• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Megazero64

Smash Apprentice
So, Marth's back. yay

man this threads getting boring
Quick, somebody make a gif of Ridley doing the cossack dance!!!
And i shall be forever grateful.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
We exactly do want Ridley to be smaller (that being the keyword, not small) because you can't just play as a character who's more than triple the size of Bowser, that'd be the biggest ****ery.

Point is that Ridley's size isn't important to his character. Sure it's nice for him to be able to hold Samus in one hand, but that's not really important to him. Not even Retro Studios themselves take his size seriously, he is resized throughout the course of the very same canon game, in Metroid Prime 3. Meta Ridley is ginormous in that game, but once he becomes Omega Ridley he becomes nearly twice as small.

So yeah, size isn't important to Ridley, he just needs to be able to stare down Samus, and given that Bowser can already do that it isn't a problem. Size isn't a problem for a character who has a lot more to him than just size.
He still is a lot bigger than samus, grabbing her since super metroid, size of course is important to ridley, even in melees intro he is pretty big and thats exactly how i expect him to be.
I dont want ridley to be brawls big if thats what you are saying, but people came with weird toughts like this: http://i.imgur.com/2V3Mk.png and i just cant stand that kind of things, mario is smaller than samus and people tend to forget that, there is no comparision.

This will be ok for me btw.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
We exactly do want Ridley to be smaller (that being the keyword, not small) because you can't just play as a character who's more than triple the size of Bowser, that'd be the biggest ****ery.
It sounds like you're saying Bowser is 137cm (4' 6") and I really can't stand for that.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It sounds like you're saying Bowser is 137cm (4' 6") and I really can't stand for that.
It was only a matter of time before you hit me in the face with the Video Game Heights book.

He still is a lot bigger than samus, grabbing her since super metroid, size of course is important to ridley, even in melees intro he is pretty big and thats exactly how i expect him to be.
I dont want ridley to be brawls big if thats what you are saying, but people came with weird toughts like this: http://i.imgur.com/2V3Mk.png and i just cant stand that kind of things, mario is smaller than samus and people tend to forget that, there is no comparision.

This will be ok for me btw.
This is more like what I'm expecting personally:

Great comparison by AngelGlory. He's not too big, he's not going to take up 1/3 of Final Destination like in the video you linked, but he's still big as ****.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
mnah, even in the video i think is pretty small xD
Compared to his Metroid appearances? Yes. But he needs to be sized down in order to properly be a playable character, or else he'll be a super awkward character to play and he'll be a super easy target. He needs to be sized down quite some. Just enough so that Ridley can still outsize the majority of the cast, which makes him keep him intimidation factor. Size isn't the appeal of Ridley at all, in which case we should be rooting for Kraid instead.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Compared to his Metroid appearances? Yes. But he needs to be sized down in order to properly be a playable character, or else he'll be a super awkward character to play and he'll be a super easy target. He needs to be sized down quite some. Just enough so that Ridley can still outsize the majority of the cast, which makes him keep him intimidation factor. Size isn't the appeal of Ridley at all, in which case we should be rooting for Kraid instead.
Yes, he needs, i know, so i choose the smallest and viable, NES is discarded so...
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090930131534/metroid/es/images/1/19/Ridley's_Lair.gif

Whats the appeal of ridley in your opinion? i only remember him as being that big pterodactyl who grabs people with his claw, shoot fireballs and use his tail as a weapon.
Kraid is gigantic, ridley is just big.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
The appeal of Ridley is that he's an awesome space dragon who's also Samus's nemesis, and could have one of the most brutal and vicious playstyles in Smash. Plus Metroid could definitely use more characters and Ridley would be the best choice.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I honestly can't understand why some Metroid fans would prefer a "generic Space-Pirate mook or Chozo" over Samus's archnemesis and recurring villain. That would be like choosing some random Moblin over Ganondorf himself. Ridley directly changed Samus into who she is and set the story of Metroid into motion. Without him killing her parents, Samus would most likely just grow up to become an ordinary woman and the Space Pirates would have succeeded in their goals to take over the galaxy.

