• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

masterluigi1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2621-2623-2545
Did you even see my post?

Must I point out the differences twice?

Other M's Ridley has random spikes in the legs and arms.

His eyes are now green, smaller, and have no pupils.

His feet/lower claws look nothing like in his original design.

And the head just looks weird.

Take a good look and comparison.
*the spikes aren't really a big overhaul
*the eyes look smaller because in that pic he is grinning and because he has a smaller and more proportionate head.
* the green eyes make him look like a different person :rolleyes:
* he doesn't have pupils in either pic.
* the only thing that changed about his head is his lips are curled upward instead of inward making it look like a beak.

the only thing in that pic that changed considerably is his feet.

so as I said... it looks just like ridley only muscular.

bobadz

Smash Ace
The thing is that Ridley supporters have been waiting since Melee, and at this point with so few notable Nintendo characters left to add (especially from veteran franchises), I think there is at least some reason for you to understand why Ridley supporters are upset with Sakurai.
Chrono, I agree, but it's possible Ridley is playable.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'm not surprised that ChronoBound is being a ***** about this whole thing. Him getting upset because a character he wants isn't in and refusing to buy a game because of that? That's pathetic, characters are not the only thing in Super Smash Bros. people so stop pretending it is. There is not going to be any apocalypse in this whole ordeal.
And this is why Habanero wins the award for being the biggest Deadpan Snarker in Smashboards history.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
If Ridley is confirmed or deconfirmed this week, this site just might implode. I haven't had this much anticipation since being in John's skype call waiting for the Smash4 trailer. The site is on edge people. THE SITE IS ON EDGE!

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I dunno why you're making such a big deal about Chrono. Ridley was what he was looking forward to most about this Smash, and if it doesn't have Ridley why would he bother with it when he barely plays games anymore.

ANYWAY, If someone like RIDLEY can't get into Smash, I wonder what that says about the rest of the roster...? K. Rool was in a pretty similar boat to him...

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Keep in mind Ridley was the only character I was hoping for with Smash 4. Brawl was pretty much a perfect game to me most respects in regards to being a Smash Bros. title. I really just needed Ridley, Mewtwo, and Roy and I would not have even followed Smash 4.

So I don't understand why people are jumping down my throat and flaming me when the only reason I had any reason to get Smash 4 was taken out of the picture.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
LOOK

I know the tensions are high with everything right now, and we're in a state of uncertainty, and this might be a very big deal to some people, and that's understandable, but everybody still needs to STAY CIVIL and ffs try not to attack each other. Everybody just CALM DOWN, no more name-calling, no more flaming.

Thanks. ;)

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
*the spikes aren't really a big overhaul
*the eyes look smaller because in that pic he is grinning and because he has a smaller and more proportionate head.
* the green eyes make him look like a different person :rolleyes:
* he doesn't have pupils in either pic.
* the only thing that changed about his head is his lips are curled upward instead of inward making it look like a beak.

the only thing in that pic that changed considerably is his feet.

so as I said... it looks just like ridley only muscular.
The size of the spikes don't have much to do with anything...

And he does indeed have pupils in Brawl. Take a closer look.

And the duck bill looks quite ugly to most, including me.

So saying he looks JUST like Ridley only muscular. is an exaggeration. You can keep telling yourself that, but you seem rather stubborn about it to me. You admitted the differences, and yet you still said the same thing about him looking the same only muscular.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
To me, Ridley's Other M design looks much better in Dead or Alive as they cleaned up the model (can anyone post that btw? I can't find the image) so I wouldn't mind either way.

i.e. Other M haters being buttmad about how it's being repped in SSB4.

And as far as I'm concerned, the pre-Zero Mission manga that established the beginning of Samus and Ridley's history is canon.
It actually was established even earlier then that, it was in the Super Metroid Japanese manual IIRC.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
LOOK

I know the tensions are high with everything right now, and we're in a state of uncertainty, and this might be a very big deal to some people, and that's understandable, but everybody still needs to STAY CIVIL and ffs try not to attack each other. Everybody just CALM DOWN, no more name-calling, no more flaming.

