• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Well, I'm gonna throt off to bed, tommorow another week of trying to survive the daily updates is gonna be ahead of us. Looking at how past stages have been treated, we should very likely see another picture of the Pyrosphere stage in the coming week, more specifically if there's more to it than what we've seen, and maybe that will finally pin down if Ridley is a stage hazard or not.

See ya tommorow.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Well, I'm gonna throt off to bed, tommorow another week of trying to survive the daily updates is gonna be ahead of us. Looking at how past stages have been treated, we should very likely see another picture of the Pyrosphere stage in the coming week, more specifically if there's more to it than what we've seen, and maybe that will finally pin down if Ridley is a stage hazard or not.

See ya tommorow.
Or they don't show a picture of that stage again ever. And we NEVER know is Ridley is playable until the game comes out.

I do think it's extremely likely that Sakurai will try to keep some secret characters (unlockable newcomer characters) a mystery until the game comes out. Not like what they did with Brawl with the ??? if you didn't want to look. He wants to tell us less about the game this time around. Probably only 1-3 characters like this, and the rest we'll be told about.

This would be a pretty interesting move.

Megazero64

Smash Apprentice
Now I know i'm going to get a lot of hate for saying this but I think Ridley's Other M design is pretty cool and I don't see anything wrong with his head.
I think people hate his Other M design because it's too realistic, in my opinion Ridley's Brawl design makes him look cartoony and everyone likes this design but no one likes the realistic design because it looks nothing like Ridley. Well in my opinion, the Other M design looks freaking badass and he doesn't have a freaking pencil neck. ALSO the mouth doesn't look horrible, it works well with the design and it looks nothing like a ****in duck bill!

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Hoping for a Ridley reveal next week.

Anyways, It's 2 in the night here, and I'm going to eat some steak and scoot off to bed. :ness:

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
If Ridley is a Stage Hazard I'm aout of this thread because I'm not goin thru a ****storm o-o

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Remember guys, it's just a video game. Because of this, any and all investment in it is mockable by those who are clearly above such things.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
If Ridley is a Stage Hazard I'm aout of this thread because I'm not goin thru a ****storm o-o
It acured to me that i forgot who posted this but he might be right but if its mystery creature ridley as the stage hazard ridley is even more likly to be playable since the mysery creatures bodie was found very close to the area and maybe ridley got inside the arena a different way besides that hole i mean the hole he escaped from would he need the exact same type of hole for him to get in

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
It acured to me that i forgot who posted this but he might be right but if its mystery creature ridley as the stage hazard ridley is even more likly to be playable since the mysery creatures bodie was found very close to the area and maybe ridley got inside the arena a different way besides that hole i mean the hole he escaped from would he need the exact same type of hole for him to get in
I never played Other M...in fact I never played a single Metroid game the only people I know in Metroid is Samus and Ridley...........and Kraid.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I know i said i was making a Rayman video but i think i'll delay it to make a Ridley video. lol (Wont be done for a while because my classes are starting in two days)

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
Smashoperatingbuddy123 said:
Anthony is more likely for an assist trophy than a playable​
Next Generation clip FTW!

Back on topic though, if we get more screenshots of the stage and they don't show Ridley or show another stage hazard (like lava) then Ridley is more likely.

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
ummmmmm Ridley looks weird :> ok idk what I'm talking about anymore
*goes into a corner of shame*

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Next Generation clip FTW!

Back on topic though, if we get more screenshots of the stage and they don't show Ridley or show another stage hazard (like lava) then Ridley is more likely.
How does not showing ridley increase his chance i mean if he was on the screen and the warning challenger apoaching banner was there on the exact same day hes confirmed

And why does rising lava decrease his chance i mean if the lava was Risen and ridley is not in the picture that gives him a 90% chance of being confirmed since theres no place for him to hide down there and he would be dead under the lava

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
How does not showing ridley increase his chance i mean if he was on the screen and the warning challenger apoaching banner was there on the exact same day hes confirmed

And why does rising lava decrease his chance i mean if the lava was Risen and ridley is not in the picture that gives him a 90% chance of being confirmed since theres no place for him to hide down there and he would be dead under the lava
He means "...if they don't show RidIey or if they show a stage hazard that isn't RidIey..." Small grammaticaI error.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17

Let's say if they show three more screenshots of the stage and no Ridley, we can conclude if they are not showing him then the chances of him as a character go up. If they show rising lava or another non-Ridley hazard we can conclude that he is probably not going to be a hazard, because lava and a giant space dragon could be overkill, so to speak. Like others have said, if Ridley is a hazard then he's not going to be a playable character. The "same character, different era/person" thing works with Toon Link, but not Nook or Ridely. I am expecting at least one more screenshot of the Pyrosphere stage before the week is over.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Let's say if they show three more screenshots of the stage and no Ridley, we can conclude if they are not showing him then the chances of him as a character go up. If they show rising lava or another non-Ridley hazard we can conclude that he is probably not going to be a hazard, because lava and a giant space dragon could be overkill, so to speak. Like others have said, if Ridley is a hazard then he's not going to be a playable character. The "same character, different era/person" thing works with Toon Link, but not Nook or Ridely. I am expecting at least one more screenshot of the Pyrosphere stage before the week is over.
Really then your not thinking i think rising lava is the hazard i mean think about it why was those platforms added those platforms were not on that stage before unless the other Metroid stages did not have platforms either on the rising lava stages nevermind

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So...the size argument...

