• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
I'm mostly just trying to tell people to at least be happy he's there. I get having your most-wanted character get deconfirmed can suck, but look at Waluigi. Look at Takamaru or Ashley. Ridley had a much lighter deconfirm than those guys, and depending on how you play, he'd probably appear a lot more often than them. All I'm saying is that while it's ok to be disappointed, you guys shouldn't be this mad. You guys can still play around with Ridley, and while it may not be the playable treatment you were expecting, it's still pretty much close enough.

And I think you guys would be MUCH angrier if he was not in the game at all than him being the so-called "punching-bag" stage boss. You guys might not want to admit it, but I have a feeling that'd be true.
I understand your feeling, but that's just an assumption. Really, I just feel mixed. I don't hate how Ridley's boss role isn't worse then most bosses, but I do hate how he's handled. The concept that "be happy that he's there" needs to stop being shoved down our throats. The difference between Ridley and Waluigi and Ashley is that they started as assists and for Waluigi, he stayed as one. Disappointing that he didn't go up a step, but at least he didn't get worse, aka just a trophy or removed. And fyi, Isaac fans are in that boat, btw. Ridley however, has always moved up and has always been here not playable, from being in the BG, then to trophy, then assist then changed to two bosses. But then that changed as now he's a stage boss, which some would think that's a improvement. No. He lost that second role in Brawl is one con from this. Then we look at his stage boss role, although if able to, he makes a threatening boss, ok. But only if no one tries to attack him. When everyone bashes him, he's a punching bag. Look at GameXplain's video. But back to the point, Ridley has always been unplayable for four(five technically) games in a row, but the kicker is that each time he get's closer and closer to becoming playable. This game actually shows that. The problem is, he's not playable when he acts playable. The only thing that can be done is to either make him controllable or take him out. Because 5 games in a row of the same thing is not going to be missed. Especially when this game is mainly to play as your favorite characters.

Yes, we know, it's a great game. It's Smash Bros. for crying out loud. But fans who gets pulled along for 15+ years when half of that time people want Ridley playable and Nintendo gives us a non playable "playable" boss.. you'll see why we aren't happy. If Waluigi or Ashley (heaven forbid) was "playable" but not, I know you'd feel bad.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Ridley was disconfirmed since April.

Anyone who supported Ridley after that was deluded, to say the least.

Sakurai showed Yellow Devil, then he showed Ridley's shadow with a caption stating "Other boss appearances". It's all about context.

The previous tease was when Pyrosphere was firstly revealed when he basically stated "Here's Pyrosphere, a stage from Metroid: Other M. An enemy from Samus's past may appear any moment..."

He talked about Ridley without directly referring to him, sure, but the context was obvious.

?????????????

Smash Master

Sakurai showed Yellow Devil, then he showed Ridley's shadow with a caption stating "Other boss appearances". It's all about context.

The previous tease was when Pyrosphere was firstly revealed when he basically stated "Here's Pyrosphere, a stage from Metroid: Other M. An enemy from Samus's past may appear any moment..."

He talked about Ridley without directly referring to him, sure, but the context was obvious.
Gee, I'm sure glad you decided you needed to pop by to give your piece about us being wrong for supporting Ridley whatsoever.

Not that everyone else hasn't been doing it. So original.

Last edited:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
That's good and all it's all YOU could ask for. But playable Rids was the only thing many people were asking for, too. I don't blame the disappointment; if Ridley had at least~ been a playable stage boss, I think there'd be a somewhat more positive consensus. But as is, we have a pretty amazing, very playable-looking stage hazard (edge grabs, stock icon, charging Smash Attacks and all) that is out of the reach of player hands. It's such a tease.

On one hand, it shows how well a playable Ridley would work, which I'm grateful for. But on the other, Sakurai just didn't go the so-close-yet-so-far extra mile to put him in. Telling people they should be happy for a non-playable Rids is like telling Wolf or Ice Climber players they should be happy that they have trophies.
I'm sorry, but Bagans right. The Direct made it so no one but Ike really was fighting Ridley, so Ridley actually was able to fight everyone. But when players actually try to fight him, shown by GameXplains videos, it's official he's a punching bag. If Ridley wasn't set up to always switch sides when anyone attacked him and the stupid idea to make it where you, the person who got him on your side, can still kill him would have been better and is currently BS. Why would you want to KO Ridley when he could handle your foes for you? And before you say, that's OP, the other players can still attack Ridley to KO him, but he shouldn't switch to their side after he sided with someone.

