• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
So, I noticed Other M Ridley is the stage boss, but they mentioned Meta Ridley as his transformation. Did, Meta Ridley show up in Other M? :?
Also, it is interesting how character like he acts for a stage boss. But then, we can only compare his actions to Yellow Devil and Xenoblade thing.
No. Its a "new" design. Meta Ridley wasn't even mentioned in Other M. And that Xenoblade thing is Metal Face (Black Face in Japan...even though his face is white).

Skyline1992

Smash Apprentice
This is how August 20th of last year should have went down:

"Pic of the day. Out of the blue, here's a new stage--the Pyrosphere from Metroid: Other M! An enemy from Samus's past may appear at any second…"
pyrosphere.jpg

"And heres Ridley, the boss of Pyrosphere. Although it doesn't look like it, he is the most unique boss character we have ever added to the Smash Bros series. Unfortunately, we are having trouble with his A.I. so I can't tell you exactly what he's programmed to do. I hope this picture will suffice."

Ridley.jpg

Last edited:

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
No. Its a "new" design. Meta Ridley wasn't even mentioned in Other M. And that Xenoblade thing is Metal Face (Black Face in Japan...even though his face is white).
So, it's just another inaccuracy of Sakurai. Of course.

"Meta Ridley" wasn't even a "transformation." It was just Ridley remade as a cyborg!

Can he get anything right regarding Metroid?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

"Meta Ridley" wasn't even a "transformation." It was just Ridley remade as a cyborg!

There is so many that is is something we should have expected.

No. Metroid is all about stages with lava, Samus, just yet another boss Ridley who doesn't deserves to be playable and should instead be a lame boss, Zero Mission doesn't exists except for ZSS, etc.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996

Sakurai already knew that, remember the Meta Ridley boss in SSE? But I guess it "slipped" your mind.

And the reason why it was incorporated like that in Pyrosphere was simply because they could and they wanted to do it, "Rule of Cool" simple as that. That Ridley is not even the same entity as the one that appeared in the previous Smash, so they probably thought "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if Ridley could transform into Meta Ridley instead?" There is nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
I'm here to lay down the flowers and leave. This was the reason I joined Smashboards and I thank you all for that, I am happy to have Ridley fight by my side but something feels empty, a hole my heart that the strongest Pokemon can't fix nor fill.

R.I.P Playable Ridley 2013-2014
"The dream was just...too big."

Last edited:

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
My theory: Ridley was designed as a playable, then changed and up sized to be a boss. He fights like a playable, moves like a playable, gets KO'd like a playable with the off-screen explosion, has a stock head icon like a playable, seems to move differently than the April direct and appears much larger than he seemed to be in the April direct. I'm guessing for whatever reason, maybe they couldn't balance him or 3DS limitations or who knows what.

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Kinda late in saying this but...

This thread was reopened for the Ridley supporters in the All-Star Alliance group since Ridley's thread was removed from the alliance due to his official reveal as a boss. So that thread was closed and this one re-opened for the sake of next gen speculation and conversing among Ridley fans.

R.I.P. You may fall, but Mewtwo triumphantly carries your torch to victory. A victory and a loss for the alliance.

Have fun speculating here guys, the alliance will miss you dominating the group in views and replies as usual lol.

The Pizza Guy

Smash Apprentice
Wouldn't it be cool if the name entry glitch returned, and we could play as bossley just like Master Hand in Melee?

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
in my eyes, sakurai has failed to represent the metroid franchise with any justice. did he really think people would be hyped over a character that wasn't playable?! why didn't he just day out flat he was a boss and just be done with it? sakurai couldn't do any other characters justice such as DK, Zelda, and Star Fox. he really doesn't seem to care for proper representation of other franchises. i'm not talking about items or assist trophies. what draws players to these franchises are the characters themselves. it angers me to know that someone like sakurai is making this game and shows that he doesn't care for certain characters as much as the fans do. i'm not even sure he can appreciate what these characters represent to us, because we the fans have taken the damn time to play these games and understand the stories behind these characters and grow to love them for who they are.

all in all, sakurai shows that he doesn't appreciate much of the other franchises history. the way he handled ridley was unprofessional. i really hope for a new smash bros director next time because sakurai just can't handle it.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
in my eyes, sakurai has failed to represent the metroid franchise with any justice. did he really think people would be hyped over a character that wasn't playable?! why didn't he just day out flat he was a boss and just be done with it? sakurai couldn't do any other characters justice such as DK, Zelda, and Star Fox. he really doesn't seem to care for proper representation of other franchises. i'm not talking about items or assist trophies. what draws players to these franchises are the characters themselves. it angers me to know that someone like sakurai is making this game and shows that he doesn't care for certain characters as much as the fans do. i'm not even sure he can appreciate what these characters represent to us, because we the fans have taken the damn time to play these games and understand the stories behind these characters and grow to love them for who they are.

