• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Any character can be very "original" or "innovative", it really doesn't take a lot of imagination to make a new, cool, fun, different moveset for literally any character ever. So saying that any character has untapped potential is very much a fluffy statement, as it could be said about any character regardless of how interesting their moveset is. There's always untapped potential.

Also Ridley is too big.
If you're gonna be a detractor at least be "original" and "innovative" instead of repeating stuff we've been countering for a decade. Same goes for your trolling.

peeup

Smash Lord
Ridley's too big. That aside, though,
Not really. I mean, Toad doesn't have anything unique he could do that other characters can't. Ridley does, with his unique build, his long tail, his expansive wingspan, his claws, his teeth, his various projectile attacks, and lots of moves he has used historically from his games.

And also, the uniqueness of the Wii Fit Trainer and Mega Man were self-evident. It was literally written in the character's DNA basically, the same way it was written for say Marth and Ike.

The Villager, although unique, had to have a bit of "outside" inspiration, similar to what was done with Captain Falcon (basically he's a Power Ranger), Fox (his moves come from Arwings), and Mario (he's classic Mario mixed with Ryu)
On the surface, yeah Toad is a whole lot less interesting than Ridley. And yeah, I would really hate to have Toad be in Sm4sh because he's bland as white bread and water. However, he could be potentially given a set to represent all the Mario spinoff games. He could spend the entire game in a Mario Kart, giving him impressive ground mobility but horrible air speed. This kart would make him a heavyweight, yet still speedy. He could use all sorts of balls and such from all the Mario sports games, giving him a unique long distance game unlike any other character. He could enact all sorts of interesting shenanigans from various minigames in Mario Party, giving him a Villager-esque quirk to a hefty portion of his moveset. And that's all straight off the top of my head, we now have a fast campy heavyweight with lots of crazy animations and hitboxes the likes of which Smash hasn't seen.

And for a frame of reference, I think Villager and WFT were both superb choices and I'm hugely looking forward to playing both of them. MegaMan too, of course.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
If you're gonna be a detractor at least be "original" and "innovative" instead of repeating stuff we've been countering for a decade. Same goes for your trolling.
We deserve a better brand of troll.

Like seriously, one that request the SA-X, Mother Brain is a great character idea, that Fusion Suit Samus more unique than Ridley, or that Light Suit Samus is a different character from (Power/Varia Suit) Samus.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'm not sure why everyone is taking peeup seriously. He's just messing with you. :p :laugh:

Groose

Smash Champion
All three newcomers confirmed thus far are all very original characters. The Villager's uniqueness was a bit hidden, the Wii Fit Trainer was obviously overlooked, and Mega Man's uniqueness was apparent to anyone with two good eyes that has seen or played a Mega Man game and has any bit of common sense in them.

On the contrary, John, I knew the Villager was brimming with potential. A moveset that focuses around the tools in Animal Crossing is something that I've always desired to see, and the execution is spot-on. I always preferred the idea of Tom Nook having the Villager's moveset (he does sell the tools, after all, and he is more iconic and has personaility), but the Villager reveal was one of my dreams come true.

But I can definitely see Ridley being even more unique. Give him a hunched over stance and make his attacks deceptively fast and long ranged. A quick tailswipe followed by a slash of the claws there, finish with a fireball. Then.... oh god... when he gets into the air, watch out. Plenty of aerial options would make him one of if not the biggest aerial threats in the game... whew... Gotta calm myself down. I'm trying to not get my hopes up at this point, and describing my ideal Ridley playstyle isn't helping.

Playable Ridley is only behind playable K. Rool on my want list. The only reason I want K. Rool more is because he's a bigger part of my childhood (loved the games and the cartoon), and because I tend to like characters who are projectile-based. Ridley would have fireballs, yes, but K. Rool could have a Crown/Blunderbuss Kombo that I know I would enjoy playing around with.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Ridley's too big. That aside, though,

On the surface, yeah Toad is a whole lot less interesting than Ridley. And yeah, I would really hate to have Toad be in Sm4sh because he's bland as white bread and water. However, he could be potentially given a set to represent all the Mario spinoff games.
So could a hundred other characters in Mario spin-off titles, which thus doesn't make Toad unique, but rather, have a pool of potential moves every other character knows.

With say the Villager with certain moves that could be applied to Tom Nook, we've never actually seen Tom Nook wield a fish rod, a bug catching net, or a axe in Animal Crossing, whereas with the Villager, we've seen Animal Crossing human characters (we control) use those things all the time, and thus, those are something of an Animal Crossing Villager's signature move of sorts, because those moves are recognized as inherently the Villager's moves first, before any and all Animal Crossing characters.

