• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I do think, if Ridley happens to be a stage hazard, he'll be shown as such during a new trailer, rather than a mere update (like a higher-profile Yellow Devil). It would essentially be a half-arsed way of giving him a character-esque reveal, without him actually being a character. I'll echo SSBF in claiming this could backfire in terms of people being pissed by the anti-climatic nature this would have, but I see it as Sakurai's way of trying to appease the Ridley fans he knows he's letting down, kind of like making him two bosses instead of an Assist Trophy may have been.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I do think, if Ridley happens to be a stage hazard, he'll be shown as such during a new trailer, rather than a mere update (like a higher-profile Yellow Devil). It would essentially be a half-arsed way of giving him a character-esque reveal, without him actually being a character. I'll echo SSBF in claiming this could backfire in terms of people being pissed by the anti-climatic nature this would have, but I see it as Sakurai's way of trying to appease the Ridley fans he knows he's letting down, kind of like making him two bosses instead of an Assist Trophy may have been.
I mean, who wants to end the hype of something that is very evidently hyped up by letting everyone down, especially when we still haven't paid money for this=???

It just isn't good business.

If Ridley was a stage hazard or non-playable character, just outright showing him in such a form from the get-go would be the way to go in order to get the bad taste out of our mouths (over time).

Ridley1994

Smash Cadet
Regardless people will be disappointed and upset with that outcome.

D

Deleted member

And to counter the point about how Sakurai has never hyped an unrevealed character before, that's a lie.
He tends to do it a lot for veterans, but I distinctly remember a Newcomer example.

This quote here:
"...That said, there is one character who has a rather unusual method by which they can distinguish friend from foe..."
This was on the Feb 8th 2008 update on the Dojo. It was clearly referring to this scene in the SSE:

...where Lucario uses Aura to determine Snake as an ally and the Primids as enemies.
But, when Sakurai stated this quote, Lucario had not been officially revealed on the Dojo, as he wasn't added to it until Feb 28th.

There are probably more examples on the Melee website, but I'm not willing to read through 100's of pages of Japanese text to find out.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
People that still think that Ridley is gonna be a stage hazard on Pyrosphere are incredibly gullible. Just give it up, because he's not there. If he was on there, then he'd be revealed by now, since he'd be the main mechanic of the stage. If he isn't programmed yet, then they wouldn't have shown the stage in an incomplete stage. The quote was targeted towards what happened in Other M, just like every other quote about a stage has been targeted towards the source game the stage comes from.

Haters and detractors better start rooting for him as a boss again, because one train has already run its course, and it's at least a realistic thing to root for, because the other thing is all but debunked, and you're simply coming off as gullible if you use that as your argument by now.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Wariofan is right.

As vague as Sakurai's quotes can be, why would they wait this long to reveal him as a mere stage hazard? Even if he's not playable, it's unlikely he'll be a stage hazard.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Regardless people will be disappointed and upset with that outcome.
Honestly, the people who would be upset if Ridley was playable are so minute they aren't even worth mentioning.

It's like mentioning all of the anti-Diddy Kong people (lol Japanese Nintendo studio purists), whom were very vocal in their hatred of Diddy Kong pre-Brawl, all of whom shut up and/or disappeared once Diddy Kong was confirmed, all of whom were just a few small numbers compare to the millions and millions of smash fans.

D

Deleted member

Any chance we could see a Nintendo Direct around Tokyo Game Show? I really want to find out whenever or not Ridley is going to be in. However, if we get nothing until this week, then I think it's going to be a long and painful wait if he's playable.

Edit: On second thought, nvm. Forgot Peach was revealed this month.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
If the next major trailer or footage reveals more than one new character, I'll be quite upset if Ridley isn't one of them.

I fear the wait to find out what Ridley is in the game is going to be a long one.

