• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Oh, that's Dyna Blade, okay, I know what that is and where it is from! :laugh:

And lots of characters use explosives, sure, but none of them know Snake's CQC techniques, or crawl and act all stealthy like him (well, maybe sans other Metal Gear characters).
I think Ridley should be playable, but accusing Toad of not having much potential? I simply can't agree with that.
I said potential to be unique in ways other characters can't. Every way in which Toad can be unique is something that other characters can feasibly obtain while "staying true to their character," because the movepool Toad has as a potential playable character is largely the same as most other semi-important Mario characters.

Toad also doesn't have any "signature move" like say Mario and Luigi and their fireballs, Peach and her turnips, or Wario and his farting.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Oh, that's Dyna Blade, okay, I know what that is and where it is from! :laugh:

And lots of characters use explosives, sure, but none of them know Snake's CQC techniques, or crawl and act all stealthy like him (well, maybe sans other Metal Gear characters).
I said potential to be unique in ways other characters can't. Every way in which Toad can be unique is something that other characters can feasibly obtain while "staying true to their character," because the movepool Toad has as a potential playable character is largely the same as most other semi-important Mario characters.

Toad also doesn't have any "signature move" like say Mario and Luigi and their fireballs, Peach and her turnips, or Wario and his farting.
Toad, Mario and Luigi all used turnips in SMB2 - Peach's turnips are in no way a signature move.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
We're getting kind of off-topic... But Wario's fart is his signature move? I've not seen it or heard of it in ANY Wario game.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I'm not really sure what you could consider her signature move to be. Maybe her parasol? She used a living one in Super Princess Peach, and I think she had one in Super Mario Sunshine..

That's all I got. Alos, I'd be in favor of her using her parasol for her F-smash, instead of three random objects (a golf club, a tennis racket, and a....frying pan? Wth?) that have different properties for each of them.

Let's try and stay on topic though.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Alright, question time-

Ridley gets in with an original moveset, but is the new Meta Knight in the regard that he causes tournament controversy and is sometimes banned.

Ridley gets in, no tournament problems, but his moveset is mostly copied from Charizard and Meta Knight.

Which would you be more upset about?

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
For the record I'll still probably be on here during weekday mornings as I have nothing better to do during class (seriously learning the basic course during the first 6 weeks is just boring to a whole new level), though Thursday is my last day for the week. I'll always find a way to make time for Ridley.
Its a shame you could never find time for me though...eh.....

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
It'd be cool if Ridley had the stomp attack from Metroid Prime. It could work well for a Down air or Down B attack. But I suppose that the Tail Stab could work as an alternative.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It'd be cool if Ridley had the stomp attack from Metroid Prime. It could work well for a Down air or Down B attack. But I suppose that the Tail Stab could work as an alternative.
I actually had it in a moveset I made pre-Brawl as his Up-B. Though I've gone away from that idea since it's too much like Dedede's Up-B, at least the PAL version.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Alright, question time-

Ridley gets in with an original moveset, but is the new Meta Knight in the regard that he causes tournament controversy and is sometimes banned.

Ridley gets in, no tournament problems, but his moveset is mostly copied from Charizard and Meta Knight.

The latter.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Not a Nintendo character, but Bentley from Sly Cooper comes to mind.
If Sly Cooper games haven't been on a Nintendo system, then this is a moot point.

Yoshi could have been created to be a similar character to Olimar, creating eggs with his neutral special and using them in Melee attacks in a similar way that Wakka does in Kingdom Hearts (and maybe FFX, though I haven't played it.)
Yoshi already has his moveset as a sort of odd ground-based damage-based grappler.

I'll go back to Charizard because he's fresh on my mind and I don't have an argument prepared. Charizard is a flying type. This could translate to him being an aerial fighter. Charizard can learn Seismic Toss. This could translate to him being an aerial grappler, specializing in pile drivers and such, as the attack is often portrayed like such. Star power... I think he has that. And don't say that this is a stupid argument because he's already in Smash. I'm not saying that this can or will happen, I'm just saying that hypothetically, there are characters that fit the same bill as other characters, and Ridley is no exception to that rule.
I am going to keep saying "He's already in Smash". Your hypothetical has no merits in this discussion. We're talking about how Ridley, a potential newcomer, can be the ideal character to introduce unique fighting mechanics that have yet to be seen or fully realized in a Smash Bros. environment. You suggest that it's easy to take on this mindset and one can simply roulette through other potential characters and tack on mechanics to that character. But what's the point of using Smash veterans and characters that have never graced a Nintendo system for examples? As far as I'm concerned, you're just throwing bad evidence at the discussion to make your viewpoint seem relevant.

When I said "drop names", I didn't think I'd have to specify that they had to fit within Sakurai's rules of potential characters OR had to be characters not already in Smash.

Yes Charizard could have been made an aerial grappler. But he wasn't, and unless Sakurai plans on completely revamping Charizard to do so, he's no longer an option to fit the kind roles Ridley can potentially fill. But even then, from an aesthetic viewpoint Charizard and Ridley are not so alike that you can easily say "Anything he could do, he could do". Ridley still has the personal advantage of having a whip-like tail that's much more versatile than Charizard's tail. Unless you now want to claim that Charizard could sport a very long and flexible tail. But then I'd have to think that's grasping for straws.