Toad doesn't have a signature move like that to my knowledge, whereas the Villager does, and Ridley definitely does as well.

On top of that, Ridley could change smash gameplay forever like Snake, Olimar, and the Ice Climbers did, by having a unique gameplay changing thing, such as a pathetic ground game but Godlike aerial game, an aerial grab game, aerial grab and special/aerial combos, his unique stance creating unique situations, etc.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
On the contrary, John, I knew the Villager was brimming with potential. A moveset that focuses around the tools in Animal Crossing is something that I've always desired to see, and the execution is spot-on. I always preferred the idea of Tom Nook having the Villager's moveset (he does sell the tools, after all, and he is more iconic and has personaility), but the Villager reveal was one of my dreams come true.

But I can definitely see Ridley being even more unique. Give him a hunched over stance and make his attacks deceptively fast and long ranged. A quick tailswipe followed by a slash of the claws there, finish with a fireball. Then.... oh god... when he gets into the air, watch out. Plenty of aerial options would make him one of if not the biggest aerial threats in the game... whew... Gotta calm myself down. I'm trying to not get my hopes up at this point, and describing my ideal Ridley playstyle isn't helping.

Playable Ridley is only behind playable K. Rool on my want list. The only reason I want K. Rool more is because he's a bigger part of my childhood (loved the games and the cartoon), and because I tend to like characters who are projectile-based. Ridley would have fireballs, yes, but K. Rool could have a Crown/Blunderbuss Kombo that I know I would enjoy playing around with.
You ought to know how big a fan of Ridley I am, but even I have to admit that K. Rool has the potential to have the most whacky, funny and unique moveset in the whole game.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Anyways I'm going to be so mad if the result of Ridley being a playable or hazard is not tomarrowi want to know if I need to get the Tim curry 2000 new years celebration picture or just hope for king k rool and little Mac and mewtwo and sonic and ROB

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Your right, but I really think Ridley should come first. Dark Samus would be a good last-minute-addition-semi-clone character.

Edit: The whole Smash ignoring Metroid Prime thing doesn't necessarily help.
Yes, for shure, Ridleys deserve his spot first. Im shure Dark Samus can be a very original character judging by the way she attacks in Prime 2 & 3, but yes, knowing sakurai, he would see Dark Sammy as a clone.

Maybe a little Metroid Prime love would be a Corruption based stage, since Prime 3 and Other M are the only Metroid games launched after Brawl.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
So could a hundred other characters in Mario spin-off titles, which thus doesn't make Toad unique, but rather, have a pool of potential moves every other character knows.

With say the Villager with certain moves that could be applied to Tom Nook, we've never actually seen Tom Nook wield a fish rod, a bug catching net, or a axe in Animal Crossing, whereas with the Villager, we've seen Animal Crossing human characters (we control) use those things all the time, and thus, those are something of an Animal Crossing Villager's signature move of sorts, because those moves are recognized as inherently the Villager's moves first, before any and all Animal Crossing characters.

Toad doesn't have a signature move like that to my knowledge, whereas the Villager does, and Ridley definitely does as well.

On top of that, Ridley could change smash gameplay forever like Snake, Olimar, and the Ice Climbers did, by having a unique gameplay changing thing, such as a pathetic ground game but Godlike aerial game, an aerial grab game, aerial grab and special/aerial combos, his unique stance creating unique situations, etc.
Plus, wouldn't Waluigi be better for a spin-off rep and Toad as a New Super Mario rep?

Groose

Smash Champion
As I said, Tom Nook is the one who sells you the tools and even teaches you how to use them. He could have played the same way as villager... and brought another "villain" to the table.

I'm not sure why everyone is taking peeup seriously. He's just messing with you. :p :laugh:
Oh, I'm aware. I don't feed trolls. The only reason it's getting out of hand is that people keep replying to him.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
As I said, Tom Nook is the one who sells you the tools and even teaches you how to use them. He could have played the same way as villager... and brought another "villain" to the table.

Oh, I'm aware. I don't feed trolls. The only reason it's getting out of hand is that people keep replying to him.
Nook's still got a shot. I mean, he glanced down at the letter in the trailer, but Animal Crossing only needs Villager.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
You ought to know how big a fan of Ridley I am, but even I have to admit that K. Rool has the potential to have the most whacky, funny and unique moveset in the whole game.
K. Rool's moveset would have more potential to be more unique because it is more "out there."

