• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
And that is bulls**t, alongside his horribly done mouth. Not only does this goes against EVERY battle with Ridley, but it makes him so easy to hit he is a punching bag. Well done, Sakurai, we now have another punching bag and you even removed one of the main parts of him. In Metroid games, his weak spots are either his whole body or his mouth or something speciffic, but tail never was one of them. Just what the hell? He kept Yellow Devil's eye weakspot, but didn't kept Ridley's tail invincibility. That would make him a better boss especially if he would twirl his tail to block projectiles. That, along with horribly done model, makes me hate this Ridley boss.
Why is everyone acting like this now and not happy that he is AT LEAST in the game?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
other M Ridley is hideous. Glad he's only a boss and Mewtwo more than makes up for it.
If touched up a bit, it looks great:

This could have happened (but not that different from Other M model unfortunately) if he was playable since they didn't completly reused ZSS from Other M and most likely know about how hideous Other M Ridley looks if untouched...oh the missed opportunity...
Why is everyone acting like this now and not happy that he is AT LEAST in the game?
They ruined him by turning him into a punching bag and this:

Direct video had 4 players because of how completly uneffective he is when there is 2 players. Even Other M Ridley was better. While moveset-wise this one is better than Brawl Ridley, he is worse in everything else. Just a trophy would be better than THIS. He isn't any better than Yellow Devil (he is even easier to hit because he is bigger target and has no speciffic weak spot).
I won't use this image like this next time - i will put it in spoilers.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
When Ridley joins the battle, Alfonzo takes his place!

"Leave it to me!"
I would like that very much, Alfonzo, the stage boss

Direct video had 4 players because of how completly uneffective he is when there is 2 players. Even Other M Ridley was better. While moveset-wise this one is better than Brawl Ridley, he is worse in everything else. Just a trophy would be better than THIS. He isn't any better than Yellow Devil (he is even easier to hit because he is bigger target and has no speciffic weak spot).
Oh well sorry that I just wish Ridley fans were happy with what they got.. how silly of me..

Last edited:

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
Oh well sorry that I just wish Ridley fans were happy with what they got.. how silly of me..
I'm not a Metroid fan nor did I care for Ridley's inclusion, but even I have to understand that he was absolutely horribly represented in the game. Not only did Sakurai use his most hated and badly received design, he made him a punching bag and didn't account for his weak spots and invincible spots like the Yellow Devil has. Also he seems to be easily K.O'd. Ridley was stripped his character and personality and that is not something to be grateful for. Hell, even Metal Face got better representation.

Last edited:

BoxedCookies

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5370-0875-8652
If touched up a bit, it looks great:

This could have happened (but not that different from Other M model unfortunately) if he was playable since they didn't completly reused ZSS from Other M and most likely know about how hideous Other M Ridley looks if untouched...oh the missed opportunity...

Your Ridley model is very impressive! Makes me wish it was your model in the game instead. OM Ridley's duck face is really distracting. Glad your model fixes it. Looks great!
I agree, I guess stage hazards seem better when there's more players, as you said, higher probability of hitting someone. I suppose the problem with two players matches, it's more of a contest on who can get Ridley to 'fight' for who since his hitbox is big and the fact he is sometimes idle. It's a shame that he's pretty much a punching bag.

I have to be honest, I'm no doubt glad that Ridley is in the game in some form and is an improvement compared to the Brawl's boss battle but I can't help but feel kinda disappointed that he's basically a punching bag than a threat to the players. Even Yellow Devil and Metal Face was better represented.

Last edited:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Guys remember back at the all star alliance when we said that no matter what role ridley had we would be happen and supportive.What happened to that mentality.We should still be happy that he's in despite not being the role we want he's in and is the best boss in the game(which he deserves).Now if you ask me he won't be DLC i just can't see it happening but smash 5 is a plausibility.I just think there's a lot of better things to do than be salty about what has happened we still have a great game and that's all i could ask for

Last edited by a moderator:

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Ridley looks like a duck face ROFL.

