• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Wouldn't his range be able to make up for the space he takes up? I see projectiles being Ridley's only real problem, fitting perfectly with having Samus for a rival.
The range would be a plus, but it'd come with the consequence of being super easy to juggle, being suspectible to projectiles like you say, being an easy grab target, and super easy to spike. In general it's a handicap, especially to someone like Ridley who should be good in the air. Being Bowser's size would be fine, but being any bigger would severely hurt him.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
The range would be a plus, but it'd come with the consequence of being super easy to juggle, being suspectible to projectiles like you say, being an easy grab target, and super easy to spike. In general it's a handicap, especially to someone like Ridley who should be good in the air. Being Bowser's size would be fine, but being any bigger would severely hurt him.
More disadvantages means more justifiable speed and power.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
More disadvantages means more justifiable speed and power.
Problem is that if he's constantly juggled he can't showcase that speed or power. There's a certain limit to when you can throw an attack out after being hit because of the engine, so the speed wouldn't be of much use against Meta Knight or Fox. Of course we don't know about the engine yet, but if it's anything like in past games, then being big can only ever be a disadvantage, else you'll need to turn his power up to ridiculous levels where he'll end up being overpowered against characters that don't juggle. Big characters like the past Bowser are a hell to balance, usually they just end up getting tons of super-armor, which isn't the right way out since that also gives them a big unfair advantage against half of the characters, which is why they also re-made Bowser.

I would rather that they go the safe route and make Ridley a bit smaller than Bowser, which is justifiable considering that Bowser is bigger than him once they actually make him big in the Mario games. Ridley is bound to take much horizontal space due to his design, so it's really best to try and make him take as little of it as possible.

Anyways, these are just my thoughts on it.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Problem is that if he's constantly juggled he can't showcase that speed or power. There's a certain limit to when you can throw an attack out after being hit because of the engine, so the speed wouldn't be of much use against Meta Knight or Fox. Of course we don't know about the engine yet, but if it's anything like in past games, then being big can only ever be a disadvantage, else you'll need to turn his power up to ridiculous levels where he'll end up being overpowered against characters that don't juggle. Big characters like the past Bowser are a hell to balance, usually they just end up getting tons of super-armor, which isn't the right way out since that also gives them a big unfair advantage against half of the characters, which is why they also re-made Bowser.

I would rather that they go the safe route and make Ridley a bit smaller than Bowser, which is justifiable considering that Bowser is bigger than him once they actually make him big in the Mario games. Ridley is bound to take much horizontal space due to his design, so it's really best to try and make him take as little of it as possible.

Anyways, these are just my thoughts on it.
Well I've always been of the opinion that each character should have their own flinch resistances, so larger characters would be able to deal with things like Meta Knight's jab easily. Not that I expect that to happen, but I can dream...

As for the size, keep in mind that horizontal length doesn't have much effect on the ground, and in the air Ridley would change posture, helping avoid strikes from below a bit. Though I don't know why anyone would want to step into the reach of that tail.

I really wish I could visualize everything I'm thinking here. This is more compliated than I'd like it to be.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I guess when I'm bored I begin to recalculate what I believe Ridley's height in the 2D games are. I forget why I started but that's what I've been doing.

Though I never realized just how accurate it is to say if Ridley can't be resized, then why can K. Rool? Proportionately, they're very similar. Though of course I'm using Super Metroid Ridley, which is probably his smallest incarnation.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I guess when I'm bored I begin to recalculate what I believe Ridley's height in the 2D games are. I forget why I started but that's what I've been doing.

Though I never realized just how accurate it is to say if Ridley can't be resized, then why can K. Rool? Proportionately, they're very similar. Though of course I'm using Super Metroid Ridley, which is probably his smallest incarnation.
Are you saying ridley Can't be resized ? If so look at dark phazons picture of Ridley and bowser on the battle field does ridley look weird or not I'm with side not

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Are you saying ridley Can't be resized ? If so look at dark phazons picture of Ridley and bowser on the battle field does ridley look weird or not I'm with side not
It's Pizzadudemanguy's picture not Dark Phazon's, please give the credit to the person who made the picture, he really deserve it ;)

Of course K.rool is not too big he is smaller in the spin-off so of course he can be resized.

And Bowser, use magic to change his size duh.