all in all, sakurai shows that he doesn't appreciate much of the other franchises history. the way he handled ridley was unprofessional. i really hope for a new smash bros director next time because sakurai just can't handle it.
What is this lack of "proper representation" for Zelda, DK and Star Fox that you speak off? You went on on a rant saying how he doesn't care about them (which is false) yet never stated the actual problem.

in my eyes, sakurai has failed to represent the metroid franchise with any justice
Sorry man, but you should check again. We got a couple of new assist trophies adding up the series titular creature, plus several enemies in Smash Run, a new stage and Ridley as a boss (who was also one not once but twice back in Brawl). Yet people like you downplay or take this for granted, fanboys get greedy and when they get more they start biting the hand that feeds them. How is Ridley being a boss not proper representation when in the Metroid series he has always been a boss?

Last edited:

Skyline1992

Smash Apprentice
Ridley was referred to as a "Giant boss enemy" in the Direct. Guess that's Sakurai's way of saying "Sorry guys. Ridley's never going to become playable. Please never request him again."

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
What is this lack of "proper representation" for Zelda, DK and Star Fox that you speak off? You went on on a rant saying how he doesn't care about them (which is false) yet never stated the actual problem.

Sorry man, but you should check again. We got a couple of new assist trophies adding up the series titular creature, plus several enemies in Smash Run, a new stage and Ridley as a boss (who was also one not once but twice back in Brawl). Yet people like you downplay or take this for granted, fanboys get greedy and when they get more they start biting the hand that feeds them. How is Ridley being a boss not proper representation when in the Metroid series he has always been a boss?
Oh, I guess Bowser and Ganondorf needs to be deconfirmed then. Well ok, if item's, trophies, and stages should count too, is Kid Icarus properly represented? I'm not sure but I believe there is more content for KI then most if not all of the other franchises, even Kirby. One "popular" game gets more love then Nintendo staples. Yeah, uhuh, sure.

Ridley was referred to as a "Giant boss enemy" in the Direct. Guess that's Sakurai's way of saying "Sorry guys. Ridley's never going to become playable. Please never request him again."
Assumptions makes am ass out of you and me. Don't put words in Sakurai's mouth.

Last edited:

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
The most corrupt country ever, except most others.

Because Ridley is an iconic, popular villain that people want to finally play as. It wasn't considered improper for Ganondorf to be playable in Melee when he had only been a boss before, was it? What about Zelda herself, since she was a damsel NPC before (and remained so in her native series until Spirit Tracks in 2009)? It may be fitting that Ridley is a boss, but the simple fact is that because this villain is so well-loved and iconic, people want to see him be playable alongside other Nintendo all-stars.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
*facepalm* He was referred to such because his role is that of a giant boss enemy in this game.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122

star fox, mother, pokemon (recently) all had cuts, while mario, fire emblem, and kid icarus all got more representation, although in the form of clones. even zelda didn't get a newcomer, which is long overdue. mario got overrepresentation, while pokemon shrunk (until recently). metroid and DK were also long overdue for a newcomer, but that didn't happen. this roster feels very unbalanced in terms of representation. that's why i'm saying that sakurai doesn't know or doesn't care for these franchises. and seriously, did you think Ridley fans wanted him as a boss? be realistic. in the end, the game is great, the character representation is not. thats where i stand. i won't say anymore cause i'm not up for another debate.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
star fox, mother, pokemon (recently) all had cuts, while mario, fire emblem, and kid icarus all got more representation, although in the form of clones. even zelda didn't get a newcomer, which is long overdue. mario got overrepresentation, while pokemon shrunk (until recently). metroid and DK were also long overdue for a newcomer, but that didn't happen. this roster feels very unbalanced in terms of representation. that's why i'm saying that sakurai doesn't know or doesn't care for these franchises. and seriously, did you think Ridley fans wanted him as a boss? be realistic. in the end, the game is great, the character representation is not. thats where i stand. i won't say anymore cause i'm not up for another debate.
Mario is not overrepresented. It is Nintendo's main franchise and is very important to gaming in general. What IS overrepresented is KI, a franchise that was dead for 20+ years and even then had only 3 games, with only 1 of them being really successful (still not close to something like Legend of Zelda). Legend of Zelda has everyone important already, so, everything else is just extra. DK lacks 2 very important characters - Dixie Kong and K.Rool. Metroid lacks 2nd most important character and has only 1 chacter representing it. DK and Metroid are franchises that are trully underrepresented, especially DK (it has nearly no content in the game). F-Zero is a dead franchise, so, it doesn't matters as much (but Captain Falcon must remain no matter what). Earthbound is dead too.

