• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

?????????????

Smash Master
Actually no, they all featured a different hole. Granted, if you look at the first pic we got of pyrosphere, Ridley doesn't really fit out of there:

And they said "A long time enemy"?. Because yes, the holes are the enemy. It's definitely not 100% Ridley yet or even close, but the fact that every other villain there literally DOESN'T appear much is baffling already.
Still a hole. Holes being on the Pyrosphere stage is no new information. Just a close-up. Obviously, that first quote regarding the Pyrosphere refers to Ridley. That's nothing new either. What isn't known is what Ridley's role will be. All today says is, "Inside the corridor along one of the walls in Pyrosphere, a view that's really not visible in-game. You can't tell from the picture, but it's actually a gigantic open space."

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
We did see the very same hole in the picture of Donkey Kong owning the Mario Bros. Like pizzadudemanguy says, it's just a hole, and we already knew it was there.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
As BluePikmin11 said, could be next month. However, as we all know, next month is Poké-month (and Sonic too) so Ridley wouldn't really be at home in a Direct like that. I'm not expecting a newcomer, let alone Ridley, for the rest of the year, September was the month if anything I felt.

Next Month is also the start of the Golden Quarter (I believe yanks call it the Christmas Creep? That just sounds like a paedo in a Santa suit to me, but I digress). It's standard to make big updates so I highly suspect a general direct, probably with Pokémon, Sonic and Wii U Party as the big stars; and in usual direct style Smash news at the end, probably leading on from those with Trailers of PKMN Trainer/Mewtwo and/or Sonic, or at least reveals and screenshots.

It would make more sense to put a 'New Challenger Approaching' at the end of a general direct with a bit of smash news than in a dead month like September, they certainly couldn't put Ridley after a focused direct like Pokémon, Monster Hunter or today's Wii Fit U. If they had put him this month (well unless they release the Golden Quarter direct on the 27th for advent) it would have to be a Smash direct, and it's way too early for that imho.

If it's Ridley is the big question, but with all the pictures of pyrosphere he certainly has a shot if he gets in. I think his biggest competitor is Mewtwo, who is a veteran, but could easily be treated as a newcomer for all the hype he'll bring; but that said if they want to reveal Ridley, Mewtwo is the best partner given how wanted he is in Japan, and how Ridley isn't, and is even disliked by a vocal minority [both sides of the world it seems, but moreso japan]. Mewtwo/Ridley is how I would make a reveal, with Sonic there as the segway into Smash Bros related news (though given his third party status I think he deserves a trailer too).

Kamiko

Smash Ace
You know what would be great? If we could go back to talking about how awesome Ridley would be as a playable character.

Has anyone thought about what should be done with his tail when it's not being used? I think it could be kept fairly straight now that symmetrical characters flip their pose when they turn. The tail would never have to leave the background.

?????????????

Smash Master
You know what would be great? If we could go back to talking about how awesome Ridley would be as a playable character.

Has anyone thought about what should be done with his tail when it's not being used? I think it could be kept fairly straight now that symmetrical characters flip their pose when they turn. The tail would never have to leave the background.
Sometimes, people confront me on how Ridley would work; that even if he were a reasonable size, the tail and wings would get in the way because of how big they would be.

For the tail, I say it depends on Ridley's stance. If he's upright, it can be placed on the ground to the side, semi-coiled around where his feet are. That way, it doesn't interfere, and is only used for attacking. If he's on all fours, it can stick straight out in front above his head, scorpion style.

As for the wings, they can either extend into the foreground and background so that they're out of the way, or they can be small like Super Metroid's Ridley.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
The likelihood of Ridley jokes continuing tonight is 83.62 percent.

The likelihood of Johnknight posting more gifs is 99.52 percent.

You will all continue to speculate if Ridley is going to be a character or not.

Smash 4 will most likely not have a good title.

The likelihood of Ridley being too big is 95.61 percent.

The likelihood of butthurt occuring if Ridley is not included is 21.55 percent.

The Fact Sphere is the most intelligent sphere.

The Fact Sphere is the most handsome sphere.

The Fact Sphere is incredibly handsome.

The Fact Sphere is always right.

The likelihood of me posting a trollface in this post is 1 percent.

:troll:
start at 0:05

how many times do we have to keep putting this up

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Next Month is also the start of the Golden Quarter (I believe yanks call it the Christmas Creep? That just sounds like a paedo in a Santa suit to me, but I digress). It's standard to make big updates so I highly suspect a general direct, probably with Pokémon, Sonic and Wii U Party as the big stars; and in usual direct style Smash news at the end, probably leading on from those with Trailers of PKMN Trainer/Mewtwo and/or Sonic, or at least reveals and screenshots.