Tesh

Smash Hero
People that still think that Ridley is gonna be a stage hazard on Pyrosphere are incredibly gullible. Just give it up, because he's not there. If he was on there, then he'd be revealed by now, since he'd be the main mechanic of the stage. If he isn't programmed yet, then they wouldn't have shown the stage in an incomplete stage. The quote was targeted towards what happened in Other M, just like every other quote about a stage has been targeted towards the source game the stage comes from.

Haters and detractors better start rooting for him as a boss again, because one train has already run its course, and it's at least a realistic thing to root for, because the other thing is all but debunked, and you're simply coming off as gullible if you use that as your argument by now.

No new stage has been shown in its entirety. For all we know he is a stage hazard like the Yellow Devil we saw in the megaman trailer and they just dont want to reveal it.

What makes you think they wont show something unfinished? Every company does this all the time. I like Ridley too, but a few pictures don't tell you how the entire stage works.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Masahiro Sakurai said:
I don't like it when a tweet or whatever leads to needless speculation getting spread around
Masahiro Sakurai said:
Then people fan the flames on it, people start to think it's really true, people get angry about it. Nobody benefits.
Straight from the horses mouth. If you take a quote from Sakurai and (mis)interpret it to be a straight-up confirmation of a characters inclusion/exclusion, you are literally what Sakurai hates about the fanbase.

Cut it out. Wait for pictorial evidence before saying things - otherwise you're a douche and Sakurai is displeased.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Straight from the horses mouth. If you take a quote from Sakurai and (mis)interpret it to be a straight-up confirmation of a characters inclusion/exclusion, you are literally what Sakurai hates about the fanbase.

Cut it out. Wait for pictorial evidence before saying things - otherwise you're a douche and Sakurai is displeased.
Who cares what Sakurai says in regards to how we act=???

He's not some God we worship at the alter of. He's a man who sweats, bleeds, and breathes all the same.

And to be quite frank, he's mostly referring to fanboys, children, and criers, none of which are us Ridley fans posting here.

You can't just blanket that statement and apply it to anyone who talks. If everyone acted like that, no one would get an opinion.

Plus saying that is just plain douchey, and makes you come across as a know-it-all holier than thou douche, and that's the bottom line.
There are probably more examples on the Melee website, but I'm not willing to read through 100's of pages of Japanese text to find out.
There was another one on the Brawl Dojo.

"Ness, who has been playable in every Smash Bros. game up until now".

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I didn't want any of this speculation.

Can everyone just agree that Sakurai's comment means nothing towards Ridley's inclusion as either a character or hazard?

Though, I do still think it would be unusual to wait this long to reveal Ridley as nothing more than a hazard.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Who cares what Sakurai says in regards to how we act=???

Honestly, he's mostly referring to fanboys, children, and criers, none of which are us Ridley fans posting here.

You can't just blanket that statement and apply it to anyone who talks. You come across as a know-it-all douche.

See, we actually care about gameplay, not just a popularity contest, which is funny, because Ridley has won several popularity contests, often thanks to the unique moveset, playstyle, and skillset he would inevitably bring that no other character have. So literally Ridley has the best of both worlds even if we don't care about one of them! :laugh:

There was another one on the Brawl Dojo.

"Ness, who has been playable in every Smash Bros. game up until now".
The Sakurai statements were aimed at the anti-Ridley "Sakurai said it, he must be deconfirmed" brigade - not to Ridley supporters.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The Sakurai statements were aimed at the anti-Ridley "Sakurai said it, he must be deconfirmed" brigade - not to Ridley supporters.
Well in that case, I will insult you harder.
Your mother has a good, high paying job.
Your dad has good cooking.
Your sister is great at football.
Your brother looks good in a dress.

CalumG

Smash Lord
I do think those quotes hold some relevance though, because it's effectively Sakurai saying "don't take the sh*t I say too seriously/literally"... which everybody has done from the second he first posted Pyrosphere.

Of course, the irony here is that I'm using and interpreting Sakurai quotes to show that you shouldn't take Sakurai quotes too seriously. So if people who do that are douches, then I'm the king of the douches. :p

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I think that's enough speculation for one night.

