• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Should Ridley not be playable... Chronobound will leave us. Possibly for good. u_u

...But if there's one thing I can say about him, it's this:

Thank you Chronobound.

You gave us "Sycophant"...

*sniff* . . . . You gave us "Sycophant" . . . :crying:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Not Smash, but a game from another series sold literally twice as much as its two predecessors combined - and it's considered the worst on the series. The Wii sold way more than X360 and PS3, yet all I hear is negativity about its motion controls/how it doesn't hold up well with the times, and how most people won't buy a Wii U because of their dissatisfaction with the Wii.
Don't let sales figures fool you...

If Ridley is not introduced as a character for the game on release, should we keep up the support & have Sakurai consider DLC for Ridley? Martian Manhunter was a stage character in Injustice, but was recently made into a playable character via DLC due to fan demand/votes.
I would perfer the WiiU go the GC route the GC had much better games than the Wii and people said it was a sucky console pretty much....the Wii is the opposite...be Real the Wii sucked a ss hard...mario kart and smash were the worse of there series on the Wii RealTalk.

Also about DLC....uhhh....man...i dunno i really dont...when Sakurai said he wants the game to be packed so they wont be need for DLC do you think he just doesnt wanna do DLC for smash?

It would be alot of work and i reckon smash is sakurai's most stressful project...but you cant telk me it wont be profit snd bring in the £££££££

If there is DLC it wont be chars imo if were soo lucky to get chars from DLC it will be vetarans that didnt make it due to time/ lucario/toon link etc or whatever and just stickers/music/trophies/stages
My opnion on the whole thing.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
There's the main reason Sakurai should add Ridley.

We need to keep Chrono.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If Ridley gets revealed i will change the Cowboy Shyguy pic from Mario Party 2...may not seem much to you guys but to me it is ALOTTT!! Sooo boy......its that BiG.
But Dark Phazon.... I can't imagine you with anything else but that Shy Guy avatar.... RealTalk D':

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If Ridley gets revealed i will change the Cowboy Shyguy pic from Mario Party 2...may not seem much to you guys but to me it is ALOTTT!! Sooo boy......its that BiG.
I won't be able to recognize you then, it'd be like changing your face. If Ridley can make you change your avatar, well that's some real RealTalk.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I HAVE BEEN WAITING A WHOLE 2 DAYS FOR THIS!

...I have no life...

EDIT: darn you dark phazon. now im 9002.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
To be fair, before Shy Guy Dark Phazon was using the Meta-Ridley avatar that had the closeup of teh glowing orange eyes...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Sakurai's career:

-Created Kirby, and the Kirby series. Quickly becomes accepted by Nintendo and loved by all.
-Creates Smash Bros. 64 which wasn't even a Nintendo fighter originally. Everyone loves him even more.
-Created Super Smash Bros. Melee which was a wetdream minus Diddy for basically 98,76% of Nintendo fans. People LOVE the **** out of it, demanding moar and moar.
-Moar they get with Brawl. And everyone is crazy hyped for the game. Added a ton of fan favorite characters. Gameplay is less favored by the 'true fans' (dem dirty, dirty, filthy, lowly casuals :mad: ) but it's still one of the best Wii games ever.
-Revives Kid Icarus after being dead for decades formthe 3DS, instantly becomes one of the 3DS's best titles.

-2014: Fails to add Ridley to the new Smash and is condemned by the whole world. Get's sued by Nintendo fans, fired by Nintendo themselves, starts smoking crack and drink heavily, and frequent nightmares about a purple space dragon will continue to haunt him for the rest of his short, miserable life. Also, his cat gets taken away from him.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Sakurai's career:

-Created Kirby, and the Kirby series. Quickly becomes accepted by Nintendo and loved by all.
-Creates Smash Bros. 64 which wasn't even a Nintendo fighter originally. Everyone loves him even more.
-Created Super Smash Bros. Melee which was a wetdream minus Diddy for basically 98,76% of Nintendo fans. People LOVE the **** out of it, demanding moar and moar.
-Moar they get with Brawl. And everyone is crazy hyped for the game. Added a ton of fan favorite characters. Gameplay is less favored by the 'true fans' (dem dirty, dirty, filthy, lowly casuals :mad: ) but it's still one of the best Wii games ever.
-Revives Kid Icarus after being dead for decades formthe 3DS, instantly becomes one of the 3DS's best titles.