It would make more sense to put a 'New Challenger Approaching' at the end of a general direct with a bit of smash news than in a dead month like September, they certainly couldn't put Ridley after a focused direct like Pokémon, Monster Hunter or today's Wii Fit U. If they had put him this month (well unless they release the Golden Quarter direct on the 27th for advent) it would have to be a Smash direct, and it's way too early for that imho.

If it's Ridley is the big question, but with all the pictures of pyrosphere he certainly has a shot if he gets in. I think his biggest competitor is Mewtwo, who is a veteran, but could easily be treated as a newcomer for all the hype he'll bring; but that said if they want to reveal Ridley, Mewtwo is the best partner given how wanted he is in Japan, and how Ridley isn't, and is even disliked by a vocal minority [both sides of the world it seems, but moreso japan]. Mewtwo/Ridley is how I would make a reveal, with Sonic there as the segway into Smash Bros related news (though given his third party status I think he deserves a trailer too).
The reason I thought it could be September wouldn't be in time with a Direct, but simply as a ordinary character reveal in place of Peach. Though we of course don't know how newcomer reveals will function.

Would make sense to make a general direct at the start of the Golden Quarter seeing how much stuff is being released. I imagine Pokémon Trainer to be the next veteran reveal, given the Kanto starters' importance in X & Y and to not blow two of the biggest hype builders too early. Still, not keeping my hopes up.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Sometimes, people confront me on how Ridley would work; that even if he were a reasonable size, the tail and wings would get in the way because of how big they would be.

For the tail, I say it depends on Ridley's stance. If he's upright, it can be placed on the ground to the side, semi-coiled around where his feet are. That way, it doesn't interfere, and is only used for attacking. If he's on all fours, it can stick straight out in front above his head, scorpion style.

As for the wings, they can either extend into the foreground and background so that they're out of the way, or they can be small like Super Metroid's Ridley.
Well the problem with coiling the tail up is that it would look really stupid when he's moving.

The wings are easy to deal with though. Both of what you said would work just fine. Someone said a little while back that they could get bigger when in use. I know there are people who'll argue to the ends of the Earth and back again that it'll "ruin his character" or something, but it happens in Smash Bros. all the time already.

?????????????

Smash Master
The wings are easy to deal with though. Both of what you said would work just fine. Someone said a little while back that they could get bigger when in use. I know there are people who'll argue to the ends of the Earth and back again that it'll "ruin his character" or something, but it happens in Smash Bros. all the time already.
Right? There's so many other unexplained things that I don't get why Ridley is the one people get so sensitive about. Mario can use fireballs without a fire flower. Kirby can spontaneously use copy abilities. Pikachu somehow knows a combination of Thunder Jolt, Skull Bash, and Volt Tackle. Peach pulls Toad out of nowhere. Olimar is giant. And yet people have a consistency problem with Ridley? What's the difference, what's the big deal, why should anyone care? No one gives a **** about any other inconsistency.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Right? There's so many other unexplained things that I don't get why Ridley is the one people get so sensitive about. Mario can use fireballs without a fire flower. Kirby can spontaneously use copy abilities. Pikachu somehow knows a combination of Thunder Jolt, Skull Bash, and Volt Tackle. Peach pulls Toad out of nowhere. Olimar is giant. And yet people have a consistency problem with Ridley? What's the difference, what's the big deal, why should anyone care? No one gives a **** about any other inconsistency.
I think this is where Oasis is supposed to come in and give the "too cool" explaination, and then someone talks about Ganondorf slipping on bananas. Really, does no one even realize just how enormous Ridley's head is in his own games? It's already pretty comical.

?????????????

Smash Master
I think this is where Oasis is supposed to come in and give the "too cool" explaination, and then someone talks about Ganondorf slipping on bananas. Really, does no one even realize just how enormous Ridley's head is in his own games? It's already pretty comical.
'bout as big as his stomach. Boy needs to, I say, needs to eat more.

...trying to do an impression of Foghorn Leghorn doesn't really work in text...

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
The reason I thought it could be September wouldn't be in time with a Direct, but simply as a ordinary character reveal in place of Peach. Though we of course don't know how newcomer reveals will function.

Would make sense to make a general direct at the start of the Golden Quarter seeing how much stuff is being released. I imagine Pokémon Trainer to be the next veteran reveal, given the Kanto starters' importance in X & Y and to not blow two of the biggest hype builders too early. Still, not keeping my hopes up.

I thought Sakurai said he was going to do a full motion trailer for all newcomers (much like the three he's already shown [even if villager's is kinda slapped onto the game trailer]), sadly I don't have a source so I may be wrong, but I have a memory of reading that somewhere. If that were the case I think it's a fairly clear point that they'll be revealed in a Pokémon Direct...

