• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Louie G.

Smash Hero
If Ridley is a stage hazard, chances are we won't be seeing him in the game.
If he isn't, then he is almost definitely in the game.
It's a 50/50 chance, I see why everyone is so stressed about it.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I've said it once and I'll say it again.

If Ridley ends up being the stage hazard on that stage, there is little to no hope for him to be playable. It wouldn't make sense for Sakurai to put Super Metroid Ridley with Other M Samus.

Not to mention, before any of this started, everyone was sooooo sure that Ridley was going to be playable. So I can't see why people seriously think "Well Sakurai might do that..." The same idea was made up for Brawl, and we all know how that turned out.

Don't get me wrong, I think Ridley is still probably going to be playable, as he's in God Tier of popularity. However, i'm not going to be surprised if he isn't, and at this point I think it might be a good idea for everyone to brace themselves.
Owww i know....but not sure about everyone else....it would be greatest thing ever though...and my hype level for sm4sh will go over 9000 RealTalk.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Wait, if Ridley wont be a playable character, ill still need another Metroid rep!
Oh god for the last time no information about Ridley besides I just remembered the picture with kirby and olimar kirby is 8 cm and olimar is a inch tall that's another hint for Ridley

Oh yea this was the day that luigi got confirmed

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Regrettably I had some drama last night for staying up to see the daily update/getting into an argument for being up at 2 A.M. when I had class at 8, so I won't be staying up to see the proverbial ****storm that will happen when Sakurai doesn't include Ridley in a screenshot, or if he actually does reveal Ridley's role

I may also be taking a leave from this forum/the Internet in general to focus more on school or something.
S'okay. The picture update thing usually happens at 3:00 A.M. my time and I only managed to get away with seeing what it was just before goin to sleep last night because I got home pretty late. Still could've used at least a couple more hours of sleep so it wasn't worth it, nor is any kind of drama like what you must've went through.

Well see ya around I guess.. *hugs* Hope you don't end up having to go that far because of one bad night but if you do, I respect your decision.

I'm not entirely sure, but I believe it stemmed from a misinterpretation of something Sakurai said in a Nintendo Power interview.

Edit: I'm probably wrong though.
People have commonly misinterpreted Sakurai saying Ridley was too big because of that NP quote, though. smh

And lol @ people responding seriously to peeup.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Exactly, Sakurai doesn't copy like that. Though it is kind of fishy that he did pick the same location to begin with, so I honestly don't think he cares that much.
Ironically these are the same people that expect Sakurai to copy the "one off" rule with the 3rd party characters because other fighting games do it, and then detest everything else in every other fighting game.

If Ridley was anything on this stage if he wasn't playable, it would be a boss. This is a perfect spot for a Ridley boss battle, much like how the Dr. Wily's Castle stage is a perfect spot for a Dr. Wily or Yellow Devil boss battle(s). Of course, that doesn't mean Ridley can't be playable and a boss (in adventure mode or whatever) as well. ;)

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
People have commonly misinterpreted Sakurai saying Ridley was too big because of that NP quote, though. smh
Or the "Iwata Asks" interview where he said the Animal Crossing Villager wasn't a fighter=??? :awesome:
Ridley as a stage hazard will be a great waste of potential and a big demostration of lazyness.
It would literally mean the development team passed on one of the most potentially unique newcomers because he didn't seek to innovate, which I don't see happening.

The same is true with K. Rool, and to top it all off, both characters could help add more true heavyweights (sorry, Link, a skinny little 5'6 guy who weighs 160 pounds at most is not a heavyweight), and to top off their uniqueness they are major characters from major franchises who are also the two most wanted potential newcomers left.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
How does this pic stand with you guys?

View attachment 2347

This is the best Ridley size i've seen for Smash yet. I say it's fairly comparable to Super Metroid Ridley in stature. Man this wait is killing me. If Sakurai had said nothing on the subject I would have quietly waited until the release of the game. Now though... that tease!!!

CalumG

Smash Lord
The funniest thing will be if Ridley is playable but his moveset ends up not being all that special, leaving the "Ridley is one of the most unique newcomer possibilites" faction to sit around in a pool of their own tears. :troll:

Xhampi

Smash Lord
The funniest thing will be if Ridley is playable but his moveset ends up not being all that special, leaving the "Ridley is one of the most unique newcomer possibilites" faction to sit around in a pool of their own tears. :troll:
I think that we will be too happy to care, even if he end up as a Charizard/Bowser clone.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Not really.