Basically, the way he's handled doesn't work as a boss. Too many competent players that try to fight Ridley will just play with him and make him someones b*tch. I'm sorry, but he's not a good boss. He only looks good because he acts like a playable character, with actually good movesets. Other than that, he's a punching bag. Brawl's handled that part much better than this.

All this is going to do is make Ridley haters treat Ridley like sh*t and toy with him. Face it, Nintendo failed.
If Sakurai actually does confirm Ridley was going to be playable, that's the only way the Ridley fans will ever forgive him. Because this just proves that stage bosses are bad, nearly on tripping level.
Again i see how you feel and TBH i felt the same way and i still do feel the same way.I'm just wanna say it's better than nothing.
@Steelia you said and i qoute"Telling people they should be happy for a non-playable Rids is like telling Wolf or Ice Climber players they should be happy that they have trophies."In all honestly they should be.Atleast there represented in the game were characters like Isaac or ray MK 3 are nowhere to be seen.I would rather have a trophy than not being in at all.That's how i feel about ridley.When push comes to shove he's in and he's in kicking ass.He has a pretty nice model and probably the best boss in the game and gets special treatment.True i still angry that he's not playable seeing as all he needs is to be scaled down and given a few attacks but i'm glad that he's in some type of way something some characters can't even get.I just don't see how sakurai failed us.Besides being playable this is the next best thing for him. A special boss that acts in a special way.Hopefully you guys know i'm not here to kick you when you down.Trust me as a ridley fan I've been getting kicking around hard to(Friends,gamefaqs,chat rooms) just saying to look at the positives instead of the negatives

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160

Why tease an NPC?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Gee, I'm sure glad you decided you needed to pop by to give your piece about us being wrong for supporting Ridley whatsoever.

Not that everyone else hasn't been doing it. So original.
I'm stating a truth. Just because people refuse to accept the facts, it doesn't mean they become less true.

Supporting a character is only reasonable to a certain extent. When I first read the caption for Pyrosphere, I instantly knew what was going to happen. It was obvious.

April Direct sealed the whole deal.

Showing Yellow Devil on Wily Castle + Talking about other boss appearances + Pyrosphere + Ridley's shadow = Ridley is a boss on the Pyrosphere stage

It's logic. Pure and simple logic.

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
The most corrupt country ever, except most others.

You don't understand the concept of dual roles, do you.

Ridley has multiple incarnations. The Other M version, the stage boss, is a robotic clone of the organic one that got blown up in Super Metroid.

Like how Toon Link is a playable character and a stage prop because of the fact that Conductor Link is the incarnation that came a century after Wind Waker Link. A different level of involvement than Ridley, but the principle applies.

And I suppose that if 75m was shown before Donkey Kong, then Donkey Kong would've been disconfirmed because another version of him is a stage element... right? I think you get the point. It's logic. Pure and simple logic.

Also, I love how a mod, a member of the same group that allegedly offered us protection from flaming, insults, and trolls, is flaming supporters himself. "Delusional"? Really now.

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
I'm stating a truth. Just because people refuse to accept the facts, it doesn't mean they become less true.

Supporting a character is only reasonable to a certain extent. When I first read the caption for Pyrosphere, I instantly knew what was going to happen. It was obvious.

April Direct sealed the whole deal.

Showing Yellow Devil on Wily Castle + Talking about other boss appearances + Pyrosphere + Ridley's shadow = Ridley is a boss on the Pyrosphere stage

It's logic. Pure and simple logic.
That's the same thing people told me when I was supporting Toon Link after he was a confirmed background character.

You want facts? This is a Ridley support thread. If you're not here to support, go away.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357

Ridley has multiple incarnations. The Other M version, the stage boss, is a robotic clone of the organic one that got blown up in Super Metroid.

Like how Toon Link is a playable character and a stage prop because of the fact that Conductor Link is the incarnation that came a century after Wind Waker Link. A different level of involvement than Ridley, but the principle applies.

