• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
How would Ridley bite.

Like.

I mean????

What does he even have that could accomplish such an action?
Have you ever SEEN the guy eat? Like, at all? Look at his neck!

I mean, Sakurai should try to be a Good Samaritan and let the poor guy have some of his delicious, two-dimensional photorealistic food. What could possibly go wrong?

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero

I mean, Sakurai should try to be a Good Samaritan and let the poor guy have some of his delicious, two-dimensional photorealistic food. What could possibly go wrong?
"Oh, goody. Holographic meatloaf AGAIN."

But yeah, I've never thought about that before. How does he fit food down that crooked pencil neck of his?

----

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I was always under the assumption that he absorbs the cells just by putting them in his mouth (or whatever is left one one). It's what he claims to do in the manga.

D

Deleted member

Or perhaps after he chews 'em up, they just go schwooop! into his stomach.
Like how a Waddle Dee eats.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

I was just thinking about that the other day... maybe that's why Ridley looks anorexic.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
Gotta get Big
Gotta go Fast

I'm sure Chono is delighted to see it again.

How would you guys picture Ridley's grabs & throws to be like?

I'm envisioning him to have a grab-heavy playstyle in which he can utilize Specials while having an opponent in his clutches, this seems pretty characteristic of how we've seen him in other games in that he tends to grab Samus and proceeds to spit fireballs in her face, slam her on the ground, drag her against the wall, etc.

As far as throws go I think it would be a bit awkward if he simply threw a character in a given direction, it might add more to his character if he instead launched the opponent via tail whip, fireball, or by other means.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
As far as throws go I think it would be a bit awkward if he simply threw a character in a given direction, it might add more to his character if he instead launched the opponent via tail whip, fireball, or by other means.
F-Throw: Slams the opponent to the ground
B-Throw: Flips backwards and impacts the ground, similar to Kirby's.
D-Throw: Grinds the floor with the foe's face. (Like how he did with Samus in that cutscene of the SSE)

U-Throw: Leaps upwards past the blast line, appears on the background, then jets towards the foreground with the foe on his clutches and, before he reaches the camera, slams the opponent against the stage, with the impact causing a spectacular explosion. Ridley then falls from the upper blast line, and lands safely.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
U-Throw: Leaps upwards past the blast line, appears on the background, then jets towards the foreground with the foe on his clutches and, before he reaches the camera, slams the opponent against the stage, with the impact causing a spectacular explosion. Ridley then falls from the upper blast line, and lands safely.
Great, now he sounds OP.... :p

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Pummel: Bites his opponent.
F-throw: Spits a somewhat large, slow moving fireball then throws his opponent at it.
B-throw: Jumps into the air and throws his opponent on the ground.
D-throw: Travels forward a short distance while dragging his opponent across the ground.
U-throw: Grabs his opponent with his feet, then flies high up into the air before trying to crush his opponent with his feet, damaging him/her and then drops him/her.

Megazero64

Smash Apprentice
Gotta get Big
Pummel: Whips opponent with tail.
F-throw: Simply throws them forward.
B-throw: Chomps on opponent and wiggles them around then throws them behind.
D-throw: A lot like Charizard's D-throw but shoots multiple fireballs.
U-throw: Same as B-throw but upwards.
I'd say the wall-grinding attack is more final smash material where he can grab an opponent an grind them while taking others characters out with them and ending it with Ridley throw them to the ground with a MASSIVE explosion that will make Micheal Bays explosions look like mere firecrackers.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
I'd have Ridley grab with his tail. Keep in mind this is based off a quadrupedal perspective, though this could work on two legs as well.

Pummel - Bites the opponent repeatedly.
F-Throw - Slams the opponent on the ground.Twice. Second slam bounces opponent in the air.
B-Throw - Flings the opponent away like a rag doll
D-Throw - Presses opponent into the ground, then quickly leaps off the ground and stomps them with all fours
U-Throw - Flings the opponent into the air, then exhales a fast moving ball of flame, sniping them out the air.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
It'd not be all that overpowered, really. It'd work like an over-exaggerated version of Kirby's U-Throw, and would do considerable damage but relatively poor knockback.

Note: I said sounds OP, not is. I was just pointing the fact that it's flashy and big... something like a OP move.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
*wakes up from Poke-coma*

I don't really like the idea of throwing that wall-scrape thing in his moveset just because it happened once. I think we (and Sakurai) can be more original than that.