Ridley can maybe use science to modify his body like he have shown us in the past and was maybe as tall as Samus in the metroid pinball spin-off but it doesn't count because I say so.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
It's Pizzadudemanguy's picture not Dark Phazon's, please give the credit to the person who made the picture, he really deserve it ;)

Of course K.rool is not too big he is smaller in the spin-off so of course he can be resized.

Ridley can maybe use science to modify his body like he have shown us in the past and was maybe as tall as Samus in the metroid pinball spin-off but it doesn't count because I say so.
Ooh sorry i thought it was dark phazons then i give another kudos to the pizzaduemanguy for that incredible size for ridley to be in smash bros

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

Yh...dont wanna steal PeeP'z thunder and da...i know some people care....its not my pic i just saved it and post it back because its a good pic worth saving props to pizzaman for plus my whole famz having pizza today too.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
How does not showing ridley increase his chance i mean if he was on the screen and the warning challenger apoaching banner was there on the exact same day hes confirmed

And why does rising lava decrease his chance i mean if the lava was Risen and ridley is not in the picture that gives him a 90% chance of being confirmed since theres no place for him to hide down there and he would be dead under the lava
Were did you get 90/ from?

Pretty sure Ridley's not gonna make the cut. #RealTalk
.......(-_-) im not amused.....
DONT P iss me off bruv!
....Mugging it.....

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
WELL FINALLY.

Anyway, since I've still be doing SIZE CALCULATIONS, I'm not sure why people make a fuss about Other M Ridley's size? I downloaded his and Samus's models, and though it's tricky to measure Ridley since his feet aren't flat against the ground, I'm sure he couldn't stand more than 7.2 meters (23 feet) in Other M. And that's standing straight up. Standing all hunched over like normal, his height would probably be comparable to his Zero Mission and Super Metroid sizes, which are around 4.5 meters (15 feet). Ridley X has a really stupid body structure, his torso approaching infinity, but I don't think he could stand taller than 5.7m (19 feet). I'm at least pretty confident in saying Ridley is rather consistently within the 15 feet range, and that's a good general height to attribute to him.

Wish I could do this with Prime 1 & 3 models. Maybe I can try it with Brawl models though... *SENDS M&S A MESSAGE*

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

In the downtime I downloaded everything from the original Smash Bros website and made a fully functional version where my custom Ridley button is on, which is obviously what's seen above.

This is how it automatically organized it. The previous one I made was made in Photoshop, so it was organized differently. Obviously the Ridley button doesn't link to anything, but I figured it was the last thing I could do with the button, so there it is.

Btw, curse laptops without Print Screen buttons.

Also, two days left in this week, I hope we can survive this. Most importantly survive another picture of the Pyrosphere.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
I can't be the only one who mistaken the Reset bomb explosion as a Ridley comfirmation, I was like HOLY SH*T that must be his Down B or his Final Smash.

Then I seen that there was no new character annouced and read the description on Miiverse D=

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I can't be the only one who mistaken the Reset bomb explosion as a Ridley comfirmation, I was like HOLY SH*T that must be his Down B or his Final Smash.

Then I seen that there was no new character annouced and read the description on Miiverse D=
What would a big explosion have to necessarily do with Ridley?

I knew it was the Reset Bomb from the get-go, but that's mostly because I've seen it in Kid Icarus: Uprising gameplay prior to the image.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
To be honest.

You probably were the only one.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
I guess I'm so desesperate for a Ridley comfirmation I begin to see him everywhere.

Oh, look its Wuhu Island, Ridley comfirmed @.@

?????????????

Smash Master
Y'know, sometimes I talk to people and, after I've shown them that the size issue isn't, they make up a new reason why Ridley would be a bad character for SSB. I think my favorite are, "Ridley can't fight on the ground/I've never seen Ridley on the ground, Ridley already died, and Ridley is a souless/unintelligent being whose only motivation is to kill for no reason."

Obviously, rantings of kids who just don't want to be wrong and are only against Ridley because someone told them they should be. People need to look into things themselves instead of blindly clinging on to the words of everyone they hear.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Y'know, sometimes I talk to people and, after I've shown them that the size issue isn't, they make up a new reason why Ridley would be a bad character for SSB. I think my favorite are, "Ridley can't fight on the ground/I've never seen Ridley on the ground, Ridley already died, and Ridley is a souless/unintelligent being whose only motivation is to kill for no reason."

