• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
PICTURE OF OLIMAR NEXT TO HIS SHIP AT ACTUAL SIZE ON TEH PYROSPHERE!

RIDLEY CONFIRMED!
Nope read the sakurai quote thats not olimars ship its another item called the hocoship which is another bomb item it. Works how the olimars final smash works except exclusing the slugs attacking everyone after take off the landing is unpredictable

?????????????

Smash Master
Nope read the sakurai quote thats not olimars ship its another item called the hocoship which is another bomb item it. Works how the olimars final smash works except exclusing the slugs attacking everyone after take off the landing is unpredictable
Ah, so THIS is Samus' "old adversary" that Sakurai was talking about...

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
WAIT A MINUTE!

Notice how large Olimar is compared to the ship. Notice how large he is compared to Sonic as well. Look at all the size inconsistencies. Clear proof that Sakurai doesn't care about those!

And all of them are shown on the Pyrosphere stage!

GUYS! DO YOU SEE IT NOW!?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
WAIT A MINUTE!

Notice how large Olimar is compared to the ship. Notice how large he is compared to Sonic as well. Look at all the size inconsistencies. Clear proof that Sakurai doesn't care about those!

Ridley as big as Pikachu confirmed.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
WAIT A MINUTE!

Yes i can see it i mean reminder unless the ship instantaneously inflates when someone uses it

It could be a sign of sakurai hinting ridley (also once again quote pizzadudemanguys post)

Doublepost

Just transfering the best how big ridley would be playable picture

Exceptally to pizzadude man guy (i still give a huge kudos to Angelglory for these pictures)

Does this adjustment look better?​
And before I vanish into the shadows completely, here's a T-stance comparison with added DK​
As you can see, Ridley is almost twice as tall as Samus, making him the biggest character. But his lowered battle stance makes him fit in just fine as you guys can see from the previous comparisons.​

D

Deleted member

Am I the only one who think Ridley looks more menacing when his eyes have no pupils ?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
It's not so much that his eyes are small as they are... varying. Meta-Ridley has the glowy orange/fire eyes, ZM's Ridley Robot and Other M Ridley have glowy green ones that stick out, and a bit of a cliche that I'm kind of a sucker for, glowy red eyes... At least in one of his Zero Mission renders, and the statue in Super Metroid that perches on top of the other boss statues.

The Super Metroid version's eyes though I feel pulls it off best as far as giving a creepy vibe with the lifeless look in his eyes (which having no pupils definitely contributes to), not to mention it's the Ridley that does the whole "reveals eyes first, then rest of the body" thing when first appearing, which as mentioned sometimes before, should be the intro animation for him in Sm4sh. It's classic.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
It's not so much that his eyes are small as they are... varying. Meta-Ridley has the glowy orange/fire eyes, ZM's Ridley Robot and Other M Ridley have glowy green ones that stick out, and a bit of a cliche that I'm kind of a sucker for, glowy red eyes... At least in one of his Zero Mission renders, and the statue in Super Metroid that perches on top of the other boss statues.

The Super Metroid version's eyes though I feel pulls it off best as far as giving a creepy vibe with the lifeless look in his eyes (which having no pupils definitely contributes to), not to mention it's the Ridley that does the whole "reveals eyes first, then rest of the body" thing when first appearing, which as mentioned sometimes before, should be the intro animation for him in Sm4sh. It's classic.
In particular I meant Other M Ridley's eyes.

And I must agree that Super Metroid version's eyes do a great job of giving off a creepy vibe. And I'd really hope that his classic entry from Super Metroid would be his entrance animation in Smash as well.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
He does look more intimidating without pupils, but I think to give him some way of showing personality it'd be best to give him pupils in Smash, it adds a lot in terms of showing off the character's thoughts, especially for someone who doesn't speak. For example, look at Dedede, all of his personality lies in the eyes, and he shows a lot of personality in even Smash, or heck just look at the Brawl Ridley. His eyes can glow to hide his pupils in his opening animation then.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Really? Not once has Sakurai mentioned Ridley with any of the Pyrosphere screenshots. Besides, this thread can deserve a rest from time to time.
There's no denying that he made a nod to Ridley in the very first Pyrosphere picture, it's the only possible "enemy from Samus' past" that has any relevance to the Pyrosphere, and the only important enemy of Samus worth refering to without showing him. You're right that he wasn't directly mentioned, but it's for certain that he made a nod towards him. The rest of the pictures might aswell be us playing mindgames with yourselves. "Purple effects! RIIIIDLEY!"