I don't think anyone (except giant trolls who you guys should ignore) will disagree with the fact that Ridley is an important character from an underrepresented series, and I know this is the last thing any of you want to hear, but the fact is the character is too big to be playable, at least you got an awesome boss out of this, which he fits perfectly as. My Isaac / Golden Sun content is probably gone and forgotten...so embrace Boss Ridley as it's awesome...

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
Ridley looks like a duck face ROFL.

I don't think anyone (except giant trolls who you guys should ignore) will disagree with the fact that Ridley is an important character from an underrepresented series, and I know this is the last thing any of you want to hear, but the fact is the character is too big to be playable, at least you got an awesome boss out of this, which he fits perfectly as. My Isaac / Golden Sun content is probably gone and forgotten...so embrace Boss Ridley as it's awesome...
Can you please explain to me why he's "too big to be playable". Because I'll never understand this "too big" argument.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Can you please explain to me why he's "too big to be playable". Because I'll never understand this "too big" argument.
I'll wait for a Sakurai interview to explain/confirm, I've said my piece on this enough.

I've gotten enough infractions for not coming in here screaming "RIDLEY FOR DLC YEY"

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
ProJared uploaded a video showing off Ridley just recently. Honestly, I feel GameXplain's video didn't do Ridley justice. This video makes Ridley look a lot more fun to fight against/with. Here:

EDIT: At least shows him off way better than GameXplain did.

Last edited:

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
I'll wait for a Sakurai interview to explain/confirm, I've said my piece on this enough.

I've gotten enough infractions for not coming in here screaming "RIDLEY FOR DLC YEY"
Yes. Obviously the reason you're getting infractions is because you come in here without being a part of the hivemind. This overall offensive and confrontational attitude you've got couldn't possibly have anything to do with it.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Guys remember back at the all star alliance when we said that no matter what role ridley had we would be happen and supportive.What happened to that mentality.We should still be happy that he's in despite not being the role we want he's in and is the best boss in the game(which he deserves).Now if you ask me he won't be DLC i just can't see it happening but smash 5 is a plausibility.I just think there's a lot of better things to do than be salty about what has happened we still have a great game and that's all i could ask for
I'm sorry, but Bagans right. The Direct made it so no one but Ike really was fighting Ridley, so Ridley actually was able to fight everyone. But when players actually try to fight him, shown by GameXplains videos, it's official he's a punching bag. If Ridley wasn't set up to always switch sides when anyone attacked him and the stupid idea to make it where you, the person who got him on your side, can still kill him would have been better and is currently BS. Why would you want to KO Ridley when he could handle your foes for you? And before you say, that's OP, the other players can still attack Ridley to KO him, but he shouldn't switch to their side after he sided with someone.

Basically, the way he's handled doesn't work as a boss. Too many competent players that try to fight Ridley will just play with him and make him someones b*tch. I'm sorry, but he's not a good boss. He only looks good because he acts like a playable character, with actually good movesets. Other than that, he's a punching bag. Brawl's handled that part much better than this.

All this is going to do is make Ridley haters treat Ridley like sh*t and toy with him. Face it, Nintendo failed.
If Sakurai actually does confirm Ridley was going to be playable, that's the only way the Ridley fans will ever forgive him. Because this just proves that stage bosses are bad, nearly on tripping level.

Steelia

Smash Champion
I just think there's a lot of better things to do than be salty about what has happened we still have a great game and that's all i could ask for
That's good and all it's all YOU could ask for. But playable Rids was the only thing many people were asking for, too. I don't blame the disappointment; if Ridley had at least~ been a playable stage boss, I think there'd be a somewhat more positive consensus. But as is, we have a pretty amazing, very playable-looking stage hazard (edge grabs, stock icon, charging Smash Attacks and all) that is out of the reach of player hands. It's such a tease.

On one hand, it shows how well a playable Ridley would work, which I'm grateful for. But on the other, Sakurai just didn't go the so-close-yet-so-far extra mile to put him in. Telling people they should be happy for a non-playable Rids is like telling Wolf or Ice Climber players they should be happy that they have trophies.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
Alright. Just to say it one more time, I'm still getting the game, I still think that most of it is amazing, and I was blown away by how fun some of the new stuff is. THAT SAID. I'm still highly disillusioned by a lot of the roster decisions, and the poor treatment of the franchises loved and developed in the west. Both DK and Metroid got stiffed, and seeing how much work was put into their stage gimmicks, it becomes evident that Sakurai felt that gimmicky stages were all we needed. Fire Emblem and KI? Give them lots of characters and huge stages!