And I suppose that if 75m was shown before Donkey Kong, then Donkey Kong would've been disconfirmed because another version of him is a stage element... right? I think you get the point.

Also, I love how a mod, a member of the same group that allegedly offered us protection from flaming, insults, and trolls, is flaming supporters himself. "Delusional"? Really now.
Me, flaming?

Look up the definition of delusional before claiming it to be insulting.

Toon Link is WW Link, while Conductor Link is SS Link, as in, not the same character canonically, yet one replaces the other. Even adult Link causes Alfonzo to show up! Sakurai obviously considers different incarnations of the same character as one.

Regardless of whether it's OOT Link, TP Link, WW Link or Conductor Link, it's all Link. This exact same logic is applied to Ridley.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist

And I suppose that if 75m was shown before Donkey Kong, then Donkey Kong would've been disconfirmed because another version of him is a stage element... right? I think you get the point. It's logic. Pure and simple logic.

Not all Mods are equal here but yeah, telling us the truth needs to stop. Seriously, Y DO YOU CARE? It's been basically a year now and people still wants to be "right" about this? Who in there right mind care so much about others like this? Am I missing something or what?

Last edited:

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
Me, flaming?

Look up the definition of delusional before claiming it to be insulting.

Toon Link is WW Link, while Conductor Link is SS Link, as in, not the same character canonically, yet one replaces the other. Even adult Link causes Alfonzo to show up! Sakurai obviously considers different incarnations of the same character as one.

Regardless of whether it's OOT Link, TP Link, WW Link or Conductor Link, it's all Link. This exact same logic is applied to Ridley.
Which is exactly why Donkey Kong on 75m gets replaced whenever the playable DK is used in battle.

And they even brought 75m back in the Wii U version, so I'm afraid the example directly conflicts with the way you claim Sakurai is thinking.

Also, the definition of delusional according to my device (iPad) contains the phrase "typically a symptom of a mental disorder." Make of that whatever you will.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I was just dropping my opinion on this. I don't care about Ridley, I was just stating my opinion the reveal and how, for me, it was obvious this was going to happen.

I didn't come here to blindly agree on something. I'm one to speak my mind with honesty and go straight to the point.

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
I was just dropping my opinion on this. I don't care about Ridley, I was just stating my opinion the reveal and how, for me, it was obvious this was going to happen.

I didn't come here to blindly agree on something. I'm one to speak my mind with honesty and go straight to the point.
You can do so without using words that are generally seen as being inflammatory.

I'm not asking for everyone to agree on the same thing, but there are some holes in this line of thinking that I thought to point out (and have been ever since April).

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I know I'm grasping invisible straws with tweezers under an ultra-powerful microscope, but Ridley COULD be an Alfonzo case.
Ex: When Ridley is fighting on Pyroshere, Ridley Robot takes his place as a boss.
I guess they could make Ridley DLC using that logic, given that he's an extremely highly requested playable character.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Not really i just hate all the negativity in here every since the direct a couple days ago.When a character gets deconfirmed it's nly natural to be mad but for others to come in here and gloat is unnecessary.What makes ridley any more different than other characters that you have to hit him when he's down.Nothing.So there's no need for this hate or negativity.That's was the pointi was hoping to gett across but seems to keep getting overlooked

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Just drop it everyone.

If this thread wishes to continue, not sure why it was re-opened to begin with, there's going to have to be changes in how things are discussed. Focus on the future, not the past.

There is no point in having a thread that's nothing but salt and negativity, and I cannot tell you how much I want to kill this thread once and for all, by all means prove me wrong.

Last edited:

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
I know I'm grasping invisible straws with tweezers under an ultra-powerful microscope, but Ridley COULD be an Alfonzo case.
Ex: When Ridley is fighting on Pyroshere, Ridley Robot takes his place as a boss.
I guess they could make Ridley DLC using that logic, given that he's an extremely highly requested playable character.
I honestly don't see it being an Alfonzo complex. Unless they're able to give Bossley a different color maybe? Just a thought.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I honestly don't see it being an Alfonzo complex. Unless they're able to give Bossley a different color maybe? Just a thought.
Ridley has many incarnations. He has been cloned, robotized, etc. So it would make sense.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

That is completely correct. The context implied that he would be a Boss.

