• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
Yes, clearly, expecting one of the two most original Nintendo owned characters being playable is expecting too much after we got Mega Man, the king of unique and crazy moves with so many moves he could have 20 movesets, the Villager with his shovel and tree planting, balloon helmet, bowling ball, oh, and a freaking rocket gyro, and the Wii Fit Trainer using freaking stretches and half-a**ed exercises for obese old people as moves.

All characters from big unit selling, continuing franchises, which Metroid is. Or a heavyweight in a franchise with like 3-5 "true" heavyweights.

And clearly, expecting a unique vicious dragon is sooooo crazy. :rolleyes:

Instead, we should expect more half-a**ed characters that go against current and historical trends like Toad, Waluigi, Birdo, and Deoxys. Yep. That's Sakurai's thought process. Let's add roster filler instead of unique and popular characters that could potentially change smash gameplay forever.

Oh, and for the record, I think its safe to say that you guy assume too much. The fat lady hasn't sung yet.
Sure, all that jazz about him being "cool" (by your standards) and popular (in the west) is all fine and dandy but clearly if he is a stage hazard (99% hinted and likely), then the developers aren't interested in making him playable.

His Brawl appearance should have made people expect him less for reasons i have already stated.

I'm sure if some interviewer asks Sakurai about Ridley, we can finally put an end to it.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Johnknight1 said:
Instead, we should expect more half-a**ed characters that go against current and historical trends like Toad, Waluigi, Birdo, and Deoxys. Yep. That's Sakurai's thought process. Let's add roster filler instead of unique and popular characters that could potentially change smash gameplay forever.
I agreed with your point up until I read this. Toad is not a half-arsed character, doesn't break trends and is not in the same category as Waluigi, Birdo and Deoxys. Toad has been in Mario since the beginning, is playable in three main series EAD Nintendo games and soon to be a fourth. Toad is an important part of Mario just like Ridley is an important part of Metroid, and if you can't see how he'd be unique then that's your problem, not Toad's.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Moral of the day:
Don't diss on other characters while defending your favourite character.

(Yes, this is directed at you, John)

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I'd say Toad and Bowser Jr. are roughly tied with each other for a new Mario slot. That being said, I'm not saying a new Mario rep at all is very likely.

I shall now get us back on topic-

Well, sort of on topic, which version of Ridley's theme do you want the most to be in Smash 4? The Other M version, the Brawl version, or one of his themes from the Prime series?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Well, sort of on topic, which version of Ridley's theme do you want the most to be in Smash 4? The Other M version, the Brawl version, or one of his themes from the Prime series?
There's no reason they can't make a new version of it again, since that's usually what they do with music. However, I really would love if they just used a direct rip of the Other M version, the kind of tribal war feel it has due to the drums is fantastic for a fighting game.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Wow, more than an hour with no replies. Things are winding down.

I hope they do a remix of Ridley's theme but if they jsut keep the one from Brawl or Other M that'd be cool too.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Wow, more than an hour with no replies. Things are winding down.

I hope they do a remix of Ridley's theme but if they jsut keep the one from Brawl or Other M that'd be cool too.
Well, it is like...ridiculously late/early in most places right now, so, there's that :p

I would hope that they do a really nice remix of Ridley's Theme (especially if he's playable) since remixes are something that they excelled at in Brawl.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Hate to bring it up but assuming that Ridley is a stage hazard will this thread be locked? And if so, before or after the ****storm.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Hate to bring it up but assuming that Ridley is a stage hazard will this thread be locked? And if so, before or after the ****storm.
I'd imagine if he's deconfirmed or confirmed the thread will be locked, maybe after or before the ****storm/celebration.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
I assume it wouldn't be closed because of the chance, however slim, that Ridley could be both a stage hazard and a playable character. Unless Sakurai writes a miiverse update like "Sorry we couldn't make Ridley a playable character, but he can be found terrorizing Samus and others in the Pyrophere!" or something.

Actually does smashboards even lock threads for deconfirmed characters?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
It won't be locked, lol.

I'll just change the title to Ridley for SSB5: The Most Wanted Stage Hazard.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Nope. Comparing the 2001-2004 US Dollar (when Brawl was released) to the 2008 US Dollar (as well as most currencies) isn't close. The former is worth over 10% more.

That means if you take away 10% of Brawl's sales, it's only about 3 million more.

Add in the price of a new studio location, steeper developmental costs, and the same price point for the game, and I doubt Brawl was a bigger financial success than Melee. That's not even taking into account Melee moved consoles much more than Brawl did, which is pretty much self-evident in the ratio of Melee to GameCube owners (about 30%) compared to Brawl to Wii owners (about 12%).

Touché.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
So people didn't answer me last time, but what if the stage hazard Ridley was the Mystery Creature, after all it transformed into Ridley only a few meters away from the Pyrosphere (if the Ultimate Chimera can quit Porky's tower to be able to wander around New Pork City why would it be impossible for the Mystery Creature to do it).

The Mystery creature also have the abilty to walk on the walls and can do quite the jumps (seeing his espace from Anthonny Higgs) allowing him to access the stage with little to no difficulty.

