• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I never said it didn't make sense for him to have it. That argument was about number of occurances.
...okay?
The fact is that he has done it in the game. You have no argument here for it not being relevant or not being like Ridley. There's plenty that only happened once in Smash Bros., that still makes it into the game. What is your point?

That wouldn't actually do a lot of damage.
It'd damage the armor. How do birds of prey eat turtles? Slam the shell against something so it cracks. Same principle.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Other attacks have been given to characters in their games after the attack first appeared in a Smash game. Yoshi's Egg Roll and Luigi's Green Missile for examples could be used by them in a few Mario spin-offs after the attacks were first shown in Smash.

And the number of occurrences argument is still just a void. The Vegetables/Turnips from Super Mario Bros. 2 were only in that game (and remakes of it) prior to Melee, and they became a part of Peach's moveset in Melee.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
...okay?
The fact is that he has done it in the game. You have no argument here for it not being relevant or not being like Ridley. There's plenty that only happened once in Smash Bros., that still makes it into the game. What is your point?
My point was that we shouldn't just copy something that already happened. Yeah, it was cool. Let's not wear it out.

It'd damage the armor. How do birds of prey eat turtles? Slam the shell against something so it cracks. Same principle.
Slamming would be fine. But that scraping realistically would only matter if the wall was made of saws or something.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
My point was that we shouldn't just copy something that already happened. Yeah, it was cool. Let's not wear it out.
Would it be as worn out as Bowser using his Bowser Bomb in three Smash games after it was only used in one Mario game?

It's not like the wall scrape is going to be Ridley's signature move, what's so bad about him just using it again?

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
My point was that we shouldn't just copy something that already happened. Yea, it was cool. Let's not wear it out.
That's called giving someone a moveset. You take things they do and let them do them. If they don't have enough things, you make things up. But hey! It looks like Ridley has a thing he can do here. Why shouldn't be able to do that thing?

Slamming would be fine. But that scraping realistically would only matter if the wall was made of saws or something.
Unless he damaged the armor sufficiently to expose some skin...? Or wanted to damage it in a different way? You seem to be under the impression that scraping wouldn't do any damage at all, which is simply not true. Plus! Dragging Samus along the wall would disorient her, or could bounce her around in her suit. Maybe she'd hit her head or something. There's plenty of potential reason to do something like that.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Your point is that characters shouldn't do things in smash that they've done in their own games?

Doesn't that entirely defeat the purpose of crossover games?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The wall scrape attack is cool, but unless they can find a way to make it work properly, then I don't want it in. That's really how I see all moves. It'd be pretty damn weird if he just turned over and began dragging the opponent along the floor, and characters can't interact with the background, so I can't see a proper way to put it into the game.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Would it be as worn out as Bowser using his Bowser Bomb in three Smash games after it was only used in one Mario game?

It's not like the wall scrape is going to be Ridley's signature move, what's so bad about him just using it again?
Probably depends on whether or not Bowser kept using using it in that game.

It's just reminding me of the 'Why so serious?' kind of thing. The Joker's not all about that, but the movie made people make way too big of a deal out of it.

I wouldn't mind using something like it if it fits, but some people are trying too hard to force it in.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I figured maybe Ridley could have an abnormal grab like Donkey Kong and be able to drag opponents along the ground or walls to damage them. That'd be the best use of it I could think of. Not enough characters have particularly interesting grapple mechanics, and Ridley has the material for one.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
That's actually a cool idea. His ground game would probably be pretty crappy compared to his air game, so that could be an interesting mechanic.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I figured maybe Ridley could have an abnormal grab like Donkey Kong and be able to drag opponents along the ground or walls to damage them. That'd be the best use of it I could think of. Not enough characters have particularly interesting grapple mechanics, and Ridley has the material for one.
If it wasn't for the potential super glitches and bugs I'm sure it'd cause, not to mention how damn hard it'd be to develop, I'd be all for it. If any unique grab mechanics, I still vote for an aerial grab.

majora_787

Smash Hero
If it wasn't for the potential super glitches and bugs I'm sure it'd cause, not to mention how damn hard it'd be to develop, I'd be all for it. If any unique grab mechanics, I still vote for an aerial grab.
Maybe I'm just optimistic, but I think that if they decided to give Ridley a unique grab they would put forth more effort into making sure it worked properly. And even then I'm sure it'd be more limited than I made it sound or something. But who knows, it's entirely possible that he'll have standard Smash Bro grab game.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Happened once?
It happened in three games now.
Brawl, Other M, and Dead or Alive Dimensions.
Wouldn't surprise me if Smash 4 has a nod to it regardless of Ridley's role.
I kinda would like it to be Ridley's Final Smash... give Ridley a little cutscene where Ridley scrapes characters against the Pyrosphere wall regardless of the stage the match is on... just like Captain Falcon's Final Smash with the race track. :)

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I kinda would like it to be Ridley's Final Smash... give Ridley a little cutscene where Ridley scrapes characters against the Pyrosphere wall regardless of the stage the match is on... just like Captain Falcon's Final Smash with the race track.
I actually like that idea. The only problem would be that if he could either do it to only one character or three at once. Could he do THREE Ridleys, for example? That would be a big (:troll:) thing to think about.

