• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Im still hoping for a Metroid Prime 3 Stage, considering that MP3: Corruption and Other M are the last original Metroid Games released after Brawl, and Skytown Elysia is the better choice, plus it already has floating platforms:
A part of me will die if Skytown isn't a stage.
so what you're saying is Ridley isn't too big, Smash is just too small?
Funny thing is, one thing I'm noticing about all of the stages in this game is they seem much more spacious than those in Brawl.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I just hope the momment of truth happens (aka i hope ridley gets a special case just like luigi and toon link aka2 likely to be unlockable but shown anyway)

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
Damn, over 10,000 posts?! I'm glad I have no knowledge on the Metroid series. Ridley seems to be a character I'm missing out on. I can't even imagine what Ridley fans are going through.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
well hopefully we find his fate soon
Yeah.

However, due to how packed October and November are (Pokemon X/Y, Wii Party U, Super Mario 3D World, and A Link Between Worlds), I doubt we will get a playable confirmation for Ridley any time soon (or at least for the next two months).

A stage hazard confirmation for Ridley though can literally happen any day.

As I said, I am just glad we made it through August and September. Though I don't feel we're out of the woods yet, though who knows, maybe the Pyrosphere is going to be the first Metroid stage without a hazard, or maybe we will get a screenshot showing differing levels of lava.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Yeah.

However, due to how packed October and November are (Pokemon X/Y, Wii Party U, Super Mario 3D World, and A Link Between Worlds), I doubt we will get a playable confirmation for Ridley any time soon (or at least for the next two months).

A stage hazard confirmation for Ridley though can literally happen any day.

As I said, I am just glad we made it through August and September. Though I don't feel we're out of the woods yet, though who knows, maybe the Pyrosphere is going to be the first Metroid stage without a hazard, or maybe we will get a screenshot showing differing levels of lava.
If Ridley is a stage hazard he still has a chance because of toon link being confirmed as both a playable and a background for the spirit train stage

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Yeah, for some reason it's hard for me to imagine a playable Ridley and a hazard Ridley in the same Smash.

I think it's because unlike the case with the Toon Links, the Ridley on the stage would actually interact with fighters and have some actual major effects on the battle. That's why I can't imagine two Ridleys in one Smash.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
That Prime 3 stage looks sick. I really hope that the Prime games get some attention in Smash 4. Anyway, if Ridley is confirmed to be playable we might have to wait until December or so honestly.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Here's another size comparison image that I've set up, now comparing Ridley to Ganondorf and Mewtwo, along with Bowser...

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Guys, come on. You look super desperate when you claim that Ridley has any chance of being both a stage hazard and a fighter.

If he's confirmed as a hazard, let it go. We'll hope there's enough backlash to get him into Smash 5, or we'll hope for DLC, or we'll hope Project: M puts him in. But you're grasping if you think that a giant purple space dragon is going to be a hazard and a playable character.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I don't see a playable Ridley and stage hazard Ridley being in the same Smash game. If we see a stage hazard Ridley first, then I'm giving up on him.

But in the hypothetical situation that such a thing does happen, I'll pass out for a day.

Morbi

Scavenger
I don't see a playable Ridley and stage hazard Ridley being in the same Smash game. If we see a stage hazard Ridley first, then I'm giving up on him.

But in the hypothetical situation that such a thing does happen, I'll pass out for a day.
I think that Ridley should not only be playable... he should also be a boss character, an assist trophy, a stage hazard, a background character, and a Pokemon. Why? Because he is mother ****ing Ridley.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I think that Ridley should not only be playable... he should also be a boss character, an assist trophy, a stage hazard, a background character, and a Pokemon. Why? Because he is mother ****ing Ridley.
... I really want a pokemon based off Ridley now.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
He was always more similar to Aerodactyl or something than Charizard.

And yeah, people need to stop deluding themselves into thinking Ridley could be both a playable and hazard just because of Toon Link. If Ridley's a hazard the circumstances will be different than how they made TL part of a stage.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Yeah, for some reason it's hard for me to imagine a playable Ridley and a hazard Ridley in the same Smash.

I think it's because unlike the case with the Toon Links, the Ridley on the stage would actually interact with fighters and have some actual major effects on the battle. That's why I can't imagine two Ridleys in one Smash.

You mean like Donkey Kong in 75 Meters? Would all the Game and Watch guys count in flat zone?

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I think other M and brawl ridley look different enough, sakuri could definitely pull it off.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I think other M and brawl ridley look different enough, sakuri could definitely pull it off.

Not only do they look different, they are both physically different beings. One being the clone of another.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Just some food for thought, but whether organic/clone Ridley gets confirmed as a playable or hazard, anyone think they might still give Meta-Ridley his own separate role, or treat him as a separate entity like they kinda did in Brawl/SSE so to speak?

If organic/clone Ridley's revealed as a hazard, doubt Meta-Ridley will be playable of course, but maybe they'll make Meta reprise his role as a boss... or have him be a hazard on a different Metroid stage, likely in one of the Prime trilogy's environments. Would add insult to injury if clone Ridley's already a hazard on Pyrosphere, but eh, wouldn't be the first time Sakurai gave two different Ridleys the same role...

