• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

I'd rather not let him in the game. It's just depressing to see him not playable.

But hey, look at the brightside. He's too big for the game anyway which is why he's somewhere in the world

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What the hell is the point of the hole, and why the hell are we even being shown the hole?

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
No need to worry about the hole.
It's nothing but Sakurai showing us that they add details to areas of stages that we don't care about.

Nobody is going to pick the stage to look extensively at the corridor.

Ridley1994

Smash Cadet
I'm afraid I'll have to go with hating the stage hazard Ridley over no Ridley. Though you didn't say anything against Him appearing as a trophy. Melee pulled a no show Ridey except the opening and a trophy.

Groose

Smash Champion
Sakurai shows off every inch of the Pyrosphere stage (he seems very proud of it), yet he doesn't do so nearly as much for other stages. Hmmm.

See... this picture. This picture is exactly why I'm letting go of my playable Ridley expectations. I'm not letting go of my hope; I'm letting go of my expectations. I just don't know what to expect anymore.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I am starting to think Sakurai has no idea that Ridley is as wanted as he is, else he would not be tormenting the Ridley fanbase as much as he is right now.

As I said yesterday, we keep fighting the good fight until we get hit with an ugly duck-faced stage hazard for a stage based on a mediocre game (or hopefully an awesome playable confirmation of an awesome space dragon).

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I am starting to think Sakurai has no idea that Ridley is as wanted as he is, else he would not be tormenting the Ridley fanbase as much as he is right now.

As I said yesterday, we keep fighting the good fight until we get hit with an ugly duck-faced stage hazard for a stage based on a mediocre game (or hopefully an awesome playable confirmation of an awesome space dragon).
Sakurai knows the demand. Not only has he been confronted face first with it, but there's a reason Ridley was put in two boss battles in Brawl and he has already been referred to. They study people's wishes hard, as you can see with Mega Man, Sonic, and most of the Brawl newcomers too. He no doubt knows the demand. If Ridley is playable, then this is just teasing, something every developer does all the time to get people worked up. If he isn't, then I'm not sure why he'd refer to Ridley in such a mysterious way, the rest of the Pyrosphere images can simply be labelled as showcase images for the stage and nothing more.

Think about it, even if Ridley isn't playable, this is a way of getting people to talk about the game, and thus creating a lot of hype. If Ridley isn't a character, then yeah it'd feel a bit mean-spirited, but that's business for you. If Ridley is playable, then duh, the teasing would be a genius move by Sakurai, having people talk about one of the most wanted characters, and currently the most wanted newcomer in the west, is a sure-fire way to get people worked up, especially since Ridley is so controversial to begin with, only to reveal him later and make people feel double as good about it.

By the way, since Sakurai loves to stress everything from Metroid is from Other M, do expect the duck-face no matter his role.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Apparently Ridley being missing is going to deteriorate the quality of the games. I mean, if the sap says so it must be true.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Apparently Ridley being missing is going to deteriorate the quality of the games. I mean, if the sap says so it must be true.
It's not going to take away from the quality of the game, however, his inclusion would greatly up the quality of the roster, especially in the balance department. I can't see what's wrong with wanting the roster to be the best it can possibly be, and I'm not sure why we have to go over this again.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Yeah, and when we get no DK newcomer, Mario newcomer, or Palutena, I bet you will still say the same thing.

Meanwhile, Smash 4 Wii U will go on to be the worst selling game in the series despite what all the Sakurai synchophants say about character choices not mattering.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
People hoped (on their knees praying) for Ridley and Toad last time around. There are hints in the Miiverse reveals that both may have similar fates yet again.
And yet Toad was more likely to be stuck as one of Peach's attacks. I try not to let Sakurai's quotes discourage my thoughts on Ridley, as he's not the only villain that Samus had to deal with.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
If Ridley is a stage hazard, I also hope he shows up as an Assist Trophy too in Smash 4, that way Sakurai finally runs out of nonplayable roles he can fit Ridley into.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
And yet Toad was more likely to be stuck as one of Peach's attacks. I try not to let Sakurai's quotes discourage my thoughts on Ridley, as he's not the only villain that Samus had to deal with.
I'm still certain that the quote was refering to what happened in Other M, as he always points out what originally happens at the location with new stages. The quote no doubt refers to Ridley, but probably not in the way many have been led to believe.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
I know it's REALLY hard to think this way right now, but what if he put focus on the hole because we'll have to escape through it when the lava gets to high? It's the only reason I can think of for mentioning how much space is in there.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I think that hole is just a way for Sakurai to show us the evolution of the stage graphics, and that he's able to do more than he ever could for Brawl.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I know it's REALLY hard to think this way right now, but what if he put focus on the hole because we'll have to escape through it when the lava gets to high? It's the only reason I can think of for mentioning how much space is in there.