As for the hype, do you mean Sonic and Mewtwo or Ridley and Mewtwo?

Kamiko

Smash Ace
'bout as big as his stomach. Boy needs to, I say, needs to eat more.

...trying to do an impression of Foghorn Leghorn doesn't really work in text...
Although that impression's great, I'm actually not quite sure what you're trying to say with it. To clarify, I was refering to his sidescrolling appearances. The Primes have him proportioned just fine. Other M Ridley is... Other M Ridley.

?????????????

Smash Master
Although that impression's great, I'm actually not quite sure what you're trying to say with it. To clarify, I was refering to his sidescrolling appearances. The Primes have him proportioned just fine. Other M Ridley is... Other M Ridley.
Yeah.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Does anyone know when the Tokyo game show starts? Maybe we some info around that time. Be it character related or not. Anyways, I still think Ridley still has a chance at being playable, or at least something more significant than a stage hazard. I just don't see any kind of character being "hyped up" that much for being a stage hazard. Yeah, I get that he was mentioned, but so was Viridi right? As far as I know she hasn't shown up within the Kid Icarus stage yet. So despite being mentioned(in fact a little more indirectly than Viridi)It's seems possible that Ridley doesn't have to be present within a stage that he featured him in at all. It's possible just not necessary.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Does anyone know when the Tokyo game show starts? Maybe we some info around that time. Be it character related or not. Anyways, I still think Ridley still has a chance at being playable, or at least something more significant than a stage hazard. I just don't see any kind of character being "hyped up" that much for being a stage hazard. Yeah, I get that he was mentioned, but so was Viridi right? As far as I know she hasn't shown up within the Kid Icarus stage yet.
I'm pretty sure its the 19-22. And on the 21 Capcom is showing off a new game. Some sort of hype!

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm pretty sure its the 19-22. And on the 21 Capcom is showing off a new game. Some sort of hype!

Let me check my calender. Oh S#!t!
EDIT: Nevermind that then. Still I wonder what Capcom has up their sleeves. Maybe it's Megaman? Monster Hunter? Veiwtiful Joe? The 5th USF4 character?

D

Deleted member

@RidleyPrime, I'm sorry, but I had to do this, this is how I saw your post.

Now we know what Peach was doing yesterday. :troll:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Apparently Ridley being missing is going to deteriorate the quality of the games. I mean, if the sap says so it must be true.
I actually do think Ridley not being playable will deteriorate the quality of the game because it will mean we have an inferior roster in terms of how characters play with their moveset, skillset, playstyle, and how diverse they are.

I mean, getting ROB with his crappy moveset and a total camper did make Brawl a less enjoyable game and gave it IMO a wasted character spot, which IMO made the quality of the game worse (on top of a barrage of other stupid garbage, like Lucario being fairly generic and Pit's moves being flat out stupid and weird in all the wrong ways).

Ridley could so easily add so much to the game that probably no other potential newcomer (sans maybe like K. Rool, Shulk, or some wacky random character Sakurai has up his sleeve) has that not adding him definitely would dilute the quality of the game because it makes the roster that much more inferior (unless he was totally screwed up like Bowser has been in Melee and Brawl).

And looking at the originality of the characters thus far (all 3 being unlike anything we've seen before in smash), and how they're all from noticeable franchises, and I can't help but remain confident that Ridley will be playable because he fits into both of those categories very well, especially the former. And on top of that, he's a true evil villain character (as third koopa pointed out; he's not comical like Bowser or a half-hearted antagonist like Dedede), which Smash is sorely lacking.

All those reasons are why I remain confident Ridley will be playable, along with the fact Sakurai even is teasing him in the first place (who teases NPC's=???).

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Dude, it doesn't matter, just add a pile of s**t to the roster. You may not like it at first, but at least its gameplay will be original and you'll learn to love its charm.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well John, apperantly not. Cause Villager, Wii Fit Trainer and MegaMan are apperantly 'fun'.

Also, I don't think R.O.B.'s inclusion ruined anything in Brawl. Lucario's gimmick was bad yeah, but still.

You also seem to underestimate the problems Ridley could face. Especially in balancing the character. Great power, great speed, great range, great recovery. Broken as Mega Metal MetaKnight. ... Almost.