There's a clear bias here that's frustrating, to say the least.

I still think this is gonna be a great game, it's just got sour parts that can't be glossed over.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Yes. Obviously the reason you're getting infractions is because you come in here without being a part of the hivemind. This overall offensive and confrontational attitude you've got couldn't possibly have anything to do with it.
Yeah some people aren't civil enough to just have a nice discussion. It's lame but I keep trying anyway.

Mariohuge

Smash Apprentice
To those still salty about this:
It's only you guys' fault for jumping to conclusions. I told you guys not to get your hopes up, and look at what you done went and did. You're acting like his inclusion as non-playable ruins the game fifty times over.
"Nintendo failed"
"Just a trophy would be better"
"da bias"
The game still has THOUSANDS of other things for you to play around with. And Ridley is at the very least interactable. If you want Ridley to beat on your most hated character, go play as Mewtwo once he comes out and have ridley join your side, then grab someone and let Ridley slash at them.

And besides, we have eight player smash.
And Megaman.
And Pacman.
And smash tour.
I could go on, but you get the idea.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
It's only you guys' fault for jumping to conclusions. I told you guys not to get your hopes up, and look at what you done went and did. You're acting like his inclusion as non-playable ruins the game fifty times over.
"Nintendo failed"
"da bias"
The game still has THOUSANDS of other things for you to play around with. And Ridley is at the very least interactable. If you want Ridley to beat on your most hated character, go play as Mewtwo once he comes out and have ridley join your side, then grab someone and let Ridley slash at them.

And Megaman.
And Pacman.
And smash tour.
See my above post.

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
The most corrupt country ever, except most others.
"Nintendo failed"
"da bias"

And Megaman.
And Pacman.
And smash tour.
Haha, implying you actually give a crap about our hopes. You only care about being right.

And for the fiftieth time, most of us are not lambasting the game as a whole. Criticizing some poor roster decisions does not mean that we are ignoring all the great things by default. Almost all of us can still agree that it will be a fantastic game. But poor decisions are not infallible to criticism, and I I wish people like you would stop acting like they are. White knighting every decision of Sakurai's is just as myopic and childish as crying "GAME RUINED FOREVER" because one of your requests was excluded from the roster.

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
Yeah some people aren't civil enough to just have a nice discussion. It's lame but I keep trying anyway.
"Nintendo failed"
"da bias"

And Megaman.
And Pacman.
And smash tour.
This is a Ridley support thread. If you're not here to support Ridley, go away. Discuss this in a general character thread or make an "I told you so" thread that we can all ignore.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Sakurai did post a picture of ridley and zero suit samus in Instagram before 40 minutes and he did say (in japaness):

"fan for a while, now that has been strongly request for ridley that appeared in super smash bros. game,they're getting thier wish. however, in order to form, it is displayed in true, ridley unexpected ways.'' - sakurai

Last edited:

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai did post a picture of ridley and zero suit samus in Instagram before 40 minutes and he did say (in japaness):

"fan for a while, now that has been strongly request for ridley that appeared in super smash bros. game,they're getting thier wish. however, in order to form, it is displayed in true, ridley unexpected ways.'' - sakurai
Yeah he can't be that out of touch with the fans. He should know what we want. He did bring Mewtwo back after all.

Couple this with the fact that you can have Ridley serve dual roles with different incarnations/slash designs very easily, I see no reason not to expect DLC. Unless Sakurai speaks up on some extraneous factors that we're unaware of.

Mariohuge

Smash Apprentice
Haha, implying you actually give a crap about our hopes. You only care about being right.

