• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Hey, users and guests, check out this new infomercial from the National Organization for Smash Bros. Canon!

Also, no need to bother with any of that condescending Steps of Grief shit here. The reality of these Smash situations are very, very easy to accept once they're known, but that doesn't mean Ridley fans have to be happy about it.
This was beautiful. I had to log on to youtube and like it.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
It's just because she likes that Adam guy.

You will be missed.
I looked at it more like this... kind of an "absence makes the heart grow fonder" kind of thing. Other M takes place in between Super and Fusion, putting it toward the end of the Metroid timeline. Samus had been on her own for so long, that just seeing some human faces she recognized caused her to romanticize her past with them. After all, she's just as reverent towards Anthony as she is towards Adam.

I won't say it wasn't completely BOTCHED in execution, because it was, but I think this was closer to the intent.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
What if Sakurai tried his hardest to make Ridley work, but he and his team said it didn't work. Just because someone was not playable, doesn't mean that Sakurai didn't try to make it happen.

This is totally believable and something I didn't bring up in my large post.

Sakurai has said one of the reasons for a character not getting in is that he simply couldn't envision it at the time. And if he can't form the picture of every necessarily detail working together in his head, he's not going to pursue it. This very well could be what happened. Let's be real here: A lot of us can picture Ridley working. Some of us can come up with a moveset for Ridley. A few of us are willing to consider as many minute details as possible such as hitboxes, data, and the likes. But Sakurai needs to be able to visualize the most absolute and necessary details for over 39 characters. He wouldn't have time to dwell a long time on a particular few characters until he finally has his "AHA!" moment.

Should Ridley not be playable, this reason would be the most acceptable for me.

Now stating my purely personal conjecture again, but I feel Sakurai might be the kind of person who needs to see something to get the gears in his head turning. I speculate that, like me, Sakurai is an extroverted thinker. A lot of crazy stuff goes on in his head, but to make it solid may require exposing himself to an external catalyst to truly make his ideas tangible. To further speculate, I think it's possible that Other M may have inspired him to take this route. He could have saw the Ridley/Samus scenario, and ideas started to flood his mind until he decided "This is what I want to do". Again, my conjecture and speculation.

...But as somebody said, Other M is the gift that keeps on giving. :D

e____e

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I just want to point out there's a difference between Ridley (or any character really) detractors and RIdley non-predictors. When making predictions, the most important facet should be that the prediction is right, and not what you want. I don't think Ridley has been deconfirmed yet. Just want to point that out.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Oh yeah, there's something else I wanted to mention...

Has there been any situation where a stage was revealed before its related series had a brand new character revealed for it? I don't believe there was.

My point here isn't to further detract from the idea of playable Ridley. It's to detract from the idea of playable Anthony Higgs. REMEMBER HIM?

At one point I thought "...Well.... there is Anthony Higgs. I suppose I would board that train...". Then I realized that revealing this stage not only seriously threatened Ridley's chances, it seriously threatened what little chance Higgs had. Which makes this situation a DOUBLE SUCK. *groooaaaan*

Anomilus disliked this.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Like I say in the thread what series deserve another rep, my answer is METROID.

By the chance Ridley is not a playable character at least I will expect Dark Samus or one of the six Hunters in Metroid Prime Hunters or even Anthony Higgs (ugh is painful to write). If the only playable character is Samus and her ZSS form again without other rep, I will really be sad, Metroid is my favorite franchise and seeing series like StarFox (3), Kirby (3), Fire Emblem (3 if you count Roy), Donkey Kong (2) even the fn@#ing Earthbound (2) has more characters, is beyond my comprehension of what Sakurai thinks about Metroid.

I will lose any hope of seeing any other rep of Metroid in Smash until Sakurai steps down in being the director of the series.

.n_n.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I believe that we should all go to bed. All 22 of us users, and all of you guests out there. There's nothing much to discuss anymore. Let's go to other threads, discuss what we want, and just let Sakurai do his magic. I mean, over 10 pages were made today. Let's take a break. Goodnight, fellow Smashers.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Has there been any situation where a stage was revealed before its related series had a brand new character revealed for it? I don't believe there was.
In Brawl Castle Siege was revealed before Ike was (not on the DOJO, but in the reveal trailer).