Ridley's uniqueness really comes from his skillset and playstyle, which is potentially predominately unlike any we've seen before. K. Rool is very unique in terms of his potential for his skillset and playstyle, but quite frankly Ridley is just far more unique in that area.

peeup

Smash Lord
Agreed on all counts. I only quoted this part because I meant to address this but I clearly didn't do it well.

Yeah, Ridley could change Smash forever by having a Godlike aerial game, an aerial grab game, etc etc. So could a whole host of other Nintendo characters. Off the top of my head, Charizard (not saying that to be a troll), Dyna Blade, any Star Fox character in their Arwing.

In a similar manner, there are many other characters that could have introduced a campy, remote explosive type of gameplay that Snake innovated; many other characters could have introduced an ammo oriented style of play that Olimar did; many other characters could have been a tag team like Ice Climbers. Point being, yeah, lots of characters created new and interesting fighting styles. And that's awesome. However, there are dozens of other characters that could have done the same thing. Yes, Ridley could introduce some sweet gameplay that Smash hasn't seen yet. But that hardly makes him unique when Nintendo has like a million characters, many of which could be made to fit that exact style of gameplay, many without a stretch of the imagination.

PS for what it's worth, this isn't me trolling, this is real thought.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
Plus, wouldn't Waluigi be better for a spin-off rep and Toad as a New Super Mario rep?
Nope, Waluigi represents his own series called "Waluigis Oil Company" an has been in several games since 2034. They all have a perfect metacritic score of %19 and have been nominated for several sh_t of the year awards. Sakurai will promote him from assist trophy to stage hazard :troll: in SSB8.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Like I said, "signature move." Tom Nook isn't recognized as having those weapons as part of his repertoire. Think of how Peach famously using turnips is more recognized with her than it is Toad, Mario, or Luigi.

Of course, that's not to say that Tom Nook won't be playable (there is a microscopic chance he can be, although probably as clone, and his background appearance hurts hos chances), but just that the Villager using said moves is more iconic, and the Villager is also more iconic, which is why the Villager was confirmed and Tom Nook was not.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
With Ridley's possible aerials and his ability to breath fire balls, I can imagine him playing a more campy style game, but would probably excellent finishers as well.

Though, on the ground he would play rather poor compared to in the air.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yeah, Ridley could change Smash forever by having a Godlike aerial game, an aerial grab game, etc etc. So could a whole host of other Nintendo characters. Off the top of my head, Charizard (not saying that to be a troll), Dyna Blade, any Star Fox character in their Arwing.
Arwings don't grab last I checked, Charizard is primarily a land character despite his wings, and I don't know what Dyna Blade is.

Whereas Ridley primarily attacks from the air and relies a lot more on grabs than say Charizard, and thus, Ridley playing that way is "more true to his character." No other Nintendo character is really like that, or at least, no other nearly as iconic Nintendo character, unless you realllllly bend said characters just to spite Ridley.

Similarly with Snake, him using explosives is true to his character, because he does use those moves, and because as a secret agent of sorts, he relies primarily on indirect combat, and explosives, zoning, and minimal hand to hand combat are all ways to enforce that.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
K. Rool's moveset would have more potential to be more unique because it is more "out there."

Ridley's uniqueness really comes from his skillset and playstyle, which is potentially predominately unlike any we've seen before. K. Rool is very unique in terms of his potential for his skillset and playstyle, but quite frankly Ridley is just far more unique in that area.
It's true that they'd excel at different points, it's actually really just a matter of perspective.

Anyways I'm going to be so mad if the result of Ridley being a playable or hazard is not tomarrowi want to know if I need to get the Tim curry 2000 new years celebration picture or just hope for king k rool and little Mac and mewtwo and sonic and ROB
I'm not holding out for tommorow, I can easily see us slip into September before we might get anything. If he's a hazard, then going from past patterns we should see him next week, since Sakurai has been revealing both parts of the Reset Bomb stage and Pilotwings stage with a week and a day in between both. If he's a character, I can expect him to take a bit more time than that.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Like I said, "signature move." Tom Nook isn't recognized as having those weapons as part of his repertoire. Think of how Peach famously using turnips is more recognized with her than it is Toad, Mario, or Luigi.

