• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

nessokman

Smash Lord
It is obviously a stage hazard. A few seconds into the game, Ridley bursts through the wall, lava begins pouring out of the wall, Ridley shoots fireballs from the background. Given there is a hole where hole where he appears that is the most likely option

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Let's compare designs, shall we?

Brawl kind of tried to stay as true to the normal Ridley design as possible.

Now, while I don't mind the Other M Ridley being more muscular, there are several issues with it;

First off, random spikes, that's out of the way. Second, his eyes are smaller, have no pupils, and are colored green. His feet/claws look nothing like in his original design, and that face....THAT FACE. It's just not right!

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
So I guess now we're at the part where the common sheepSakurai Squad is accusing every Ridley supporter of being an ape**** or butthurt fanboy. Oh boy, here we go.
I said that this morning that anyone who disagrees with Sakurai's decision to make Ridley nonplayable will be labelled a bitter fanboy by the legions of sychophants.

These are the same people that labelled the SSE as a "masterpiece" and "Kirby Superstar 2" back when Brawl was released.

Personally, in their eyes, Sakurai is absolutely infallible.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I don't know how long the Wii U will last; the Wii only made it 2012 because of region-locking; take that away and it died in 2010 or 2011, which means it lasted like 5 or 6 years. Given how the Wii U isn't selling at all, I'd say it's crazy now to predict the Wii U lasting any longer.
If the Wii U fails to pick up this holiday season, then I can easily see Iwata stepping down.

The Wii U will likely last five years, which was the how long the SNES, N64, and GameCube all lasted before their successor consoles were introduced. However, there is the possibility that the Wii U only has a four year lifespan.

Things look really bleak for the Wii U. At best I would say its going to outsell the Nintendo 64 (which did around 35 million), but sell under what the SNES, NES, and Wii did.

The fact is that Nintendo has burnt many bridges. One with its casual audience (the Wii Fit and Wii Sports crowd though likely moved onto stuff like Angry Birds), one with hardcore gamers (I don't think Bayonetta 2 and X will be enough to make them shell out for a $350 console), and one with Nintendo fans (being incredibly lazy with 2D Mario, the abortion that was Other M, and Skyward Sword being riddled with problems).

The one hardcore series Nintendo had for home consoles was Zelda, and Nintendo pretty much left a bad taste in many people's mouths with that title (EVERY single person I know in real life who has played that game had no kind things to say about it). Skyward Sword is pretty much the FFXIII of the Zelda brand.

bobadz

Smash Ace
I said that this morning that anyone who disagrees with Sakurai's decision to make Ridley nonplayable will be labelled a bitter fanboy by the legions of sychophants.

These are the same people that labelled the SSE as a "masterpiece" and "Kirby Superstar 2" back when Brawl was released.

Personally, in their eyes, Sakurai is absolutely infallible.
One it's the way you guys act is what gets mocked, and two, that's every game ever.

masterluigi1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2621-2623-2545
Actually, no. A lot of the designs in Other M are just plain bad. We don't need pretend reasons to not like ugly things.
what was so ugly samus and ridley?

No, most people hate on Ridley's design because it doesn't look like Ridley.

And anyone who enjoyed Other M (the most linear Metroid game that has ever existed with a characterization of Samus that goes against everything that has ever been shown about her) more than the others clearly either didn't play or didn't appreciate others such as Super, Fusion, or Prime.

Also, implying Other M has no faults.
no it looks just like ridley only muscular.

please enlighten me what was shown about samus' characterization before other M? and in which games?
the only thing that was told about her was in the Manga
and in that samus has post dramatic stress dissorder.
I played and appreciated both fusion and the prime games but personally I think Other M was a better game than those.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
If the worst happens, I really don't want to see anyone here turn into Tom Nook or Toon Link supporters. "There must be more than one Tom Nook if you can visit him in different towns." "There are different Toon Links depending on the time line." "It could just be another clone of Ridley."
I am more afraid of Ridley supporters becoming Roy supporters than anything else. Basically people who are numerous yet let the detractors walk all over them, and are pessimistic to a fault (I am talking about Smash 5).

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Here's a question that people are forgetting to ask for the skeptical people saying. Ridley is deconfirmed/stage hazard we should be asking can you prove Ridley is a stage hazard or boss again and none of the Ridleys too big crap will not be proof or anything simular to the too big garbage

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
If the Wii U fails to pick up this holiday season, then I can easily see Iwata stepping down.