Even Anthony Higgs would make a better choice than those two, and he's only been in one game!

iam8bit

Smash Ace
Good God, Ridley detractors are dumb.

Either that, or the only Metroid game they've played in their lives is Other M.

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
Jeez, peeps, is it that hard to get my name right? It's Angelglory. Anyway, this updated comparison I've already posted should be put into the first post instead of the outdated one. This one has Mario and Olimar, characters both smaller than Samus, to show how they look alongside Ridley as well.

[collapse=T-stance version]
[/collapse]

Kamiko

Smash Ace
I've gotten the impression that most of the too bigots simply have little imagination. Most people probably don't pay much attention to proportions, but I've noticed that the only thing about Ridley that's too big is his head.

Using the Spriter's Resource and my mad Paint skittlez, I've created a chart showing Samus and Ridley with slight size differences:

It may not seem as though tiny changes like these would matter, but if you compare the upper-left picture with the bottom-right, the latter looks much more suitable for a multiplayer fighting game.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
That's a pretty realistic wingspan actually, but most of his appearances don't have them anywhere near that big.

Yes, but nowadays he do have them, and imagine super metroid ridley with those wings, he would look incredibly big and awesome.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Nah, it's the head. People who say it's the wings are funny because it's pretty normal for them to be laughably small in the 2D games, and they would also likely not have hurt boxes so their size isn't too important anyway, AAAND they could just grow in size when in use during animations. The tail is brought up sometimes, and yes it should be shorter, but that's not an issue since it's known to stretch out to great lengths.

One thing to consider about his head and its position is that GIVEN ITS LENGTH his arms would have to reach out past his nose to strike opponents. That's why I tend to propose his head be tilted downward and his body turned toward the camera to a degree. It's also a hurtbox, so having his nose pointing out far away from the body is kind of a major weakspot, especially since he would already be so large.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
The wings could have hitboxes but not being afected by knockback, and no, head is always big but not always that prominent.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
The wings could have hitboxes but not being afected by knockback, and no, head is always big but not always that prominent.
Agreed on the wings, the tail should function the same way.

As for the head, it depends on the game. In Super Metroid, it's as big as his torso. Maybe some people are more concerned with the wings, but too many times have I seen someone complain that 'He can fit Samus in his mouth!'

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
There is no source, it's just a size that I worked to after getting critique and input from the fellow Ridley supporters here.

My personal goal was to make Ridley still be big but also fit in with everyone else. With this size and his Pre-Smash4 Bowser-esque stance, he's large and yet isn't that much taller than Bowser's new stance. His size would only really become obvious when he's lunging or when he's being knock away, basically any time his knees aren't bent. Even then, it's not a size that would make people scream 'OMG Y HE SO BIG'

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord

Fusion Ridley: tiny wings, head is not prominent. Same case is other M and Zero Mission.
If any, is the neck, but i dont think you are talking about that.

Like i said, not always that prominent, you are thinking only in brawl.

@Angelglory:

But i do want people to scream "OMG Y HE SO BIG" xD ok, i understand.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Are you seriously suggesting that every single character, even backround characters and enemes that function as hazards in Toadstool Tour are all under the effect of a temporary power up in order to become huge compared to the Pikmin, when no such thing was even remotely implied in the first place...?

You're funny. I haven't seen this argument been used before, and unsurprisingly an argument for Ridley I haven't seen is a grasp at straws.

That's not what I was saying at all :p

When Toadstool Tour was mentioned I thought the Pikmin were bigger, I've never played the game myself but when everyone assumed I was saying what you said above I checked it out haha.

You have to be able to prove yourself right before wanting others to prove you wrong. Burden of proof is on you.