And like legendofrob said, it's likely to happen with Little Mac and the boxing ring stage. And perhaps with Arena Ferox.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Not to detract our beloved crocodile, but in the case of a sidekick getting in over a main antagonist, I'm sure Anthony Higgs getting in over Ridley is a lot harder to swallow for most than say, Dixie Kong getting in over K. Rool...

I guess on that note, Dixie >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Anthony.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Honestly, I will never stop wanting or hoping for Ridley's inclusion. To me he will always be a worth Nintendo all-star, and he is still the most noteworthy character from a veteran franchise not yet playable.

It can be until Smash 7, and I will never change this conviction.

I have been up for over 36 hours. So no rousing speech for now. However, Ridley supporters, even if he is de-confirmed, that just means we will need to fight harder and more aggressively next time. :laugh:
But you yourself repeatedly stated that you won't follow Smash speculation anymore and stop playing video games altogether (except for playing old games for nostalgia's sake) after SSB4 since you are losing interest in video games as you get older. SSB7 probably might happen in 20 years from now (2033).

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Oh yeah, there's something else I wanted to mention...

My point here isn't to further detract from the idea of playable Ridley. It's to detract from the idea of playable Anthony Higgs. REMEMBER HIM?

At one point I thought "...Well.... there is Anthony Higgs. I suppose I would board that train...". Then I realized that revealing this stage not only seriously threatened Ridley's chances, it seriously threatened what little chance Higgs had. Which makes this situation a DOUBLE SUCK. *groooaaaan*
Yea I know that after a stage gets revealed a character gets revealed

Little mac and Chrom deconfirmed
Hold it right there just because little Mac didn't come with the boxing ring stage doesn't mean he got KO'd

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Hold it right there just because little Mac didn't come with the boxing ring stage doesn't mean he got KO'd
It was an obvious joke....

EDIT: the more I think about it, the more I think that those platforms are moving in that new stage. either that or there's really odd placement for the platforms.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
If he does, $10 says he doesn't care.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I'll be sad if Ridley is just a stage hazard. At the same time, I wouldn't mind seeing Ridley picking Ike up and dragging him along the walls of the stage :3

BTW, Samus looked to Adam as a father. She even said it, if anyone paid attention.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Assuming Sakurai can read english on a full level.

Shotguner159

Smash Apprentice
the reason she freaked out over Ridely in other M is because SHE THOUGHT SHE HAD ALREADY KILLED HIM.

if the person that killed your parents came back from the dead after you thought you killed him wouldn't you freak out?
She didn't freak out to that extent when she saw him in Prime, after she thought she killed him in the first game. Nor in Prime 3, after thinking she killed him in Prime and again later when she thought he was dead again. And not in Super Metroid, after thinking she killed him again in Prime 3.

LOL it seems like everyone here dissing other M hasn't played it

fyi no "text" went against established characteristics because there were cut scenes IN THE GAME that showed her rebelling against authority in her past.
Metroid Fusion takes place after this game and identifies the "hating taking orders" as being present, meaning the Other M is the sole outlier in regards to her hating taking orders thing.

And where in Other M does she say she hates taking orders.

Other M said:
It was the first joint mission I'd been a part of since becoming a freelance bounty hunter. And, of course, it was the first time since my Federation days that I was following the orders of a commanding officer. Having received mission orders from Adam, I felt confused and strangely exhilarated at the unexpected turn of events. I responded...

Understood, Adam. No objections, of course.
Strangely exhilarated doesn't sound like she hates taking orders.

Other M said:
Samus - Adam, I can reach him! Give me the order, please!
Adam - Lock and secure the shielding doors now!
Samus - Adam, wait! There's still time! I can make it! Please let me go! I mean... That's Ian! That's your little brother out there!
Wouldn't the Samus who killed Space Pirates during a scouting mission and destroyed BSL because they were the right thing to do against orders try to save him irregardless of orders given to her?

Going through Other Ms script, I can't find a single mention of her hating to take orders, something that should be present, given that it's there before (The Manga) and there afterward (Fusion).

she also agreed because using her abilities on an unknown ship could create dire consequences.
Yes, because the Space Jump, Grapple Beam, Varia Suit and Gravity Suit would have dire consequences if Samus used them with their lack of offensive capabilities.

Groose

Smash Champion
Yes, apparently Skyward Sword is the Devil of Zelda Games, and Other M is Satan in general.

I'm the only thing that saved Skyward Sword. If it weren't for the good 'ol Groosenator, the game would probably be hated as much as Other M. Which is a real shame, as I thought it was leaps and bounds better than Twilight Princess.

