance issues, and it would be difficult to make him balanced properly. That's probably why a lot of people want him to be around Bowser's size. Since it wouldn't be taking any risks, and it doesn't really make Ridley look less threatening since he's still one of the largest characters in the roster.

@Sobre
If Ridley is immune to knockback, how can he be knocked out of the stage?

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Well based on all of Sakurai's comments on Ridley and how he was included in Brawl, I think it's pretty safe to say Ridley will be our first super huge playable fighter or a cool boss again, or an Assist Trophy if those return.

It seems that he does what HE believes works, and won't include Ridley on the roster just because he's one of the top requested characters, take a look at Wii Fit Trainer, pretty sure she wasn't highly requested, or requested at all but there she is, he made her work in a way he was happy with.

@SmashBro99
I thought you were saying you didn't want Ridley in before. I wouldn't be opposed to Ridley being the first huge character. However, with that said, I would assume there would be balance issues, and it would be difficult to make him balanced properly. That's probably why a lot of people want him to be around Bowser's size. Since it wouldn't be taking any risks, and it doesn't really make Ridley look less threatening since he's still one of the largest characters in the roster.
I probably wasn't being clear before, and with me arguing against him yeah it didn't look like I was a supporter I guess. Other fighting games have done HUGE characters before but this is Smash Bros. I dunno if they can pull it off. I'll just say as a fan of Ridley if a shrunken Bowser-ish sized version of him is included it would be a wasted slot in my eyes. Much bigger playable Ridley would be one of the first characters I would try out.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
The size argument is so stupid. People literally think size matters in a multiplayer Nintendo crossover fighting game. Characters in crossovers are rarely completely consistent with their actual game franchise counterpart anyways.
I mean I didn't know Phoenix Wright was able to summon magical blue energy when presenting evidence or that Maya, a spirit medium, was able to conjure up an energy shield, did you??
You wouldn't have taken me seriously if I said Phoenix Wright would be a cool character to play as in a fighting game, prior to his inclusion in the Marvel vs Capcom series. You probably would have argued that he's a pacifist and that a lawyer that really just yells "Objection!" wouldn't fit very well into the mix.

There are exceptions made SPECIFICALLY for crossover fighting games so the more fan demanded characters can be playable as well, despite what they may actually act like in their own game franchise. They'll at the very attempt to see if they can do what the fans want in most cases, just like Capcom did with Tatsunoku vs Capcom when they tried to think of ways to add Phoenix in to that game.
---
Here is Ganondorf vs. Link in Twilight Princess

Hey man, this guy's like the size of two Shaq's or something. :yeahboi: :yeahboi:

Here's Brawl:
Oh god that's terrifying, I didn't know about that.

Just another example of how consistency in Smash (and Crossovers in general) isn't always priority #1.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
The size argument is so stupid. People literally think size matters in a multiplayer Nintendo crossover fighting game. Characters in crossovers are rarely completely consistent with their actual game franchise counterpart anyways.
I mean I didn't know Phoenix Wright was able to summon magical blue energy when presenting evidence or that Maya, a spirit medium, was able to conjure up an energy shield, did you??
You wouldn't have taken me seriously if I said Phoenix Wright would be a cool character to play as in a fighting game, prior to his inclusion in the Marvel vs Capcom series. You probably would have argued that he's a pacifist and that a lawyer that really just yells "Objection!" wouldn't fit very well into the mix.

There are exceptions made SPECIFICALLY for crossover fighting games so the more fan demanded characters can be playable as well, despite what they may actually act like in their own game franchise. They'll at the very attempt to see if they can do what the fans want in most cases, just like Capcom did with Tatsunoku vs Capcom when they tried to think of ways to add Phoenix in to that game.
You forgot about how Phoenix Wright works because he's not Ridley.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
You forgot about how Phoenix Wright works because he's not Ridley.
Oh yes. I forgot that large purple space dragons are going out of style these days.