Contrary to popular belief, there is without a doubt a way to compare sizes among characters. If we're going by sizes outside of Smash, then it is rather simple.

In this picture, it shows that a Pikmin is approximately 13mm tall, which is about the same height as the explorers, which basically equate in height to Olimar. Mind you that this is a real form of measurement. So it isn't trying to say that compared to other characters, Olimar would be the same size.

There is an image from the Pikmin hand book that shows Olimar's size compared to a Gamecube disc, in which Olimar makes it to about halfway up the disc. Rather small. If I remember correctly, there is another one of Olimar vs. a Wii Remote.

Here's a completely seperate one.

If Olimar is half the size of a Gamecube disc, which is in turn about half the height of a Wii Remote, then if he were compared to Mario in this situation, he wouldn't be any taller than his shoe. But instead, we get this:

Olimar is now the size of Mario if we include his antenna, and the Pikmin he has are half of Mario's height. This is WAY off, regardless if they have ever been seen in a game together besides Smash.

I am going to post another showing Pokemon comparisons.

IhaveSonar

Smash Journeyman
I really want Ridley in. He is, after all, the last.... big.... Nintendo character to not be in Smash.
:D

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I got one to help ridley i just had a Eureka momment

You guys should ask this why were the platforms added to the pyrosphere stage
I think its rising lava is what the hazard is on that stage
I mean platforms were added on the other metroid stages to avoid the lava
And maybe the ship has a draining system for the lava for bringing the lava back down
And plus it is a lava stages and the lava stages have a history in smash bros for rising and lowering

And the quote simply refering to the other m game ridley dident jump out and attack in other m until samus destoryed the plug in the pyrosphere

UPDATE

Yes i know its rising acid in melee and 64 but still the same Concept
Anyway can any of you name a stage with lava/acid that did not having rising lava/acid (That doesn't include the Kraid stage in melee i think thats the only stage with lava/acid that Doesn't rise)

Dr.Geno

Smash Rookie
I got one to help ridley i just had a Eureka momment

You guys should ask this why were the platforms added to the pyrosphere stage
I think its rising lava is what the hazard is on that stage
I mean platforms were added on the other metroid stages to avoid the lava
And maybe the ship has a draining system for the lava for bringing the lava back down
And plus it is a lava stages and the lava stages have a history in smash bros for rising and lowering

And the quote simply refering to the other m game ridley dident jump out and attack in other m until samus destoryed the plug in the pyrosphere
"Eureka moment" indeed.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Is it finally dying down? Can we actually discuss things?

I don't get why people think Ridley has to be small to be playable. Signature big characters are pretty common in fighting games.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Is it finally dying down? Can we actually discuss things?

I don't get why people think Ridley has to be small to be playable. Signature big characters are pretty common in fighting games.
Sure, but Bowser is already a signature big character. Making Ridley boss sized would be very stupid in a game with gameplay like Smash Bros'. Making him about Bowser's size would be optimal.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Sure, but Bowser is already a signature big character. Making Ridley boss sized would be very stupid in a game with gameplay like Smash Bros'. Making him about Bowser's size would be optimal.
Oh of course, but if he were to -gasp!- be bigger than Bowser, even by just a little, I don't think it would be the end of the world.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Oh of course, but if he were to -gasp!- be bigger than Bowser, even by just a little, I don't think it would be the end of the world.
Sure, but not by much. Bowser is already very handicapped because of his size, they've fixed it some it seems since he doesn't take up as much horizontal space, but Ridley would obviously take up a lot of horizontal space too since he never stands upright, so he really shouldn't be bigger than Bowser. Same size, or even a bit smaller should suffice.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Oh course.

Bowser's not even the biggest in normal gameplay.

Ganondorf is taller and Charizard is wider. Bowser is only the biggest if you edit his Brawl model to stand straight up, something he never does in normal gameplay. Making a character taller or bigger than Bowser has already happened.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Sure, but not by much. Bowser is already very handicapped because of his size, they've fixed it some it seems since he doesn't take up as much horizontal space, but Ridley would obviously take up a lot of horizontal space too since he never stands upright, so he really shouldn't be bigger than Bowser. Same size, or even a bit smaller should suffice.
Wouldn't his range be able to make up for the space he takes up? I see projectiles being Ridley's only real problem, fitting perfectly with having Samus for a rival.

Top Bottom