He also states you can't normally see the hole in the game; he's just showing off the amount of work and polish that's been put into the stage that we won't get to see in the heat of battle, and only barely notice if we turn the camera in pause mode because it's far in the background. We'd notice if it looked bad, but without a close up we won't realise how good it looks. The size is just an observation, which makes sense because it's a background element, and if it were normal player character size then it'd be barely visible way in the background like it is.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
He also states you can't normally see the hole in the game; he's just showing off the amount of work and polish that's been put into the stage that we won't get to see in the heat of battle, and only barely notice if we turn the camera in pause mode because it's far in the background. We'd notice if it looked bad, but without a close up we won't realise how good it looks. The size is just an observation, which makes sense because it's a background element, and if it were normal player character size then it'd be barely visible way in the background like it is.
Yeah, he also did this with one of the new Smashvilles, and also for Mega Man's Mega Buster. It's just another case of this.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So, a hole as update. Who's still having hope? Cause it'll border on desperation right now.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
So, a hole as update. Who's still having hope? Cause it'll border on desperation right now.
Yeah, because you know, Sakurai loves hyping up stage hazards :rolleyes:

I've said it time and time again, and it seems like I'll have to further say it. If Ridley was a stage hazard, he'd have been shown before we saw 6 images of the same stage. If he was a stage hazard he wouldn't peer down into either the hole or the lava without actually showing Ridley. The quote was refering to what happened in Other M, nothing to do with Smash Bros itself, or how the stage will function. At this point people just think what they want to, not what's logical and about how Sakurai usually handles his business, that goes for us all, he's having us at a complete loss at the moment.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You can't be real serious there... I mean, did Sakurai already show 6 pics of other stage hazards? We know the Nintendog is one for example, and we've known that since the trailer. Yet, no pics. It's also highly likely at least the Pilot Wings stage will have stage hazards but did we see a pic? No.

Ridley will come out of that hole.

And he won't be playable.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Okay guys, here's a theory for you all to grasp: Ridley will be confirmed or deconfirmed when Sakurai confirms or deconfirms him.

I personally am finding Ridley less likely than a few months ago, but I'm not counting my chickens yet. Just wait for Sakurai to show us something.

Your avatar, signature and posts scare me now.

I think that hole is just a way for Sakurai to show us the evolution of the stage graphics, and that he's able to do more than he ever could for Brawl.
Looks like it but..... It doesn't look that good in my opinion. Just sayin'
I try not to let Sakurai's quotes discourage my thoughts on Ridley, as he's not the only villain that Samus had to deal with.
The problem is, it can't be anyone else. It had to be in THAT stage. Of all the damn stages you could choose and of all words you can use to give a description, he chooses the pyrosphere and says of ALL THINGS that happened also in game (Other M), "An enemy from Samus' past may appear any.... Forgot the rest". Not saying that he's deconfirmed but this quote definitely is saying something.

Pessimism is conquering over me but I'll stay hopeful for Ridley and Toad but with the usual finger cross.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
You can't be real serious there... I mean, did Sakurai already show 6 pics of other stage hazards? We know the Nintendog is one for example, and we've known that since the trailer. Yet, no pics. It's also highly likely at least the Pilot Wings stage will have stage hazards but did we see a pic? No.

Ridley will come out of that hole.

