• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

R_Trigger

Smash Cadet
Seeing Samus in this game isn't a complete copy and paste, I do hope they at least make changes on Other M Ridley's head, cause that's honestly the only part I am not too fond of the design.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If you loveeeeeee orange juice and If your starved of water for 1 and a half days and you finally get your hands on some apple juice....are you gonna not drink it......

Not juice, but Kel is still awesome

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I've said it once and I'll say it again.

If Ridley ends up being the stage hazard on that stage, there is little to no hope for him to be playable. It wouldn't make sense for Sakurai to put Super Metroid Ridley with Other M Samus.

Not to mention, before any of this started, everyone was sooooo sure that Ridley was going to be playable. So I can't see why people seriously think "Well Sakurai might do that..." The same idea was made up for Brawl, and we all know how that turned out.

Don't get me wrong, I think Ridley is still probably going to be playable, as he's in God Tier of popularity. However, i'm not going to be surprised if he isn't, and at this point I think it might be a good idea for everyone to brace themselves.

bobadz

Smash Ace
No Ridley is not a deal breaker for me, but I would be slightly disappointed. But, I'm not giving up hope until he is confirmed to be not playable.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

If Ridley ends up being the stage hazard on that stage, there is little to no hope for him to be playable. It wouldn't make sense for Sakurai to put Super Metroid Ridley with Other M Samus.

Not to mention, before any of this started, everyone was sooooo sure that Ridley was going to be playable. So I can't see why people seriously think "Well Sakurai might do that..." The same idea was made up for Brawl, and we all know how that turned out.

Don't get me wrong, I think Ridley is still probably going to be playable, as he's in God Tier of popularity. However, i'm not going to be surprised if he isn't, and at this point I think it might be a good idea for everyone to brace themselves.
Nice job you probably just started the argument again

And I realized the quote an enemy of samus could apear any second now this an opion. He's secretly saying Ridley could apear any day in other words being confirmed and sakurai is caring for the fans of what they want he does not take demands of fans and he probably knows about Ridley being the most wanted character to be playable

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Nice job you probably just started the argument again

And I realized the quote an enemy of samus could apear any second now this an opion. He's secretly saying Ridley could apear any day in other words being confirmed and sakurai is caring for the fans of what they want he does not take demands of fans and he probably knows about Ridley being the most wanted character to be playable
What argument would start? There's a difference between being hopeful and being stupid about it. There is reality to face here, and that reality is that Ridley may not be playable. I already know all of what you just said.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Thinking Ridley has a chance at being playable if he's a stage hazard is pretty desperate, not even I'm so desperate. I remember back in Brawl's big leaking time when I found out Ridley was a boss, great great dissapointment, however, all hope was not lost, because Meta Ridley was apparently in the game too! I could just imagine it, Ridley comes back later in SSE having been rebuild, and is an unlockable character as Meta Ridley only. I thought it all made sense, especially since Prime was the big thing back then. But of course not, and it was only pouring salt into the wound just because I had made my own unrealistic expectations. Even then Meta Ridley as a character but normal Ridley as a boss would have been super awkward in Boss Battle mode.

Point is, it's best for people's own sake to just give up on Ridley if he's a stage hazard, instead of being struck down by even more dissapointment later on. Ridley as a stage hazard will automatically deconfirm him.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well there's still hope so never give up but believe me if Ridley fails to be playable again that's alright with me.I mean there are just as desired characters like mewtwo king k rool little Mac sonic and the recenty confirmed megaman so many more desired characters if Ridley fails again but still a 50/50 shot of Ridley being playable because of the picture

bobadz

Smash Ace
Not related to the current discussion, but when and why did the "Ridley's too big" thing start up?

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
Yeah,this isn't like Toon Link or DK,they're veterans,they're already part of the roster so being part of the background in some form isn't a big deal but Ridley would be a newcommer,so if he isn't playable during development,he just isn't after it.