Thanks. ;)
Suddenly an angel came down from the heavens to bring peace!

masterluigi1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2621-2623-2545
It really doesn't though, but go ahead and keep telling yourself that.

The manga aren't canon, so don't bring those into it.
How about in Fusion, when she talks about her rebellious streak and hatred of taking orders? Or argues with her superiors instead of bowing her head and walking through a room of fire without her Varia suit because her boyfriend didn't say she could use it? Or is essentially the exact opposite of how she's portrayed in Other M?
The scene with her sobbing in front of Ridley is complete bull****. She's beaten him many times before without turning into a child. Even in Zero Mission, where they could've retconned her reaction to him, they didn't. Why? Because Samus is not a subservient, sobbing airhead who can't do anything without some guy--whose orders she didn't even have to follow!--telling her to do it.

I don't understand how even from a gameplay perspective you can think Other M was better. The controls were terrible and there was next to no exploration. It didn't play like a Metroid game.
Actually the mangs IS CANNON
lol
did you actually play other M?
she hated taking orders in Other M and it tells about her rebellious streak in other M also.

the reason she freaked out over Ridely in other M is because SHE THOUGHT SHE HAD ALREADY KILLED HIM.

if the person that killed your parents came back from the dead after you thought you killed him wouldn't you freak out?

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
This s_it is still going on.....well everyone was arguing about the screenshot now everyone is arguing against each other.......

Remember when i said would we get a confirm/deconfirm before 200 pages....that screenshot will take us beyond 200...by tomorrow morning...reguardless of the next pic...like.....wtf....

This is ********....im dreading tommorow morning when i gotta swim through all the Bull* again to catch up...please dont turn this thread into that bull* general discussion s_it that was beyond ******** to keep up with and wasent worth it....

Im out....Peace....see you lot 2moro.....

Shotguner159

Smash Apprentice
please enlighten me what was shown about samus' characterization before other M? and in which games?
the only thing that was told about her was in the Manga
and in that samus has post dramatic stress dissorder.
And by the end of that manga, Samus no longer has PTSD regarding Ridley. Fusion also established Samus as disliking taking orders from a commanding officer. Two points of characterization regarding Samus that Other M ignored.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I dunno why you're making such a big deal about Chrono. Ridley was what he was looking forward to most about this Smash, and if it doesn't have Ridley why would he bother with it when he barely plays games anymore.

ANYWAY, If someone like RIDLEY can't get into Smash, I wonder what that says about the rest of the roster...? K. Rool was in a pretty similar boat to him...
I have already said my peace about Ridley being de-confirmed.

I having nothing more to say. At best I will try to talk to the most articulate Ridley supporters about what needs to be done in the future, and situation we will likely face.

As for K. Rool, yeah Ridley being de-confirmed hurts him as well. However, in his favor at least he is requested among the Japanese. However, keep in mind Roy is also highly requested among the Japanese, yet most people outside GameFAQs don't think he has a plausible chance of getting in.

I am curious to see though what happens if both Ridley and K. Rool don't make it, and it turns out that the only highly requested newcomers that do get in are Mewtwo and Little Mac.

I think Smash 4 will be better through a gameplay standpoint than Brawl (and more balanced), but I think in terms of the newcomer additions, there is definitely going to be a lot less excitement this time around and a lot more disappointment (easily can see nearly all of the Top 10 most wanted characters for Smash 4 not making it in).

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Only in the Ridley thread, where people are so blinded by their love for an..unlinkely character. Anything against him is immediately flamed by supporters of Ridley.
I'm not blinded by it, but you seem to overexaggerate how unlikely he is.

And when you came here you just said Ridley was obviously going to be a hazard, with no explaination behind why you think it is. All you said is that he'll come out of the hole and attack, that's not very convincing. That's only likely what he would do if he was a hazard.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
This s_it is still going on.....well everyone was arguing about the screenshot now everyone is arguing against each other.......