Of course, that's not to say that Tom Nook won't be playable (there is a microscopic chance he can be, although probably as clone, and his background appearance hurts hos chances), but just that the Villager using said moves is more iconic, and the Villager is also more iconic, which is why the Villager was confirmed and Tom Nook was not.
Nook has a background appearance?
Yeah, I don't see him getting in at all now.
Not that I truly did, but that's kind of the reason I ruled out Toon Link.

Edit: Dyna Blade is a Kirby Boss Johnknight.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
As much as a I hate to admit it, maybe (although I never use the word "rep" because characters only "rep" themselves). Waluigi would be a better spin-off Mario game character and a better "new era" Mario character, whereas Toad would be a better Super Mario character (since Waluigi hasn't been playable in a non-Mario sports game sans Mario Party and DDR), as well as a better "historic" Mario character.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077

tom nook has a BG appearance?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
It's true that they'd excel at different points, it's actually really just a matter of perspective.
In my opinion it comes down to what you value more: unique playstyle or unique moveset in terms of saying whether K. Rool or Ridley are more unique.

I tend to think playstyle is the most important thing, which, again, is why I side with Ridley on that matter. Still, there is good reasoning in siding with K. Rool and moveset, so I don't even debate with people when they say the opposite is true because of that, as well as the fact that it just comes down to a matter of values in terms of what you want most in smash characters, as well as personal preferences.
tom nook has a BG appearance?
My mistake, that's Redd I saw.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
In my opinion it comes down to what you value more: unique playstyle or unique moveset in terms of saying whether K. Rool or Ridley are more unique.

I tend to think playstyle is the most important thing, which, again, is why I side with Ridley on that matter. Still, there is good reasoning in siding with K. Rool and moveset, so I don't even debate with people when they say the opposite is true because of that, as well as the fact that it just comes down to a matter of values in terms of what you want most in smash characters, as well as personal preferences.
Amen.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Ridley as a stage hazard will be a great waste of potential and a big demostration of lazyness.
Yeah, even compared to how he was executed as a boss twice in Brawl him being a stage hazard would be lazy, especially since Smash wouldn't be the first fighter to have him in that role, on that same stage. Disappointing as it still would be I'd still rather have him as a boss than a stage hazard, though there's still some cool things that could come out of him being the latter at least.

The funniest thing will be if Ridley is playable but his moveset ends up not being all that special, leaving the "Ridley is one of the most unique newcomer possibilites" faction to sit around in a pool of their own tears. :troll:
So it would be the Ganondorf thing all over again? Eh, better than nothing I guess, but as someone else said, I think we'll be too happy to care, for at least the first year or so of playing the game.

Only if Adam is the "Pokemon Trainer" of the trio and he has to "authorize" every character switch. :troll:
Adam authorizing/commanding Dark Samus in particular would be extremely funny. I guess to him it would be just another version of someone he fostered when they were younger, and not a leviathan/radioactive Metroid that absorbed one of Samus's suits.

And be honest guys. peeup's a much better troll than what we've usually had here before. That's what y'all really mean right?

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
R.I.D.L.E.Y.
R= Rad
I= Isn't to big
D= Dark Samus is an abomination
L= Likely won't be a stage hazard
E= Extremely cool
Y= You want him in

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Plus they're both so damn unique, you should want both characters (Ridley and K. Rool) playable, even if you don't like them in their respective series. I mean just everything with potential moves they could bring to the table would be nothing short of a breath of fresh air in regards to playable characters.

Passing them over would be a huge mistake for Sakurai and co, because of all the possibilities the two bring to the table, which is why I don't see that happening.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Agreed on all counts. I only quoted this part because I meant to address this but I clearly didn't do it well.

But Ridley is the ideal pioneer because he best encompasses all these potential fresh mechanics.

In a similar manner, there are many other characters that could have introduced a campy, remote explosive type of gameplay that Snake innovated;
You'll have to actually drop names however. Names that would usurp Snake as the ideal pioneer of Smash-style explosive-based zoning. What other Nintendo characters with Snake's level of all-star power manipulates explosive devices like him?

many other characters could have introduced an ammo oriented style of play that Olimar did;
Olimar isn't an ammo-oriented style fighter. He's basically a drone summoning fighter with a unique edge in that his drones follow him and can be managed mid-play. Unless you're going to reference other characters who use their "ammo" for melee attacks.

many other characters could have been a tag team like Ice Climbers.
This is a bit more true. At the very least Diddy and Dixie could have been ideal pioneers for this style of play. Ice Climbers were selected more for their retro status than the teamwork gimmick.

