• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Out of curiosity, I tried to match up the Super Metroid Samus and The Baby with the Melee pick, and size Samus as appropriate.

Samus ends up roughly the same size as Ridley's head. So Ridley is still pretty big in the Melee intro. We also see him from a more head-on perspective, so we can't see just how big his face and tail actually are.

You're correct about your more general point, how it shows that a smaller Ridley doesn't look weird, to some people. Other people may disagree.
Fan/Hater Logic.

How does this pic stand with you guys?

View attachment 2347
Does that size look simular to that Ridley picture but don't forget Ridley was right next to samus in that picture on the part when she jump and ridley pounced is without a doubt playable size on that Melee intro picture

Arteen

Smash Lord
Wait.... have you considered the possibility that Melee Ridley might not be small? That he is really big but appeared smaller than he really is because he is far away from the camera?

Oh, and remember that picture with Olimar and Kirby where Sakurai talked about their sizes? What if he wasn't talking about Ridley... but rather Chibi-Robo? :troll: That robot is relevant now with that 3DS photography game coming out in Japan this year. It even got a Puzzle Swap panel. :laugh:
Yes, that is exactly what I was showing there. I was replying to someone who claimed that Ridley wasn't actually that big in the picture.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Well at first I was very excited, until I realized how strange it was for him to be hinting so clearly at Ridley, then the stage hazard idea kicked in.

But reading it again, like I was saying before, it could ALSO just as well be read as Sakurai pointing out that, because this is the area you encounter Ridley in Other M, it's as though he could appear at any moment. Something like that is much more in line with what Sakurai typically does. A little blurb of the history associated with the update, y'know. Reading it like that, I think, solves all the confusion.

SAKURAI HAS HUMBLED ME GREATLY, I'm no where near saying I feel this puts Ridley closer to being confirmed, but I do remain a little hopeful.

Also you can't really put a time frame on Ridley's confirmation. We just have to look at each image of the Pyrosphere individually as Sakurai gives them to us, which should at most be bi-weekly. We'll surely get another character in less than a month, but for who it may be is anyone's guess really. The "at any moment" really shouldn't lead you to believe he's going to be confirmed soon. I am pretty confident we will see him before release if he is indeed playable. Maybe next E3? :awesome:

By the way, if Ridley doesn't get in, I think I'll suddenly become a supporter of DLC, lol.
Finally........someone said it....

Another thing I don't think people are really considering is that Ridley tends to be either completely hidden/secret (as in he'll hit you out of nowhere) in the games, or he'll be shown/have build up leading to his final battle, almost always being towards the end regardless.

I feel like Sakurai somewhat knows and acknowledges this in the games, with Ganondorf and Mewtwo especially considering they're always encountered late in their games and have been made hidden/unlockable characters to reflect that. For that reason I think Ridley along with K. Rool, Mewtwo if it comes back, and Bowser Jr./Dark Samus if they get in would only be shown beforehand to build up tremendous hype, which I certainly don't doubt they wouldn't, but ultimately I think it would be the best kind of shock/surprise if their inclusion was kept secret to the end. Of course not all of us are patient and just want to dispel the too-bigotry/stop worrying about it now, but I'd love to have that reaction of unlocking Mewtwo and Ganondorf in Melee again, only multiplied hundredfold with it being Ridley.
RealTalk my honey pot.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I don't think Sakurai can give a good reason to not include Ridley as playable at this point. Pretty much anything he could use would come off as an excuse and in reality, would boil down to "I'm not interested in Ridley being playable". If Ridley is indeed a stage hazard, Sakurai will have to deal with the full force of backlash for the decision and there is nothing he can do to justify himself. Even if someone were to argue that he'd be a difficult character to implement, one has to look no further than Mega Man, who according to Sakurai, is harder in some ways to get in than making the game itself. It doesn't help that Ridley's exclusion from this game would only serve to make a more negative environment in regards to Smash discussion which is the last thing the community needs.

So yeah, I'd be mad at Sakurai. Not just because of Ridley's inclusion, but more importantly, it would create scars in the Smash community that would never fully recover. That's why I see Ridley's inclusion as so important, even if he's not the character I'm the most invested in or affect my decision to buy this game.
STFU SAKURAI IS GOOD IT'S STILL A GOD GAME YOU FUKER

D

Deleted member

"Couldn't come up with solid vision of him playable" is an acceptable reason. He's already established this could hinder a character's inclusion. It also means it's not the end of the role for Ridley's future.