-2014: Fails to add Ridley to the new Smash and is condemned by the whole world. Get's sued by Nintendo fans, fired by Nintendo themselves, starts smoking crack and drink heavily, and frequent nightmares about a purple space dragon will continue to haunt him for the rest of his short, miserable life. Also, his cat gets taken away from him.
Stop milking it dude. Very few of us have thrown in the towel, and hell, if Sakurai survived the Ridley fans when Brawl was released he'll survive us again this time around. If anything we aren't going to compare much to the Geno fanbase pre-Brawl.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Stop milking it dude. Very few of us have thrown in the towel, and hell, if Sakurai survived the Ridley fans when Brawl was released he'll survive us again this time around. If anything we aren't going to compare much to the Geno fanbase pre-Brawl.

How bad did the Geno base get? I think this time around the boards as a whole are more mature but just how bad was it?

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
To be fair, before Shy Guy Dark Phazon was using the Meta-Ridley avatar that had the closeup of teh glowing orange eyes...
You know...its because Mario Party 2 & 3 are extremly special to me very much....i used to play them with my bro when were young for hoursss and when we grew up we still did...it went from when we were kids calling each other names for stealing my coins with boo too when we were abit older and stealing stars and punching each other in the arm..once in the face....ouch..(my older bro...hes 24 im 21)

Soo much memories...i was well am...such a dirty b astard at mario party 3 xD we were masters i used to always buy reverse mushrooms.

Go past boo steal my bros star.
Next turn reverse my self go past boo again steal another star lmfaooooooooooooo oww man....so much dirty tricks...and the ultimate hulmilation we would take a pic of the end summary screen and torment the loser weeks on end to remind him.

''last time we played i beat you ! Hahaha''

Hes always D.K

I like being gay chars so i be mario or luigi.

Hehehehe chilly waters i destroyed him.

Sooo much memories bring a tear to my eye....RealTalk.....:(

Times change.....

I won MP3 ! ME Vs BRO Vs 2 CPU's on HARD.jpg

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Mario Party... Oh damn how hard this game always trolls me. Have some good memories playing it though :laugh:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Plus, Sakurai's no longer involved with the Kirby series and as I think Johnknight or someone pointed out, it improved quality-wise, sales-wise or something like that once he left. Maybe Smash could follow suit like that in the future if he were no longer involved.

Not trying to be a Sakurai hater. Just speaking hypothetically...

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Mario Party... Oh damn how hard this game always trolls me. Have some good memories playing it though :laugh:
I dont think any game can compete with mario party 2 or 3 playing 4 humans all know how to play and good at thr game.

Even more fun than Melee 4 player RealTalk.

I cant describe the jokes/curses...

wait let me show you something...

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
How bad did the Geno base get? I think this time around the boards as a whole are more mature but just how bad was it?
Sakurai was accused countless times of not caring about classic games, not wanting to make an effort, not listening to the fans. People were in general angry about not more than 2 third parties, but especially the Geno fanbase were throwing a lot of nonsense around and really weren't appreciating the work Sakurai had done, acting like Geno should have been a shoe-in when in reality his chances were always very low. And it went on and on, and continuously R.O.B and Wolf were given the blame. It was just ridiculous. Now this is what I experienced at Brawl Central, I have no idea how the Geno fanbase around here acted.

The fanbase is in general more mature now. The people who speculate about Smash Bros are mostly ones who began playing during the Melee times, so we've grown up a lot since the Brawl times even. I definitely feel that people act more logical these days than back then, I guess many people also learned from the whole Brawl chaos too. I know I did for sure, I went on a rampage when Ridley was confirmed as a boss, today I'm very embarrased about my actions back then. It's always okay to be passionate about characters, but whining and moaning never changes anything, that's something I've learned. Sure I'll express myself as displeased if Ridley isn't a character, but I'll do my darned best to do it in a civilized manner.