Series's main attraction are playable characters. Everything else except for the gameplay itself don't matter as much. If we will look at what is actually important, then Metroid has only Samus and Samus but lacks franchise's 2nd most important character that is also iconic and popular, DK has DK and Diddy Kong but lacks either Dixie Kong or K.Rool and also has nearly no content for such franchise. Franchises like Earthbound and F-Zero are dead, so, their character representation doesn't matters that much (but Captain Falcon is too iconic now to remove). And Ridley also lost 2nd role he has since now there is only 1 Ridley boss while in Brawl, there was 2. There is not much new content added (only Smash Run enemies, Pyrosphere which replaced Frigate Orpheon from what i know, Dark Samus, Mother Brain and Power Bomb item in Smash Run) while KI got as much as LoZ has even though it is a lot "smaller" than Metroid.
If you disagree that playable characters is the main attraction, then explain why. If just items and stages would be such, then why not just have Mario, Pikachu, Samus, Kirby and Link as the only playable characters?

Last edited:

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
Mario is not overrepresented. It is Nintendo's main franchise and is very important to gaming in general. What IS overrepresented is KI, a franchise that was dead for 20+ years and even then had only 3 games, with only 1 of them being really successful (still not close to something like Legend of Zelda). Legend of Zelda has everyone important already, so, everything else is just extra. DK lacks 2 very important characters - Dixie Kong and K.Rool. Metroid lacks 2nd most important character and has only 1 chacter representing it. DK and Metroid are franchises that are trully underrepresented, especially DK (it has nearly no content in the game). F-Zero is a dead franchise, so, it doesn't matters as much (but Captain Falcon must remain no matter what). Earthbound is dead too.

Series's main attraction are playable characters. Everything else except for the gameplay itself don't matter as much. If we will look at what is actually important, then Metroid has only Samus and Samus but lacks franchise's 2nd most important character that is also iconic and popular, DK has DK and Diddy Kong but lacks either Dixie Kong or K.Rool and also has nearly no content for such franchise. Franchises like Earthbound and F-Zero are dead, so, their character representation doesn't matters that much (but Captain Falcon is too iconic now to remove). And Ridley also lost 2nd role he has since now there is only 1 Ridley boss while in Brawl, there was 2. There is not much new content added (only Smash Run enemies, Pyrosphere which replaced Frigate Orpheon from what i know, Dark Samus, Mother Brain and Power Bomb item in Smash Run) while KI got as much as LoZ has even though it is a lot "smaller" than Metroid.
If you disagree that playable characters is the main attraction, then explain why. If just items and stages would be such, then why not just have Mario, Pikachu, Samus, Kirby and Link as the only playable characters?
i have to disagree on some things. yes mario is nintendo's icon, but franchises like pokemon deserve to be tied with the mario universe in terms of character representation since they are the 2nd most successful franchise nintendo has. also, dr. mario was not needed, he really doesn't seem to be iconic and mario's more known for his platforming adventures than doctor skills. mother may be dead, but that was no reason to cut Lucas. he was the main protagonist in mother 3. mother still has a fanbase and even now many are still asking for mother 3 to be localized. lucas was in brawl, i don't see why you would cut off a main character to the franchise like that. sakurai made him different from ness, why could he just stick with it? and yes KI did get more than what they deserved. having 2 KI characters was more than enough. i'm actually surprised the kirby franchise didn't get a newcomer as well. zelda does have impa still, who is becoming more prominent in the series, and based off HW, she would be completely different from sheik and zelda. so zelda does waver one more newcomer.

DK and Metroid i agree on, they need newcomers, especially since they both have villains that are important and iconic to their franchise, plus this roster needs more villains anyway.

at any rate, sakurai didn't do these franchises any justice. i can hope that it will be fixed with DLC, but as of now, i don't have much faith in sakurai.

Last edited:

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
So how long do we wait until we are ready to ask Sakurai why? I figure it's best to ask after we know DLC is complete and done but we may never get full confirmation either way.

Everyone here has either a 3DS or Wii U with access to miiverse. All everyone has to do is ask politely why Sakurai wasn't considered for playability. If everyone around here comments on everyone's post they will get noticed faster. Twitter and Facebook work as well.

There will be no answer right away but with enough noise even gaming publications will take notice and potentially ask Sakurai themselves once the inevitable interviews start rolling out.