But that really wasn't the point of my argument...

majora_787

Smash Hero
We could always do blue or green space dragons. Ridley's got options. :p

Hell we can even do space-radiated cyborg space dragon.

D

Deleted member

Hey look !

The Hocotate Ship passed from a Final Smash to a new Item !

Guess what the next step will be ?

RIDLEY WHO WILL PASS FROM A BOSS TO A NEW CHARACTER !

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Is it me, or has the size arguments become highly irrelevant and absurd!? Complain all you want, but the fact is, Sakurai can always find a way to make Ridley work out as a playable character.

Megazero64

Smash Apprentice
Is it me, or has the size arguments become highly irrelevant and absurd!? Complain all you want, but the fact is, Sakurai can always find a way to make Ridley work out as a playable character.
Just forget about it. everyone on this threads gone insane, First they went through the stages of denial now that denial has turned into complete insanity because Sakurai's been blue balling these people for months
if it helps here's my prediction: Sakurai is first going to confirm the veterans, THEN he's going to confirm the newcomers where we may OR maynot see Ridley.
Now can we PLEASE calm down because all these size comparisons are driving me up the wall. :facepalm:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Well based on all of Sakurai's comments on Ridley and how he was included in Brawl, I think it's pretty safe to say Ridley will be our first super huge playable fighter or a cool boss again, or an Assist Trophy if those return.

It seems that he does what HE believes works, and won't include Ridley on the roster just because he's one of the top requested characters, take a look at Wii Fit Trainer, pretty sure she wasn't highly requested, or requested at all but there she is, he made her work in a way he was happy with.

I probably wasn't being clear before, and with me arguing against him yeah it didn't look like I was a supporter I guess. Other fighting games have done HUGE characters before but this is Smash Bros. I dunno if they can pull it off. I'll just say as a fan of Ridley if a shrunken Bowser-ish sized version of him is included it would be a wasted slot in my eyes. Much bigger playable Ridley would be one of the first characters I would try out.

Thank you. That's all I wanted to hear.

majora_787

Smash Hero
You know, I think I had this conversation once, but to shift from Ridley debates.

Ridley was green in Zero Mission, then was Meta and Omega Ridleys, but then healed up enough by Super Metroid to be not a robot and purple?

I don't remember how that was supposed to all work.

D

Deleted member

Ridley was green in the artwork, but gray(ish) in-game.
Ridley was black in Super Metroid in-game (and red in artwork).

Meta's and Omega's biological features were purple.

So it was really gray -> purple -> black.
Ignoring the fact Ridley can change colors like a chameleon, the purple can be attributed to rotting flesh.

...until the Ridley clone in Other M was shown to be purple as well....

majora_787

Smash Hero
Well I just ask because he was purple in Metroid, but then Zero Mission decided to change his color entirely.

I can hardly blame Other M for that.

So then did Ridley do the eating to heal his injuries thing before Super Metroid? That'd be a lot of eating, but I guess he wouldn't have had much else to do after being defeated as Omega Ridley and Phaaze being destroyed.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
You know, I think I had this conversation once, but to shift from Ridley debates.

Ridley was green in Zero Mission, then was Meta and Omega Ridleys, but then healed up enough by Super Metroid to be not a robot and purple?

I don't remember how that was supposed to all work.

I don't suppose the excuse of video game logic will be good enough this time will it? That's my guess.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Ridley was black in Super Metroid in-game (and red in artwork).

This is black? I could see it being tinted brown or something, but this makes me lean towards purple.

Additionally, he was only red in the American box art.

He does have a touch of orange/red tint in the lighted areas, but that might be from Samus' Charge Shot.

I think the main reasons Ridley is the particularly bright shade of purple we all know and love is because of both the NES sprite (which had green eyes/wings, hasn't been seen since (I count Other M's eyes as yellow with a tint of green)) and his cameo in SSB 64.

Top Bottom