> "Not enough time" is another acceptable reason. Should Ridley prove especially difficult to implement, he could possibly be dropped at some point. Would suck for sure, but not the worst reason for his exclusion.
If Sakurai could come up with a satisfying vision for Snake, Sonic, Pokémon Trainer, Ice Climbers and Mega Man, he can definitely do so for Ridley. The characters I listed would be as hard, if not even harder, than implementing Ridley.

As for not enough time, that'd be the only reason I'd accept. However, I feel as Ridley will either be added or he won't be planned and that if he is in, he will be high priority.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well at first I was very excited, until I realized how strange it was for him to be hinting so clearly at Ridley, then the stage hazard idea kicked in.

But reading it again, like I was saying before, it could ALSO just as well be read as Sakurai pointing out that, because this is the area you encounter Ridley in Other M, it's as though he could appear at any moment. Something like that is much more in line with what Sakurai typically does. A little blurb of the history associated with the update, y'know. Reading it like that, I think, solves all the confusion.

SAKURAI HAS HUMBLED ME GREATLY, I'm no where near saying I feel this puts Ridley closer to being confirmed, but I do remain a little hopeful.

Also you can't really put a time frame on Ridley's confirmation. We just have to look at each image of the Pyrosphere individually as Sakurai gives them to us, which should at most be bi-weekly. We'll surely get another character in less than a month, but for who it may be is anyone's guess really. The "at any moment" really shouldn't lead you to believe he's going to be confirmed soon. I am pretty confident we will see him before release if he is indeed playable. Maybe next E3? :awesome:

By the way, if Ridley doesn't get in, I think I'll suddenly become a supporter of DLC, lol.
Why diden't I think of that the Ridley hint is hi. Simply quoting about how Ridley apeared in metroid other m and it probably won't be much longer till the result of Ridley I'm sure its going to happen Monday or one of the other days before september

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The game is going to do fine whether or not Ridley is going to be involved. One character isn't going to suddenly deteriorate the quality.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Why diden't I think of that the Ridley hint is hi. Simply quoting about how Ridley apeared in metroid other m and it probably won't be much longer till the result of Ridley I'm sure its going to happen Monday or one of the other days before september
Don't hold out for this Monday, the Monday pictures usually aren't anything big. It's usually on Tuesdays and Fridays interesting things are posted.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Ehh, I think I could be okay with some reasons from Sakurai. Frustrated, sure. But I'd likely be more relieve to have closure.

> "Too Big" would be the #1 most frustrating thing to hear, and us Ridley fans would get hell over it from the TooBigots. But it would mean that Sakurai genuinely felt such a size change wouldn't work well and/or would be too jarring to accept.

> "Isn't unique enough" however would be the worst possible reason Sakurai could give, and I'd just about lose all respect for him as a game designer.

> "Couldn't come up with solid vision of him playable" is an acceptable reason. He's already established this could hinder a character's inclusion. It also means it's not the end of the role for Ridley's future.

> "Not enough time" is another acceptable reason. Should Ridley prove especially difficult to implement, he could possibly be dropped at some point. Would suck for sure, but not the worst reason for his exclusion.

And here's one possibility I think could happen but we would never hear from him:

> "I wanted to but Sakamoto objected." Ooooohhh boy if we ever found out Sakamoto had something to do with Ridley's exclusion from the roster..... OHHH BOOOYYY...
Imo ''not enough time'' is one of the biggest slap in the face.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
If Sakurai could come up with a satisfying vision for Snake, Sonic, Pokémon Trainer, Ice Climbers and Mega Man, he can definitely do so for Ridley. The characters I listed would be as hard, if not even harder, than implementing Ridley.
Understand that saying "I couldn't come up with a satisfying vision" isn't the same as saying "I can't come up with a satisfying vision". Meaning Sakurai might come up with something later on, but at the current time just couldn't figure something out. This isn't the same as thinking up movesets. It's about being able to convincingly see a character doing everything it needs to be able to do in a Smash Bros. game. It's about developing a SOLID foundation within the mind.

For Sakurai, coming to that point might require external stimulus, or it would require enough brainstorming time to work out every angle until he feels that he has something to work with. Ever consider why Sakurai uses posable models to help him develop his character ideas?

In any case, yes Sakurai came up with Snake and Sonic and PT and whatever. They were successes. Meanwhile there could be other perfectly viable characters that Sakurai didn't successfully envision at the time. Both situations are perfectly within the realm for Ridley. Thus I'm okay with such an excuse because I understand where he's coming from in that regard.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Ehh, I think I could be okay with some reasons from Sakurai. Frustrated, sure. But I'd likely be more relieve to have closure.