Last time I said this I was met with "it won't change anything and they'll never answer" and that is straight up loser talk if I ever heard it. It certainly can't hurt to ask but enough noise anywhere is going to get noticed. If everyone spammed all at once for a consistent week we'd hear something back for sure.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Zelda has never had any warrants for newcomers. We have five Zelda characters, yet you say that he doesn't care because we don't have one more? You are just being greedy at this point, how many other series can claim they have that much?
Pokemon got Greninja and we are getting Mewtwo back. Metroid doesn't warrant a newcomer because Samus is all what we need, though not saying that I'm opposed to having another one. In fairness, DK could use Dixie but DK and Diddy are the essential characters that are already in the roster.
And you need to follow your own advice as well, when you expect newcomers you need to be real and stop pretending that because you like a certain character everyone else has to comply with it. Ridley doesn't need to in the game, Smash doesn't need him as a playable character since he fill his role as a boss nicely. Though as I said before, not that I'm opposed to having him playable.

And don't tell me that Sakurai doesn't care about this franchises because this is false. Right now you are upset and grieving about Ridley which is fine. However, spouting lies is a terrible way to cope with it. You didn't get Ridley playable so now you associate that with whatever other stuff you don't have in this game and reach the false conclusion that Sakurai doesn't care when he simply didn't comply to your personal needs, when neither him nor nobody else has to, and you are simultaneously ignoring or downplaying what other stuff he has done for those series.
You said that he doesn't care about Star Fox, yet we have new beautiful stage on the Wii U. You said he doesn't care about DK yet we got a cool new stage based on DKC Returns. You said he doesn't care about Metroid when he buffed Zero Suit Samus, provided Dark Samus and Mother Brain as Assist Trophies, several Smash Run enemies and gave us a brand new stage in the form of Pyrosphere with Ridley as a boss (which IS something in the end). You said he doesn't care about Zelda when we got 3 new stages so far, three new assist trophies and several items, Zelda and Sheik being separated and receiving new moves, and now we have FIVE characters! five characters! Yet you say he doesn't care because we don't have six? This attitude of "all or nothing" is a terrible way to approach this game. You sound like a spoiled 5 year-old who didn't get his daily ice cream and now considers his parents evil beyond redemption.
Your priorities don't go hand in hand with the rest of the fans, the developers and the game. So friend, don't tell me he doesn't care, because we both know is not true. In saying so, you lie to yourself and others as well. We both know it would be a damn, big, FAT lie.

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
Zelda has never had any warrants for newcomers. We have five Zelda characters, yet you say that he doesn't care because we don't have one more? You are just being greedy at this point, how many other series can claim they have that much?
Pokemon got Greninja and we are getting Mewtwo back. Metroid doesn't warrant a newcomer because Samus is all what we need, though not saying that I'm opposed to having another one. In fairness, DK could use Dixie but DK and Diddy are the essential characters that are already in the roster.
And you need to follow your own advice as well, when you expect newcomers you need to be real and stop pretending that because you like a certain character everyone else has to comply with it. Ridley doesn't need to in the game, Smash doesn't need him as a playable character since he fill his role as a boss nicely. Though as I said before, not that I'm opposed to having him playable.

And don't tell me that Sakurai doesn't care about this franchises because this is false. Right now you are upset and grieving about Ridley which is fine. However, spouting lies is a terrible way to cope with it. You didn't get Ridley playable so now you associate that with whatever other stuff you don't have in this game and reach the false conclusion that Sakurai doesn't care when he simply didn't comply to your personal needs, when neither him nor nobody else has to, and you are simultaneously ignoring or downplaying what other stuff he has done for those series.
You said that he doesn't care about Star Fox, yet we have new beautiful stage on the Wii U. You said he doesn't care about DK yet we got a cool new stage based on DKC Returns. You said he doesn't care about Metroid when he buffed Zero Suit Samus, provided Dark Samus and Mother Brain as Assist Trophies, several Smash Run enemies and gave us a brand new stage in the form of Pyrosphere with Ridley as a boss (which IS something in the end). You said he doesn't care about Zelda when we got 3 new stages so far, three new assist trophies and several items, Zelda and Sheik being separated and receiving new moves, and now we have FIVE characters! five characters! Yet you say he doesn't care because we don't have six? This attitude of "all or nothing" is a terrible way to approach this game. You sound like a spoiled 5 year-old who didn't get his daily ice cream and now considers his parents evil beyond redemption.
Your priorities don't go hand in hand with the rest of the fans, the developers and the game. So friend, don't tell me he doesn't care, because we both know is not true. In saying so, you lie to yourself and others as well. We both know it would be a damn, big, FAT lie.
read the comment above my previous statement. that should answer your question. and i'm out.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
i have to disagree on some things. yes mario is nintendo's icon, but franchises like pokemon deserve to be tied with the mario universe in terms of character representation since they are the 2nd most successful franchise nintendo has. also, dr. mario was not needed, he really doesn't seem to be iconic and mario's more known for his platforming adventures than doctor skills. mother may be dead, but that was no reason to cut Lucas. he was the main protagonist in mother 3. mother still has a fanbase and even now many are still asking for mother 3 to be localized. lucas was in brawl, i don't see why you would cut off a main character to the franchise like that. sakurai made him different from ness, why could he just stick with it? and yes KI did get more than what they deserved. having 2 KI characters was more than enough. i'm actually surprised the kirby franchise didn't get a newcomer as well. zelda does have impa still, who is becoming more prominent in the series, and based off HW, she would be completely different from sheik and zelda. so zelda does waver one more newcomer.