I know that most of you feel the same way, but my biggest gripe about there being a possible "Stage Hazardly" isn't just because Sakurai is snubbing Metroid for the umpteenth time, but that Team Ninja had already used the same concept for Dead or Alive: Dimensions. In that game, Ridley was a stage hazard on their Metroid-themed stage, with Samus occasionally helping the other fighters fend him back. I mean seriously, that was an entirely different game that consisted of Team Ninja's own original characters with only Metroid thrown in there as a reference to the then-recently developed Other M. They weren't developing a Nintendo All-Stars Fighting game, they were developing a game for the Dead or Alive franchise. I mean no offense to Sakurai, but I cannot believe that he would stoop to copying another video game's game mechanic, a mechanic that is one of Smash's most highly desired and demanded characters, when he already has the power and backing from Namco-Bandai to implement him as a fighter. I guess maybe he wanted to make a console-based version of the stage? *shrug*

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I actually like that idea. The only problem would be that if he could either do it to only one character or three at once. Could he do THREE Ridleys, for example? That would be a big (:troll:) thing to think about.

I know that most of you feel the same way, but my biggest gripe about there being a possible "Stage Hazardly" isn't just because Sakurai is snubbing Metroid for the umpteenth time, but that Team Ninja had already used the same concept for Dead or Alive: Dimensions. In that game, Ridley was a stage hazard on their Metroid-themed stage, with Samus occasionally helping the other fighters fend him back. I mean seriously, that was an entirely different game that consisted of Team Ninja's own original characters with only Metroid thrown in there as a reference to the then-recently developed Other M. They weren't developing a Nintendo All-Stars Fighting game, they were developing a game for the Dead or Alive franchise. I mean no offense to Sakurai, but I cannot believe that he would stoop to copying another video game's game mechanic, a mechanic that is one of Smash's most highly desired and demanded characters, when he already has the power and backing from Namco-Bandai to implement him as a fighter. I guess maybe he wanted to make a console-based version of the stage? *shrug*
If sakurai uses Ridley as a stage hazard, just because Team Ninja did it in Dead Or Alive: Dimensions, then that means that sakurai is lacking originality, and would also be a very lazy and disappointing decision.

Tweezer Salad

Smash Apprentice
If sakurai uses Ridley as a stage hazard, just because Team Ninja did it in Dead Or Alive: Dimensions, then that means that sakurai is lacking originality, and would also be a very lazy and disappointing decision.
Didn't know this DoA game even existed till I read your post and looked up the pyrosphere footage on youtube.

And I'm honestly a little disappointed knowing Pyrosphere is in that game and in SSB4 looking almost no different. I know the original location in Other M is a simple design to begin with so not much could change, but man, it seems going with that stage as the Other M rep is almost lazy and disappointing in a way considering it's an already simple design and already been used in a 2D fighter before.

Could sadly see Ridley being a Stage Hazard too btw

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Didn't know this DoA game even existed till I read your post and looked up the pyrosphere footage on youtube.

And I'm honestly a little disappointed knowing Pyrosphere is in that game and in SSB4 looking almost no different. I know the original location in Other M is a simple design to begin with so not much could change, but man, it seems going with that stage as the Other M rep is almost lazy and disappointing in a way considering it's an already simple design and already been used in a 2D fighter before.

Could sadly see Ridley being a Stage Hazard too btw
Dead or Alive is a 3D fighter.

And what else would you pick for an Other M stage? Pyrosphere is the only memorable place.

Tweezer Salad

Smash Apprentice
Dead or Alive is a 3D fighter.

And what else would you pick for an Other M stage? Pyrosphere is the only memorable place.
The indoor jungle I suppose. Not much about that game is memorable you're right,

But yeah, you fight Ridley in the Pyrosphere so Its more important I guess.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
If we want to talk about "beating a move to death," lets turn this discussion to Sonic and his fifteen slightly different ways of rolling.

Megazero64

Smash Apprentice
I've noticed that the thread is at 290 pages already. wow 4 month of this. it's amazing how we've worked so hard to try to get Ridley in smash.
I love you all. :)
no homo

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Under the directions of a certain kmpupni individual on this page, I came as quickly as I could to do my duty as a man and thrust into Ridley's hole.

Or something along those lines, anyway. I usually just lurk here and many is it a hilariously fun place to be. ¦D

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
We have all done zero to get Ridley in Smash.
Because all the proof of ridley getting into smash is already done and 100% helps him to be playable

An plus tomorrow the mii could be in the spotlight since wii party u comes out in japan tomorrow and its halloween

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Walk on all fours would make sense, and they wouldn't have to shrink him down as much if he's hunched over. Man do I hate that Ridley though... his mouth looks like a purple banana peel.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Goes along well with those pink spikes I guess.

Geez, the Other M cutscene and boss fight make that model look better than it actually is.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm sure they'll take that model and modify it to be similar to Super Metroid Ridley. Kinda like a mix.

I would still love to see if AngelGlory could figure out a size comparison with an Other M model of Ridley as opposed to the Super Metroid version.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Speaking from an optimistic standpoint, it'd be hard for me to visualize a "Ridley confirmed for SSB4!" trailer if it were set on any other "Other M" stage besides the Pyrosphere. I don't think it would have the same gravitas if say, Ridley made his first appearance on the Battlefield stage or Final Destination.

Top Bottom