> "Too Big" would be the #1 most frustrating thing to hear, and us Ridley fans would get hell over it from the TooBigots. But it would mean that Sakurai genuinely felt such a size change wouldn't work well and/or would be too jarring to accept.

> "Isn't unique enough" however would be the worst possible reason Sakurai could give, and I'd just about lose all respect for him as a game designer.

> "Couldn't come up with solid vision of him playable" is an acceptable reason. He's already established this could hinder a character's inclusion. It also means it's not the end of the role for Ridley's future.

And here's one possibility I think could happen but we would never hear from him:

> "I wanted to but Sakamoto objected." Ooooohhh boy if we ever found out Sakamoto had something to do with Ridley's exclusion from the roster..... OHHH BOOOYYY...
I would give him the ''RealTalk Punch'' to his heart it would look like a fatality from mortal kombat gore and all.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
It's perfectly obvious the game will be at least decent, but contrary to popular belief, Sakurai is not an infallible being and his every move should not be defended as if he were.

Ah yes, and on a similar note, if I end up not buying this game, it won't be because I'm boycotting it or lashing out against Nintendo, it'll be because it won't have piqued my interest enough to warrant me forking over a sizable wad of cash for it when I can enjoy its goodness at my cousins' houses or Best Buy. Appreciating the game does not necessarily equate to buying it.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Well we can do is wait but I sure waka too will accept if he's the creator of metroid of coarse or is he the creator of other m
Even i am having trouble reading that xD and im the worse....lmao.

Yo guyz something i was thinking since we are gonna ofc get one anyway...if Ridley gets revealed lets all Make it a BiG deal...go out and actually purchase a WiiU to overide the hype of the carage your in on the hype train! XD then post the pic of the sexy new WiiU Box along with a cheesy smile or something Ridley'ish?

Ima do it...well if i got the £ then i will RealTalk it would litreally just wanna make me go out and get one right now! Its that mad.....

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Understand that saying "I couldn't come up with a satisfying vision" isn't the same as saying "I can't come up with a satisfying vision". Meaning Sakurai might come up with something later on, but at the current time just couldn't figure something out. This isn't the same as thinking up movesets. It's about being able to convincingly see a character doing everything it needs to be able to do in a Smash Bros. game. It's about developing a SOLID foundation within the mind.

For Sakurai, coming to that point might require external stimulus, or it would require enough brainstorming time to work out every angle until he feels that he has something to work with. Ever consider why Sakurai uses posable models to help him develop his character ideas?

In any case, yes Sakurai came up with Snake and Sonic and PT and whatever. They were successes. Meanwhile there could be other perfectly viable characters that Sakurai didn't successfully envision at the time. Both situations are perfectly within the realm for Ridley. Thus I'm okay with such an excuse because I understand where he's coming from in that regard.
You do have a point. He didn't feel like he could pull Villager off faithfully in Brawl, but has obviously done so now. However, unlike Villager Ridley has been heavily requested for so many years now, with Ridley specifically it wouldn't be question whether he couldn't envision him in Smash this time around and he might do it the next time, if he can't envision Ridley as a character this time, then it's because he can't find a proper way to make him work at all.

Yo guyz something i was thinking since we are gonna ofc get one anyway...if Ridley gets revealed lets all Make it a BiG deal...go out and actually purchase a WiiU to overide the hype of the carage your in on the hype train! XD then post the pic of the sexy new WiiU Box along with a cheesy smile or something Ridley'ish?

Ima do it...well if i got the £ then i will RealTalk it would litreally just wanna make me go out and get one right now! Its that mad.....
Heck, I'd even buy a Deluxe version. I'm the kind of guy who always shows a lot of appreciation whenever good products are turned in. If a fantastic album is released I'm not shy to buy multiple of them, just to support the cause. This would be no exception.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

If ridley gets confirmed there will be so many excited gifs it will be unbelievable oh videos too

Steelia

Smash Champion
I'm still a bit butthurt over Nintendo trying to close the Evo stream (and waiting for Mewtwo confirmation), but if Ridley makes it in, I think I'd do it. At the very least, I may buy the game before I even get the console... Just put Wii U on my to-do list for when I'm not broke :oneeye:
Then spam Miiverse with support pictures of Ridley, Mewtwo, King K. Rool and others when I do.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
of topic but really curious please....

Q: does nintendo land come psychical or digital with the duluxe edition?
it's physical, unless you are getting the zombie U pack that I don't even think they sell anymore, then it's digital. (I have it physical.)