What about batting the opponent away with his tail?

D-Throw - Presses opponent into the ground, then quickly leaps off the ground and stomps them with all fours
U-Throw - Flings the opponent into the air, then exhales a fast moving ball of flame, sniping them out the air.
Thought of both of these right before reading this post. Both do a great job of making Ridley feel more menacing.

D

Deleted member

Happened once?
It happened in three games now.
Brawl, Other M, and Dead or Alive Dimensions.
Wouldn't surprise me if Smash 4 has a nod to it regardless of Ridley's role.

D

Deleted member

Doesn't negate the concept that it happened more than once.

It doesn't matter why it happens or whether or not it was "ripped" from Brawl, the important thing is that it happened.
3 =/= 1.
The argument that it "only happened once" is null and void.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
It happened in any single canon once, and DoA obviously doesn't count. Technically the Ridley most of us want never did it at all, even though Brawl Ridley is meant to represent him.

It can be comparable to the Gale Boomerang if that returns. Sure, you could say it appeared in three games, but cononically it only showed up once.

Alternatively, you could say any particular meme is all over the internet, but it's still the same meme.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
It happened in any single canon once, and DoA obviously doesn't count. Technically the Ridley most of us want never did it at all, even though Brawl Ridley is meant to represent him.

It can be comparable to the Gale Boomerang if that returns. Sure, you could say it appeared in three games, but cononically it only showed up once.

Alternatively, you could say any particular meme is all over the internet, but it's still the same meme.
But the Ridley we'll probably get did it. Who cares if Smash did it first? It feels like something a big dragon would do.

And the Gale Boomerang is from the game Link's outfit in Smash 4 is most based on, so...your point is silly.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
That was exactly my point. How is that silly?
When Link is from Twilight Princess, or based on his Twilight Princess appearance, any item from Twilight Princess makes sense for him to have. I don't care if it only showed up in Twilight Princess. The Gale Boomerang is from Twilight Princess, thus the Link from Twilight Princess should be allowed to have it, regardless of how many games it was in.

Likewise, if we get Ridley, we're probably getting Other M Ridley. In the Metroid canon, the only Ridley ever to perform the wall scrape is the Other M Ridley. So Other M Ridley having the wall scrape seems perfectly logical to me. Who cares if it came from Smash originally? The fact of the matter is that it happened in canon, and with the version of the character we're likeliest to get.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Yes, but it doesn't seem like something Ridley would feel the need to repeat. It doesn't even make sense to do in battle.
It makes perfect sense, and it definitely feels like something a ferocious dragon (a giant lizard) would do to a small opponent wrapped in armor.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I believe the Brawl Wall Scraper was based on an attack he had in Fusion, where he would grab you and ram you against the wall. I think he may have rammed you against each wall? So, adding a third dimension, it seems obvious you'd add him scraping you across the wall from point A to point B.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
When Link is from Twilight Princess, or based on his Twilight Princess appearance, any item from Twilight Princess makes sense for him to have. I don't care if it only showed up in Twilight Princess. The Gale Boomerang is from Twilight Princess, thus the Link from Twilight Princess should be allowed to have it, regardless of how many games it was in.

Likewise, if we get Ridley, we're probably getting Other M Ridley. In the Metroid canon, the only Ridley ever to perform the wall scrape is the Other M Ridley. So Other M Ridley having the wall scrape seems perfectly logical to me. Who cares if it came from Smash originally? The fact of the matter is that it happened in canon, and with the version of the character we're likeliest to get.
I never said it didn't make sense for him to have it. That argument was about number of occurances.

It makes perfect sense, and it definitely feels like something a ferocious dragon (a giant lizard) would do to a small opponent wrapped in armor.
That wouldn't actually do a lot of damage.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I believe the Brawl Wall Scraper was based on an attack he had in Fusion, where he would grab you and ram you against the wall. I think he may have rammed you against each wall? So, adding a third dimension, it seems obvious you'd add him scraping you across the wall from point A to point B.
This as well. I remembered him grabbing you, but I wasn't positive if he slammed you on the wall. I thought he did though.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Well the animation was pretty non-existent BUT THE IDEA SEEMED THERE.

Just kind of. Moved... toward the wall.

Top Bottom