Remember when i said would we get a confirm/deconfirm before 200 pages....that screenshot will take us beyond 200...by tomorrow morning...reguardless of the next pic...like.....wtf....
like I said, unless sakuri pulls a fast one and reveals him when we are in the 190's

loganhogan

Smash Ace
Keep in mind Ridley was the only character I was hoping for with Smash 4. Brawl was pretty much a perfect game to me most respects in regards to being a Smash Bros. title. I really just needed Ridley, Mewtwo, and Roy and I would not have even followed Smash 4.

So I don't understand why people are jumping down my throat and flaming me when the only reason I had any reason to get Smash 4 was taken out of the picture.
If Brawl was perfect for you and they added one or two of your favorites but missed just one wouldn't satisfy you? There's a risk, we don't always get what we want. Your wording indicates there is a reasonably big amount of characters you already enjoy. At least you're much luckier than those who have few or none.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I want Ridley to be revealed as SOMETHING soon.

Hopefully playable, not just because it would be so incredibly awesome, but also because it would greatly lower the level of arguing in this thread.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
What if (assuming Ridley is a stage hazard)...

Sakurai is revealing this early so he can stop getting requests for him?

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Actually the mangs IS CANNON
lol
My apologies then.

did you actually play other M?
she hated taking orders in Other M and it tells about her rebellious streak in other M also.
No. I refuse to. But I watched the movie, twice. And the scenes are the biggest problem with Other M. I can guarantee you that if she'd had the Varia suit and been ordered not to use it in Fusion, she would've ignored the hell out of that order.

the reason she freaked out over Ridely in other M is because SHE THOUGHT SHE HAD ALREADY KILLED HIM.

if the person that killed your parents came back from the dead after you thought you killed him wouldn't you freak out?
Yeah maybe, but first of all, I'm not a crazy awesome bounty hunter who has singlehandedly saved the world many times (and fought this creature nearly every time she'd done so), and secondly, why didn't she flip out about Ridley-X? I mean, Other M would mark the second time she'd seen him die, and Fusion comes after that.

D

Deleted member

I personally want to see the whole roster at this point. I know that would be impossible to do, but I rather be pleased/disappointed now than the day SSB4 gets released.

As for Ridley, I hope there is some clarity as to what his role will be in SSB4 soon. I hope before the end of this week, but that would be wishful thinking.

Hong

The Strongest
Tomorrow: new item.

A 1/4000 scale figurine of Ridley that can be thrown at enemies. The damage it deals increases by 1% for every player that didn't buy the game because he isn't playable, so about 4%.

Sorry folks. I actually would love for Ridley to be in the game. I just can't skip this opportunity to make bad jokes.

nessokman

Smash Lord
I'm not blinded by it, but you seem to overexaggerate how unlikely he is.

And when you came here you just said Ridley was obviously going to be a hazard, with no explaination behind why you think it is. All you said is that he'll come out of the hole and attack, that's not very convincing. That's only likely what he would do if he was a hazard.
I said him being a hazard was most likely, read harder my child

masterluigi1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2621-2623-2545
And by the end of that manga, Samus no longer has PTSD regarding Ridley. Fusion also established Samus as disliking taking orders from a commanding officer. Two points of characterization regarding Samus that Other M ignored.
Ignored?

did you even play other M?

in other M she tells how in the past she was rebelious and "naive" and that she has grown up.
The size of the spikes don't have much to do with anything...

And he does indeed have pupils in Brawl. Take a closer look.

And the duck bill looks quite ugly to most, including me.

So saying he looks JUST like Ridley only muscular. is an exaggeration. You can keep telling yourself that, but you seem rather stubborn about it to me. You admitted the differences, and yet you still said the same thing about him looking the same only muscular.
when I say he looks just like ridley, only more muscular, i mean that the changes made to his design were not THAT considerable.
he still looks just like ridley.

and i'll admit that the beak isn't too great but that big head is worse to me.

those arn't pupils it's a yellow eye gradient.

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
Ignored?

in other M she tells how in the past she was rebelious and "naive" and that she has grown up.
BOTH OF YOU ARE WRONG. FUSION TAKES PLACE AFTER OTHER M. EVERYTHING IN FUSION DOESN'T AFFECT OTHER M.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Ignored?

what?

wait. WAHT?