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Also, if Ridley is to be confirmed at the upcoming PAX Prime, he has August 30 (Friday) or September 1 (Monday) to be announced.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Also, if Ridley is to be confirmed at the upcoming PAX Prime, he has August 30 (Friday) or September 1 (Monday) to be announced.
My bets're on September.
So far, it's been 1 character reveal a month post-E3. And Sakurai doesn't have to suffer this tension like us since he knows how the roster's shaping up, so he can be as patient as long as he wants.......

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
You do have a point. He didn't feel like he could pull Villager off faithfully in Brawl, but has obviously done so now. However, unlike Villager Ridley has been heavily requested for so many years now, with Ridley specifically it wouldn't be question whether he couldn't envision him in Smash this time around and he might do it the next time, if he can't envision Ridley as a character this time, then it's because he can't find a proper way to make him work at all.
And you know, if Sakurai legitimately does not or cannot see Ridley as a character capable of 'dancing out at him' from the screen, I will 100% consider that a flaw of his...not necessarily of the game, but of him as a developer. It's tough to make comments like that and not receive unproductive snark along the lines of "Alright then, let's see you design Smash," but just like Sakurai isn't an infallible being, being a game developer doesn't give him access to some unadulterated reality about whether a character is functional or worth the effort. Such limitations are perpetuated entirely by him, because whether it's in fan movesets, fan games, Brawl hacks, or anything in between, Ridley has 'danced out at' many, many others, and could continue to do so in a future Smash game under new management, if he indeed misses out this time.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Errmmm...its hard to say when newcomers will be announced but we do know they will come with a video soooo...do you think they will just pop up on the site at random like veterans but with a poster and video or always announced at some sort of gaming event or N-Direct planned ahead because we all know newcomers will be announced very rarely...like probally every 4 or 5 Vets they will be a newcomer?

Im thinking the 2nd option...but uhh...i dunno....

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
@ Anomilus: Without quoting that entire huge post of yours, yeah. You may be right about the whole Sakurai and Metroid thing unfortunately. I sometimes wondered/thought about that myself, like when the only thing from Prime that was added as a stage in Brawl was something from the BEGINNING of the game. As for Ridley, yeah. He could very well think him as being only Kraid level of importance due to his limited knowledge of the series. Then again, Ridley's Brawl trophy description did imply he knew that Samus and Ridley had a deep past, as well as of course his quote about the Pyrosphere stage update...

And if Ridley's not in, maybe you're right. Maybe we should have done more to promote him as far as Twitter or something, but I guess that goes along with what I said about us needing to be even louder and possibly more aggressive in order to be heard right next time. Much as I hate for the Ridley support base to be more aggressive than it already is (heh), it may be a necessary evil.

I don't think Sakurai can give a good reason to not include Ridley as playable at this point. Pretty much anything he could use would come off as an excuse and in reality, would boil down to "I'm not interested in Ridley being playable". If Ridley is indeed a stage hazard, Sakurai will have to deal with the full force of backlash for the decision and there is nothing he can do to justify himself. Even if someone were to argue that he'd be a difficult character to implement, one has to look no further than Mega Man, who according to Sakurai, is harder in some ways to get in than making the game itself. It doesn't help that Ridley's exclusion from this game would only serve to make a more negative environment in regards to Smash discussion which is the last thing the community needs.

So yeah, I'd be mad at Sakurai. Not just because of Ridley's inclusion, but more importantly, it would create scars in the Smash community that would never fully recover. That's why I see Ridley's inclusion as so important, even if he's not the character I'm the most invested in or affect my decision to buy this game.
You're right, what was I thinking there. He wouldn't have a real justifiable reason not to include Ridley. Of course if he does provide a reason, whatever it is, I expect the sycophants to defend it while calling Ridley fans a bunch of butthurt ape**** fanboys, because that's how it usually works.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
@RidleyPrime....

Thats sad...but it could also be that he included something from the first prime at the start because it would be reconginzed by most people that played the game got to the first boss atleast....unlike someone like Omega Pirate even though hes sick xD.

But yh...thats sad man....real sad....

PS: I want Kraid back as a stage hazard that actually hurts players this time or a boss...for some reason i really wanna see Kraid ressuructed either in Sm4sh or Metroid U.

Hes gotta come back..too crazy and cool, mad.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
What will the backlash actually do in the end? Ridley also wasn't in Brawl. Neither was Mewtwo. An Brawl sold better than Melee.