Obviously, rantings of kids who just don't want to be wrong and are only against Ridley because someone told them they should be. People need to look into things themselves instead of blindly clinging on to the words of everyone they hear.
I think most of the people who don't want ridley havn't played Metroid. like, ever. want proof? My cousin doesn't really want ridley because he's "Too Big" (which is funny because he doesn't check smash on the internet that I know of) and the only time he's EVER really seen Ridley in action is in brawl. I say he can be resized, and he reluctantly agrees, but I still don't think he wants him for some reason.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
We are already half way through this week. There are two more updates to go before we can breath a sigh of relief, and can actually start to begin hoping for Ridley actually having a playable unveil (since September will be new month).

If Ridley is a stage hazard, I am expecting it to be Friday's update (though its possible it could happen tonight).

Its really the next two days we will need to get through.

?????????????

Smash Master
I think most of the people who don't want ridley havn't played Metroid. like, ever. want proof? My cousin doesn't really want ridley because he's "Too Big" (which is funny because he doesn't check smash on the internet that I know of) and the only time he's EVER really seen Ridley in action is in brawl. I say he can be resized, and he reluctantly agrees, but I still don't think he wants him for some reason.
Exactly. Once it gets to the point where new reasons are being made up for against Ridley, I show or give examples of when Ridley fights on the ground, how Ridley is highly intelligent, and how Ridley has died many times. They admit to me that they've never played a Metroid game.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Obviously, rantings of kids who just don't want to be wrong and are only against Ridley because someone told them they should be.
YES, thank you. I've tried to State that Shortly and Sweetly before, but I think you put it best. Outside of those weaklings, the only people against Ridley are the people who supposedly love him just a little too much. The Sensitive types who couldn't bare to see their precious Ridley slipping on banana peels and wearing bunny ears.

?????????????

Smash Master
YES, thank you. I've tried to State that Shortly and Sweetly before, but I think you put it best. Outside of those weaklings, the only people against Ridley are the people who supposedly love him just a little too much. The Sensitive types who couldn't bare to see their precious Ridley slipping on banana peels and wearing bunny ears.
I've seen those too. People who tell me that being playable in Super Smash Bros. would ruin Ridley's character.

...what? Ganondorf and Snake isn't already strange?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
We are already half way through this week. There are two more updates to go before we can breath a sigh of relief, and can actually start to begin hoping for Ridley actually having a playable unveil (since September will be new month).

If Ridley is a stage hazard, I am expecting it to be Friday's update (though its possible it could happen tonight).

Its really the next two days we will need to get through.
I only think we're gonna be safe when we see another picture of Pyrosphere, one that doesn't feature Ridley at all. History says that it takes a little over a week before we see a second shot of a stage, and that comes with another phase of the stage too. It took a week and two days for the second phase of the reset bomb stage to get shown, it took a week and a day before we saw the airplane on the Pilotwings stage. Unless we see another picture of Pyrosphere which features another hazard than Ridley, or we get a confirmation that there's no hazard at all, I'm still gonna feel like we're on the edge. Given how the past two stages were treated, we should see another picture of the Pyrosphere in the coming two days. If we make it through that, then we're gonna be as high up as we were before the whole incident, possibly even higher since Ridley has even received a nod, which would mean that they have intentionally hyped him up.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
What would a big explosion have to necessarily do with Ridley?

I knew it was the Reset Bomb from the get-go, but that's mostly because I've seen it in Kid Icarus: Uprising gameplay prior to the image.
I actually thought the explosion was that attack of his from Other M where he flies up then blasts down a massive fireball...then, I saw the actual stage a split second later.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Place is finally back from the DDoS attack huh? Ridley was probably the cause of it, but whatever. During some of the time off from this place, I lurked some elsewhere for Ridley discussion because of the Pyrosphere update and all, and boy did I regret it. The worst kind of toobigotry I had seen since pre-Brawl days (yes, any current detractors there are here are quite subtle in comparison). Even found another community judging us, as in this thread which a user in it made a youtube vid about us for the lulz. To be fair though, it's not hard to poke fun at this thread, especially under the current circumstances.

http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1302773&p=42001492#post42001492

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYrrp8C6_eM

Question is though whether or not to be flattered that someone would go out of their way to give us this much attention...

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Fully expecting the site to go down for even longer once Ridley's confirmed for whatever.

Then afterwards we'll all be like "I guess he was too big for this site."

Top Bottom