• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to gloat or something. Not my kind of thing. Like I said, I don't care about Ridley. So what would be the point of me coming here and gloat about it? That's petty.

Plus, I'm a mod. I need to have some sense of dignity.

However, I do tend to say things bluntly. I'm honest to that point. Sorry if I seemed like a jerk. I just wanted to express my opinion on the matter.
If anyone else had been calling everyone who supported Ridley after April diluted/delusional, etc. they would've gotten a warning/infraction like anyone else coming here to cause trouble, but I guess since you got a red banner under your name it's okay in your case right?

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Warning Received
Sakurai is just too lazy to add Ridley. If size was really an issue that a really lazy excuse.
People like you are the reason this thread is **** on so much, you are just an ungrateful child who didn't get what he wants. You all act like victims to Sakurai's "trolling" when all he did was tease Ridley during announcing there are stage bosses. He told you what to expect, and you guys took it as OMG RIDLEY PLAYABLE, and that's your own fault. Calling him lazy/stupid or anything else because you got your hopes up by yourself is the most pathetic thing I've ever seen, and it's funny to others, so yes we poke fun, you deluded people make it too easy...even people just commenting saying "Congrats, Ridley looks like an awesome boss" is taken negatively, when they mean it, as he's a cool boss.

tl;dr:

and grow up.

Infract me, although I haven't said anything wrong some with power here are the one's im referring to.

Strofirko

Smash Master
Rather than internet fight with each other,we could discuss the future of this thread,if it has one...

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
Warning Received
@ AuraShaman AuraShaman Any of the three clones (Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, Lucina) were added at the end of development and were working alt characters like Alph and the 7 Koopalings at one point during production. They had some spare time to turn said alts into separate characters with slight differences, something that was also intended to avoid spending too much manpower on them, as well as to not disrupt the game's balancing.

"Why not Alph?", you may ask. Well, Dark Pit and Lucina happen to be very popular characters in Japan and Dr. Mario brings a certain niche some fans might appreciate. Alph also had to deal with the more complex Pikmin mechanics, which made him less feasible considering manpower was to be limited regarding clones.

To lighten up the conversation: why did you want Ridley to be playable in Smash?
Also I know this is off topic but I would've really preferred those characters stayed as alts. Alts are, to me, fun inclusions but the clones dillute the game and the roster

If anyone else had been calling everyone who supported Ridley after April diluted/delusional, etc. they would've gotten a warning/infraction like anyone else coming here to cause trouble, but I guess since you got a red banner under your name it's okay in your case right?
Why you taking it so personally? He's right, it was very foolish to hype yourselves up over nothing (in fact over evidence that pointed to him NOT being playable)

Its tough to ignore people here blaming sakurai for this, makes me want to knock some sense into you. Take responsibility for your own disappointment and people wouldn't come here to tell you off

Last edited by a moderator:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I really am sorry for all the Ridley fans. I may not be a Metroid fan- but I understand how much he means to the series, and for that reason alone, I supported him. My condolences....I really hope Sakurai considers him as a DLC character later down the line. <3

NNID
Majorasmask66
Also I know this is off topic but I would've really preferred those characters stayed as alts. Alts are, to me, fun inclusions but the clones dillute the game and the roster
Yea i just dont get it. i mean what good is a big roster if the characters play the same? not implying that this roster is filled with clones but im just saying adding characters for the sake of having a bigger roster is very pointless. characters should bring something to the roster. If they dont, then they are basically worthless. I think having alternate costumes instead is a better thing because it adds more to the characters they are costumes for. And the time changing anything with these characters could be spent with anything else.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Just drop it everyone.

If this thread wishes to continue, not sure why it was re-opened to begin with, there's going to have to be changes in how things are discussed. Focus on the future, not the past.