Now for a hypothetical question:

Ridley gets in, but the Smash series continues, and the 4th game is the only one he will ever be playable in.

How would you feel about this?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Of course, the irony here is that I'm using and interpreting Sakurai quotes to show that you shouldn't take Sakurai quotes too seriously. So if people who do that are douches, then I'm the king of the douches. :p
I like how I've never said the word douche on Smash Boards until you did, and now, all of a sudden, we're all saying douche.

And now I am abusing gifs... :facepalm:

ABUSE HARDER!!!! (that's what she said!) :shades: :grin: :rotfl: :chuckle: :grrr:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I think that's enough speculation for one night.

Now for a hypothetical question:

Ridley gets in, but the Smash series continues, and the 4th game is the only one he will ever be playable in.

How would you feel about this?

Like Mewtwo before him, he's too good for this ****.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
No new stage has been shown in its entirety. For all we know he is a stage hazard like the Yellow Devil we saw in the megaman trailer and they just dont want to reveal it.

What makes you think they wont show something unfinished? Every company does this all the time. I like Ridley too, but a few pictures don't tell you how the entire stage works.
Sakurai has hardly ever shown anything that is unfinished, and if he has he has said that it isn't finished yet, like with Peach. If it wasn't finished, then he wouldn't have shown it this early. Of course we can't always predict Sakurai and all, but there's absolutely no reason he shouldn't have shown the stage's main mechanic when he has shown us the stage as many times as he has. Especially not if he has outright stated that Ridley is a stage hazard, then there'd be absolutely no reason to hold it off until this late.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Sakurai has hardly ever shown anything that is unfinished, and if he has he has said that it isn't finished yet, like with Peach. If it wasn't finished, then he wouldn't have shown it this early. Of course we can't always predict Sakurai and all, but there's absolutely no reason he shouldn't have shown the stage's main mechanic when he has shown us the stage as many times as he has. Especially not if he has outright stated that Ridley is a stage hazard, then there'd be absolutely no reason to hold it off until this late.
Sakurai shows us things that aren't visually finished, but are pretty close to it. As incomplete as say Link and Peach can look at times graphically, that doesn't mean that are super far away from it. As long as the basics are down and there's no huge graphical errors like clipping and the likes, there's nothing wrong with showing stuff off.

The problem is still what it always was: these 2 games are at best a year out from being released, and at worst about a 18-20 month wait out from being released.
Like Mewtwo before him, he's too good for this ****.
Let's keep that generic robotic boy that no one cares about.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
ROB in Portal 3=???

PREPOSTEROUS!!! EVERYONE KNOWS VALVE IS ALLERGIC TO A DEADLY DEGREE TO THE NUMBER, LETTER, AND GANG SIGN THREE!!!
How many GIFs do you keep anyway broknight? This is A LOT
Random google search brah. I just type in what comes to mind. The only gifs I have bookmarked are the Jim Carey one I use a lot and this gif...

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

Because GIFs are overrated, though I approve of the Rogue one.

wildvine47

Smash Ace

Well the (pretty relevant to this thread) image of the day is up on Miiverse.

Here's the quote on it: "Pic of the day. Inside the corridor along one of the walls in Pyrosphere, a view that's really not visible in-game. You can't tell from the picture, but it's actually a gigantic open space."

What d'ya think, fellow Ridleyites?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Oh look, a hole!

"Pic of the day. Inside the corridor along one of the walls in Pyrosphere, a view that's really not visible in-game. You can't tell from the picture, but it's actually a gigantic open space."

Knew I was right not to count him out in being a hazard just yet... Well let the ****fest begin again.

I hate being ninja'd.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
"Inside the corridor along one of the walls in Pyrosphere, a view that's really not visible in-game. You can't tell from the picture, but it's actually a gigantic open space."
I realize Sakurai loves playing games, but this is getting ridiculous.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Isn't that just where the hole leads to in Other M? I don't think this means much.

Top Bottom