The reason people continued to support him was because of exactly that. He implied Ridley would be a boss.
Why would he imply for a whole damn year?

This was the big (no punintendo) argument for Ridley's inclusion as playable.

Sakurai had to have been insane to tease Ridley for a whole year, leaving us without a definitive answer, and have it end up being a normal boss. That's a terrible business strategy.

You know what's not insane, and is a great business strategy? Teasing him as a boss for a year, then revealing him to be playable. Before the direct, everyone was expecting Ridley. So if Sakurai announced him, everyone would be hyped, but it would die down relatively quickly, like Mega Man, because everyone was expecting him. So why not leave the fans in the dark, on their feet, and then give them what they wanted? The impact from that would be HUGE! Huge enough to guarantee the Wii U version quite a few more sales.

But it turns out, Sakurai WAS insane. He built up Ridley's Boss Reveal for a damn year.
So using strategic and business logic, we should have been right. Ridley should have been playable, due to Sakurai teasing him as a boss.
But we we're wrong, because instead of Sakurai trolling like usual, he Double-Trolled. By that I mean, he knew we all thought he was trolling with the Ridley thing, and that he would be playable, so he trolled us by having what we thought was him trolling be false.
It's "Trollception," if you will.

So all in all, the detractors shouldn't go around bragging about how smart they were, and they they knew we were being delusional. In any other case, we would have been right. If this was any other developer on the planet, we would have been right, and this would have built up to a Ridley Reveal. But it wasn't. This was Sakurai. And nobody knows whether he is going to troll, or if he is going to troll the people who think he's trolling.

That said, I'm fine with Ridley being a boss this time around.

In Melee, Sakurai thought Ridley was OK, and would make for a cool cameo in the into, and as a trophy

In Brawl, Sakurai saw Ridley had some dedicated fans, so he made him a boss. Unfortunately, he was just a Dyna Blade copy-paste job. Sakurai thought the simply presence of him as a boss would be enough for the fans.

Now, in Smash 4, Sakurai noticed that Ridley had A LOT of fans. Fans that didn't want him as a boss, and wanted him playable, and thought that a boss role didn't do him justice. Sakurai was in a pickle. He personally believed Ridley was best as a boss, and didn't know how to make him playable (as said in the Nintendo Power interview). But the fans wanted him to be rightfully represented, and be playable. So what did Sakurai do? He made a compromise. He made Ridley a boss, but the closes thing a boss could be to a playable character. He made a really complex boss, that obviously had a lot of effort put into it. He made it so Ridley actually used moves from Metroid, and would even fight alongside the fighters, like a playable character would. He even through in meta Ridley, just for kicks. Sakurai thought this would please all the fans. After all, Ridley was one step away from playable.

But Sakurai was wrong. While Smash Wii U's boss Ridley is very impressive, and perfectly represents Ridley as a boss, it is just not enough. I appreciate all the effort that went into him, and he looks really fun to play with and fight. But have to make Sakurai realize that we won't quit until Ridley is playable.

We have to continue support. And by Smash 5, Sakurai will realize that, even one step below playable, we won't be fully satisfied until Ridley is a true, playable character on the roster.

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
Not really i just hate all the negativity in here every since the direct a couple days ago.When a character gets deconfirmed it's nly natural to be mad but for others to come in here and gloat is unnecessary.What makes ridley any more different than other characters that you have to hit him when he's down.Nothing.So there's no need for this hate or negativity.That's was the pointi was hoping to gett across but seems to keep getting overlooked
Exactly. Ridley is the victim of double standards everywhere.

People love to yell about how he's too big. This is based on the idea that while other characters in the Nintendoverse can change their stature at will (which Ridley does, by the way), Ridley can't be scaled down to fit in the Smash roster. Double standard.

People love to gloat about how he can't be playable because he's a stage element. Yet this is the same series in which two different versions of Donkey Kong can serve two different roles at the same time on the same stage. This is the series in which R.O.B. can be both a playable character and an army of mooks in the story. Double standard.