Honestly, I doubt there'll be any SERIOUS backlashes for just one character. Heck, he could cut the 'almighty SAWNICK' and there'd be close to no damage. Only a few pissed Sonic fans.. Who will buy a Wii U anyway for the Sonic game, and most likely will get Smash anyway.

Unless Sakurai really goes out of his way, and cuts all the popular characters as Captain Falcon, Marth, MetaKnight, Diddy, Lucario, Mewtwo, Ness, Ganondorf, Ike, Peach... Or a combination of all of those characters, or all of them.

No way Ridley's exclusion alone will leave any serious impact on the Smash community. The only community in scars is this one, which is already quite a butthurt community as it is.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
What will the backlash actually do in the end? Ridley also wasn't in Brawl. Neither was Mewtwo. An Brawl sold better than Melee.

Honestly, I doubt there'll be any SERIOUS backlashes for just one character. Heck, he could cut the 'almighty SAWNICK' and there'd be close to no damage. Only a few pissed Sonic fans.. Who will buy a Wii U anyway for the Sonic game, and most likely will get Smash anyway.

Unless Sakurai really goes out of his way, and cuts all the popular characters as Captain Falcon, Marth, MetaKnight, Diddy, Lucario, Mewtwo, Ness, Ganondorf, Ike, Peach... Or a combination of all of those characters, or all of them.

No way Ridley's exclusion alone will leave any serious impact on the Smash community. The only community in scars is this one, which is already quite a butthurt community as it is.
Hmmm tbh..your right...i see more butthurt if sonic or mewtwo dont return than Ridley not in.

Ofc talking for the general masses....my but will be swolen if Ridley is not in but it will heal because i know him not making it is a very real possibilty not a low one either RealTalk.

EDIT: Support can be biased but RealTalk is never.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

No way Ridley's exclusion alone will leave any serious impact on the Smash community. The only community is scars is this one, which is already quite a butthurt community as it is.
We haven't really stated that the game's sales will be hurt if he isn't included, some of us have even admitted that it wouldn't hurt the sales much if at all. But hey, if we go by that logic, then why should Sakurai even go out of his way to include popular 3rd party characters like Mega Man and Sonic in the first place?

Sakurai isn't only in it for the money, and I'm sure you know this. He cares very much about us fans and giving us the best possible experience. While Sakurai is in no way a flawless designer I'm still glad that he's the man behind this game, if anyone's going to at least consider Ridley, it'll be him.

Oh, and about Sonic, I've met many people who bought Brawl just because they're big Sonic fans. No doubt many people would riot without Sonic, he's the one character that'd actually affect sales.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah, the amount of backlash Ridley's exclusion would have again might have been a bit exaggerated there maybe, though last I checked this community here is the Smash community, or are we just dividing the speculation part of the community from the non-speculators? In which case, yeah, Ridley's exclusion would only scar the speculating half, which I agree is a butthurt community as a whole, but it is what it is.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Everyone knows 3rd parties are different...its the same with all the fantasy talk of super hero who will win in a footrace the human torch or whatever blaghh blagh...u know what i mean....

3rd parties are in a different class they must be licensed bought so your obviously gonna get someine super popular to increase sales while still sticking to the char pick rules.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Not Smash, but a game from another series sold literally twice as much as its two predecessors combined - and it's considered the worst on the series. The Wii sold way more than X360 and PS3, yet all I hear is negativity about its motion controls/how it doesn't hold up well with the times, and how most people won't buy a Wii U because of their dissatisfaction with the Wii.
Don't let sales figures fool you...

If Ridley is not introduced as a character for the game on release, should we keep up the support & have Sakurai consider DLC for Ridley? Martian Manhunter was a stage character in Injustice, but was recently made into a playable character via DLC due to fan demand/votes.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I brought up the possibility of Ridley pulling a Martian Manhunter before :awesome: (<3 Injustice btw).

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Ridley has virtually no impact on sales, but at this point, I believe the omission of highly popular characters like him can only hurt the franchise long-term when it rode to fame on the backs of highly popular characters. It's kind of like how Nintendo's casual focus with the Wii didn't stop it from flying off the shelves, but it planted seeds of apathy and disinterest among what would other be a loyal group of customers who felt ignored, which is arguably resulting in the current performance of the Wii U.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
The casuals aren't loyal to Nintendo like its actual fans are. Much of the casualbase that supported the Wii have likely already moved on to Angry Birds and app things of the like, while Nintendo is left back with its old fans that it kind of ignored during the Wii gen, and are still waiting for them to bounce back with the Wii U...

Top Bottom