The Wii U will likely last five years, which was the how long the SNES, N64, and GameCube all lasted before their successor consoles were introduced. However, there is the possibility that the Wii U only has a four year lifespan.

Things look really bleak for the Wii U. At best I would say its going to outsell the Nintendo 64 (which did around 35 million), but sell under what the SNES, NES, and Wii did.

The fact is that Nintendo has burnt many bridges. One with its casual audience (the Wii Fit and Wii Sports crowd though likely moved onto stuff like Angry Birds), one with hardcore gamers (I don't think Bayonetta 2 and X will be enough to make them shell out for a $350 console), and one with Nintendo fans (being incredibly lazy with 2D Mario, the abortion that was Other M, and Skyward Sword being riddled with problems).

The one hardcore series Nintendo had for home consoles was Zelda, and Nintendo pretty much left a bad taste in many people's mouths with that title (EVERY single person I know in real life who has played that game had no kind things to say about it). Skyward Sword is pretty much the FFXIII of the Zelda brand.
Agreed, the WIi U looks rather bleak as of now.

If they don't step it up by this holiday season, it may be too late. If it doesn't pick up by then, I'll just have to keep faith in a new Zelda and a new Metroid.

Pikmin 3 helped a bit recently though.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Not surprised to see Chrono', and johns pessimism.
The Wii U having an uncertain (and perhaps bleak) future is not pessimism, its pretty much the reality of the situation for the console. I am not certain, but I think right now the console is even tracking worse than the GameCube did.

I think Smash 4 Wii U is probably going to end up being the lowest selling Smash Bros. game.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Did you even see my post?

Must I point out the differences twice?

Other M's Ridley has random spikes in the legs and arms.

His eyes are now green, smaller, and have no pupils.

His feet/lower claws look nothing like in his original design.

And the head just looks weird.

Take a good look and comparison.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I'm not surprised that ChronoBound is being a ***** about this whole thing. Him getting upset because a character he wants isn't in and refusing to buy a game because of that? That's pathetic, characters are not the only thing in Super Smash Bros. people so stop pretending it is. There is not going to be any apocalypse in this whole ordeal.

bobadz

Smash Ace
I'm not surprised that ChronoBound is being a ***** about this whole thing. Him getting upset because a character he wants isn't in and refusing to buy a game because of that? That's pathetic, characters are not the only thing in Super Smash Bros. people so stop pretending it is. There is not going to be any apocalypse in this whole ordeal.
How can I like this post more?

The Wii U having an uncertain (and perhaps bleak) future is not pessimism, its pretty much the reality of the situation for the console. I am not certain, but I think right now the console is even tracking worse than the GameCube did.

I think Smash 4 Wii U is probably going to end up being the lowest selling Smash Bros. game.
The thing is I agree with you, but this is the Ridley thread not the general discussion thread.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Did you even see my post?

Must I point out the differences twice?

Other M's Ridley has random spikes in the legs and arms.

His eyes are now green, smaller, and have no pupils.

His feet/lower claws look nothing like in his original design.

And the head just looks weird.

Take a good look and comparison.

Both are creepy but I hope they take a Star Fox approch and do a "best of" model for Ridley. Kind of like how Link in ssb4 is 75% Twilight Princess 25% Skyward Sword.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
I am more afraid of Ridley supporters becoming Roy supporters than anything else. Basically people who are numerous yet let the detractors walk all over them, and are pessimistic to a fault (I am talking about Smash 5).
I'm afraid of any support group becoming like the Roy supporters.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Nice hyperbole. You're no stranger to it.

Hong

The Strongest
This stage proves Ridley has been in the series all along, but he is too big to fit through the door and can't get into the arena. You can see an impression in the wall in the shape of his head, where he crashed after under-estimating the structural integrity of the power plant.

RIP Ridley. Don't worry. Next Smash Bros will have a Tecmo Bowl football stadium as a stage, which might allow enough room to comfortably sit if you squish in a bit.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
If that character your talking about is Ridley

For the 100th time none of you people have proof Ridley failed to become playable again. It depends on tomarrow or some other day picture.if Ridleys in a trailer that's it skeptical people loose and wanters win

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Ummm... he could change smash forever.

Grab in the air, be a "land launcher" who sends land characters in the air, be really weak on the ground/strong in the air, he could have grab chain combos in the air, etc.