And of course, people love to pick on the Ridley supporters because our overt optimism is visible. and this is the Internet so of course everyone loves to stomp on any positive emotions. Yet no one spat in the faces of other characters' supporters when they were flatly disconfirmed. As much as I can't stand Waluigi, I extended my sympathies to those who supported him anyway. Having a character you love be rejected is a painful thing. Yet everyone just abandons their basic decency in the face of our hope. Just because it's Ridley. Double standard.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Which is exactly why Donkey Kong on 75m gets replaced whenever the playable DK is used in battle.

And they even brought 75m back in the Wii U version, so I'm afraid the example directly conflicts with the way you claim Sakurai is thinking.
I must admit that is a good point.

But why would Toon Link in Spirit Tracks be replaced by Alfonzo whenever Link (not Toon) is present? Why is Other M Ridley just referred to as "Ridley" and even has a Meta Ridley form (inspired by Prime)?

Tells me it's a case of a composite character.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CompositeCharacter

Also, the definition of delusional according to my device (iPad) contains the phrase "typically a symptom of a mental disorder." Make of that whatever you will.
I didn't intend to have such an implication.

I meant to say that after the April Direct, it was just hard to believe Ridley would be playable.

Unlike Toon Link and Alfonzo, Ridley has a complex role on the stage. One that isn't easily replicated by another character.

Dual roles can happen and I never denied that. Riki appears as an Assist Trophy and as part of Shulk's Final Smash, after all.

However, both Toon Link and Alfonzo, and Riki's cases are easier to handle than Ridley.

When I saw Toon Link on Spirit Train, I thought he was gone for good. I didn't like it and held some hope for his return, but I wasn't blinded by that hope. I was completely caught off-guard when Toon Link was officially revealed. I never imagined it would be possible.

That's all I have to say. I'm out of this thread. I just wanted to drop my opinion here.

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
This is a valid point as well, and one that makes me still unsure of where this whole thing will end up. Meta Ridley does point to composite character, so that makes it seem like Bossley might have been worked on as playable at one point. I hope Sakurai gives us answers soon.

I meant to say that after the April Direct, it was just hard to believe Ridley would be playable.
Ah... I'm sorry about that. What can I say, I just get excited after every major Smash information reveal, and the fact that so many people have just come here to gloat is heartbreaking. So it's not exactly helping me try to stay calm...

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
You know, a good chunk of this salt is from the people coming here to pour it on the wounds. I'm frustrated that Ridley isn't playable, but I always knew it was a likely thing. I still supported Playable Ridley because I wanted him, and there were reasons to hope. Not to know for sure, but to hope.

Everyone coming in here to mock people who were hoping against hope are ***holes, pure and simple, there's no nice way to put it. A good 75% of the salt would disappear if you would just GO AWAY AND TAKE YOUR BAGS OF WOUND-POURING SALT WITH YOU!

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to gloat or something. Not my kind of thing. Like I said, I don't care about Ridley. So what would be the point of me coming here and gloat about it? That's petty.

Plus, I'm a mod. I need to have some sense of dignity.

However, I do tend to say things bluntly. I'm honest to that point. Sorry if I seemed like a jerk. I just wanted to express my opinion on the matter.

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman

Unlike Toon Link and Alfonzo, Ridley has a complex role on the stage. One that isn't easily replicated by another character.

Dual roles can happen and I never denied that. Riki appears as an Assist Trophy and as part of Shulk's Final Smash, after all.

However, both Toon Link and Alfonzo, and Riki's cases are easier to handle than Ridley.

When I saw Toon Link on Spirit Train, I thought he was gone for good. I didn't like it and held some hope for his return, but I wasn't blinded by that hope. I was completely caught off-guard when Toon Link was officially revealed. I never imagined it would be possible.

That's all I have to say. I'm out of this thread. I just wanted to drop my opinion here.
Well, I'm just going to put this out here (even though you're leaving, not trying to start an argument or anything), the Pyrosphere already has stage hazards/gimmicks, those are the Zeros, FG II-Graham Units, and Joulions. He (IMO) doesn't need a replacement because there would be hazards already in play on the Pyroshpere. I mean he doesn't necessarily have to be a stage boss/trade off assistant, due to this I wouldn't say that Ridley's case is any harder to handle the other 3, unless Sakurai specifically wants a boss hazard or w/e to be on that stage. But due to the fact we're just knowing about Ridley and the other hazards I'd say this is a complete lock on Ridley's status if we were to have known about the FG II-Graham Units, Joulions, and Zeros before hand the story might have been different (But who knows, anything can happen since we have Mewtwo DLC, but I wouldn't get my hopes up, seems HIGHLY unlikely at this point, plus one of the main reason I wanted Ridley was everyone would shut up about a character being too big to be playable).

