• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

majora_787

Smash Hero
I am still not following this argument that demands Ridley alone abide exclusively by Metroid canon in a spinoff game that disregards canon for the sake of being a mascot crossover starring trophies of iconic characters.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Okay not including Bowser or Olimar, most of the other characters are also larger/smaller.

Kirby is about the 3 of Dedede in both height and width. In Smash Bros, Kirby is about half the size of Dedede in both height and width. Looks like Dedede is too big.

Ganondorf is twice as tall as Link in Twilight Princess. But in Smash Bros, Link is about shoulder tall to Ganondorf. Looks like Ganondorf is too big.

Also, the fighter in Smash Bros are literally toys! That is why size doesn't matter. Look at the video

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I am still not following this argument that demands Ridley alone abide exclusively by Metroid canon in a spinoff game that disregards canon for the sake of being a mascot crossover starring trophies of iconic characters.
Because close-mindedness.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I guess. I mean I admittedly between Brawl and some time around SMash 4's announcement got drawn into how canon things should be. But then I realized at no point did it matter and the issue at work here is, is this character worth adding, and how awesome would they be to play as?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So should Ridley have more than two jumps? I'd imagine so. But how many exactly? Say maybe 3, instead of Kirby and Meta-Knight's 5. Or would he glide instead?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Would 3 and a glide be problematic?

It might not be. Unless the jumping mechanics are going to be changed for characters like Meta-Knight and Pit, but we have no reason to doubt that at the moment. Though I'm just unsure if he'd get more than two jumps and a glide, if he was ever added. But it's should be possible. Ridley strikes me like he'd mostly be focued on being a powerhouse type rather than being mobile character. Not to say that his mobility would be bad, it just would be second best to his raw damage.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I am mostly thinking he would need three jumps and maybe a glide to compensate for a lack of mobility.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Make it 4 jumps like Dedede and I feel that he's better off.

Don't forget who came up with the idea to make him that size :smirk:
I'm responsible for having his head tilted up in the image, but I'm just giving the credit to the guy who visualized it, felt that was easier than having to list all people who were part of making it like it is.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
More people should counter the whole "Pikmin and Olimar are from the same series and are scaled the right size" argument with Pikachu and Charizard. I love how this picture just dashes everyone's size arguments.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Even though if anything, in my experience anyway, scaling stuff up from a small size makes the textures look a lot worse/strabger than scaling stuff down from a large size.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Three and a glide would be okay as long as they're significantly better than Charizard's jumps and glide. Ridley really needs to have good air mobility.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Perhaps Ridley could have two small jumps. However...

Up B Aerial Mode: Ridley spreads his wings and gets 2 long floaty jumps. His five aerial attacks change to a different set of aerial attacks.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
Perhaps Ridley could have two small jumps. However...

Up B Aerial Mode: Ridley spreads his wings and gets 2 long floaty jumps. His five aerial attacks change to a different set of aerial attacks.
That'd be pretty excellent.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Is Ridley truly an unpopular suggestion for a newcomer in Japan? Because when I looked at the Official Poll for the Smash Dojo, he was one of the most popular requests for Brawl, receiving about FOUR separate requests from Japanese fans. The only character who was more popular than him in that list was King Dedede, and he along with Diddy Kong, Ike, and Olimar (all characters who were in the poll who received about or less support than Ridley himself), were all confirmed to be apart of Brawl's roster.

I understand that Metroid isn't really a mainstream franchise in its home country, but I don't think that was necessarily a factor against there being a second Metroid rep. From the looks of things, I don't think Ridley is exactly ''unwanted'' for being part of SSB4's roster but more likely just overlooked in favor of other characters like Mega Man or Shulk.

Apparently, on the Smash Dojo Poll even the Metroid Prime Hunters were requested for inclusion at least once.

D

Deleted member

Not a poll, but how many times Sakurai claimed to get an e-mail about him, yadda yadda yadda I've said this too much.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
So it was just a bunch of e-mail requests that Sakurai decided to post on his site then? Ah well, it doesn't mean that he's 'unwanted' in Japan. Again, Ridley is probably only overlooked in favor of other characters not because he's disliked, but because of his franchises's cultishness.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
It's more that the prime series, which was the current stuff at the time, was a lot less popular in japan than in the us. obviously that didn't mean much because we got a prime 1 stage, but it was a valid argument back then. nowadays we have other M superseding the prime series in terms of recentness, but you never know where sakurai will pull designs from.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Truth be told we should be more hopeful (I know the irony in me of all people saying that) now with the Marth reveal.

Marth's appearance is more from Shadow Dragon than from Awakening, which was the utmost recent game in Fire Emblem.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Marth was only DLC in Awakening though if I'm not mistaken, Sakurai simply chose the design from the game where Marth is most important in.

Unless he wants us to play as the actual Ridley, and not a clone, it's going to be the Other M design, with probably a few tweaks like Samus has had. Considering how much Sakurai is stressing that everything from Metroid is from Other M, I don't expect anything but the Other M design.

R_Trigger

Smash Cadet
While it is true that characters like Link and Marth do not use their most recent designs, Samus is using her most recent, and if Sakurai prefers consistency, I think they would choose the Other M design for Ridley as well. But on the other hand, Samus' model is not a direct copy and paste from Other M, and I think most people would be okay with Other M Ridley if they gave a good makeover with his face (which is probably the main thing people don't like about this particular design).

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Not to mention the old design for Villager too. Its kind of odd how Sakurai picks and chooses designs. Sort of how he used Andross' old SNES form while other Assist Trophies had more modern looks.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Honestly it's the same reason I don't think we'll see pacman, but that's besides the point.

And yes, Marth's appearance in awakening wasn't exactly... on the main storyline.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Not to mention the old design for Villager too. Its kind of odd how Sakurai picks and chooses designs. Sort of how he used Andross' old SNES form while other Assist Trophies had more modern looks.
I think the reason why he selected the old Villager design was because in fact he is a personalizable character, thats maybe he choose a more "iconic" appareance for him, as for Andross i bet it was easier (and a little lazy) to choose his simpler and polygonal appareance.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I don't think we have to assume it'll be the Other M Ridley, usually when we assume, we're wrong. If Sakurai wants Other M Ridley, then that's what we're getting, or if he wants Brawl Ridley that's what we're getting. We can't base things off of consistency because this is Smash Bros and Sakurai's will be done.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord

Thats because SNES andross is the most recognizable of them.
Is like lakitu and hammer bro, selected for being the most iconic looks (also hammer bro appear in subspace emissay) and thats also why he choosed the advance wars units instead of the famicom wars or batallion wars designs, they are more famous. He just want everybody to recognize them in the first view.

Thats also why we get so many character new designs, for being more recognizables for new costumers (something that is not always the case in peachs brawl, but that can be considered a fanservice).

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
N64 Andross is probably more recognizable, but the Brawl development team probably just likes that design more. That or they thought it looked cooler (which IMO it did).

As for Ridley, I think we can expect him to at least retain that Melee/Brawl look (Super Metroid design + Metroid purple), probably with some Other M design mixed in.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
As for Ridley, I think we can expect him to at least retain that Melee/Brawl look (Super Metroid design + Metroid purple), probably with some Other M design mixed in.
If ridley even gets an alternate costume if confirmed but yea very likely for alternate costume for him if confirmed

Top Bottom