And for the fiftieth time, most of us are not lambasting the game as a whole. Criticizing some poor roster decisions does not mean that we are ignoring all the great things by default. Almost all of us can still agree that it will be a fantastic game. But poor decisions are not infallible to criticism, and I I wish people like you would stop acting like they are. White knighting every decision of Sakurai's is just as myopic and childish as crying "GAME RUINED FOREVER" because one of your requests was excluded from the roster.
I love how you completely ignored the fact that I was basically telling you to still have fun with the game. No **** that there are things wrong with the game, with no adventure mode or anything like that. But with people like you, you're acting like the bad outweighs the good. You may not mean it, but good lord it sure seems that way. If anything, Ridley's at least there. And yes, there are things wrong with the game. But those things wrong are negligible. Ridley not being included doesn't make the game bad. Maybe it won't be as enjoyable for you, but he's still there. You can still have fun with Ridley.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
Yeah he can't be that out of touch with the fans. He should know what we want. He did bring Mewtwo back after all.

Couple this with the fact that you can have Ridley serve dual roles with different incarnations/slash designs very easily, I see no reason not to expect DLC. Unless Sakurai speaks up on some extraneous factors that we're unaware of.
If there's an Ice Climbers reason he can't be playable, I'd (please) understand. I'd be disapointed, but I'd be able to wait until next smash, or whatever is needed for it to work.

If the reasoning is just "Lol. You wanted him playable, but I know better than you. Here, have some more Dark Pit." Or even worse, "He's too big" I... will have very strong words in my Club Nintendo survey.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
I love how you completely ignored the fact that I was basically telling you to still have fun with the game. No **** that there are things wrong with the game, with no adventure mode or anything like that. But with people like you, you're acting like the bad outweighs the good. You may not mean it, but good lord it sure seems that way. If anything, Ridley's at least there. And yes, there are things wrong with the game. But those things wrong are negligible. Ridley not being included doesn't make the game bad. Maybe it won't be as enjoyable for you, but he's still there. You can still have fun with Ridley.
I repeat. See. My. Above. Post.

There's a very anti-western feel to this Smash. It's unpleasant. It doesn't make the game any less fun, but it does feel like Nintendo is having a laugh at our expense. DK and Metroid fans have every reason to voice their complaints, especially considering that we're paying a good amount of money for this game.

Also, people aren't going to have fun with Ridley, because the overall consensus is that stage bosses bring down the overall quality of the fight, and thus people aren't going to play on those stages without Omega-ing them first. That's pretty depressing.

Last edited:

Mariohuge

Smash Apprentice
I repeat. See. My. Above. Post.

There's a very anti-western feel to this Smash. It's unpleasant. It doesn't make the game any less fun, but it does feel like Nintendo is having a laugh at our expense. DK and Metroid fans have every reason to voice their complaints, especially considering that we're paying a good amount of money for this game.

Also, people aren't going to have fun with Ridley, because the overall consensus is that stage bosses bring down the overall quality of the fight, and thus people aren't going to play on those stages without Omega-ing them first. That's pretty depressing.
I get what you mean, but most of the tourneyplayers don't really play with "popular" characters anyways. Just look at Mewtwo in Melee. And think of Ridley less as a stage boss, but more as a stage..."assist". Kind of like an assist trophy. Maybe he won't be in for glory, but he's still there if you're playing for fun.

?????????????

Smash Master
I get what you mean, but most of the tourneyplayers don't really play with "popular" characters anyways. Just look at Mewtwo in Melee. And think of Ridley less as a stage boss, but more as a stage..."assist". Kind of like an assist trophy. Maybe he won't be in for glory, but he's still there if you're playing for fun.
Why are you trying to change people's minds? People are free to have their opinions.

My opinion is that Ridley should be playable, but I still enjoy Super Smash Bros., I still play Smash 3DS, and I have Smash Wii U pre-ordered. I think there's so much great stuff in this game that it's going to be my favorite video game of all time.

But that doesn't mean I should make everyone feel the same way as I do. Some people really do only want Smash Bros. for their favorite character or favorite series, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's just different.

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
Did you completely ignore me? I outright said that most of us still have a very high opinion of the game. Negatives are just easier to talk about, and that's why it seems like we're not getting over this. The fact is though, the good vastly outweighs the bad. Good on you for telling us to have fun with the game anyway, but I don't think we really need to be told that. If someone has to be told to have fun with the game because they can't get over a handful of questionable decisions, they have a serious problem.