Last edited:

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to gloat or something. Not my kind of thing. Like I said, I don't care about Ridley. So what would be the point of me coming here and gloat about it? That's petty.

Plus, I'm a mod. I need to have some sense of dignity.

However, I do tend to say things bluntly. I'm honest to that point. Sorry if I seemed like a jerk. I just wanted to express my opinion on the matter.
I'm glad you came in here just to plainly state yourself rather than pour salt in our wounds.

I'm rather blunt myself (IRL especially) and I tend to come off as a jerk to others for that, so I know where you're coming from here. You shouldn't apologize for being truthful, I should apologize for taking your comments the wrong way and blowing up in your face about it.

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
KI should have been left with only 1 character though.
While he may care about those franchies, he certainly has screwed up priorities for them, especially with KI (too much) and DK (not enough).
I'm sorry, I'm gonna have to stop you, there. With the huge popularity of Uprising, KI definitely nedded a new rep to help advertise it. Palutena was best suited for that because of her big role in that game, along with her improved relationship with Pit. So with that in mind, her inclusion is perfectly justified.

Now while it may be hard for me to defend Dark Pit (considering he IS a lazy inclusion, and could've been better as a seperate fighter), I can say that both Smash and Uprising are HIS games, and HE has the power to add how many of HIS characters that HE wants! Sakurai has his own wishlist of characters he wants to add, so if you ask me, he has the damn priority to add any of those wishlist characters!

Yes, his priorities were abit off-key this time around, but for god sake, don't preach it like you're bearing a grudge against him! Its unhealthy, and you end up coming off as childish; one of many definitions for the steryotypical Ridley fanboy. If you want people to think of this fanbase better than they do (which they think very low), then the first step is cleaning up your act, and appreceating what we got. I'm likely much younger than you, and I'm taking this better; act your age, for once! This is exactly why the Ridley fanbase has such a bad name.:grrr:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Just drop it everyone.

If this thread wishes to continue, not sure why it was re-opened to begin with, there's going to have to be changes in how things are discussed. Focus on the future, not the past.

There is no point in having a thread that's nothing but salt and negativity, and I cannot tell you how much I want to kill this thread once and for all, by all means prove me wrong.
If i'm being honest you probably should.There only gonna be salt and arguing in here and no one wants to read or be a part of that.Better to stop it before something bad happens

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I don't care for Pit or KI as a series, but even I don't think Palutena and Dark Pit being added are bias on Sakurai's part, the games are popular and have done very well. I'm fine with Palutena, and even Dark Pit, although I'm against clones I guess it's fine.

So lets talk about Ridley.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
@ AuraShaman AuraShaman Any of the three clones (Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, Lucina) were added at the end of development and were working alt characters like Alph and the 7 Koopalings at one point during production. They had some spare time to turn said alts into separate characters with slight differences, something that was also intended to avoid spending too much manpower on them, as well as to not disrupt the game's balancing.

"Why not Alph?", you may ask. Well, Dark Pit and Lucina happen to be very popular characters in Japan and Dr. Mario brings a certain niche some fans might appreciate. Alph also had to deal with the more complex Pikmin mechanics, which made him less feasible considering manpower was to be limited regarding clones.

To lighten up the conversation: why did you want Ridley to be playable in Smash?

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
To lighten up the conversation: why did you want Ridley to be playable in Smash?
I thought Melee and Brawl did a great job of adding the characters to flesh out the rosters of Nintendo's major series, like Peach, Bowser, Zelda, Ganondorf, Meta Knight, King Dedede, and Diddy Kong. I wanted to see that continued, especially with the major Nintendo villains that hadn't been added yet. My "dream rosters" have always included Ridley and King K. Rool for that reason.

Last edited:

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Ridley for DLC! Just get his model from Other M and make it smaller and bam!Playable. Is it really that hard for a professional like Sakurai? I mean if 14 year old can make a nice model of playable Ridley in Brawl then I'm positive a 40 something year old professional can as well.