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
Don't get me wrong, these Ridley jokes are good and I can see all of your messages behind every last one but their kind of getting old. It's better if everyone stay on topic seriously so the hope can grow more powerful.

I see how SchAlternate made a great point but yet Ridley still wasn't playable in Brawl. This could be a sign that Sakurai may not take the Ridley fan base seriously.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I see how SchAlternate made a great point but yet Ridley still wasn't playable in Brawl. This could be a sign that Sakurai may not take the Ridley fan base seriously.
I don't see why he wouldn't take us seriously. Ridley was still under the boot of a lot of characters in Brawl, namely Dedede, Diddy Kong, Wario, Olimar, Meta Knight, you get the idea. He was by no means a top requested character until a good chunk of characters had been announced. This time however, he is one of the top requested characters, in Brawl it was kind of acceptable to let Ridley slip because he wasn't among the top 5 most requested characters and such, but this time he is only under Mega Man (who is confirmed) and Mewtwo (who is a veteran), and in stiff competition with K. Rool. If Ridley doesn't make it in this time, then I'll believe Sakurai doesn't want him as a character, but Ridley not being playable in Brawl is understandable given how many more important characters they had to add, and since Ridley isn't exactly an easy character to work out, he was probably ditched early on so he wouldn't end up taking the spot from possibly two additional characters.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
so this one guy on miiverse has been drawing a buncha ridley stuff
[collapse=you guys remember this one]

[/collapse]

and I found out that there's WAY more things.

like so:

and that's just the beginning.

oh and here's one for diddy

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I don't see why he wouldn't take us seriously. Ridley was still under the boot of a lot of characters in Brawl, namely Dedede, Diddy Kong, Wario, Olimar, Meta Knight, you get the idea. He was by no means a top requested character until a good chunk of characters had been announced. This time however, he is one of the top requested characters, in Brawl it was kind of acceptable to let Ridley slip because he wasn't among the top 5 most requested characters and such, but this time he is only under Mega Man (who is confirmed) and Mewtwo (who is a veteran), and in stiff competition with K. Rool. If Ridley doesn't make it in this time, then I'll believe Sakurai doesn't want him as a character, but Ridley not being playable in Brawl is understandable given how many more important characters they had to add, and since Ridley isn't exactly an easy character to work out, he was probably ditched early on so he wouldn't end up taking the spot from possibly two additional characters.
Thats very agreeable. And i think sakurai will probably try his best to make ridley playable this time. And besides if he does not become playable he might get confirmed in ssb5. Because ridley could be one of the mean't to be playable character."sakurai confessed that villager was mean't for brawl"

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
How you guys think kirby will handle ridleys size? how he could swallow something that big? we would be able to grab him or is immune like giga bowser?

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Does someone have a picture of kirby with a mini mushroom inhaling bowser with a super mushroom? Kirby is all about sucking, Ridley isn't too big, we can make him fit in Kirby's mouth.
Ridley being immune to grabs sounds silly to me. I don't see why he wouldn't be able to be grabbed. Then again, I'd be interested in a character that loses the ability to block, but cannot be grabbed (though I don't think Ridley should be that character).

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
I do see kirby swallowing him anyways and that also count for the grabs, but is also a missed opportunity to play with the size of the character.
Grabing a giant foe just doesnt seem right for me...

Keeshu

Smash Ace
A small character grabbing a large foe is one of those fun over-the-top kind of things you can do in games. Of course, everyone is of similar size in smash though so that's not really an issue (unless you're playing with mini+super mushrooms, which makes it stupid, hilarious, and awesome at the same time).

Are you able to explain why grabbing a giant foe doesn't seem right? Did it always feel weird to toss around bowser with any of the smaller characters in the smash roster?
Missed opportunity to play with the size of Ridley? I don't quite follow where you are going with this.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Yeah, there's a lot of fighting games where most people are around similar sizes, but with one massively huge guy that has more hp/power/reach but sacrifices technique and speed. I don't think Ridley would fill that niche. Would be interesting to see an overly large character be focused on speed and aerial game to change that up. However, I'd rather have some other character fill the large size niche and/or allow for a game mode where one character is bigger than the others.

Personally I don't care too much about Ridley's size. As long as he gets some of his iconic moves (Tail attacks+spammy fireballs specificly), and some good speedy air-game, I'll be happy.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I'm not sure which is a more fitting forward smash smash, some sort of tail stab or the lunge from Metroid Prime 1.

Top Bottom