DK and Metroid i agree on, they need newcomers, especially since they both have villains that are important and iconic to their franchise, plus this roster needs more villains anyway.

at any rate, sakurai didn't do these franchises any justice. i can hope that it will be fixed with DLC, but as of now, i don't have much faith in sakurai.
Dr.Mario is just a clone (the most original one out of 3 we have in this game) and is basically Melee Mario (but still didn't deserved). Pokemon has way too many things to choose, but it could have few more newcommers (or at least pokemons like Ivysaur shouldn't have been removed). There wasn't any reasons to cut Lucas other than to give Ness his specials (but then that would make it very easy to make Lucas). Mother just doesn't needs any more representation it had in Brawl, where it was just right (maybe few more enemies in Smash run, but not too much). KI should have been left with only 1 character though. Impa is still not "must have" character, unlike every other LoZ character we have already playable (Toon Link represents games like Oracle of Seasons and Wind Waker, not just Wind Waker Link, so, he is "must have" character too).
I don't have any faith in Sakurai since September.

Ridley MUST be playable, just like Meta Knight. He appeared in all Metroid games except for MP Hunters, MP2 and Metroid 2, he is one of the main bosses in all of them, he is important to the story in Prime 1 (started events of this game), Super Metroid (same thing here) and just Metroid (he is the reason why Samus is Samus). He is also highly requested. If he doesn't needs to be playable, then neither do Ganondorf ("fits role of a boss perfectly"), Meta Knight (fits role of a assist trophy) and maybe even Mewtwo (fits role of a legendary pokemon coming out of master ball). Metroid can't remain with Samus twice as playable characters and without 2nd most important character in Metroid and just an iconic character. Like you can't have Mario without Bowser, Kirby without DDD, Link without Ganondorf, Pokemons without Pikachu (who is just an iconic pokemon that appeared everywhere, not something very important to the franchise like Bowser, Luigi and Mario) and Donkey Kong without Diddy Kong, you can't have Samus without Ridley (but only since Brawl because during Melee's development, he was just another boss you must beat,, like Kraid). Once he is playable, Metroid's character representation will be perfect. Anything more than that will be just extra, even Dark Samus. We just need 2nd Metroid character (ZSS Samus doesn't counts because its still Samus), not 25 more characters (and only 1 other character who isn't Ridley - Dark Samus - is not a complete waste of slot, but still nothing compared to Ridley). ZSS is certainly not something that SHOULD have been added (just like Doctor Mario) and if she will be removed, Metroid's character representation won't suffer from it that much. She is a separate character in this game and plays differently from Samus, but same goes for Doctor Mario (but she isn't a clone or semi-clone, unlike him), who plays differently compared to Mario and is a separate character in this game.
"He doesn't cares for DK" came from the fact that DK has nearly no content in the game despite being a very "large" (don't know which words i should use for this kind of things) franchise. Not even items, stages, assist trophies, characters, smash run enemies, etc.
While he may care about those franchies, he certainly has screwed up priorities for them, especially with KI (too much) and DK (not enough).

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Dr.Mario is just a clone (the most original one out of 3 we have in this game) and is basically Melee Mario (but still didn't deserved). Pokemon has way too many things to choose, but it could have few more newcommers (or at least pokemons like Ivysaur shouldn't have been removed). There wasn't any reasons to cut Lucas other than to give Ness his specials (but then that would make it very easy to make Lucas). Mother just doesn't needs any more representation it had in Brawl, where it was just right (maybe few more enemies in Smash run, but not too much). KI should have been left with only 1 character though. Impa is still not "must have" character, unlike every other LoZ character we have already playable (Toon Link represents games like Oracle of Seasons and Wind Waker, not just Wind Waker Link, so, he is "must have" character too).
I don't have any faith in Sakurai since September.