That would make possible for us to have Ridley both as a stage hazard and a playable character similar to have we had Bowser playable in Melee and another form of him as a Boss.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'd imagine if he's deconfirmed or confirmed the thread will be locked, maybe after or before the ****storm/celebration.
If he's confirmed it'll likely just turn into our social thread. Even the pre-Brawl support threads like "Dedede for Brawl" and "Sonic for Brawl" are still open, so I doubt they'd lock this one if he's confirmed.

If he's deconfirmed, well, we'll see.

So people didn't answer me last time, but what if the stage hazard Ridley was the Mystery Creature, after all it transformed into Ridley only a few meters away from the Pyrosphere (if the Ultimate Chimera can quit Porky's tower to be able to wander around New Pork City why would it be impossible for the Mystery Creature to do it).

The Mystery creature also have the abilty to walk on the walls and can do quite the jumps (seeing his espace from Anthonny Higgs) allowing him to access the stage with little to no difficulty.

That would make possible for us to have Ridley both as a stage hazard and a playable character similar to have we had Bowser playable in Melee and another form of him as a Boss.
Wouldn't the Mystery Creature be a tad small to truly wreck havoc? Unless he just clings to the walls in the background and shoots some kind of projectiles he'd be a very underwhelming stage hazard. And yes, I understand the irony in that Ridley is suddenly too small.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
If he's confirmed it'll likely just turn into our social thread. Even the pre-Brawl support threads like "Dedede for Brawl" and "Sonic for Brawl" are still open, so I doubt they'd lock this one if he's confirmed.

If he's deconfirmed, well, we'll see.

Wouldn't the Mystery Creature be a tad small to truly wreck havoc? Unless he just clings to the walls in the background and shoots some kind of projectiles he'd be a very underwhelming stage hazard. And yes, I understand the irony in that Ridley is suddenly too small.
Well the Ultimate Chimera wasn't so big and it was a true Nightmare to have it appear right next to you, as for the Mystery creature he could easily pin the characters on the ground and then violently attack it's prey with his tail (like in his boss battle) and when you consider how fast and agile that thing is it's a good thing that he is not too big and that you have platforms to help you avoid him.Add the potential rising lava and I really think that this level is already dangerous enough ^^

Seriously imagine him running at you at full speed, it just scream : RUN FOR YOUR LIFE.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
Just one thing to keep in mind is that Sakurai already has no problem with Ridley's size,we don't know how he sees it,but it's fine to him that way.His concern when Ridley was brough up was his speed.

InB4everybodystartsaRidleyistooslowforSmashargument

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Don't tell me your saying the even uglier form of ridley could be playable and the dragon form we all know in love is a stage hazard thats like suicide if sakurai did that besides that creature barley has any attacks
And its dead before samus entered the pyrosphere room ridley evolved from that form to the dragon we all know in love

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Don't tell me your saying the even uglier form of ridley could be playable and the dragon form we all know in love is a stage hazard thats like suicide if sakurai did that besides that creature barley has any attacks
And its dead before samus entered the pyrosphere room ridley evolved from that form to the dragon we all know in love
You read my post backwards, I'm suggesting that the Mystery Creature could be the stage hazard when our good old Ridley is the playable character.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
You read my post backwards, I'm suggesting that the Mystery Creature could be the stage hazard when our good old Ridley is the playable character.
Oh sorry but problem with that though ridley exited the mystery creature shell before he entered that room but thats not out Realm of Possibilities though

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
2:45 is my favouite Ridley-moment ever.
Looks so damn badass.
Ridley: Dodgin laser beams since August 25th 2013 :coolmonke: but if Ridley is a stage hazard I see a ****storm coming in o-o and maybe we'll see those over dramatic people who won't buy the game just because something isn't in -.-

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Soo glad i never played other m...never will....it really does destroy the prime series...everything you ever loved about it.....its like conker like and reloaded/banjo nuts and bolts....

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
I'll be disappointed if Ridley doesn't make it, but as long as I have Wario, I think I'll be good.

Soo glad i never played other m...never will....it really does destroy the prime series...everything you ever loved about it.....its like conker like and reloaded/banjo nuts and bolts....
Not even close, those games didn't ruin the story and characters of their series, Other M did.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I think Sakurai should just embrace the size argument and make RIdley the biggest PLAYABLE character in the game. :awesome: (Scaled down to an extent but still)

Ridley is so damn big! OH *thatswhatshesaid*

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I can't believe that i just noticed that Wii Fit Trainer is the only person in the character select screen of the site with lower case letters.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Shamelessly advertising Wii Fit, that's my assumption.

>Implying we're all fat

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'll have to quote the Smash Announcer here: "Wow! Incredible!"

Also, a bit off topic, but what is the resolution of your monitor?
1920x1080. Scaled the image down so that it wouldn't take up too much space here though.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Of course I'll have to be the one to nitpick, but...

...The Ridley Newcomer box ought to be positioned to the right of Samus, not placed above and away from here. They both are part of the same series... =/

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

...The Ridley Newcomer box ought to be positioned to the right of Samus, not placed above and away from here. They both are part of the same series... =/
Mario, Luigi and Bowser are placed away from each other too, which is why I just placed Ridley as the newest box.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
1920x1280. Scaled the image down so that it wouldn't take up too much space here though.
Okay so you at least have a good monitor.
Good.

They didn't do that with any of the other newcomers yet :/

Top Bottom