There is no point in having a thread that's nothing but salt and negativity, and I cannot tell you how much I want to kill this thread once and for all, by all means prove me wrong.
Just do it once and for all.
This thread is pointless now. The only kind of replies there will be are either those that show/have disappointment/anger, sheer stupidity, flame bait, "you was rong, i was right, i was right", trolling, arguing and everything between those. This thread is support thread and like other support threads must be closed if character it supports is disconfirmed. Forever. Its not special anyhow (other than that it will get too big soon), so, it shouldn't be the only exception. I doubt there will be anything else until Ridley will somehow be playable or this thread will be closed. This thread has no future.
To lighten up the conversation: why did you want Ridley to be playable in Smash?
He is 2nd most important character of a franchise that has only 1 character representing it twice, he looks awesome and is just as iconic as Bowser and Ganondorf (mostly his Super Metroid version). He deserves to be playable, looks awesome and i just want him playable.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Since this thread seems like it may get closed again..

Sorry that ol' Ridley didn't get in guys. Chances for DLC is slim, but who know what may happen.
If you must look on the bright side, at least you have a really cool boss character.

I wasn't a huge Ridley fan (heh), but I do recognize his awesomeness, especially after finding out the connections between the Alien movies and Metroid.

Best of wishes.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
Every where I go I see :troll: and hate Towards Ridley hardly anyone comments on "Oh my god Look how awesome of a stage boss" It's always the "GTFO Ridley Fans" While I love Smash and everything that comes with it I absolutely cannot stand the Fans that just want there characters. Even Ridley Fans are happy to see him become a boss and the Mewtwo fans actually gave sympathy. I'm sorry for that little rant :3 But it just annoys me that people till hate on the big guy.
Ridley and Pyrosphere for Life.
Edit: The post above me being a prime example for the Mewtwo fans :) Thanks MaskO'Gears for your impeccable timing :D

Last edited:

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
People like you are the reason this thread is **** on so much, you are just an ungrateful child who didn't get what he wants. You all act like victims to Sakurai's "trolling" when all he did was tease Ridley during announcing there are stage bosses. He told you what to expect, and you guys took it as OMG RIDLEY PLAYABLE, and that's your own fault. Calling him lazy/stupid or anything else because you got your hopes up by yourself is the most pathetic thing I've ever seen, and it's funny to others, so yes we poke fun, you deluded people make it too easy...even people just commenting saying "Congrats, Ridley looks like an awesome boss" is taken negatively, when they mean it, as he's a cool boss.

tl;dr:

and grow up.

Infract me, although I haven't said anything wrong some with power here are the one's im referring to.
Way to go kid for completely ignoring everything else I wrote. Why quote only one thing? Why not the whole. My reasoning for sakurai being lazy also connected to other developers making giants like Sentinel and Shuma Gorath playable. Ridley is a baby compared to Sentinel and an ant compared to Shuma Gorath. Ya first time ever I have to put something so obnoxious on ignore.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Delusion is concept that is the reverse of rationality, you see.

April Direct was clear, based on context:
- Sakurai talks about Yellow Devil and how he's a boss on Wily Castle.
- He proceeds to say there are more bosses like him.
- He shows footage of Ridley's shadow on the Pyrosphere with a caption saying "Other boss appearances"

Be objective: what is the most logical conclusion you can draw from here?

I'm trying to hold a civil conversation here without gloating or being petty, unlike trolls. I'm blunt, I know, but I favor rational thinking and clear argumentation. Delusion is the opposite of that.

It boggles my mind that, in the face of sheer evidence, people argued the opposite. It's a behavior I cannot understand.

One thing is to hope, another thing is to be deluded to the point of abandoning rationality in an argument. I'm sympathetic to hopeful people, but that is no reason to abandon rationality in a conversation.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Do y'all think Sakurai will talk about Ridley in a interview that will most likely be soon?mi halted about other controversial subjects like Chrom and the clones.

- He shows footage of Ridley's shadow on the Pyrosphere with a caption saying "Other boss appearances"

I'm trying to hold a civil conversation here without gloating or being petty, unlike trolls. I'm blunt, I know, but I favor rational thinking and clear argumentation. Delusion is the opposite of that.

It boggles my mind that, in the face of sheer evidence, people argued the opposite. It's a behavior I cannot understand.