Ridley MUST be playable, just like Meta Knight. He appeared in all Metroid games except for MP Hunters, MP2 and Metroid 2, he is one of the main bosses in all of them, he is important to the story in Prime 1 (started events of this game), Super Metroid (same thing here) and just Metroid (he is the reason why Samus is Samus). He is also highly requested. If he doesn't needs to be playable, then neither do Ganondorf ("fits role of a boss perfectly"), Meta Knight (fits role of a assist trophy) and maybe even Mewtwo (fits role of a legendary pokemon coming out of master ball). Metroid can't remain with Samus twice as playable characters and without 2nd most important character in Metroid and just an iconic character. Like you can't have Mario without Bowser, Kirby without DDD, Link without Ganondorf, Pokemons without Pikachu (who is just an iconic pokemon that appeared everywhere, not something very important to the franchise like Bowser, Luigi and Mario) and Donkey Kong without Diddy Kong, you can't have Samus without Ridley. Once he is playable, Metroid's character representation will be perfect. Anything more than that will be just extra, even Dark Samus. We just need 2nd Metroid character (ZSS Samus doesn't counts because its still Samus), not 25 more characters (and only 1 other character who isn't Ridley - Dark Samus - is not a complete waste of slot, but still nothing compared to Ridley).
"He doesn't cares for DK" came from the fact that DK has nearly no content in the game despite being a very "large" (don't know which words i should use for this kind of things) franchise. Not even items, stages, assist trophies, characters, smash run enemies, etc.
While he may care about those franchies, he certainly has screwed up priorities for them, especially with KI (too much) and DK (not enough).
Ridley doesn't need to be playable though, it's kind of unhealthy to adopt the attitude of "Ridley-or-bust" otherwise one cannot enjoy the game. Not to say that him being playable wouldn't be a welcome addition. I personally think that his role as a powerful and threatening boss character that you must overcome fits him perfectly, I enjoyed facing him in the SSE after all. I also think that the comparison with Ganondorf is off; Ganon is always the big bad in the games he appears, completely drives the plot being a holder of one of the pieces of the series' macguffin and is the last challenge the hero has to face; Ridley may drive the plot at times but he is not the big bad and he serves as the boss guarding the way to the final boss.
I also don't think that content addition should be turned into a pissing contest between other franchises. Inevitably there will always be one franchise with less stuff than the others, so I think that withholding stuff from one series because the other has a bit less would be a foolish decision.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Ridley doesn't need to be playable though, it's kind of unhealthy to adopt the attitude of "Ridley-or-bust" otherwise one cannot enjoy the game. Not to say that him being playable wouldn't be a welcome addition. I personally think that his role as a powerful and threatening boss character that you must overcome fits him perfectly, I enjoyed facing him in the SSE after all. I also think that the comparison with Ganondorf is off; Ganon is always the big bad in the games he appears, completely drives the plot being a holder of one of the pieces of the series' macguffin and is the last challenge the hero has to face; Ridley may drive the plot at times but he is not the big bad and he serves as the boss guarding the way to the final boss.
I also don't think that content addition shouldn't be turned into a pissing contest between other franchises. Inevitably there will always be one franchise with less stuff than the others, so I think that withholding stuff from one series because the other has a bit less would be a foolish decision.
Well, maybe with Ganondorf it was unfitting, but with Meta Knight it is - both are not big bads of games they appear in (and Meta Knight, if he is playable, isn't the main character either), both are iconic, both are used as bosses (in Ridley's case, always, while in Meta Knight's, it just happens often), both are somehow important to the plot (but not by too much and Meta Knight ONCE was the "main antagonist", but only once and Meta Ridley was such in Metroid Prime 1 along with Metroid Prime too), both are from popular and important franchies, but only Meta Knight is playable.
IMO, SSE Ridley boss fight doesn't properly represents his original boss fights - he doesn't even has fireballs until he becomes Meta Ridley, but that one doesn't uses what Meta Ridley actually uses. If Ridley would have Meta Ridley's attacks (but not the way fight goes), then it would be perfect and if he wouldn't have that useless wind attack. This game's Ridley is worse - too slow, tail isn't invincible (it always was invincible in Metroid games) and can easily be hit. He is just ineffective overall and looks horrible - his mouth opens in very unnatural way, shading is awful, textures are blurry and Meta Ridley isn't Meta Ridley.
Still, it is unfair when that difference is very noticable. Withholding stuff from one series for another isn't the right way to fix that. Its better to give those series what they deserve and not too much (KI) or not enough (DK). Franchises with perfect representation in this game are Xenoblade, LoZ, F-Zero, Mother i guess, Pokemon, Mario and Kirby. Maybe even FE. They don't have too much, but they have enough. Exactly what they deserve and they have everything they really need. That is how its done. But then there is KI, who has so much stuff it rivals LoZ despite being a franchise that was only recently revived, has only 3 games with only 1 of them being popular and just sold a lot less overall compared to other franchises. As if it is one of the main franchises already. DK has opposite problem - despite being very popular and old franchise with many games that sold well, it has barely any stages, Smash Run enemies or just any content. We shouldn't be drowned in DK content either, but there must be more than what we have right now.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Well, maybe with Ganondorf it was unfitting, but with Meta Knight it is - both are not big bads of games they appear in (and Meta Knight, if he is playable, isn't the main character either), both are iconic, both are used as bosses (in Ridley's case, always, while in Meta Knight's, it just happens often), both are somehow important to the plot (but not by too much and Meta Knight ONCE was the "main antagonist", but only once and Meta Ridley was such in Metroid Prime 1 along with Metroid Prime too), both are from popular and important franchies, but only Meta Knight is playable.
IMO, SSE Ridley boss fight doesn't properly represents his original boss fights - he doesn't even has fireballs until he becomes Meta Ridley, but that one doesn't uses what Meta Ridley actually uses. If Ridley would have Meta Ridley's attacks (but not the way fight goes), then it would be perfect and if he wouldn't have that useless wind attack. This game's Ridley is worse - too slow, tail isn't invincible (it always was invincible in Metroid games) and can easily be hit. He is just ineffective overall and looks horrible - his mouth opens in very unnatural way, shading is awful, textures are blurry and Meta Ridley isn't Meta Ridley.
Still, it is unfair when that difference is very noticable. Withholding stuff from one series for another isn't the right way to fix that. Its better to give those series what they deserve and not too much (KI) or not enough (DK). Franchises with perfect representation in this game are Xenoblade, LoZ, F-Zero, Mother i guess, Pokemon, Mario and Kirby. Maybe even FE. They don't have too much, but they have enough. Exactly what they deserve and they have everything they really need.
Ah well, perhaps I don't see it that way because for me any character or content implemented from whatever series feels like an extra slice of cake. I don't even like Mother nor care a lot about Punch-Out but it was painful to see Lucas gone (partially because he is my brother's main) and happy to see Little Mac in. I disagree with Ridley's implementation, to me he looks like a fun boss to fight.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Ah well, perhaps I don't see it that way because for me any character or content implemented from whatever series feels like an extra slice of cake. I don't even like Mother nor care a lot about Punch-Out but it was painful to see Lucas gone (partially because he is my brother's main) and happy to see Little Mac in. I disagree with Ridley's implementation, to me he looks like a fun boss to fight.
But characters are what makes the cake sweet. It doesn't matters how big cake is, but if it isn't sweet, then there is no point in it.
He did looked fun until i saw GameXplain video of it, where he was just there and either got hit because his tail is part of his hurtboxes and he is giant or attacked nothing in the middle of the stage. His attacks at least are more Ridley than in Brawl.
Do you at least agree that model could have been better and they shouldn't have added that extra bone (joint on the model that allows part of it to rotate or move if you don't know what it is) to his upper jaw?