Point being, yeah, lots of characters created new and interesting fighting styles. And that's awesome. However, there are dozens of other characters that could have done the same thing. Yes, Ridley could introduce some sweet gameplay that Smash hasn't seen yet. But that hardly makes him unique when Nintendo has like a million characters, many of which could be made to fit that exact style of gameplay, many without a stretch of the imagination.
And which of these "millions of characters" would you dare put over Ridley that would be capable of dominating the skies as an aggressive mix of rush down and aerial grappling? Would that character actually be able to execute that style of play AND possess the star power to match or exceed Ridley??

Oh yeah, and no to Charizard, because he's already in and does not dominate the air. Charizard is a mostly ground-based heavy hitter with a bit more aerial agility than other heavy characters. Frankly, he ain't all that unique as far as I'm concerned.

peeup

Smash Lord
Arwings don't grab last I checked, Charizard is primarily a land character despite his wings, and I don't know what Dyna Blade is.

Use your imagination. Fox doesn't have a reflector, last I checked. Captain Falcon can't punch fire, last I checked. Jigglypuff using Rest doesn't deal massive damage, last I checked. Similarly, Jigglypuff is primarily a land character, and yet in Smash for some reason she was turned into an aerial God.

Whereas Ridley primarily attacks from the air and relies a lot more on grabs than say Charizard, and thus, Ridley playing that way is "more true to his character." No other Nintendo character is really like that, or at least, no other nearly as iconic Nintendo character, unless you realllllly bend said characters just to spite Ridley.

I don't want to spite Ridley at all. I don't particularly care for his inclusion because I never really got in to Metroid, but I don't dislike him as a character at all. I do however think it isn't hugely wise to go all fanboy for a character with their potential gameplay as a main selling point, seeing as potential gameplay is A) entirely speculative, and B) pretty universal in the sense that any character can be made to fit any fighting trope.

Similarly with Snake, him using explosives is true to his character, because he does use those moves, and because as a secret agent of sorts, he relies primarily on indirect combat, and explosives, zoning, and minimal hand to hand combat are all ways to enforce that.

There are lots and lots and lots of video game characters who use explosives/indirect combat/minimal hand to hand combat. He isn't really special in that regard.
You'll have to actually drop names however. Names that would usurp Snake as the ideal pioneer of Smash-style explosive-based zoning. What other Nintendo characters with Snake's level of all-star power manipulates explosive devices like him?

Not a Nintendo character, but Bentley from Sly Cooper comes to mind. He's an explosives expert with timed bombs and remote bombs, and he could easily be imagined to have proximity bombs. He is not fit for hand to hand combat. He's got a much bigger personality than Snake, which can arguably be comparable with Snake's star power.

Olimar isn't an ammo-oriented style fighter. He's basically a drone summoning fighter with a unique edge in that his drones follow him and can be managed mid-play. Unless you're going to reference other characters who use their "ammo" for melee attacks.

Yoshi could have been created to be a similar character to Olimar, creating eggs with his neutral special and using them in Melee attacks in a similar way that Wakka does in Kingdom Hearts (and maybe FFX, though I haven't played it.)

This is a bit more true. At the very least Diddy and Dixie could have been ideal pioneers for this style of play. Ice Climbers were selected more for their retro status than the teamwork gimmick.

Nothing to add.

And which of these "millions of characters" would you dare put over Ridley that would be capable of dominating the skies as an aggressive mix of rush down and aerial grappling? Would that character actually be able to execute that style of play AND possess the star power to match or exceed Ridley??

I'll go back to Charizard because he's fresh on my mind and I don't have an argument prepared. Charizard is a flying type. This could translate to him being an aerial fighter. Charizard can learn Seismic Toss. This could translate to him being an aerial grappler, specializing in pile drivers and such, as the attack is often portrayed like such. Star power... I think he has that. And don't say that this is a stupid argument because he's already in Smash. I'm not saying that this can or will happen, I'm just saying that hypothetically, there are characters that fit the same bill as other characters, and Ridley is no exception to that rule.
Responses bolded.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
King K. Rool and Ridley are so different. Why is this even an argument? They are both characters I would love to get into Smash, and both villains, which Smash needs more of.
They would both be incredibly unique, and fans have been clamoring their inclusion for years.
So they both deserve to be in! Easily two of the most deserving candidates (behind Little Mac IMO).

CalumG

Smash Lord
I think Ridley should be playable, but accusing Toad of not having much potential? I simply can't agree with that. Toad's moveset in and of itself may not seem particularly stunning, but his stats and general ability are something we don't yet have in Smash. Toad is one of the lightest Mario characters, one of the fastest, one of the worst in terms of aerial mobility and yet at the same time has strength that rivals Donkey Kongs (he doesn't slow down when holding large objects - something which could easily translate to him being able to carry people over his head for a grab).