Prove that Mario & co. are really less than an inch tall like Olimar and found permanent Mega Mushrooms to be titans compared to him.
Prove that a Mario inch isn't the same as a Pikmin inch.
Prove that you aren't just some pathetic troll that has nothing better to do than say stupid things and expect people to take you as intelligent.

If you can't do any of this,
Not trolling at all, calm down buddy :p

Shokio knows what up! Just saw that vid

Big as **** xD

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Well after watching that video, what problems do you have regarding his points?

Bowser / Olimar argument is dead haha, his take on Bowser was stupid tho. "Hes a turtle" when there are actually reasons as to why Bowser is portrayed as MUCH bigger than Mario in like, 2-3 games out of ALL THE MARIO GAMES EVER MADE haha

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
It was only a matter of time before you hit me in the face with the Video Game Heights book.

This is more like what I'm expecting personally:

Great comparison by AngelGlory. He's not too big, he's not going to take up 1/3 of Final Destination like in the video you linked, but he's still big as ****.
Don't forget who came up with the idea to make him that size :smirk:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Well after watching that video, what problems do you have regarding his points?

Bowser / Olimar argument is dead haha, his take on Bowser was stupid tho. "Hes a turtle" when there are actually reasons as to why Bowser is portrayed as MUCH bigger than Mario in like, 2-3 games out of ALL THE MARIO GAMES EVER MADE haha
For the rest of his points...

D

Deleted member

Claiming Shokio knows what he's talking about?

Yeah, definite troll.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Well I'll ask again, which points of his are false and why?

I don't know much about the metroid series. Is he wrong about Ridley being only a little bigger than Samus in 1 metroid game and 3 seconds of melee opening and Ridley being big as **** in 8 others?

Not being able to answer that and just calling me a troll just makes you sound like an ignorant fanboy :D

Olimar and Bowser comparisons are silly and as he said, not the same case at all.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero

I don't know much about the metroid series. Is he wrong about Ridley being only a little bigger than Samus in 1 metroid game and 3 seconds of melee opening and Ridley being big as **** in 8 others?

Not being able to answer that and just calling me a troll just makes you sound like an ignorant fanboy :D
Not a single one of us is saying Ridley's little. Not a single person here.

But anyone who says Ridley's too big completely ignores the fact that characters are resized all the goddamn time in Smash Bros.

As long as he's bigger than Samus, about Bowser's size probably, it won't look out of place.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I honestly can't understand why some Metroid fans would prefer a "generic Space-Pirate mook or Chozo" over Samus's archnemesis and recurring villain. That would be like choosing some random Moblin over Ganondorf himself. Ridley directly changed Samus into who she is and set the story of Metroid into motion. Without him killing her parents, Samus would most likely just grow up to become an ordinary woman and the Space Pirates would have succeeded in their goals to take over the galaxy.

Even Anthony Higgs would make a better choice than those two, and he's only been in one game!
I disagree about Anthony being a better choice than a Chozo to be honest, but that's just me. A Chozo warrior with its own version of the power suit that wields melee weapons for fighting (as seen by Gray Voice fighting & some of the Chozo statues) and perhaps a little projectiles would actually be interesting, in addition to a bird-like fighting style. If people like the Pokemon Hawlucha for being such a manly bird, then they would love a Chozo, no doubt.

Over Ridley though? Think it's just a small cult that prefers that or a random Space Pirate over Ridley himself. Certainly not as loud as the toobiggers or anything.

... Is that Ridley-X pic on the last page fan art or an actual render? Pretty sure it's fan art, though would be interesting if it was the latter. Why is he always drooling?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

Olimar and Bowser comparisons are silly and as he said, not the same case at all.
Perhaps I should've mentioned that his points are countered in the Groose's Theme VS Shokie video.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
You're telling us he's too big for Smash Bros. We have given many many possibilities that show he could work. You have yet to give a solid 100% fact that Ridley is in fact too big.

Opinion being an intangible idea goes both ways. We may not be able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Ridley can work, but you certainly cannot prove he can't.

Top Bottom