Realizing this isn't a bad thing,it's not against Ridley.It's against Despair.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Regrettably I had some drama last night for staying up to see the daily update/getting into an argument for being up at 2 A.M. when I had class at 8, so I won't be staying up to see the proverbial ****storm that will happen when Sakurai doesn't include Ridley in a screenshot, or if he actually does reveal Ridley's role

I may also be taking a leave from this forum/the Internet in general to focus more on school or something.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Regrettably I had some drama last night for staying up to see the daily update/getting into an argument for being up at 2 A.M. when I had class at 8, so I won't be staying up to see the proverbial ****storm that will happen when Sakurai doesn't include Ridley in a screenshot, or if he actually does reveal Ridley's role

I may also be taking a leave from this forum/the Internet in general to focus more on school or something.
That's kind of sad, but of course if it's necessary then of course it's best to put focus elsewhere. Just remember to dump in here once Ridley's role is revealed ;)

Honestly, right now I'd rather that he doesn't include Ridley in any daily pictures before I see a trailer for him first, or at least a character page, so I'm not complaining when he's not in a screenshot. There's not really much reason to stay up for it since we won't know when the reveal might happen. Luckily for me the updates come while I'm in school, and since I study as a web designer I have plenty of opportunity to see the screenshot go up by the minute, really grateful for that after reading this.

Groose

Smash Champion
That's kind of sad, but of course if it's necessary then of course it's best to put focus elsewhere. Just remember to dump in here once Ridley's role is revealed ;)

Honestly, right now I'd rather that he doesn't include Ridley in any daily pictures before I see a trailer for him first, or at least a character page, so I'm not complaining when he's not in a screenshot. There's not really much reason to stay up for it since we won't know when the reveal might happen. Luckily for me the updates come while I'm in school, and since I study as a web designer I have plenty of opportunity to see the screenshot go up by the minute, really grateful for that after reading this.

They hit me at four in the morning. Too late to stay up for, too early to wake up for.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Not related to the current discussion, but when and why did the "Ridley's too big" thing start up?
I'm not entirely sure, but I believe it stemmed from a misinterpretation of something Sakurai said in a Nintendo Power interview.

Edit: I'm probably wrong though.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
6 PM here, and I am theorizing that we will here on the whole Ridley situation on August 28. Why? BECAUSE LOGIC AND PROPHECY... :alien:

Xhampi

Smash Lord
I think that Ridley is currently hiding because of someone.
Who, you ask me ? Well from those nasty fairy pokemons of course.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
6 PM here, and I am theorizing that we will here on the whole Ridley situation on August 28. Why? BECAUSE LOGIC AND PROPHECY... :alien:
I doubt we would hear anything about another character until early September. Whether it's Ridley, another Newcomer or a Veteran is anyone's guess.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
Also, regardless of if Ridley Is a stage hazard or playable, I want this to be the second metroid stage-

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm not entirely sure, but I believe it stemmed from a misinterpretation of something Sakurai said in a Nintendo Power interview.

Edit: I'm probably wrong though.
No... I believe the "too big" meme started long before the first Brawl trailer was even shown. This was at the time when Metroid Prime, Metroid Fusion, and Metroid: Zero Mission were still new and they all portrayed Ridley as a rather large enemy boss.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
If they can make Giga Bowser playable (who is even bigger than Ridley's size in Brawl, by the way), I think he wouldn't be hard to implement AT ALL.

The issue at hand is actually balance.

The "Too Big" meme has spawned a number of derivations, mostly "X character is too Y" :laugh:

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
So about the stage hazard to boss thing... There would either have to be two Ridley models in the game or they'd have to use an upscaled version of the playable model and have it do stuff it may not be able to do in its playable state.

If there's one thing I've observed, it's that playable models are often the most detailed parts of the game aside from the stages themselves. Meanwhile, stage characters are often less detailed. The only exception I've seen is the Brawl bosses, and that's because you still directly interacted with them.

If Ridley is a stage hazard, his model will not receive the level of treatment playable characters receive (which sucks...). At best it'll be a cleaner version of his Other M form (because I'm positive the actual Other M model is not up to par for a Smash game). So if he's revealed as a stage hazard, the quality of the model will further prove his official status. But no way would they make two very different models of the same character. Unless they secretly love Ridley that much. Which they should. But they don't. Because they're infidels.

Top Bottom