I've never played either game, but I know it's REALLY BAD for any sort of "text" to go against established characteristics like that. It has to be reasoned REALLY BADLY. like a magic spell... or brainwashing. Even then, it just doesn't feel right...

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
he's not deconfirmed yet, is he?

NEVER CRY UNTIL THE ENDING!
No he's not he's not deconfirmed I just sick of every one assuming all because of a quote on the picture of the day. yes it proves Ridleys in but no idea on which branch of smash bros boss/hazard/and the wanted part playable

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You know who else he acknowledged the popularity of?

#NeverForget

Also, Sakurai made Uprising. Of course he'd mention characters from that game by name.
Sakurai also mentioned how famous Meowth is on the Brawl Dojo and on Meowth's Brawl trophy but even I don't think he's getting in. I have long accepted that since 2007. If Sakurai surprises me with a playable Meowth, I won't complain about it.

Just because Sakurai mentions how popular/famous a character is doesn't mean that character is getting in. :rolleyes:

masterluigi1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2621-2623-2545
No. I refuse to. But I watched the movie, twice. And the scenes are the biggest problem with Other M. I can guarantee you that if she'd had the Varia suit and been ordered not to use it in Fusion, she would've ignored the hell out of that order.
that is an assumption based off of nothing

Yeah maybe, but first of all, I'm not a crazy awesome bounty hunter who has singlehandedly saved the world many times (and fought this creature nearly every time she'd done so), and secondly, why didn't she flip out about Ridley-X? I mean, Other M would mark the second time she'd seen him die, and Fusion comes after that.
remember fusion is after other m

and because she'd already experienced that for the first time during other m. she most likely learned from her mistakes

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Actual translation: Brawl's gameplay was stupid, the gameplay direction was stupid, and spending most of the development time on the SSE was stupid.

Also, I am not "entitled" to anything financially but to freely earn money, inherit money, and spend it on my own stuff.

Stop putting words into my mouth you 300 post scrub, and stop pulling out your strawman arguments.

@ Opossum
I lost respect for you liking his post. Don't be an idiot, or I'll leak.
I just liked it because I thought it was a bit funny, that's all.

But there is one thing, though, and that is that while I respect your opinion of Sakurai's design decisions, I disagree for the most part. I don't see anything particularly wrong with it, but eh.

That, and on another note, trying to demean someone by their amount of posts isn't exactly civil.

ANYWAY, we all just need to calm down. Ridley's fate is still up in the air, and I have faith that he'll pull through.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
The minute I leave to go to the grocery store to get some chocolate milk and spaghetti, you guys are at each other's necks! FOR SHAME!

So, let's just talk now: I'm asking for a Wii U for Christmas. When I get it, I'm going to get Smash Bros. And hear me out: If Ridley is not in the game, I will go to extremes by sighing, saying "Oh well, maybe next time" and then continue to buy the game.

You guys are seeing Ridley in HOLES IN A WALL! Sakurai's trying to get hype up to the point where everyone is paying attention. If they didn't reveal Mega Man, and then suddenly showed Mario getting attacked by a few lemon-like shots and a Metal Blade WITH NO CLEAR EVIDENCE IT WAS FROM MEGA MAN, we'd all go nuts. And if he didn't reveal it was Mega Man who fired them until near release, it would hype us up even more. If you seriously heard that Sakurai hinted that Ridley would be in-game, would you NOT flock to your friends and squee?

So, in conclusion, I don't think we'll be seeing Ridley any time soon, until release. If he showed off a sized-down Ridley and titled it "Boss Battle", we'd go INSANE. He'd show it on Pyrosphere and say "Is that a stage hazard?" and we'd go insane, only for 3 months later to say "Looks like Ridley isn't confined to the Pyrosphere" and show him attacking a Final Smash Ball, we'd all basically call Sakurai our hero and name our children after him, or, even worse, ask him to have our babies (even if we're guys).

BE LOGICAL, GUYS!

Top Bottom