Plus, Sakurai's no longer involved with the Kirby series and as I think Johnknight or someone pointed out, it improved quality-wise, sales-wise or something like that once he left. Maybe Smash could follow suit like that in the future if he were no longer involved.

Not trying to be a Sakurai hater. Just speaking hypothetically...
The only great Kirby titles that came out for a long time after Sakurai's departure was the remakes of Kirby's Adventure and Kirby Super Star I felt, which were his titles anyways. Amazing Mirror and Squeak Squad were so-so, they were too short, easy and felt uninspiring if you ask me. It was only with Return to Dreamland I finally felt that not only had the past level of quality been reached, but it had been surpassed. Remember that Sakurai did lay the ground for HAL to continue working on it, it's not as hard to continue it as it is to create it, and even then it took them so long to make a fantastic Kirby game again.

Smash Bros is also a very different title. Sakurai handles everything with such care, because that's what's necessary to maintain quality in such a big game, it's easy to lose the overview and control of a game like Smash Bros I imagine. Sakurai is experienced in handling Smash Bros, I think we'd definitely be able to feel it big time if Sakurai isn't on board for a Smash Bros game, and I have a feeling it wouldn't be for the best.

Not trying to be one of those Sakurai worshippers who believe he can do no wrong, he has made things I'm not a fan of, but I certainly wouldn't want him replaced as the head of Smash Bros.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I remember the chaos that ensured when some peoples favourite characters didn't make it in but I didn't realize it was that much of a massive tantrum....

Guess I should have been glad that my most wanted Brawl character (Toon Link) made it in...

But honestly, I've already pre-decided that I'm going to main Villager for this game if things don't go as I hope. Professor Layton, K.Rool, Palutena and a number of other potential newcomers not making it in, Toon Link and Mewtwo getting cut (again for the latter) and for some weird silly reason, Ness being absent... So I'm set for now. If my more wanted characters don't make it in or return, yeah I will be bummed but I'm not going to throw a tantrum over it... :/

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I remember the chaos that ensured when some peoples favourite characters didn't make it in but I didn't realize it was that much of a massive tantrum....

Guess I should have been glad that my most wanted Brawl character (Toon Link) made it in.

But honestly, I've already pre-decided that I'm going to main Villager for this game if things don't go as I hope. Professor Layton and a number of other potential newcomers not making it in, Toon Link and Mewtwo getting cut (again for the latter) and for some weird stupid reason, Ness being absent... So I'm set for now. If my more wanted characters don't make it in or return, yeah I will be bummed but I'm not going to throw a tantrum over it... :/
It's important to note that many of us who started playing Melee in 2001 were in the 13-15 year old bracket back then, as a teenager you easily lose control and just go on a tantrum. I was guilty of that too. Now that I've matured I see it as ridiculous, but that's just how teenagers are of course. And of course the teenager fanbase of this game isn't completely absent, but the majority of us Melee veterans have grown up now, so it shouldn't become as much of a chaos again (though I'm still expecting there to be some form of big hate group.)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Wow.

I have to admit I was a little peeved when I saw the roster size and that most of the unlockables were veterans but I felt bad after seeing the ROB dressed as Ridley image. You know the one.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Found it.....lmfaooooooooooo watch this you guys its one particular chance time 4 people will never forget!

It truly was mad....sorry about camera quality and angle and the old T.V xD just goes to show....old times <3

Also the overly excited person that screams like a little girl

''game ovahh beby....is me....''

lmfao im not embarrased one bit...it was too jokes...RealTalk

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ3yjKClvic

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
There's no game that makes you hate your friends as much as Mario Party. That's why it's so fun!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The secret of Mario Party is to only do two players at a time and call a true. Then the Easy CPUs will fall before your combined might.