Mariohuge

Smash Apprentice
I'm mostly just trying to tell people to at least be happy he's there. I get having your most-wanted character get deconfirmed can suck, but look at Waluigi. Look at Takamaru or Ashley. Ridley had a much lighter deconfirm than those guys, and depending on how you play, he'd probably appear a lot more often than them. All I'm saying is that while it's ok to be disappointed, you guys shouldn't be this mad. You guys can still play around with Ridley, and while it may not be the playable treatment you were expecting, it's still pretty much close enough.

And I think you guys would be MUCH angrier if he was not in the game at all than him being the so-called "punching-bag" stage boss. You guys might not want to admit it, but I have a feeling that'd be true.

?????????????

Smash Master
I'm mostly just trying to tell people to at least be happy he's there. I get having your most-wanted character get deconfirmed can suck, but look at Waluigi. Look at Takamaru or Ashley. Ridley had a much lighter deconfirm than those guys, and depending on how you play, he'd probably appear a lot more often than them. All I'm saying is that while it's ok to be disappointed, you guys shouldn't be this mad. You guys can still play around with Ridley, and while it may not be the playable treatment you were expecting, it's still pretty much close enough.

And I think you guys would be MUCH angrier if he was not in the game at all than him being the so-called "punching-bag" stage boss. You guys might not want to admit it, but I have a feeling that'd be true.
...Do you seriously think you're telling us anything we don't already know?

Mariohuge

Smash Apprentice
...Do you seriously think you're telling us anything we don't already know?
I dunno, with the reactions I'm seeing here it sure feels that way. Like I said, it may not what you guys truly feel, but it's a bit hard to see otherwise with all the rage.

?????????????

Smash Master
I dunno, with the reactions I'm seeing here it sure feels that way. Like I said, it may not what you guys truly feel, but it's a bit hard to see otherwise with all the rage.
The things you have said apply to any character that didn't become playable. You could make this same speech to K. Rool supporters or Chrom supporters or Waluigi supporters.

The fact is, among those others, Ridley is not playable and there are people who wish Ridley was playable. That's all.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
The reaction you're getting is "We like the game, but we feel it has some serious problems."

What I'm getting from you is "You should ignore those problems and be happy anyway!"

My answer to that is "If we did that, the problems would never get fixed." "Also, who are you to tell us that we're not happy with most of the game, because we're voicing complaints with parts of it?"

Mariohuge

Smash Apprentice
The reaction you're getting is "We like the game, but we feel it has some serious problems."

What I'm getting from you is "You should ignore those problems and be happy anyway!"

My answer to that is "If we did that, the problems would never get fixed." "Also, who are you to tell us that we're not happy with most of the game, because we're voicing complaints with parts of it?"
What I'm getting from you is "We're not whining at all!"
And then I look up and I see:
"They ruined him"
"The only way people will forgive him is if they turn Ridley into a playable"
"Sakurai doesn't appreciate the franchise"

That's a lot of the reactions I'm seeing.

And as to the comment you kept pointing out, you say "that being said" as if shouting "sakurai's bias" is the popular, acceptable opinion.

Not to mention you're AGAIN accusing me of saying the game has no problems. I already said it does, but we're not talking about those. We're talking about Ridley. And no, Ridley not being in playable is not a problem. Saying that it's a problem is an opinion, yet you're stating it as if it's a fact. An actual problem is Ice Climbers being cut due to 3DS limitations.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
but look at Waluigi. Look at Takamaru or Ashley. Ridley had a much lighter deconfirm than those guys, and depending on how you play, he'd probably appear a lot more often than them.
I don't really agree with this. Ridley's role was unknown for over a whole damn year. It's not a lighter deconfirmation at all, and for some people it really, really hurt because of all the built up hype.

Yeah, we really should be happy with what we have. I am, at least. But that's because my moment of disappointment happened when the entire 3DS roster was revealed, and I pretty much thought he had little chance afterwards.

Top Bottom