I don't think this is very true, personally. Dixie's can use her ponytail and doesn't use either of Diddy's devices. I have never liked the idea of them as a tag team.
I'm just saying they had enough star power and that they exemplified the team work mechanic in past games, so they could have perfectly fit the bill to introduce the teamwork mechanic. Has nothing to do with whether or not it would have been received well by the public. I'm well aware a lot of people cringe at the idea of Diddy having Dixie forced on him and vice versa.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Ridley being a 3-in-1 character together with Anthony Higs and Dark Samus.
...........like Pokemon Trainer?

No.

If either Anthony or Dark Samus got in Smash 4 along with Ridley, I'd be fine, but they can never be a 3 in one. It makes no sense and Ridley should be his own character, same goes for the other two.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Alright, question time-

Certainly the latter. I don't play competitively, so him being the new Meta Knight does not matter. And I hate clones.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Alright, question time-

Definitely the former. I rarely bring it up, but it SUCKS HARD that I ended up dropping Meta Knight during the earlier days of Brawl. Part of it may have been the "too good" stigma, but I'd say a bigger part of me enjoys the challenge of using more difficult characters and taking on tough situations. Unfortunately Meta Knight wasn't fulfilling that role, and I ended up gravitating to Ganondorf. It never crossed my mind that Ganondorf was the worst character in the game. I just found myself enjoying him more and more and disliked the feeling that Meta Knight was "easy mode".

I don't want to experience that with Ridley, but this time it might be because if Ridley did become god-tier, I'd swallow my pride and use him anyway. I want to feel challenged however, both in fighting others and in using Ridley.

As for originality, if Ridley lacks in that area, I don't think I'll care. It's Ridley. He can fight like Peach and Pichu for all I care.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Definitely the former. I rarely bring it up, but it SUCKS HARD that I ended up dropping Meta Knight during the earlier days of Brawl. Part of it may have been the "too good" stigma, but I'd say a bigger part of me enjoys the challenge of using more difficult characters and taking on tough situations. Unfortunately Meta Knight wasn't fulfilling that role, and I ended up gravitating to Ganondorf. It never crossed my mind that Ganondorf was the worst character in the game. I just found myself enjoying him more and more and disliked the feeling that Meta Knight was "easy mode".

I don't want to experience that with Ridley, but this time it might be because if Ridley did become god-tier, I'd swallow my pride and use him anyway. I want to feel challenged however, both in fighting others and in using Ridley.

As for originality, if Ridley lacks in that area, I don't think I'll care. It's Ridley. He can fight like Peach and Pichu for all I care.
No. Ridley should not fight like Pichu, damaging himself. I prefer Ridley, Anthony and Dark Samus together as a Pokémon Trainer-style character than this.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Alright, question time-

The latter, because:

A. I'm not that competitive, and even if I ended up dropping Meta Knight since he was too easy and overpowered there is always:

B. This is Ridley, no way I'd drop him.

C. Balancing patches please :)

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
R.I.D.L.E.Y.
R= Rad
I= Isn't to big
D= Dark Samus is an abomination
L= Likely won't be a stage hazard
E= Extremely cool
Y= You want him in
Hehehe hey! Uhhh...thats kinda fun you know...can i try....

D= Dont copy my lines !!!!
O= Or i will slaughter you !!!!
R= RealTalk
K= Klutz...pure Klutz..........

Meh....never mind...turns out your just a dork....

CalumG

Smash Lord
Hehehe hey! Uhhh...thats kinda fun you know...can i try....

D= Dont copy my lines !!!!
O= Or i will slaughter you !!!!
R= RealTalk
K= Klutz...pure Klutz..........

Meh....never mind...turns out your just a dork....
These aren't the streets of Manchester, try some real grammar.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Oh I know that! :rolleyes:

Just that there's virtually nothing that would stop me from maining Ridley.
Me neither, I'd probably be very dissapointed with the much wasted potential if he was a clone, as super unlikely as that is, but I'd still main him.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
These aren't the streets of Manchester, try some real grammar.
Hmmmm yh your right....could you get me a spelling book miss?

+ - yh...uhhh...omgghgh...just look at Mewtwo & GDorf.....its not the chars fault its Sakurai's whoever the hell does the moves....Ugh.....imo its most probly the #1 most upsetting thing about Smash in general....the movesets are poor....

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
We're getting kind of off-topic... But Wario's fart is his signature move? I've not seen it or heard of it in ANY Wario game.
I think it is in the Wario Ware games.

Still, in Wario Land, his signature attack is clearly his shoulder bash. Of course, that doesn't mean that a character can't have more than one "signature attack."
Toad, Mario and Luigi all used turnips in SMB2 - Peach's turnips are in no way a signature move.
I know that, but my point is that the move is more recognized as Peach's move than Mario, Luigi, or even Toad (generally speaking), even before Melee.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Hey guys, whe n do you think Ridley will get revealed?

Stage Hazard Ridley? Who knows, but probably not as soon as some people hope.

Playable Ridley? In all honesty I could imagine him NOT being revealed and being discovered after the game is in the hand of gamers. I would actually like to see this again. Who cares if INTERNET? Let the players discover some of the roster for themselves. It just wasn't as fun knowing all the newcomers before the game was out. =/

Nintendo these days is more willing to make worldwide releases for major titles, so that diminishes the chance Japan gets it first and spills all the information. By the time Smash has a release date, I will likely have a Wii U. And if for some reason I don't, I will.

I certainly will... :evil:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Hey guys, whe n do you think Ridley will get revealed?
If he's a character, then it can be any Friday until the end of September. In October there'll be plenty of games to release, so his reveal will likely not get prioritized over advertising for X & Y or Sonic Lost World.

If he's a stage hazard, then next week.

Top Bottom