One thing is to hope, another thing is to be deluded to the point of abandoning rationality in an argument. I'm sympathetic to hopeful people, but that is no reason to abandon rationality in a conversation.
Again why are you even here? If you dont like Ridley just leave please. I know your a mod and suppose to supervise but you really aren't making things here any better.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.

I gave a little hope Call it the Alfonzo complex:4tlink: Rildey would be playable. Meta Ridley would be a Boss.
but overall I am happy with the Role they both share in pyrosphere :)
Also guys quit the fighting and go

SETTLE IT IN SMASH.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Again why are you even here? If you dont like Ridley just leave please. I know your a mod and suppose to supervise but you really aren't making things here any better.
I never said I don't like Ridley. I don't really care about him.

However, I'm trying to understand why people are disappointed with the Direct, when this was old news already.

The April Direct was clear in stating Ridley's role in this game. I'm just saying that people should have seen this coming. It's just my opinion, that's all.

You don't have to agree with me.

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Why did you want Ridley to be playable in Smash?
I'm so glad you asked! Everyone on this thread knows by now, but I used to be a strong detractor against Ridley. It wasn't until I watched Alax's video and Aldelaro5's essay that I started really thinking. Was my opinion of him at the time truely a fact, or was I being biased? I decided to do my own research on Ridley, and the fanbase. To my surprise, I learned many of the fans were more civil than I thought, and that they've recieved quite the unjustified bullying for simply wanting a character.

Since then, I feel Ridley needs to be playable not just he's responsible for shaping Samus into who she is today, but that it would give the long-awaited justice the fans deserve. They've been accused guilty without a fair trial, and I wanna give that fair trial by making Ridley playable in an official Smash game just to see if he really is as bad as people say. Many thought Rosalina, Little Mac, Duck Hunt, and PAC-MAN couldn't be playable, and now they've all of a sudden become beloved characters to the Smash franchise; I doubt Ridley will be any different if we try.

My purpose to supporting him is also to create a future for the Smash community where all opinions are respected and civil, seeing there is no true superior opinion about characters. People have been wrongly bullied and labeled just for supporting a character that person didn't like. Seeing Smash depends on the voices of fans, you should never feel ashamed of who you want just because someone talks you down like you don't know any better. If there's anything that's gonna make everyone see that, its Ridley's inclusion as a playable character. Mewtwo was starting to become controversial simply because his fans were starting to get annoying, and look what happened?

But yeah, that's my reason for supporting Ridley: because he's important to Samus, the fans have suffered enough punishment, and for a better future for the community.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Just do it once and for all.
This thread is pointless now. The only kind of replies there will be are either those that show/have disappointment/anger, sheer stupidity, flame bait, "you was rong, i was right, i was right", trolling, arguing and everything between those. This thread is support thread and like other support threads must be closed if character it supports is disconfirmed. Forever. Its not special anyhow (other than that it will get too big soon), so, it shouldn't be the only exception. I doubt there will be anything else until Ridley will somehow be playable or this thread will be closed. This thread has no future.
I am pretty sure the Chrom thread stayed opened after his de-confirmation. However, as I said months ago, any character with a clearly defined role in Smash Bros. 4 outside of being a trophy most likely has not future as DLC.

This thread is probably going to die down in the weeks ahead, assuming it is not closed before then. Its basically sour grapes right now.

As someone that has been wanting Ridley for over 15 years, its disappointing to see he does not even make the running for DLC. It will be interesting to see what other characters becomes DLC (my main guess are other cut veterans, DK newcomer, Zelda newcomer, and Bandanna Dee).

For a Sakurai directed Smash Bros. title though, we are at the very least going to have to wait until 2019/2020. And that is assuming Sakurai doesn't flat out say "I just think Ridley is not playable material" or Metroid's hiatus does not continue.

For the immediate future, our hopes lay with Bagan's efforts and possibly Project M. As it stands, Ridley is the second most wanted character for Project M (behind only Isaac), and what largely handicapped him being 1st was the expectation that he was going to be in Smash 4 (I tried my best to convince people otherwise a year ago, but most people here had way too much faith in Sakurai in regards to Ridley).

If this thread's position is untenable, we should instead focus our efforts to getting Ridley into Project M or helping with Bagan's efforts. This is a social group based around just that:
http://smashboards.com/social-forum...ter-and-sami-needs-moar-re-inforcements.1743/

If you want to join, send me a PM.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
I never said I don't like Ridley. I don't really care about him.

However, I'm trying to understand why people are disappointed with the Direct, when this was old news already.

The April Direct was clear in stating Ridley's role in this game. I'm just saying that people should have seen this coming. It's just my opinion, that's all.

You don't have to agree with me.
If you don't care, stop talking about it.

King Donkey Kong

Banned via Warnings
I corrected myself already. If you didn't saw it, then you either didn't noticed it or you are blind.
Oh I didn't notice, sorry. I saw that and went WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

xD

Hey! You need to be careful, here; that stuff can be taken the wrong way, and be infracted as trolling.
Oh my bad, I thought it would make people laugh tbh :(

Strofirko

Smash Master
I am really done here,I wish luck for the fans and for the haters,for the rational and the irrational people to exercise their minds.

And I will left a reminder:
The problem with metroid series in general it's more expansive than ridley being denied in smash bros or sakurai bias,it's the constantly changing the style of the series between eastern and western,we really don't know where the series gonna end,from a simple 2D action shooter with exploration to a FPS with heavily focused in multiplayer madness,from a FPS focused on exploration with weird creatures to a linear action shooter focused on story,now recently we got the picture from next level games with a cartoony style,we even don't know if Retro studios is making the next game,if it's gonna be a FPS or a 2D action,but a thing I can say for sure:nintendo remembers metroid.
And I can prove that,just by pointing Monster hunter 4 and Bayonneta promotional stuff.
And do not worry that I can safely guarantee that a metroid game is coming very soon.

Last edited:

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Ridley for Project M? Man if he was playable on th I would completely drop Smash 4 and play that instead. Well not I'd play it for fun cause of Wendy. Hehe

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Ridley for Project M? Man if he was playable on th I would completely drop Smash 4 and play that instead. Well not I'd play it for fun cause of Wendy. Hehe
I guess you bought the game/plan to then huh? Enjoy your hack.

It would be cool if he was in PM for you guys

Last edited:

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Oh my bad, I thought it would make people laugh tbh :(
Its cool, man. Hearing you say that, I know you were trying to lighten the mood.

Still, this is the Ridley thread; a fanbase that's dealt with so much bullying, they don't know which jokes are harmless, anymore. I advise you think carefully before making another joke like that.

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
The most corrupt country ever, except most others.

Why did people keep hoping? I'll tell you why we kept hoping. And why I still do.

Popular requests, such as Waluigi and Skull Kid, were disconfirmed as playable throughout development. When they were, it was swift, brutal, and left absolutely no room for doubt. Sakurai straight-up said "X character is not playable." Being stuck into the AT role has so far been concrete proof of disconfirmation - if Ridley was an AT and he got disconfirmed in a similar manner as the above examples, this thread would not even be half as big. Based on the way he handled other disconfirmations, he knows that a one-and-done deal is preferable to slowly drawing it out. Why? Because there's no room for false hope. Fake hype is a terrible business strategy, and Nintendo is smart enough to know this.

So if Ridley has been truly disconfirmed... why did they handle it differently? Why, when a potential disconfirmation rolled around, did they instead decide to sort of dance around it and be vague? They never called him out by name until the 50-fact extravaganza. They never even had him on screen until then. Sakurai never said "this character will not be playable." He left room for doubt. This is easily comparable to the Toon Link situation - he showed Toon Link as a stage prop, but never said "not playable." Lo and behold, he found a way to get Toon Link in a dual role. He teased Toon Link, he never truly disconfirmed anything, and that teasing paid off. Toon Link is playable. From the April Direct later on, he teased Palutena with the Pseudo-Palutena trophy. He made people think that she was a trophy, then he faked us out. Guess where Palutena is now?

Looking at it this way, we did some math. Sakurai is teasing this character in an unusual way. But when he's teased characters before, it paid off. Their fans ultimately got their wishes. Couple this with a fact that not many people seem to know - multiple Ridleys exist in Metroid canon. He's been blown up, reassembled, and cloned many times in the series so the devs could continue giving him Joker Immunity. Following previous examples and this, we arrived at the conclusion that Ridley would eventually be revealed as a playable character.

It came down to this: Sakurai's handling of Ridley was completely inconsistent with the ah he handled other disconfirmed characters. It was consistent with the way he handled characters who became playable. And we trusted Sakurai's judgment. We had confidence in his strategy. And frankly, with DLC confirmed and the idea of dual roles, I still do. But once again, he knows a lot of things that we don't, so there are undoubtedly some factors at play that we're unaware of.

Honestly, I don't see why everyone's acting like Ridley on the Pyrosphere is news. We've known since April that he'd be a stage element, it was just a matter of "how does this stage element work." I also don't see why everyone's acting like he doesn't have a chance either. Past playable characters have had dual roles, and they used multiple incarnations to dance around that. Considering how popular Ridley is (and the fact that they are clearly aware of this)... well, I've already done the math.

Goodness, but I got wordy there.

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Project M is going to have five newcomers. They already have Mewtwo and Roy, a bunch of awesome past stages, and a massive selection of alternate costumes (which are true alternate costumes, not palette swaps). Characters like Isaac, Lyn, and Skull Kid also all have good prospects for it.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Why you taking it so personally? He's right, it was very foolish to hype yourselves up over nothing (in fact over evidence that pointed to him NOT being playable)

Its tough to ignore people here blaming sakurai for this, makes me want to knock some sense into you. Take responsibility for your own disappointment and people wouldn't come here to tell you off
Though I stuck around to the bitter end, I wasn't hyping myself up over it. I knew that was the most likely outcome for Ridley and prepared myself for it, but that doesn't mean you have to resort to namecalling and such to others who maybe weren't. You can still express your displeasure/disagreement to others blaming Sakurai or whatever in a more civil way. Like I would just say they have no one to blame but theirselves for setting themselves up for the disappointment.

Eh, fair enough. In hindsight I was still agreeing with you on the subject (again, I knew boss was the most likely outcome even though I stuck around to the bitter end), but just thought you could've been, let's just say less hostile about expressing it. If being that blunt is generally your nature though and not just when it comes to talking about certain Ridley fans, then far be it from me to fault you for that. I don't know you that well still to be honest so if that's just normally how you are and not just over the whole Ridley subject, then I apologize for my earlier statement and such.

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I also don't see why everyone's acting like he doesn't have a chance either. Past playable characters have had dual roles, and they used multiple incarnations to dance around that. Considering how popular Ridley is (and the fact that they are clearly aware of this)... well, I've already done the math.
The ONLY character that had a duo role in Smash Bros. was Toon Link. However, even then Toon Link's NPC form in Smash 3DS was a very low-polygon DS model in which he is not even in his green attire.

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
The most corrupt country ever, except most others.
The ONLY character that had a duo role in Smash Bros. was Toon Link. However, even then Toon Link's NPC form in Smash 3DS was a very low-polygon DS model in which he is not even in his green attire.
R.O.B. in Brawl is both a family of enemy mooks and a playable character. Donkey Kong is both a stage element (75m, both in Brawl and 4) and a playable character.

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
No he isn't the only one, Riki is in Shulk's Final smash and is an assist trophy. R.O.B in Subspace Emissary was both playable and an enemy. So that's a total of 3 dual role (or duo role, which ever works best for you) characters. 4 if you count Donkey Kong in 75M (which I don't, since its believed to be Cranky Kong before he became what he is today.)

Edit: Crap :4greninja:'d by the post above.

Last edited:
Top Bottom