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
There's no game that makes you hate your friends as much as Mario Party. That's why it's so fun!
I hate Mario Party =_= I can probably count all the times I slammed the controller on something and my bro or friends laughed probably like past 100 times I raged at it........Idk why my Brother keeps buying them and making me play them.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
The secret of Mario Party is to only do two players at a time and call a true. Then the Easy CPUs will fall before your combined might.
We used to be such scumbags lets say its s 1v3 or 2 v 2 mini game and a certain person needs 10 more coins to get a star he is next to...sometimes someone will by purpose not play and lose the mini game just so he doesnt get the star.....

Lmfaooooooo omg........i once used a gameguy coin on my bro and he came out with 999 coins....lmfao like some pimp....

We used to reverse each other to go back and fourth pass koopa bank too xD.

Poison mushroom people to land on bowser.

Keep a bowser phone ring and put yourself in one when your broke get free coins quick cash injection lmfaooo.

when it came to mini games like
Locked out
Larva tile isle
Treadmill grill

We used to spend the whole mini game beating the s hit outta the person who screwed you...

You would see strange stupid alliances form that dont make any sense that would last like 5 turns then stabbed in the back...lmfaoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
Sakurai was accused countless times of not caring about classic games, not wanting to make an effort, not listening to the fans. People were in general angry about not more than 2 third parties, but especially the Geno fanbase were throwing a lot of nonsense around and really weren't appreciating the work Sakurai had done, acting like Geno should have been a shoe-in when in reality his chances were always very low. And it went on and on, and continuously R.O.B and Wolf were given the blame. It was just ridiculous. Now this is what I experienced at Brawl Central, I have no idea how the Geno fanbase around here acted.

The fanbase is in general more mature now. The people who speculate about Smash Bros are mostly ones who began playing during the Melee times, so we've grown up a lot since the Brawl times even. I definitely feel that people act more logical these days than back then, I guess many people also learned from the whole Brawl chaos too. I know I did for sure, I went on a rampage when Ridley was confirmed as a boss, today I'm very embarrased about my actions back then. It's always okay to be passionate about characters, but whining and moaning never changes anything, that's something I've learned. Sure I'll express myself as displeased if Ridley isn't a character, but I'll do my darned best to do it in a civilized manner.

The only great Kirby titles that came out for a long time after Sakurai's departure was the remakes of Kirby's Adventure and Kirby Super Star I felt, which were his titles anyways. Amazing Mirror and Squeak Squad were so-so, they were too short, easy and felt uninspiring if you ask me. It was only with Return to Dreamland I finally felt that not only had the past level of quality been reached, but it had been surpassed. Remember that Sakurai did lay the ground for HAL to continue working on it, it's not as hard to continue it as it is to create it, and even then it took them so long to make a fantastic Kirby game again.

Smash Bros is also a very different title. Sakurai handles everything with such care, because that's what's necessary to maintain quality in such a big game, it's easy to lose the overview and control of a game like Smash Bros I imagine. Sakurai is experienced in handling Smash Bros, I think we'd definitely be able to feel it big time if Sakurai isn't on board for a Smash Bros game, and I have a feeling it wouldn't be for the best.

Not trying to be one of those Sakurai worshippers who believe he can do no wrong, he has made things I'm not a fan of, but I certainly wouldn't want him replaced as the head of Smash Bros.
not to double post but meh....liked the story I laughed when you said you were outraged that Ridley wasn't playable but I do agree I did rage when I found out how slow and ridiculous Ganondorf was I said I hated Sakurai for the rest of my life......but now I'm 13 and more mature then I was when Brawl was out I regret saying that.....Sakurai's a great man and that's a fact. Ridley isn't playable in this Smash I'm sure all of you here on this Ridley thread won't rage but at least be happy you were supporting him but if I do see rage on this thread isk what I'm gonna do about it. I think Sakurai has made good choices so far but only some thing its bad there's no SSE but it's good to me at least half of the memory won't be wasted again and we can have hella lot of stuff now! I do agre on the last part NO ONE can ever replace Sakurai when making Smash ;D

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Ok back on topic.

WE WANT A GIANT PURPLE PIRATE DRAGON IN SMASH BROS!