I mean, Pit in Brawl was just pure crap, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have potential. So far, it appears that Sakurai has tapped into that potential, which is why 3 of his 4 specials were changed, and his aerial game looks entirely different.

Lucario, the Pokémon Trainer (concept), and Sonic were all similarly underwhelming, but that doesn't mean they don't still have untapped potential.

Basically, it's like just because a baseball player only has a .250 batting average this season doesn't mean that he can't live up to his potential of hitting .330 sometime in the future.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
This is the best Ridley size i've seen for Smash yet. I say it's fairly comparable to Super Metroid Ridley in stature. Man this wait is killing me. If Sakurai had said nothing on the subject I would have quietly waited until the release of the game. Now though... that tease!!!
Looks great.

His wings should have disjointed physics, like the sword(s) of Link, Marth, etc...
That would make him feel smaller defensively.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
For the record I'll still probably be on here during weekday mornings as I have nothing better to do during class (seriously learning the basic course during the first 6 weeks is just boring to a whole new level), though Thursday is my last day for the week. I'll always find a way to make time for Ridley.

Groose

Smash Champion
Cool. I can't wait to see Ridley being a 3-in-1 character. I bet he will switch with Anthony Higs and Dark Samus. This way we have 5 Metroid characters.

Only if Adam is the "Pokemon Trainer" of the trio and he has to "authorize" every character switch. :troll:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
While they always innovate in other ways, i think they passed very original ideas.
All three newcomers confirmed thus far are all very original characters. The Villager's uniqueness was a bit hidden, the Wii Fit Trainer was obviously overlooked, and Mega Man's uniqueness was apparent to anyone with two good eyes that has seen or played a Mega Man game and has any bit of common sense in them.

Also, Captain Falcon, Fox, Pikachu, Yoshi (so much untapped potential there), Donkey Kong (again, lots of untapped potential), Ness, Lucas, Jigglypuff, Kirby, Zelda (we haven't even seen much of her potential, sans mods like Project M, Balanced Brawl, and Brawl Minus), Mewtwo, Sheik, Link, the Ice Climbers, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Marth, Mr. Game & Watch, Pit, Wario, Meta Knight, King Dedede, Snake, Olimar, Lucario, the Pokémon Trainer and all of his Pokémon, Sonic, ROB, etc.

peeup

Smash Lord
Any character can be very "original" or "innovative", it really doesn't take a lot of imagination to make a new, cool, fun, different moveset for literally any character ever. So saying that any character has untapped potential is very much a fluffy statement, as it could be said about any character regardless of how interesting their moveset is. There's always untapped potential.

Also Ridley is too big.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Any character can be very "original" or "innovative", it really doesn't take a lot of imagination to make a new, cool, fun, different moveset for literally any character ever. So saying that any character has untapped potential is very much a fluffy statement, as it could be said about any character regardless of how interesting their moveset is. There's always untapped potential.

Also Ridley is too big.
Unless your joking. Looks like someone diden't look at the most recent playable size picture by dark phazon

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Not really. I mean, Toad doesn't have anything unique he could do that other characters can't. Ridley does, with his unique build, his long tail, his expansive wingspan, his claws, his teeth, his various projectile attacks, and lots of moves he has used historically from his games.

And also, the uniqueness of the Wii Fit Trainer and Mega Man were self-evident. It was literally written in the character's DNA basically, the same way it was written for say Marth and Ike.

The Villager, although unique, had to have a bit of "outside" inspiration, similar to what was done with Captain Falcon (basically he's a Power Ranger), Fox (his moves come from Arwings), and Mario (he's classic Mario mixed with Ryu).
Also Ridley is too big.
You do know you are the dumbest kind of troll on the planet, right=???

I think we're all pretty much indifferent to this kind of idiocy, and it doesn't work.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
on miiverse, all the arguments are "too big" and "too cool".

I even got someone saying "why don't we make King K Rool, Porky and Andross playable too?"

to which my response was "dude the only one that wouldn't work as a fighter is andross"

Top Bottom