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Withholding stuff from one series for another isn't the right way to fix that. Its better to give those series what they deserve and not too much (KI) or not enough (DK). Franchises with perfect representation in this game are Xenoblade, LoZ, F-Zero, Mother i guess, Pokemon, Mario and Kirby. Maybe even FE. They don't have too much, but they have enough. Exactly what they deserve and they have everything they really need. That is how its done. But then there is KI, who has so much stuff it rivals LoZ despite being a franchise that was only recently revived, has only 3 games with only 1 of them being popular and just sold a lot less overall compared to other franchises. As if it is one of the main franchises already. DK has opposite problem - despite being very popular and old franchise with many games that sold well, it has barely any stages, Smash Run enemies or just any content. We shouldn't be drowned in DK content either, but there must be more than what we have right now.
I agree that withholding something from a particular series can potentially cause harm in terms of representation. However, we all have our own interpretation of what makes a series properly represented. The aforementioned series you just listed that have proper representation is just your interpretation. While I agree with you for the most part, I don't believe that EB/Mother should have lost Lucas. Granted, I don't really know anything about the series, but I'm going with the assumption that his game was rated highly by those who have played it. Correct me if my assumption is off. As for the KI thing, I'd say that it's comeback was so well received that it was hard for Sakurai to not use many of its assets in Smash. That, and the fact of Uprising itself feeling like a Smash game. That's my take on it, anyway. I have very little experience with the DK series, but I'm sure that it could've benefited from more representation.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I agree that withholding something from a particular series can potentially cause harm in terms of representation. However, we all have our own interpretation of what makes a series properly represented. The aforementioned series you just listed that have proper representation is just your interpretation. While I agree with you for the most part, I don't believe that EB/Mother should have lost Lucas. Granted, I don't really know anything about the series, but I'm going with the assumption that his game was rated highly by those who have played it. Correct me if my assumption is off. As for the KI thing, I'd say that it's comeback was so well received that it was hard for Sakurai to not use many of its assets in Smash. That, and the fact of Uprising itself feeling like a Smash game. That's my take on it, anyway. I have very little experience with the DK series, but I'm sure that it could've benefited from more representation.
I don't think they should have cut him either, but for a dead franchise like this with only 3 games (F-Zero had more, but is dead just like EB), 1 character is enough. KI's cameback was well received, but that doesn't means it must have representation even close to LoZ's.