Basically stuff no other top smash character candidate can do.

Pretty much Ridley could be to Smash Wii U and 3DS what Snake and Olimar are to Brawl and the Ice Climbers are to Melee: the most unique characters in the game who add dimensions that no other character does (which is exactly something that Smash Brothers could always use more of).
That's a possibility, but not necessarily something attached to the actual character. It could have been Charizard that had those stats, or King Dedede. Just because you have an idea that's unique doesn't mean they would actually use it.
Also I question how this changes Smash forever.

PreciseMotion

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PreciseMotion
Okay, time for a hypothetical. Ridley is not the next character reveal. Would you say then that he's a stage hazard for sure?

Well, I'd assume he wouldn't be anyway, until closer to release. Based on the way things are going now, Olimar was revealed to promote Pikmin 3. Luigi was revealed to promote Dream Team. So I'd assume a Pokemon or 2 will be revealed soon closer to X and Y's release, infact I'm almost sure a pokemon will be revealed. And maybe Sonic closer to Lost Worlds release... etc.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm getting flashbacks to the Brawl hype. Not pleasant ones.

bobadz

Smash Ace
If that character your talking about is Ridley

For the 100th time none of you people have proof Ridley failed to become playable again. It depends on tomarrow or some other day picture.if Ridleys in a trailer that's it skeptical people loose and wanters win
Thing is, people are acting like its the end of the world. But your right, we don't have proof.

I'm getting flashbacks to the Brawl hype. Not pleasant ones.
Agreed.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think we're all getting a little too hostile.

Calm down people!

PreciseMotion

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PreciseMotion
The Wii U isn't selling because it's been poorly marketed, it doesn't have a clear target audience, NEW SMB is overrated as heck, Nintendo Land doesn't have that much appeal as Wii Sports, region-locking is stupid, people doubt Nintendo's ability to make a good online infrastructure and gameplay, bad console timing, and oh, none of the games on the console are "must buy games."

The only games that IMO could quantify as "must buy games" are Super Mario generic World, DKC Tropical Freeze (it will be a small version of this), Mario Kart random generic number, and Smash Wii U. We haven't seen anything else that looks that good, and honestly, I doubt Zelda would move that many units (again), especially after how lackluster Skyward Sword was with its' gameplay and its' sales.

Watch the end of this video, from 2:14-2:18. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ifspg5ZCkw&lc=3Q_ci7jahlQyVJtIxcna0XMGl0y-hmHQQxZyZrYAUYs
That'll definitely be a system seller.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Nice hyperbole. You're no stranger to it.
ChronoBound said:
With the latest update, I think Ridley's chances are pretty suspect. Ridley has been a character I have wanted in since 1999 for Smash Bros., and was by far my most wanted character for Smash Bros. for over a decade.

With no other characters that I am hoping for (aside from two Melee vets), I pretty much have no real reason to stick around here.

I want to go and add in Ridley, Mewtwo, Roy and Leon (RE) to Brawl via hacks, and basically re-create my own desirable roster for Smash Bros. with basically a roster the same size of Brawl's (I know hack characters replace characters on the roster). Personally, I plan to replace Zero Suit Samus with Ridley, Toon Link with Roy, Lucario with Mewtwo, and Snake with Leon.

Here are the hacks for Ridley, Mewtwo, and Roy I have in mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lxVkSaVgm1A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9xTX49mHqb0

I am really curious about how to add-in hacked characters to Brawl. I have downloaded every update there is for the Wii though.

I am disappointed with yet another Ridley de-confirmation, but I pretty much decided to put a playable version of Ridley into my own hands now that Sakurai is adamant about it never happening.

I appreciate your time and patience.
Ridley being de-confirmed will easily kill any hype I had for Smash 4.

Sorry, but Brawl pretty much added every other Nintendo character that was worth it to be added.

I am already looking into hacking Brawl. There are some pretty nifty Brawl hacks for Ridley. I also want to hack in Mewtwo and Roy, and possibly add in one more hacked in character to replace Snake.

I am going to do what Sakurai won't.

The hacking process is pretty daunting though. However, having Ridley, Mewtwo, and Roy alongside the rest of the Brawl cast (with the exception of like three Brawl characters) is already a perfect roster in my eyes.

Nintendo has been burning lots of bridges with me lately. Laziness with the 2D Marios, the abomination that was Other M, Skyward Sword being an extremely weak Zelda despite them spending five years on it (five years for a freaking Wii game), and turning FE into animu stuff.