And he won't be playable.
Keep believing that dude. Fact lies that we haven't seen a single picture of the Nintendogs stage since E3 (and for all we know the dog isn't going to be a hazard, but merely a background element.) The Pilotwings stage's hazard lies in the tilting planes and how you have to switch planes at given times. So yes, we have seen the hazards and core elements of those stages. We have seen the core elements of all stages now, the hazards are the core elements of the stages, and they're shown within a very short amount of time. We've been to every corner of the Pyrosphere stage, we've seen it from every angle, we've even peaked straight down into the hole now, no Ridley to spot, and he isn't going come out of the thin air you know.

But as I said, you keep believing that, then come back here once Ridley's role is revealed, no matter if he's a boss or whatever, I'm very certain that you won't get far with it. But hey, knowing how steadfast you are with your opinions, I'm not gonna try to win you over, you are after all the guy who still believes in Anthony and Impa's chances after having taked a lot of **** from other people, which isn't a bad thing mind you, it's good to have such tenacity and believe in the things you think.

But as I said, you keep believing that, then come back here once Ridley's role is revealed, no matter if he's a boss or whatever, I'm very certain that you won't get far with it. But hey, knowing how steadfast you are with your opinions, I'm not gonna try to win you over, you are after all the guy who still believes in Anthony and Impa's chances after having taked a lot of **** from other people, which isn't a bad thing mind you, it's good to have such tenacity and believe in the things you think.
Mmmmm... Don't pelt me for getting the wrong idea (In case you aren't meaning it negatively) but even though I'm not the moderator or anything (Nor do I care if I'm tagged as some white knight), please keep things clean and avoid getting foul.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Mmmmm... Don't pelt me for getting the wrong idea (In case you aren't meaning it negatively) but even though I'm not the moderator or anything (Nor do I care if I'm tagged as some white knight), please keep things clean and avoid getting foul.
I didn't mean the last thing negatively at all, I meant it as a thing I actually admire about his posting, that he always stands tall regarding what he believes. I had a hard time wording it though, so I can see why it could be misinterpreted in a quite nasty way.

I didn't mean the last thing negatively at all, I meant it as a thing I actually admire about his posting, that he always stands tall regarding what he believes. I had a hard time wording it though, so I can see why it could be misinterpreted in a quite nasty way.
It's alright. That's what matters anyway :)

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Anyone have any idea when the next Direct is? Maybe we would get more information there.
As BluePikmin11 said, could be next month. However, as we all know, next month is Poké-month (and Sonic too) so Ridley wouldn't really be at home in a Direct like that. I'm not expecting a newcomer, let alone Ridley, for the rest of the year, September was the month if anything I felt.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Yeah, and when we get no DK newcomer, Mario newcomer, or Palutena, I bet you will still say the same thing.

Meanwhile, Smash 4 Wii U will go on to be the worst selling game in the series despite what all the Sakurai synchophants say about character choices not mattering.
Uh...

Okay, I'll give you that it may be true for the Wii U version, and SmashBoards praises Sakurai WAY too much and thinks he does like 50% of the game or something, but assuming the 3DS version gets good reviews (Nobody has said if it's awkward yet or not from actually playing it), there's no way it'll be the worst selling one.

?????????????

Smash Master
The hole? It means absolutely nothing. We already knew there was a hole in the stage. It's no different from any other picture of the Pyrosphere we've already seen. They all look nice, and they all DON'T picture Ridley.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
The hole? It means absolutely nothing. We already knew there was a hole in the stage. It's no different from any other picture of the Pyrosphere we've already seen. They all look nice, and they all DON'T picture Ridley.
Actually no, they all featured a different hole. Granted, if you look at the first pic we got of pyrosphere, Ridley doesn't really fit out of there:

And they said "A long time enemy"?. Because yes, the holes are the enemy. It's definitely not 100% Ridley yet or even close, but the fact that every other villain there literally DOESN'T appear much is baffling already.

Also, just gonna throw this out here because nobody else has, but it's very possible that they forgo him as a stage background and as playable. I'm not saying they will, especially with the bigger focus on character requests, but many character requests for Brawl that weren't tuned down to Assist Trophies got even worse. Hell, some of them weren't even mentioned

also washington the state is awesome wish I were there

okay i'm done for a while time for my walk

Top Bottom