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Actually, Sakurai worked on Nightmare in Dreamland IIRC. Amazing Mirror and Squeak Squad were actually made by Capcom, so make of that what you will. Honestly Amazing Mirror and Superstar Ultra are some of my favourite games in the Kirby series.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Well, I was thinking about Ridley in general...

Do you think that, if Sakurai put in Ridley, it would make SSB4 top Brawl already?

Arteen

Smash Lord
Honestly, Ridley very well could be too big.

What do I mean by that? Ridley is a giant, imposing, monstrous space dragon in every game.* His size has been a consistent part of his design since Super Metroid. The infamous Pyrosphere scene in Other M relies heavily on the idea that Ridley is a big, scary monster. Samus even shrinks into a little girl, with Ridley towering over her. And it's certainly not the only game that uses his size to dramatic effect.

People can claim, "his size doesn't matter", but that can't be proven because it's not a fact. It's an opinion. What that really means is, "his size doesn't matter to me". A perfectly fine opinion, but an opinion nonetheless. Sakurai may disagree, and believe Ridley's size to be worth preserving. That's a perfectly valid opinion, too. There's no deficit of imagination, failure as a designer or failure as a person behind Ridley's absence from the roster.

Sakurai just has a different opinion on what's important.

*He was way smaller in the NES game, but also way different. That's not the Ridley that anyone actually wants and it's definitely not how he'll appear in Smash so it's a waste of time to discuss it.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Honestly, Ridley very well could be too big.

What do I mean by that? Ridley is a giant, imposing, monstrous space dragon in every game.* His size has been a consistent part of his design since Super Metroid. The infamous Pyrosphere scene in Other M relies heavily on the idea that Ridley is a big, scary monster. Samus even shrinks into a little girl, with Ridley towering over her. And it's certainly not the only game that uses his size to dramatic effect.

People can claim, "his size doesn't matter", but that can't be proven because it's not a fact. It's an opinion. What that really means is, "his size doesn't matter to me". A perfectly fine opinion, but an opinion nonetheless. Sakurai may disagree, and believe Ridley's size to be worth preserving. That's a perfectly valid opinion, too. There's no deficit of imagination, failure as a designer or failure as a person behind Ridley's absence from the roster.

Sakurai just has a different opinion on what's important.

*He was way smaller in the NES game, but also way different. That's not the Ridley that anyone actually wants and it's definitely not how he'll appear in Smash so it's a waste of time to discuss it.
Bowser's size is also heavily manipulated in the console 3D Mario games, mostly to show his stature and his might, albeit not to the same extent as Ridley's is. Really there's not much to discuss about it, because we don't know Sakurai's stance on things, though he does seem to not really care much about canon sizes, with his comments about Olimar and Kirby and all. Still, he could always view Ridley as a special case or whatever.

Well, I was thinking about Ridley in general...

Do you think that, if Sakurai put in Ridley, it would make SSB4 top Brawl already?
Well, it's hard to talk gameplay already, but roster-wise, considering all of my favorites are pretty much locks with the exception of Ike, then yeah, it'd definitely beat Brawl roster-wise, which is something I only feel Ridley can do in the case that there will be cuts. Gameplay-wise it does sound like Sakurai has the right idea too, I'm stoked to see the execution.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Bowser's size is also heavily manipulated in the console 3D Mario games, mostly to show his stature and his might, albeit not to the same extent as Ridley's is. Really there's not much to discuss about it, because we don't know Sakurai's stance on things, though he does seem to not really care much about canon sizes, with his comments about Olimar and Kirby and all. Still, he could always view Ridley as a special case or whatever.

Well, it's hard to talk gameplay already, but roster-wise, considering all of my favorites are pretty much locks with the exception of Ike, then yeah, it'd definitely beat Brawl roster-wise, which is something I only feel Ridley can do in the case that there will be cuts. Gameplay-wise it does sound like Sakurai has the right idea too, I'm stoked to see the execution.
lt's nice having you to taIk to toobiggots. l never had the patience.

Top Bottom