Plus you know, there's the little quirks... personally I'd want them to make Toad's recovery his Down-B (lolwut), in which he does this move. Plus of course, he could do with a counter of his own if he's taking that from Peach's moveset.

A characters 'potential' isn't about the quantity of aggressive moves they have in their back-catalog (though if it were, Ridley would win hands down) - it's about what the character as a whole offers to the franchise, and Toad could potentially offer just as much to Smash as Ridley could.

So yeah... Ridley and Toad 4 Smash.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think Ridley should be playable, but accusing Toad of not having much potential? I simply can't agree with that. Toad's moveset in and of itself may not seem particularly stunning, but his stats and general ability are something we don't yet have in Smash. Toad is one of the lightest Mario characters, one of the fastest, one of the worst in terms of aerial mobility and yet at the same time has strength that rivals Donkey Kongs (he doesn't slow down when holding large objects - something which could easily translate to him being able to carry people over his head for a grab).

Plus you know, there's the little quirks... personally I'd want them to make Toad's recovery his Down-B (lolwut), in which he does this move. Plus of course, he could do with a counter of his own if he's taking that from Peach's moveset.

A characters 'potential' isn't about the quantity of aggressive moves they have in their back-catalog (though if it were, Ridley would win hands down) - it's about what the character as a whole offers to the franchise, and Toad could potentially offer just as much to Smash as Ridley could.

So yeah... Ridley and Toad 4 Smash.
I wouldn't mind Toad, and he's probably most likely for a Mario rep, but although I can't argue his potential (as he has a lot), I don't see it happening this time around.
But again, you never know.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
King K. Rool and Ridley are so different. Why is this even an argument? They are both characters I would love to get into Smash, and both villains, which Smash needs more of.
They would both be incredibly unique, and fans have been clamoring their inclusion for years.
So they both deserve to be in! Easily two of the most deserving candidates (behind Little Mac IMO).
That's what I want to know? Why is everyone assuming Ridley and king k rool and only one can get in why not both

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
There are lots and lots and lots of video game characters who use explosives/indirect combat/minimal hand to hand combat. He isn't really special in that regard.
He's special to Smash Bros. because he is the first and thus far only character to do such things in Smash.

I don't think this is very true, personally. Dixie's can use her ponytail and doesn't use either of Diddy's devices. I have never liked the idea of them as a tag team.

But that hardly makes him unique when Nintendo has like a million characters, many of which could be made to fit that exact style of gameplay, many without a stretch of the imagination.
And none of them are more iconic than Ridley. Are you suggesting someone who could have a similar playstyle get in Smash 4 instead? Ridley is the most well known and iconic, and the only character I can think of that could play even remotely similar to him would be Charizard.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Plus they're both so damn unique, you should want both characters (Ridley and K. Rool) playable, even if you don't like them in their respective series. I mean just everything with potential moves they could bring to the table would be nothing short of a breath of fresh air in regards to playable characters.

Passing them over would be a huge mistake for Sakurai and co, because of all the possibilities the two bring to the table, which is why I don't see that happening.
With Sakurai's comments about characters having to be very unique in order to make it into the roster it's no wonder why both have been considered locks until Sakurai's comment on Ridley two days ago. They're also both heavy weight characters, which is a lacking thing on the roster, not to mention villains, which is also a lacking aspect of the roster. Add to it that their series are under-repped and their popularity is through the roof, and I really still have a hard time not seeing both make it.

I see both much like I saw Dedede before his announcement, unique personalities, playstyles and potential, and they'd also expand on some things that are lacking on the roster. Dedede was, imo, maybe the single best addition to Brawl's roster, despite being my worst character, because he's one of the single most unique and fun character. I tell ya, I'm not too happy losing most of the time, but when I'm Dedede I don't care, because he's too much fun, and he's also a character I love in his original games. I view Ridley and K. Rool much the same way, and I wouldn't care if I ended up sucking with K. Rool either (I'd train with Ridley until I don't suck with him anymore though) because he'd still be incredibly fun because I love the character. These kind of characters add something really unique that no other character can replicate I feel, and I only really feel that it's the trio of Dedede, Ridley and K. Rool which has this appeal, it's kind of undescripable. I desperately want more of this, which is why I want both to make it so badly.

Top Bottom