Also why haven't trolls be modded for intentionally trolling and flaming?

Last edited:

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Ridley for DLC! Just get his model from Other M and make it smaller and bam!Playable. Is it really that hard for a professional like Sakurai? I mean if 14 year old can make a nice model of playable Ridley in Brawl then I'm positive a 40 something year old professional can as well.

Also why haven't trolls be modded for intentionally trolling and flaming?
He can do it if he wants to. I think he can even shrink Metal Face so he can be playable too. I'd play as ****** Metal Face omfg.

Maybe we can play as ****** Master Hand and Crazy Hand too? Or just their fingers? Post your ideas!

Last edited:

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
He can do it if he wants to. I think he can even shrink Metal Face so he can be playable too. I'd play as ****** Metal Face omfg.

Maybe we can play as ****** Master Hand and Crazy Hand too? Or just their fingers? Post your ideas!
If getting Ridley means getting playable Metal Face.... Yes!! I like Meta Face.

?????????????

Smash Master

Yeah! Why don't you go create the Metal Face and Crazy Fingers support threads?

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Sakurai is just too lazy to add Ridley. If size was really an issue that a really lazy excuse.

There have been characters that are titanic in size shrunken down to be playable in other fighting games.

Sentinel from Marvel is like some 20-40 foot tall robot killer. Yet in Marvel vs Capcom 2 & 3 he's only 8 feet tall? Sentienl can easily hold up to 3-4 Spider-Man's in it's hand yet in MvC2 and 3 Spider Man is almost his size?

Shuma-Gorath. A titanic planet sized alien. Nemesis of Doctor Strange. Shuma is a galactic sized alien who's always been shown to be the size ranging from a mountain-planet in Marvel. Yet in the crossover games he's super small? He easily towers over Dr. Strange yet in MvC3 doctor strange is way taller then Shuma Gorath?

The point is even if a character is canically always a giant they can always be shrunken down a lot to a perfect size to be playable in fighting games.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Just saw the GameXplain video of Ridley stage hazard and I thought I didn't mind it at first but I have to be honest, I'm disappointed. Most of the time he's just idly moving around and as said by @ Captain Fun Captain Fun , just waiting for players to fight over him. There's a hint of a possible moveset for him, final smash and with the inclusion of the stock icon, no doubt he was planned to be a playable character but this stage hazard just makes him a glorified punching bag. I can only assume that issues such as the 3DS limitations have held him back.

Completely agree with this. ^
I don't think there is any evidence he was going to be a playable character at this time. At the very least I don't think he would have made it past the concept phase.

None of his moves look fitting for a playable character (with the possible exception of that claw swipe) because they're too slow and telegraphed or stage specific, and he basically has to have a stock icon if he is worth points. Plus he even has a boss hurtbox.

Last edited:

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
What I'm getting from you is "We're not whining at all!"
And then I look up and I see:
"They ruined him"
"The only way people will forgive him is if they turn Ridley into a playable"
"Sakurai doesn't appreciate the franchise"

That's a lot of the reactions I'm seeing.

And as to the comment you kept pointing out, you say "that being said" as if shouting "sakurai's bias" is the popular, acceptable opinion.

Not to mention you're AGAIN accusing me of saying the game has no problems. I already said it does, but we're not talking about those. We're talking about Ridley. And no, Ridley not being in playable is not a problem. Saying that it's a problem is an opinion, yet you're stating it as if it's a fact. An actual problem is Ice Climbers being cut due to 3DS limitations.
Yo like... you were so right up until the very end. But Ice climbers is an opinion too. I think the door is shut on ridley but ridley> ice climbers any ****ing day.

No one has even played the ice climber game which is apparently bad

Mariohuge

Smash Apprentice
Yo like... you were so right up until the very end. But Ice climbers is an opinion too. I think the door is shut on ridley but ridley> ice climbers any ****ing day.

No one has even played the ice climber game which is apparently bad
I was referring to characters being cut due to limitations, which wouldn't be there if the game was only made on the wii u.

Then again, it would be a bit...much for there to be 8 (or in a sense, 16) ice climbers in one stage. If that happened, the game might've had to support 16-player smash!

Top Bottom