This thread is falling apart. In a week, we'll probably know the fate of Ridley. I'll try to bring some order here.

EVIDENCE FOR STAGE HAZARD:
1) The stage itself. It's a large and empty stage with plenty of room for a stage hazard to enter and become... a hazard. There's also a hole in the upper right-hand corner of the stage that could be used by Ridley to access the stage.

2) "At any second" quote. This little quote seems to suggest that a creature could appear at any second in the middle of a match. If it hints towards a playable character... a lot of seconds have passed without any news. It seems more likely that the quote describes a stage hazard instead of a tease... but if this is Ridley, anything is possible.

EVIDENCE FOR PLAYABLE:
1) Manner of the Reveal: Why wouldn't Sakurai just drop this on us in a way that's easier to swallow? Why is there so much drama for a stage hazard? Frankly, he should know the stage hazard will only serve to disappoint; he probably wouldn't treat the reveal in such a way. Everything about the way he's revealing things screams, "TEASE!"

PreciseMotion

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PreciseMotion
And as I have said before, I agree with you waifu. ;)

Few people, if any, buys home consoles for Pokémon games... at least not since like Pokémon Colosseum, which Nintendo is too stupid to not bring back.

Its almost 2014, hopefully this game will have a story like colosseum AND a battle mode like stadium, with easy online access and battles. Easily a console seller for me.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I'm the only thing that saved Skyward Sword. If it weren't for the good 'ol Groosenator, the game would probably be hated as much as Other M. Which is a real shame, as I thought it was leaps and bounds better than Twilight Princess.

This thread is falling apart. In a week, we'll probably know the fate of Ridley. I'll try to bring some order here.

EVIDENCE FOR STAGE HAZARD:
1) The stage itself. It's a large and empty stage with plenty of room for a stage hazard to enter and become... a hazard. There's also a hole in the upper right-hand corner of the stage that could be used by Ridley to access the stage.

2) "At any second" quote. This little quote seems to suggest that a creature could appear at any second in the middle of a match. If it hints towards a playable character... a lot of seconds have passed without any news. It seems more likely that the quote describes a stage hazard instead of a tease... but if this is Ridley, anything is possible.

EVIDENCE FOR PLAYABLE:
1) Manner of the Reveal: Why wouldn't Sakurai just drop this on us in a way that's easier to swallow? Why is there so much drama for a stage hazard? Frankly, he should know the stage hazard will only serve to disappoint; he probably wouldn't treat the reveal in such a way. Everything about the way he's revealing things screams, "TEASE!"
Thank you groose lets all just shut up. And wait and see what happens.

Groose

Smash Champion
Thank you groose lets all just shut up. And wait and see what happens.
The flames of argument are burning bright tonight, amigo. One cannot simply put out the forest fire. I'm preaching containment; prevent it from spreading with a little bit of logical reasoning. I never took an opinion; I never argued; I never fueled the fire. I'm just trying to bring logic and control to the anarchy of the blaze.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The flames of argument are burning bright tonight, amigo. One cannot simply put out the forest fire. I'm preaching containment; prevent it from spreading with a little bit of logical reasoning. I never took an opinion; I never argued; I never fueled the fire. I'm just trying to bring logic and control to the anarchy of the blaze.
Out of curiousity, what do you think is going to happen?

Not trying to drag you in or anything (so you don't have to reply if you don't want to) but I'm curious.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
it would suck if ridley was in the background. ONLY. in the background.

EDIT: I have 5 tabs of this thread open. WOW. this is your guys fault because you keep replying. :p

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
By the way, people saying being a stage element is a downgrade from boss, I don't buy it. After characters, it's stages people care about. Then probably, I dunno, music? Items? Being a BOSS kind of puts characters on a certain pedestal as having importance to the plot, BUT WHO CARES ABOUT PLOT IN SMASH? Who even plays the story mode more than once or when they're super bored. I wouldn't play Boss Rush if it wasn't for it being so hard to beat on Intense, lol.

POINT IS, as part of a stage, I can appreciate Ridley more often than as a boss. I hope he actually gets on the stage though instead of flying around in the background shooting fireballs.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
it would suck if ridley was in the background. ONLY. in the background.
If he's only in the background, then he probably got too big from eating all those Chozo Puffs when the player wasn't looking.

Top Bottom