I'm not seeing it happen. Sakurai and team clearly cannot handle a project as a playable Ridley yet.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
I feel like Sakurai is tormenting me specifically.
Sakurai is being particularly brutal with his torture of Ridley fans. You would think he would just deal the blow swiftly and cleanly, like he (kinda?) did for the Toad supporters. It is pretty strange, even by Sakurai standards. What's his angle?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Dude, it doesn't matter, just add a pile of s**t to the roster. You may not like it at first, but at least its gameplay will be original and you'll learn to love its charm.
Not really. I mean, ROB was a terrible playable character IMO. He was super generic, super campy, and playing him was literally a drag because he just didn't do anything unique or fun IMO. I honestly dreaded facing ROB back when I played ROB because IMO it was that bad, both "competitively" and "casually."

Also, as always, my thoughts on the roster are about gameplay, not some stupid popularity contest. The way I see it, Ridley is flat out so unique that not adding him is stupid. ROB isn't. He's just another generic robot characters, and generally speaking, generic robot characters are always dumb in fighting games, and IMO ROB is no exception. Heck, not even the Project M crew could make him all that unique, although they at least made him enjoyable.

Also, I don't just give in and love everything like a lot of the Nintendo fan drones do. The charm is not always there. ROB doesn't have much charm either IMO. Neither did Pit (who was actually worse in Brawl IMO), but at least he could easily have been improved, which is exactly what happened.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'm just having a go at the sycophants, so to speak. You can see shades of it in the reaction to Wii Fit Trainer, in that no matter what choices are made, they will be adamantly defended as the right ones. Whether or not they are? Doesn't matter, Sakurai made the choice, it's right, end of story, period, paragraph. Common phrases to look for in these discussions include "grown on me," "charm," and "hilarious." Also, "it's just a game" and "it's fun."

D

Deleted member

I'm going to have to go on a logical sense and state that Ridley's exclusion doesn't make or break the game.

While he could be a rather groundbreaking character depending on how he is designed in the game (such as Smash's first "giant" character), he's not the only thing that matters.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Well John, apperantly not. Cause Villager, Wii Fit Trainer and MegaMan are apperantly 'fun'.
Another bunch of stupid and wasted words that mean nothing.
You also seem to underestimate the problems Ridley could face. Especially in balancing the character. Great power, great speed, great range, great recovery. Broken as Mega Metal MetaKnight. ... Almost.
The difference is that Meta Knight is small, not easy to juggle, and, oh yeah, great on the ground.

Ridley likely will be horrendous in the ground, and honestly, depending on the approach, he could either be not that fast or not that strong. On top of that, if it's big, he would be a gigantic target (note: most giant target characters have been horrendous in smash), and likely a character that is much easier to juggle than most.
I'm not seeing it happen. Sakurai and team clearly cannot handle a project as a playable Ridley yet.
You are saying the team that brought us Tekken, arguably the best fighting game franchise of all-time can't handle some dragon=??? Really=???

If Sakurai can't handle being unique after making Ness totally crazy, the Ice Climbers totally functional, Snake just straight up a BAMF, and the Wii Fit Trainer bats*** crazy, then quite frankly, he isn't the head developer smash bros needs, as it would appear that well is dry of originality in regards to playable characters.

Honestly, I don't think Sakurai's well is dry yet. Not even close, especially after the 3 newcomers that were revealed so far have been incredibly awesome.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ok, then Ridley will be sucky. Facts remains that Sakurai probably thinks Wii Fit Trainer is more fitting than Ridley. And can you blame him? She's boring, but at least human thus easier to work with than purple space dragons.

No Ridley's exclusion won't make the game worse. Get over it. Or give us more drama. Your choice.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I'm just having a go at the sycophants, so to speak. You can see shades of it in the reaction to Wii Fit Trainer, in that no matter what choices are made, they will be adamantly defended as the right ones. Whether or not they are? Doesn't matter, Sakurai made the choice, it's right, end of story, period, paragraph. Common phrases to look for in these discussions include "grown on me," "charm," and "hilarious."
The difference is the Wii Fit Trainer looks amazing (I'm talking about playing the character, not a popularity contest). She's totally unique, and totally has awesome qualities. To me, that's pretty much all that matters. Gameplay, gameplay, gameplay. I don't care about popularity contests, give me the best and most unique characters in regards to gameplay.

And as for "grown on me," "charm" and "hilarious," none of those matter to anyone who doesn't wear nostalgia glasses. I recognize that IMO Mewtwo had a wonky design (although he was still fun), Pichu and Roy added nothing in Melee, the Triforce tier in Brawl (sans Ganondorf) was terribly dry to play as, and Pit and ROB were about as good as nothing in Brawl.
I'm going to have to go on a logical sense and state that Ridley's exclusion doesn't make or break the game.
Nobody is saying that, so saying this is a waste of words.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
We'll see what waste of words are when we'll see what role Ridley has.

You could as well be, you know, been wasting words for years?

Also, holes. Big ones.

Top Bottom