And Omega Ridley will probably be a non-factor again.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Okay, keep being delusional then.
It's not about being delusional. I don't think anyone is claiming Ridley will be in as a hazard and playable character. I'm just pointing out that a Ridley hazard does not mean an automatic no show for a playable Ridley when there others instances dealing with this exact situation.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
It's not about being delusional. I don't think anyone is claiming Ridley will be in as a hazard and playable character. I'm just pointing out that a Ridley hazard does not mean an automatic no show for a playable Ridley when there others instances dealing with this exact situation.
They're different situations though, mainly because in every other situation like this (Toon Link, DK, G&W), the art styles are quite different and clearly dated. We can get away with Toonie because WW Link and ST Link are quite clearly different. They wear different outfits, one of them is hideously blocky, and also ST Link doesn't look to be a stage hazard. Ridley's a different scenario here. Both Ridleys would have up-to-date models, and while they do look different, it's going to look weird having both of them right next to each other. Especially since they are literally the same character. Additionally, when everything else about Metroid currently shown is Other M based (and stressed to be such by Sakurai), having Other M Ridley be a stage hazard and then randomly having Super Metroid Ridley? Is weird.

Anyone who actually believes we'll get both is kidding themselves and grasping desperately at straws barely within their reach. If Ridley is a hazard, then we're not getting him playable.

And if I'm wrong, I'll gladly (a) eat my words and (b) celebrate with all of you.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Sad that while that was still happening, no one gave any input on my question/concern about Meta-Ridley's possible role for the game.

Just some food for thought, but whether organic/clone Ridley gets confirmed as a playable or hazard, anyone think they might still give Meta-Ridley his own separate role, or treat him as a separate entity like they kinda did in Brawl/SSE so to speak?

If organic/clone Ridley's revealed as a hazard, doubt Meta-Ridley will be playable of course, but maybe they'll make Meta reprise his role as a boss... or have him be a hazard on a different Metroid stage, likely in one of the Prime trilogy's environments. Would add insult to injury if clone Ridley's already a hazard on Pyrosphere, but eh, wouldn't be the first time Sakurai gave two different Ridleys the same role...

And Omega Ridley will probably be a non-factor again.
:( You guys suck.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I don't think Meta Ridley will have any role in this game, no reason to have the same bosses again, and if Ridley's a stage hazard it's obviously gonna be the clone. It made sense to have two Ridley boss battles in Brawl since there was a storyline, and it was the original Ridley too, but since it seems like we're not getting anything like that again, we're getting one Ridley this time, hopefully a playable one at that.

I for one would love Omega Ridley to have a role, always loved the design.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
If there is some type of adventure mode akin to Melee, I can still see them including certain bosses. I don't think they would go for Meta Ridley though on the basis of the Stage Hazard. You would probably fight Ridley just on the other Metroid Stage besides pyrosphere.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
You know what would be a neat idea? Having clone Ridley be the hazard (or playable, whatever worst case scenario) and show up normally. Then for boss battles, having it show up "regular" size, then watch it being infected by an X-Parasite, thus turning it into Neo-Ridley.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I don't think Meta Ridley will have any role in this game, no reason to have the same bosses again, and if Ridley's a stage hazard it's obviously gonna be the clone. It made sense to have two Ridley boss battles in Brawl since there was a storyline, and it was the original Ridley too, but since it seems like we're not getting anything like that again, we're getting one Ridley this time, hopefully a playable one at that.

I for one would love Omega Ridley to have a role, always loved the design.
jaytalks kinda summed up my thoughts on what they'll prolly do with Meta-Ridley in the game if he returns. Still see why you'd doubt Meta returning though, but it's not impossible either.

As for Omega Ridley I would too, but as far as Prime 3 goes we'll be lucky to even have the P.E.D. suit as a palette swap for Samus if you ask me, let alone something more like a stage. Still thinking Other M will be the only one of the post-Brawl Metroid games to get much content in SSB4...

If there is some type of adventure mode akin to Melee, I can still see them including certain bosses. I don't think they would go for Meta Ridley though on the basis of the Stage Hazard. You would probably fight Ridley just on the other Metroid Stage besides pyrosphere.
Well if there was an Artifact Temple stage or something Meta-Ridley would actually be plausible as a hazard, much as I hate to admit it... Other than that I agree.

You know what would be a neat idea? Having clone Ridley be the hazard (or playable, whatever worst case scenario) and show up normally. Then for boss battles, having it show up "regular" size, then watch it being infected by an X-Parasite, thus turning it into Neo-Ridley.
You had me completely up until the Neo Ridley/X-Parasite part. Neo Ridley was kinda cool, but also one of my least liked designs (for all the complaining there is about the Other M Ridley design, I like THAT better than Neo Ridley), and then there's that awful banshee scream it had in Fusion...

Well I guess not everything about it would be the same when being translated into Smash anyway, so who knows; your idea would might make me like the X mimic Ridley a little more. :p Considering how creepy they made the SA-X (at least during a close-up to the face), they could've made Ridley-X more "scary".

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Yeah, I'd like to see Omega Ridley in some way. If Ridley is playable, I'd like to see his Meta and Omega forms as alternate costumes. If not, maybe one of them could be a boss.

And I also hated the screams Neo Ridley had on Fusion. (IIRC the original Ridley had the same screams in Zero Mission)

Top Bottom