FlappyFalco

Smesh Ace
NNID
HyperToxBox64
3DS FC
3866-8228-7394
Switch FC
SW-5551-9470-0820
Didn't Sakurai say that he will never make a Kid Icarus 4, and that series was dead?! That was what annoys me the most about the amount of KI content in this game. And while I do main Dark Pit, I'd much prefer he was an alt+voice swap for Pit, with the Electroshock Arm as a custom move and gear to make him slower. As for combining Wolf and Fox and Lucas and Ness, why not just go all the way?! Ness even had to have an extra voice clip of him saying "PK Freeze" (not as epically as Lucas, tho :p) ! Lucas was my "main*" in Brawl, and I do plan to play Earthbound 2 once I finish Earthbound, which I started about a year ago (it's a long game :awesome:).

*Since admittedly, about 2/3 of the roster are my "mains", this doesn't really mean too much, but Lucas was "up there".

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Just realized the way players battle getting Ridley to switch to their side...

They literally made it so that players will fight over Ridley forever. :yeahboi:

EDIT: Wow, he's vulnerable even at the end of his tail.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
EDIT: Wow, he's vulnerable even at the end of his tail.
And that is bulls**t, alongside his horribly done mouth. Not only does this goes against EVERY battle with Ridley, but it makes him so easy to hit he is a punching bag. Well done, Sakurai, we now have another punching bag and you even removed one of the main parts of him. In Metroid games, his weak spots are either his whole body or his mouth or something speciffic, but tail never was one of them. Just what the hell? He kept Yellow Devil's eye weakspot, but didn't kept Ridley's tail invincibility. That would make him a better boss especially if he would twirl his tail to block projectiles. That, along with horribly done model, makes me hate this Ridley boss.

BoxedCookies

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5370-0875-8652
Just saw the GameXplain video of Ridley stage hazard and I thought I didn't mind it at first but I have to be honest, I'm disappointed. Most of the time he's just idly moving around and as said by @ Captain Fun Captain Fun , just waiting for players to fight over him. There's a hint of a possible moveset for him, final smash and with the inclusion of the stock icon, no doubt he was planned to be a playable character but this stage hazard just makes him a glorified punching bag. I can only assume that issues such as the 3DS limitations have held him back.

And that is bulls**t, alongside his horribly done mouth. Not only does this goes against EVERY battle with Ridley, but it makes him so easy to hit he is a punching bag. Well done, Sakurai, we now have another punching bag and you even removed one of the main parts of him. In Metroid games, his weak spots are either his whole body or his mouth or something speciffic, but tail never was one of them. Just what the hell? He kept Yellow Devil's eye weakspot, but didn't kept Ridley's tail invincibility. That would make him a better boss especially if he would twirl his tail to block projectiles. That, along with horribly done model, makes me hate this Ridley boss.
Completely agree with this. ^

Strofirko

Smash Master
I have mixed feelings,I think they wanted to do something great,and screwed everything on the end.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Just saw the GameXplain video of Ridley stage hazard and I thought I didn't mind it at first but I have to be honest, I'm disappointed. Most of the time he's just idly moving around and as said by @ Captain Fun Captain Fun , just waiting for players to fight over him. There's a hint of a possible moveset for him, final smash and with the inclusion of the stock icon, no doubt he was planned to be a playable character but this stage hazard just makes him a glorified punching bag. I can only assume that issues such as the 3DS limitations have held him back.
I think it looked impressive in the direct because there was 4 players, so, he had very high chance of hitting someone and because of that, was more of a threat than during matches with only 2 players. Maybe it was intentional to make sure he won't look lame.

Also, just remember this:

Seriously, what the hell happened with his model? He looks like he is made out of glass and Samus broke his upper jaw. At least his wings now can move like actual wings and his toes are separated. This is something i appreciate. Oh, and he is perfect for OR(D)LY images and other funny images because of how ridicolous his mouth is because of how it opens and that whole duck face thing.

Last edited:

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
other M Ridley is hideous. Glad he's only a boss and Mewtwo more than makes up for it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom