• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
What if (assuming Ridley is a stage hazard)...

Sakurai is revealing this early so he can stop getting requests for him?
Two reasons why this isn't plausible at all:
1) Don't think he'd go "HEY, what if instead of requests, I just slap fans in the face really early on so they stop caring?" It's not his style. If he made a comment it was because he knows people are fans of Ridley.
I think his mistake might be thinking people would be satisfied just to have him in the game in some form, instead of just wanting him playable. And now instead of hype and excitement, he has sheer anxiety and fear and anger, and really all five steps of coping with death.

2) People on the most visible Smash community, Miiverse (let's face it, the Smash team sees this community at least once a day, not just Sakurai), don't really request Ridley as much as, say, stuff like Rosalina, Minecraft Steve, and the entire roster of Mario and Sonic at the Olympics.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Honestly, I will never stop wanting or hoping for Ridley's inclusion. To me he will always be a worth Nintendo all-star, and he is still the most noteworthy character from a veteran franchise not yet playable.

It can be until Smash 7, and I will never change this conviction.

I have been up for over 36 hours. So no rousing speech for now. However, Ridley supporters, even if he is de-confirmed, that just means we will need to fight harder and more aggressively next time. :laugh:

masterluigi1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2621-2623-2545
what?

wait. WAHT?

I've never played either game, but I know it's REALLY BAD for any sort of "text" to go against established characteristics like that. It has to be reasoned REALLY BADLY. like a magic spell... or brainwashing. Even then, it just doesn't feel right...
LOL it seems like everyone here dissing other M hasn't played it

fyi no "text" went against established characteristics because there were cut scenes IN THE GAME that showed her rebelling against authority in her past.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
LOL it seems like everyone here dissing other M hasn't played it

fyi no "text" went against established characteristics because there were cut scenes IN THE GAME that showed her rebelling against authority in her past.
then does it have a perfectly reasonable explanation of WHY she's following authority? I swear, if it's just because she likes that Adam guy I'm going to kill myself.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Well, I'm glad I know some nice people who are able to think straight. It's tough dealing with those who refuse to accept things or are stubborn about the slightest hints.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
That's a possibility, but not necessarily something attached to the actual character. It could have been Charizard that had those stats, or King Dedede. Just because you have an idea that's unique doesn't mean they would actually use it.
Also I question how this changes Smash forever.
Charizard doesn't have the moveset or skillset Ridley has; he isn't a predator of the skies like Ridley is, or near as fast. Charizard, even with his wings, still heavily relies on land combat.

As for King Dedede, lol he was never a beast in the air. He never really had anything noticeable in the air.

And yes, having aerial grabs, aerial grab-related combos, and a unique sky-based character (who is the first of this kind) is unique.

Definitely a heck of a lot more unique than the characters nearly everyone else wants.
I still don't understand the enthusiasm behind Ridley supporters.
If Rhythm Heaven or King K. Rool got reduced to stickers in Smash 4 I wouldn't think any less of it.
Getting a character you want in the game is more of a treat than it is a privilege.
Preach.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Huh, made it as a joke but it actually fits really well (not directed at any one, btw, I kind of think most of us went through this)

The Five Stages of Coping with no Ridley in Smash

1. Denial
"He's not a stage hazard, he can't be! I'm sure Sakurai is teasing us about him being playable! Imma stay up all night long to wait for the newcomer video!"

2. Anger
"You know what? F*CK THIS GAME! I'm not even going to bother. Sakurai just made a huge mistake, HUGE!"

3. Bargaining
"I guess I really just want to see an update at this point. Let's just wait a bit longer, I'm sure tomorrow/on Friday he'll update us and then we can move on, but not just yet!"

2. Depression
"This is the worst, he's mocking our pain, that tease was just too much. I don't want to even bother with this game anymore, or updates, or anything."

1. Acceptance
"You know what? I'm sure we'll be fine without Ridley. We'll get another chance, let's just enjoy what we have for now!"

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I thought about staying up that long like you did Chrono, but glad I didn't. Mad props @ you doing so though.

p.s. If N3ON's an angel, then people like you and me must be arch-angels...

Arteen

Smash Lord
then does it have a perfectly reasonable explanation of WHY she's following authority? I swear, if it's just because she likes that Adam guy I'm going to kill myself.
It's just because she likes that Adam guy.

You will be missed.

masterluigi1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2621-2623-2545
yes there are, Samus, on several occasions has said that she thought her past antics were naive, she rebeled agaist authority because back then when she was in the federation she wanted to prove herself and there is really nothing she needs to prove now.
she also agreed because using her abilities on an unknown ship could create dire consequences.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think the problem with Other M was it was aiming for a Japanese audience and games aimed at Japan for some reason have whinyprotagonists and stories with their heads up their own bums.

In Other M's favour, it looked good, combat was intense and the first person mechanic was clever... right up until those pixel hunt/QTE things.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
The minute I leave to go to the grocery store to get some chocolate milk and spaghetti, you guys are at each other's necks! FOR SHAME!

So, let's just talk now: I'm asking for a Wii U for Christmas. When I get it, I'm going to get Smash Bros. And hear me out: If Ridley is not in the game, I will go to extremes by sighing, saying "Oh well, maybe next time" and then continue to buy the game.

You guys are seeing Ridley in HOLES IN A WALL! Sakurai's trying to get hype up to the point where everyone is paying attention. If they didn't reveal Mega Man, and then suddenly showed Mario getting attacked by a few lemon-like shots and a Metal Blade WITH NO CLEAR EVIDENCE IT WAS FROM MEGA MAN, we'd all go nuts. And if he didn't reveal it was Mega Man who fired them until near release, it would hype us up even more. If you seriously heard that Sakurai hinted that Ridley would be in-game, would you NOT flock to your friends and squee?

So, in conclusion, I don't think we'll be seeing Ridley any time soon, until release. If he showed off a sized-down Ridley and titled it "Boss Battle", we'd go INSANE. He'd show it on Pyrosphere and say "Is that a stage hazard?" and we'd go insane, only for 3 months later to say "Looks like Ridley isn't confined to the Pyrosphere" and show him attacking a Final Smash Ball, we'd all basically call Sakurai our hero and name our children after him, or, even worse, ask him to have our babies (even if we're guys).

BE LOGICAL, GUYS!
I agree with younc completely if Ridley fails to get in again ill just say oh well there's always ssb5 and there's other wanted character for the game to be anticipated about

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I just liked it because I thought it was a bit funny, that's all.
That, and on another note, trying to demean someone by their amount of posts isn't exactly civil.
I'm just letting him know that I'm the boss, and unless he knows this, he's gonna get smacked across the wall at Ross.

Also, how is his post funny when it is more demeaning than my post=??? That's an oxymoron.
Huh, made it as a joke but it actually fits really well (not directed at any one, btw, I kind of think most of us went through this)
This posts adds nothing, isn't funny, and really is just nothing but troll bait, which is why no one will remember your posts, except for the fact that the great one quoted this post that is one and done, after I told the folks your posting was no fun, and that it stung my brain like a burn in the sun.

Hong

The Strongest
I just liked it because I thought it was a bit funny, that's all.
Ha ha. First time I have seen someone getting ripped for liking a post.

Sometimes I genuinely like it, but other times, I just like to edge someone on with a strong opinion, to fuel the chaos they create in their wake.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Not surprised to see Chrono's, and john's pessimism.
I am having pessimism about Metroid stages, music, the Wii U, and Sakurai's longevity with the franchise, not Ridley being playable.

I've always had those pessimistic beliefs, especially since Nintendo seems to be devolving with how they build up their home consoles since the Wii.
Do support threads usually fall apart like this when a shred of doubt is cast upon a character's inclusion?
How has this one fallen apart=??? Sure, there's panicking people taking over the thread, but there are still some intelligent posts. Mostly this thread has fallen apart because people are crying all over it and people are posting "filler" posts like this talking about how they know way more than anyone else.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm just letting him know that I'm the boss, and unless he knows this, he's gonna get smacked across the wall at Ross.

Also, how is his post funny when it is more demeaning than my post=??? That's an oxymoron.

I'm just a bit of a sucker for over-the-top reactions, is all. His post was over-the-top. :p No harm meant, John, the UNDISPUTED RIDLEY CHAMPION OF SMASHBOARDS AND LEADER OF THE MEN OF MOONKNIGHT.

Did I repent for my sins enough? :confused:

EDIT: This color combo looks like mint chocolate chip ice cream. I like it.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

1. Denial
"He's not a stage hazard, he can't be! I'm sure Sakurai is teasing us about him being playable! Imma stay up all night long to wait for the newcomer video!"

2. Anger
"You know what? F*CK THIS GAME! I'm not even going to bother. Sakurai just made a huge mistake, HUGE!"

3. Bargaining
"I guess I really just want to see an update at this point. Let's just wait a bit longer, I'm sure tomorrow/on Friday he'll update us and then we can move on, but not just yet!"

2. Depression
"This is the worst, he's mocking our pain, that tease was just too much. I don't want to even bother with this game anymore, or updates, or anything."

1. Acceptance
"You know what? I'm sure we'll be fine without Ridley. We'll get another chance, let's just enjoy what we have for now!"
Yep, that's pretty much how a lot of people who really get into something work. They find out something they want to happen might just happen, they either get excited or concerned about it depending on what happens, then they continue to freak out a bit more before deciding to accept whatever happens and proceed to move on with life.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
As I've said in the past, people hate anything that is interesting and want to masturbate to lame *** ideas.
And as I have said before, I agree with you waifu. ;)
Watch the end of this video, from 2:14-2:18.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ifspg5ZCkw&lc=3Q_ci7jahlQyVJtIxcna0XMGl0y-hmHQQxZyZrYAUYs
That'll definitely be a system seller.
Few people, if any, buys home consoles for Pokémon games... at least not since like Pokémon Colosseum, which Nintendo is too stupid to not bring back.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Should I mention that the Kubler-Ross Stages of Coping model is now considered defunct and broken, to the point where it's not even taught in Psychology classes anymore?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I am relatively confident these Smash games (yes, they count as multiple games) will be Sakurai's last, so best case scenario if Ridley is disconfirmed for this game is to keep up his support so that whatever new guy fills his shoes takes notice and may not be a Too Bigot.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
This posts adds nothing, isn't funny, and really is just nothing but troll bait, which is why no one will remember your posts, except for the fact that the great one quoted this post that is one and done, after I told the folks your posting was no fun, and that it stung my brain like a burn in the sun.
Haha, what a cute reminder on how people in here are so far up their own ego that they respond to anything they don't like with extreme defensiveness.

I made an observation about an event that has exhausted most of us in this thread, I figure that's easily more relevant and contributes more to the community than your condescending attitude towards anything that doesn't conform to your taste.

and please, if you really feel the need to respond, just send a pm ... this thread doesn't deserve another pointless argument.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Should I mention that the Kubler-Ross Stages of Coping model is now considered defunct and broken, to the point where it's not even taught in Psychology classes anymore?
That hasn't been taught in psychology classes in about 10 years in colleges, and yet, the hospitals cling onto it like it is the word of God.
Haha, what a cute reminder on how people in here are so far up their own ego that they respond to anything they don't like with extreme defensiveness.

I made an observation about an event that has exhausted most of us in this thread, I figure that's easily more relevant and contributes more to the community than your condescending attitude towards anything that doesn't conform to your taste.
You made an observation to be a troll instead of staying on topic.

Also, I'm not being defensive because I'm not acting that way. I'm just saying attacking said people in said manner is just plain stupid. It gains you, me, and them nothing. That has nothing to do with my ego, but rather, the respect of the posters, and the respect of the topic. Now why don't you tune down your ego, and stop acting like you're some savior vigilante saving us from something, and post something funny that isn't degrading to people with the very purpose to do that.

Like women's rights... which may or may not include Ridley! :chuckle:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

1. Denial

2. Anger

3. Bargaining

2. Depression

1. Acceptance
yep that's how people are reaction and for people who don,t know heres a video version (just change to you can,t quit to the ridley argument)
starting at 0:30
ending 1:52

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That hasn't been taught in psychology classes in about 10 years in colleges, and yet, the hospitals cling onto it like it is the word of God.
Yeah, I think the final nail in the coffin was when they (finally) took the info off the AP tests this year. :laugh:

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
.....AAARRGH, I'VE MADE IT THROUGH THE GAUNTLET!!!

...Uh.... *ahem* ...Okay then.

A lot has been said. I've had a WHOLE lot I wanted to say, but 10 hours ago I had to head to work. I had my 3DS with me, but it couldn't post on Smashboards. I tried to post elsewhere and my post didn't get through.

Okay.... I don't know where to begin. I'm not the kind of person to organize my thoughts on the fly though. So I'm not. Instead, you bare with me.

1 - You guys ganging up on Chronobound: Shame on you all. A lot of you really were not understanding his stance and some needlessly took offense to his statements. If Ridley was the only anchor keeping his SSB4 from being drawn away into oblivion, than that's him. See, a few months back when I was highly interested in who would become the next characters to be made for the fighting game Skullgirls, I've had a particular person say they would delete the game they already bought and never play it again if a certain character GOT IN. Reading that right? Not left out. Put IN. An event that could only serve to add to the game somehow was a bad thing. Now THAT'S ridiculous.
On the other hand, Ridley not getting in benefits few people. The people who want playable Ridley get burned. The people who want boss Ridley get burned. A few people who might wanted a stage hazard Ridley benefit. But worst of all, the lamers and trolls who annoyed their "opposition" get to feel justified.

So no, I'm not bothered by Chronobound saying he won't play SSB4. Brawl satisfied him enough, no other characters are interesting him enough to stay (seriously, you're crazy to think he doesn't know other options exist). It's not about being closed-mind him. It's his preference to feel the series has nothing else to offer him.

Now . . . the "sycophant" thing. Do any of you not believe there are people who, without having an original thought of their own, would praise Sakurai's decision. People who just praise all of Sakurai's decisions because he's Sakurai, "god of Smash Bros."? Let's not be naive! There are sycophants among the Smash Bros. fanbase. This is not debatable. Now, are you a sycophant? Ask yourself that. Did Chronobound say that those who don't support playable Ridley are sycophants? NO. These people would exist regardless of what we've learned today. If you don't grovel at every move Sakurai makes, you're likely not a sycophant, even if you hate the idea of playable Ridley. Don't be so hasty to get offended.

Kay? Kay.

2 - Chronobound, I stand by what I said: "This is the 2ND TIME a game has simulated this Other M environment and Ridley scenario". Keyword: SIMULATED. I didn't say "game". When I said that earlier today, it was directly referencing the Dead or Alive Dimensions game. Now unless there's yet another game that remade that stage, I made no error. Other M is the original, so naturally I wasn't counting it.
If it seems silly I'm bringing this up now, it's because I hate being misunderstood and being unable to correct it immediately. Part of my character.

3 - I'm sorry folk, but if I'm to be considered a pessimist about this situation, so be it. But I'm standing by the belief that Ridley will be a stage hazard. More signs are pointing to this scenario than Sakurai faking us out.

BULLET POINT TIME!

• I've not seen anybody here discuss this, but have you noticed the actual layout of the stage? What's the reason for having the platforms spaced so far apart? Why is there such a large empty space between the platforms? What purpose would that serve? Look at it from a game design perspective. Platforms that are closer together work better to function like a platformer - jumping about to each platform. What I see is space for a certain thing to invade the open space of the stage. Stage very much looks like it's already designed so a notable stage hazard can intrude upon the players' play space.
  • We would like to believe Sakurai's being vague again with his statements. But I'm not buying it. With the Ness/Lucas thing, I was in the "you guys are looking too much into it" camp and believed Ness wasn't being disallowed. This is different. Yes it MIGHT be an issue of translation. But right now the message is all too specific. Pre-Brawl era's reveal of Norfair simply referenced Ridley, in past tense no less. This era's reveal of the Pyrosphere Geothermal area is not only present tense, but even suggests that a "certain enemy" would dare show up mid-battle. And let's not delude ourselves: Only one enemy makes sense in this area. It's not lava. It's not those lava enemies. It's Ridley.
You have to believe me. While I'm typing all of this stuff that beats down the notion that Ridley still has a chance at this point. I've been very quietly SEETHING ...

...I'm with you guys on any frustration. If this is some sort of troll maneuver by Sakurai, it's a cruel one. If it's real, then all I can think at this point is that something is getting lost in translation. Language barrier, distance barrier, whatever barrier. If Sakurai actually thinks this would appease the myriads of Ridley fans, then he must not be understanding something. Perhaps in his mind, we're all loudly crying for a Ridley appearance, and not necessarily a PLAYABLE Ridley. It sounds ridiculous, and my rational side screams "That is a silly notion", but the way this reveal was handled is ridiculous in my eyes.

If the reality finally unveils itself fully and Ridley is not playable, my biggest concern is that Sakurai says nothing about his decision. He instead goes about the development and Dojo like normal, and we're all left wondering why. At that point I would have to give up entirely on any assumption that Sakurai understands Metroid. He's demonstrated the latter for a long time now, and an unexplained refusal of playable Ridley would confirm my suspicions.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Hey, users and guests, check out this new infomercial from the National Organization for Smash Bros. Canon!

Also, no need to bother with any of that condescending Steps of Grief shit here. The reality of these Smash situations are very, very easy to accept once they're known, but that doesn't mean Ridley fans have to be happy about it.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I must admit this is the largest amount of game related outrage that I've seen in a long long time. Admittively, I pretty deattached, I don't really have a character this time around that I would be extremely upset if they don't make it in and that includes Ridley, so my level of capable outrage is pretty low-key this time around. Even if none of my characters in the signature had made it in.

Regardless, I can understand the frustration that is being experienced, Sakurai's tenacity to be very vague when hyping certain aspects means he sometimes unintentionally lights a fire that is difficult to put out what it starts compared if he said no outright. However one point I would make is even though Sakurai brought it up, there's no guarantee he will clarify what he meant for possible some time and he may not clarify it in the short term. So I'd probably join the chrous and say take a deep breath and take it easy.

Though I will admit the broad range of topics argued today as a result of this is an amusing fact though a bit off topic.

GmanSir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GmanSir
What if Sakurai tried his hardest to make Ridley work, but he and his team said it didn't work. Just because someone was not playable, doesn't mean that Sakurai didn't try to make it happen.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Charizard doesn't have the moveset or skillset Ridley has; he isn't a predator of the skies like Ridley is, or near as fast. Charizard, even with his wings, still heavily relies on land combat.

As for King Dedede, lol he was never a beast in the air. He never really had anything noticeable in the air.

And yes, having aerial grabs, aerial grab-related combos, and a unique sky-based character (who is the first of this kind) is unique.

Definitely a heck of a lot more unique than the characters nearly everyone else wants.
Preach.
Being a sky-based character is a unique trait, but keep in mind both Pit and Falco share this attribute, and ariel grabs are a good idea that isn't necessarily new either. Maybe not quite in the form you have in mind, but Bowser and the two Captain Falcons both have grabs that can be used in the air. Sure they're not directional and are both not very combo oriented, but ungrounded throws wouldn't make Ridley the bee all and end all.

Ridley could still be a good character though. While not necessarily full of new ideas, he's definitely a mainstay of an important Nintendo series that is admittedly underrepresented. I don't really care for uniqueness when it comes to it, just the character I'm playing as. But the problem I have with Ridley isn't how unique he is, but how he's represented. I'm a Metroid fan too, but I just don't want Ridley in because changing his proportions or design to fit with the Smash Bros play style would be a bit of a odd way to represent the character. I'd love to play as Ridley, but playing as an undersized and morphed around version of him wouldn't feel quite right.
Also I don't understand your preach comment.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
What if Sakurai tried his hardest to make Ridley work, but he and his team said it didn't work. Just because someone was not playable, doesn't mean that Sakurai didn't try to make it happen.
If that was the case then he wouldn't have put Ridley in as a stage hazard.

A stage hazard like that would have to be planned from the beginning considering it's hard to program.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Harder and more aggressive Ridley support next time..?

Good time to call it quits on Smash speculation when this game comes out...

NJ_Gamer

Smash Rookie
I just think if Ridley was a stage hazard there he would confirm it sooner or later. Odds are this is Samus' homestage and will be the stage where you fight Ridley to unlock him. Makes sense.

Top Bottom