I already had a depreciating interest in games (especially with all of the crap and bad trends going on with modern ones), however, I am glad that Sakurai will be giving us an answer as to what he plans to do with Ridley this time instead of having me wait until the game's release for it to happen.

The one silver lining to me if Ridley is de-confirmed is that I no longer will have to be exposed to the mass idiocy and fanboyism that makes up much of gaming communities. I am pretty much done with gaming, and won't have to spend a single minute of my time debating a brain dead fanbrat, let alone legions of them.

I am sure there will be loads of sychophants who will say making Ridley a NPC again was the right decision, but personally I won't care, because out of sight and out of mind.

One of the lessons I learned in life is that after you have people constantly disappoint you, you pretty much have to take matters into your own hands and do the job you expected of them yourself.

That is pretty much what my last grief about Smash Bros. is going to be, doing the job that I expected and wanted Sakurai to do, but didn't.

I know plenty of you will flame me for being "butthurt" or a "fanboy", but honestly Ridley was the one character I have been looking forward to for so long, and especially considering how few noteworthy Nintendo characters there are left that are even worthy to add in, I am not giving Sakurai the pass that I did with Brawl and Melee.

Sorry Sakurai, but demoting Ridley to a stage hazard as you have progressively given him a bigger role with each Smash Bros. game is a really bad move.

Feel free to PM me about links and tutorial for me to figure out how to hack these handful of characters into my copy of Brawl, and which hacks for Ridley, Mewtwo, and Roy are the best (I already found a Roy hack that I particularly like).

I am really tired, and I sound kind disjointed or robotic, but honestly, I am glad that we will be getting closure about Ridley soon.

Hopefully, hacking characters into a copy of Brawl (disc) won't be as daunting as it so far looks to be.

Good riddance idiots and fanboys.

I am happy about those that did appreciate my works and writings, and I am sure there will be a few that will miss me, but honestly, my passion for Smash 4 was with Ridley, and pretty much just Ridley alone. I can't see any reason to look forward to the game with Ridley no longer a character prospect, especially with Brawl having added in pretty much every other character that I possibly could have been hyped about.
I don't appreciate people jumping down my throat for me being upset that Ridley not being playable. All I said is that I won't follow or purchase the game. Is that really objectionable especially considering I pretty much have a weak interest in games for years now?
Your words, just remember.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
It really doesn't though, but go ahead and keep telling yourself that.

please enlighten me what was shown about samus' characterization before other M? and in which games?
the only thing that was told about her was in the Manga
and in that samus has post dramatic stress dissorder.
I played and appreciated both fusion and the prime games but personally I think Other M was a better game than those.
The manga aren't canon, so don't bring those into it.
How about in Fusion, when she talks about her rebellious streak and hatred of taking orders? Or argues with her superiors instead of bowing her head and walking through a room of fire without her Varia suit because her boyfriend didn't say she could use it? Or is essentially the exact opposite of how she's portrayed in Other M?
The scene with her sobbing in front of Ridley is complete bull****. She's beaten him many times before without turning into a child. Even in Zero Mission, where they could've retconned her reaction to him, they didn't. Why? Because Samus is not a subservient, sobbing airhead who can't do anything without some guy--whose orders she didn't even have to follow!--telling her to do it.

I don't understand how even from a gameplay perspective you can think Other M was better. The controls were terrible and there was next to no exploration. It didn't play like a Metroid game.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
I still don't understand the enthusiasm behind Ridley supporters.
If Rhythm Heaven or King K. Rool got reduced to stickers in Smash 4 I wouldn't think any less of it.
Getting a character you want in the game is more of a treat than it is a privilege.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
i.e. Other M haters being buttmad about how it's being repped in SSB4.

And as far as I'm concerned, the pre-Zero Mission manga that established the beginning of Samus and Ridley's history is canon.

bobadz

Smash Ace
If Rhythm Heaven or King K. Rool got reduced to stickers in Smash 4 I wouldn't think any less of it.
Getting a character you want in the game is more of a treat than it is a privilege.
I'd be disappointed if K Rool, or Dixie doesn't get in.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The thing is that Ridley supporters have been waiting since Melee, and at this point with so few notable Nintendo characters left to add (especially from veteran franchises), I think there is at least some reason for you to understand why Ridley supporters are upset with Sakurai.

Top Bottom